Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/shoutfactory/status/1620083699122573312

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that is a vastly better selection than vol. 1 but still a bit of a piss take on the pricing

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

I'd be all over this if I still did physical media, my friend still loves BD maybe he'll grab

Never heard of Winners n Sinners and Twinkle, they good?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've bought more discs in the last 2 years than at any point in the last decade, tired of stupid mergers and licensing arguments making things disappear, plus at this point I just buy everything that pops up on criterion that's a movie I love, their 2 sales a year are great

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

qirex posted:

I've bought more discs in the last 2 years than at any point in the last decade, tired of stupid mergers and licensing arguments making things disappear, plus at this point I just buy everything that pops up on criterion that's a movie I love, their 2 sales a year are great

:same:

My ps4 is now a fancy blu ray player.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i will never subscribe to that lovely paramount+ service

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i will never subscribe to that lovely paramount+ service

i had it for a time because i absolutely needed to watch every iteration of rupaul's drag race (for my wife, you see)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

paramount is on the "sign up for sixty days twice a year" list, once I'm done with ds9 and dexter it's on to the next one

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
they had a deal that was like $5 for 6 months or something so i went ahead and did it. i wouldn't pay monthly obviously but its nice to be able to throw on some star trek or something to go to sleep

loving garbage rear end app though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also there is a way to sidestep the paramount app by using apple tv channels but i haven't figured out how to link them if the signup is through paramount (if it's even possible)

i've found that there's a way to sign in to the paramount app if you subscribed through apple, but not the other way around. poo poo sucks

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

qirex posted:

same. i need to figure out a storage solution for the tv area or get off my rear end and set up a nas with plex so i can toss em all in plastic bins.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

paramount runs free month deals all the time, check slickdeals for codes. just cancel before fee hits. I’m watching it for free right now

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

they had a deal that was like $5 for 6 months or something so i went ahead and did it. i wouldn't pay monthly obviously but its nice to be able to throw on some star trek or something to go to sleep

loving garbage rear end app though

they have a ton of garbage cowboy movies and sci-fi on there from paramount devouring bankrupt studios through the decades

i constantly have to add more poo poo to my pihole whitelist for them though which is annoying as hell.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pmchem posted:

paramount runs free month deals all the time, check slickdeals for codes. just cancel before fee hits. I’m watching it for free right now

yeah this is true too. just make sure you cancel it though, luckily they make it pretty easy

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

they have a ton of garbage cowboy movies and sci-fi on there from paramount devouring bankrupt studios through the decades

i constantly have to add more poo poo to my pihole whitelist for them though which is annoying as hell.

lol :yossame: loving preroll ads? seriously

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just buy and/or download everything i want to see that's on paramount+. ms jones has a discovery+ sub, and we have disney and netflix and amazon prime and apple tv. that's enough imo. i am not interested in janitoring deals, i already pay $3 a month for unlimited usenet or whatever and this server's gonna be running no matter what so :shrug:

lmao paramount plays ads? loving hell no chance am i paying money to get advertised at

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

right now it's just ads for other paramount stuff, and they're pretty infrequent (i leave trek on a lot as a sort of comfort food thing i guess). but they're also completely unrelated to whatever you're watching so you randomly get a teaser for top gun 2: top this or jeremy renner's mayor simulator

i do not really pay attention to the ads though so those descriptions may be slightly inaccurate lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

jeremy renner's mayor simulator
lmao :discourse:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

qirex posted:

this is how i feel. im still saving for my plex server but in the meantime im copping blurays of poo poo i like because i too am sick of licensing and also how some rips are 120 fuckin gb now

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beeftweeter posted:

jeremy renner's mayor simulator

:ohdear: not the mayor!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like jerry mcguire yeah ill take a 16gb 4k rip but lmao i watched a 4k john wick rip with awful compression that made it basically unwatchable at points and that also sucked

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

continuing to watch older films I've never seen, and Heat is easily the best so far. what a film, the cast, the absolutely phenomenal location and camera work. i know it's said a lot but they really don't make films like that anymore

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I almost teared up when de niro drives into the tunnel and it's all white. then you see him fidgeting, drat. at first I thought it was a little cheesy how he and pacino were cast the "wrong" way around but it worked perfectly

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah Heat is incredible. one of the rare movies that fully earns its nearly 3 hour runtime

e: by which I mean, could you cut some scenes or even lines and tell essentially the same story? sure, but it wouldn't be as good. like you could lose the whole Natalie Portman or Dennis Hayesbert plot and it's the same movie about the same people, but it'd lose so much of its punch.

one of my favorite parts is the scene where Al Pacino is gonna say "cause she's got a BIG rear end" but clearly stop himself mid-line and changes it to "great rear end"

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 30, 2023

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

distortion park posted:

continuing to watch older films I've never seen, and Heat is easily the best so far. what a film, the cast, the absolutely phenomenal location and camera work. i know it's said a lot but they really don't make films like that anymore

they really fuckin don't like i cant think of the last time i was hyped out in the way heat made me. im actually in the process of convincing partner to sit down for it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

distortion park posted:

Sure they do, just like video games its not the big publishers doing it though.

Setting up a NAS with Jellyfin was the best decision. The industry had the perfect solution with old netflix and now its all fragmented and worthless and lol if u think im paying to watch ads loving hulu and whoever else does it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
my dad is not by nature an obsessive person, but he does watch anything and everything star trek. my brother and i went down to spend a few days to him talking about terrible old age stuff, and all he wanted us to do was set up his tv so he could watch star trek

anyway the experience of using the paramount+ app on his smart tv was so awful that he cancelled within a week

like five seconds to respond to every button press, and everything took ten button presses. i’m sure some of that was the terrible smart tv box but oh my god, i would’ve cancelled too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

part of the problem with making a movie "like" Heat is who would be this generation's Robert DeNiro or Al Pacino? and that's before you start filling out the second tier with heavyweights like Val Kilmer and Jon Voight.

that style of actor - an amazing craftsperson who can open a blockbuster - just doesn't really exist anymore. you're usually one or the other

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rjmccall posted:

my dad is not by nature an obsessive person, but he does watch anything and everything star trek. my brother and i went down to spend a few days to him talking about terrible old age stuff, and all he wanted us to do was set up his tv so he could watch star trek

anyway the experience of using the paramount+ app on his smart tv was so awful that he cancelled within a week

like five seconds to respond to every button press, and everything took ten button presses. i’m sure some of that was the terrible smart tv box but oh my god, i would’ve cancelled too

if he has an apple tv a subscription through the "channels" feature is probably right for him, it uses apple's ui and the tv app (a decent approximation is at https://tv.apple.com). its pretty easy to use and not that bad even on my old rear end atv 4, i would probably set it up like that for a parent

in contrast the actual paramount+ app sucks so bad i almost exclusively just airplay it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

10-15 years ago you had liam neeson kinda for an action thesp but he’s not really the same as pacino/rdn

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

distortion park posted:

i know it's said a lot but they really don't make films like that anymore
check out the work of jean-pierre melville. french director, 1950s-1970s, made a series of crime/heist/noir films that still come across as razor-sharp and contemporary. le samourai, le circle rouge, bob le flambeur, le doulos

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

indigi posted:

one of my favorite parts is the scene where Al Pacino is gonna say "cause she's got a BIG rear end" but clearly stop himself mid-line and changes it to "great rear end"

lmao one of my favorite all time cinema moments even. you can just tell he really, really wants to say it

i wonder how many takes they had to do

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Sure they do, just like video games its not the big publishers doing it though.

part of Heat is that not only is it well written and well made, you've got this specific character of the spectacle of two generationally great actors going head to head in a two-hander that just can't be replicated, even by equally-talented actors and an equally-talented director. it's like Godzilla vs King Kong - you can make an amazing small studio kaiju fight movie but that isn't Godzilla, and that isn't King Kong.

it's different in quality in a way that can't really be replicated in an indie movie

e: like I had an uncle who would say the best basketball game he ever saw was Villanova vs Temple at the Liacouras center in like 1999. ok fine, maybe it was an amazingly competitive game but it didn’t have LeBron running a full court chase down of Iguodala followed Kyrie draining a dagger 3 over Steph Curry

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 30, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

yeah Heat is incredible. one of the rare movies that fully earns its nearly 3 hour runtime

e: by which I mean, could you cut some scenes or even lines and tell essentially the same story? sure, but it wouldn't be as good. like you could lose the whole Natalie Portman or Dennis Hayesbert plot and it's the same movie about the same people, but it'd lose so much of its punch.

The big climax scene in that movie is so good. I watched it a few months ago.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

heat loving owns

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

if he has an apple tv a subscription through the "channels" feature is probably right for him, it uses apple's ui and the tv app (a decent approximation is at https://tv.apple.com). its pretty easy to use and not that bad even on my old rear end atv 4, i would probably set it up like that for a parent

in contrast the actual paramount+ app sucks so bad i almost exclusively just airplay it

thanks. he’s about to move, maybe i’ll just show up with an appletv for his new place

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

indigi posted:

/looks directly at camera, big breath in

also lol I saw an insta of someone wearing this tee but all the copies online were poo poo quality, so I recreated it from scratch:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FMguru posted:

check out the work of jean-pierre melville. french director, 1950s-1970s, made a series of crime/heist/noir films that still come across as razor-sharp and contemporary. le samourai, le circle rouge, bob le flambeur, le doulos

+1 to this, i went on a melville kick some time in the past couple years and it was a great decision

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The big climax scene in that movie is so good. I watched it a few months ago.

yeah the last ~45 minutes are just like a freight drain going downhill. it's so good that ripping it of even made the ending of Heat For Dummies (Den of Thieves) good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

a kind of lovely realization i had a few months ago is with my latest lap into older films that i can now say that i've pretty much seen every notable movie from like 1973-2005. like sure there are like hellraiser sequels and whatever i havent gotten to but for the most part i can confidently say that ive seen almost every mildly notable movie from those eras. and its kind of wild to me that many of those movies will never have any kind of modern equivalent made. like heat for example, or like the hunt for red october. hell even a theater comedy like superbad that just absolutely swept pop culture is never really gonna happen in that way again. movies like die hard or terminator 2 were lightning in a bottle that just doesn't happen like that anymore.

like as a grown up i am appreciating the gently caress out of miramax's role in 80s and 90s cinema in terms of getting out movies that weren't AAA megablockbuster affairs. marvel movies and franchising have absolutely fuckin wrecked the curve on cool mid range movies. and yeah i guess netflix and hulu et all are publishing those midmarket films but none of them have been GOOD. like 5 years of hulu featured films and ive yet to watch one that sat in my brain the way dogma or fast and the furious or elephant. like i honestly have a hard time thinking of films released in the past decade because of just how generic everything has felt and seemed.