Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Where do i start with Yo La Tengo? I was talking about noise-pop with my partner and Wikipedia lists them along with basically my favourite bands, but my understanding is they become more of a quiet band later on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Disco Pope posted:

Where do i start with Yo La Tengo? I was talking about noise-pop with my partner and Wikipedia lists them along with basically my favourite bands, but my understanding is they become more of a quiet band later on?

Wikipedia lists them with Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr and I'd say they have a similar sonic evolution.The 80's stuff is extremely noisy and the become more melodic as you get into the 90s. If you like the really noisy Sonic Youth albums from the beginning of their career then start with Ride the Tiger and go chronological. If you want a bit more melody then start from Painful and continue on. For my money Painful, I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your rear end, and Popular Songs are their best albums.

I have not listened to anything they've put out since 2013 though, mostly because I've been out of the loop and didn't realize they'd released anything.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Disco Pope posted:

I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One is often cited as their best album. It's really good and autumn-y.

YLT are also a kind of WFMU house band, doing their yearly fundraisers where they play requests, as pictured on this Adrian Tomine's album cover:

The yearly FMU marathon is coming up (it's in March iirc) and you'll be able to hear the band trying to figure out the requested covers on the fly. It's always fun but you have to catch it live because most of the time there's no published recordings of it because of the licencing issues.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Voodoofly posted:

Painful and I can Hear the Heart Beating as One. Painful is my favorite album by them, its fairly bleak with a lot of organ, but I love the overall mood and sound (Sudden Organ and Nowhere Near are two of my favorite Yo la Tengo songs). ICHTHBAO has more recognizable radio songs (Sugarcube, Autumn Sweater) and is more upbeat - most people usually list it as the best Yo la Tengo album.

They have other good albums, and some other lackluster albums (actually the Shaker EP is one of my favorites just for the Richard and Linda Thompson cover), but definitely start with those two.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Disco Pope posted:

I think Ride the Tiger rules and it doesn't get enough credit. It's got some noise to it. May I Sing With Me is pretty noisey. I think Painful is good. They mellow out with I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One. Like Terminally Bored said, it's got an autumnal feel to it.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Lots of Yo La Tengo - even more live stuff, and lots of that is for fans only!

My favourite album of theirs is And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out - it's atypical, but lovely, just gorgeous all the way through. I also love I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your rear end, which can be quite drone-y and repetitive, as if it were recorded in Germany, in 1975.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out and I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Start with side 1 of President Yo La Tengo. Then go directly to May I Sing With Me, and then proceed chronologically up to And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out. Skip Summer Sun, proceed to I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your rear end. Then listen to Fakebook.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Where do I start with Massive Attack? The one song I've heard from them is "Protection" featuring Tracey Thorn of Everything But The Girl on vocals.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mezzanine

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Mezzanine is a masterpiece, but if you like "Protection," I'd start with their 1994 album of the same name, which features Tracey Thorn on two tracks. Personally, I prefer Protection, but you can't go wrong with either album.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Blue Lines, Protection and Mezzanine is a fantastic three-album run. Mezzanine is a bit too po-faced - it's taking itself very seriously, and there's none of the playfulness of Blue Lines.

I really like Heligoland, but it's a bit divisive, I think, and there are a couple of stinkers on there. But I love it. The Horace ANdy track, Girl I Love You, is insane.

Don't forget the other great Massive Attack album!

Tricky's Maxinque.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Junpei posted:

Where do I start with Massive Attack? The one song I've heard from them is "Protection" featuring Tracey Thorn of Everything But The Girl on vocals.

Mezzanine as stated, and I really like Heligoland.

Lahar
Sep 14, 2014
100th window is also really good and pretty underrated. So basically every massive attack album has its merrits

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mezzanine is a god-tier album

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Lahar posted:

100th window is also really good and pretty underrated. So basically every massive attack album has its merrits

Yeah I like 100th Window a lot too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been loving Invisible Touch recently, what other Genesis should I check out? Doesn't have to be Phil Era either.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is my fave Peter Gabriel Genesis, and I suppose Abacab is my fave from Phil-led Genesis.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Genesis? Let me introduce you o the dickhead I used to play poker with. He'll tell you ALL about Genesis. At great length. Unbidden.

Last PS to the Massive Attack chat - an excellent music nerd I follow on Spotify put this playlist together of Blue Lines, along with many of the tracks that they sampled. And boy howdy did they sample. I don't think I realised just how reliant they were (in the early days, at least) on other's music.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3PuYpa3jwUgxehO7zVK6kb?si=1002f6d8ced34a42

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

algebra testes posted:

I've been loving Invisible Touch recently, what other Genesis should I check out? Doesn't have to be Phil Era either.

Sir Nose posted:

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is my fave Peter Gabriel Genesis, and I suppose Abacab is my fave from Phil-led Genesis.
Seconding Abacab as an absolute masterwork of 80s rock, but also if you've got any inclination toward prog rock, Selling England By The Pound is a classic of the genre.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

algebra testes posted:

We Can’t Dance is fairly similar to Invisible Touch in style. Besides that one you can just work backwards in their discography until they get to prog-rock for you or just enough prog-rock. (Old Genesis prog kicks rear end!)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If you like Invisible Touch, start with the three albums that precede it, which are Duke, Abacab, and the self titled Genesis. Not to go fully Patrick Bateman, but Duke is the point where they're getting more into the synthy-pop sound they'll use through the 80s, but all the albums have a ton of great/more proggy stuff still on them. Duke has the whole Duke suite and Misunderstanding, Abacab has the title track, Keep it Dark, Dodo/Lurker, and all of side 1 of Genesis. After Invisible Touch is We Can't Dance, which I think gets a bit too ballad-y or adult contemporary at points, but does still have some really good stuff (No Son of Mine and Jesus He Know Me being personal favorites).

If you want to go back to the Peter Gabriel-era, which you should because it's great and defined by a string of influential progressive rock classics, focus on Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, which are also the albums with Phil Collins and Steve Hackett. All of them have at least a couple of great songs, like The Musical Box and Return of the Giant Hogweed from Nursery Cryme, Watcher of the Skies, Get 'Em Out by Friday, and the 23-minute epic Supper's Ready on Foxtrot, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), and Firth of Fifth from Selling England. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a concept double album, and while the highs of it are extremely good (The title track and most of side 1, The Carpet Crawlers, a lot of side 4), it does drag at some points. Still, all are really good albums. I also highly, highly recommend Genesis Live, which I think the five tracks on the original version are all vastly superior to their original album versions.

After Lamb is when Phil becomes lead singer, and they slowly shift over time. I like all three albums they did with Phil in the 70s (A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, and ...And Then There Were Three...), which are all mostly good with some great songs (Squonk and Los Endors from Trick, One for the Vine and the various instrumentals on Wind, Deep in the Motherlode, The Lady Lies, and Follow You, Follow Me from Three) but also each has like one... I won't say dud, but one song I'm just not crazy about. This era also has Seconds Out, which is another very good live album.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 30, 2023

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
i’ve never gotten very far into prog, but i heard some recent animals as leaders and i think its the drumming that is tying it together for me. a quick google says djent is what i’m after? i don’t like meshuggah so far.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

fartknocker posted:

I also highly, highly recommend Genesis Live, which I think the five tracks on the original version are all vastly superior to their original album versions.

I was going to say this too. I think that one is about as much Genesis as I’m ever in the mood for, but it’s good while it lasts.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Science of Suck posted:

i’ve never gotten very far into prog, but i heard some recent animals as leaders and i think its the drumming that is tying it together for me. a quick google says djent is what i’m after? i don’t like meshuggah so far.

What about the drums? Is it the syncopation? Tone? Weird time signatures, polyrhythms? I ask because if it's fancy drumming with kind of abrasive, complex music in general, you might like Shobaleader One. Not exactly prog, not metal, more like jazzy drill and bass played live (it's Squarepusher's band). Anyhow the drummer is really good.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What about the drums? Is it the syncopation? Tone? Weird time signatures, polyrhythms? I ask because if it's fancy drumming with kind of abrasive, complex music in general, you might like Shobaleader One. Not exactly prog, not metal, more like jazzy drill and bass played live (it's Squarepusher's band). Anyhow the drummer is really good.

just saw this, thanks for the rec. i don’t speak music so i don’t know how to describe what i like about aal specifically, weird time signatures sounds like something i’d like though. polyrhythms are cool if they’re what i’m assuming they are. i like the drums of what you suggested so thanks for that, def the standout of the tracks i listened to.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Science of Suck posted:

just saw this, thanks for the rec. i don’t speak music so i don’t know how to describe what i like about aal specifically, weird time signatures sounds like something i’d like though. polyrhythms are cool if they’re what i’m assuming they are. i like the drums of what you suggested so thanks for that, def the standout of the tracks i listened to.

I'm not a drummer, I just like good drumming and can pick out and (sometimes) identify what it is that I like. I haven't listened to enough AAL to really know if he's playing polyrhythms, but a lot of prog metal uses them so I just assumed. Regardless, it's overall really technically interesting to me. Music with an interesting drummer is usually overall interesting to listen to as well, so a lot of bands make me think of other bands from different genres.

Tool maybe? Genre-wise a little more similar to AAL. Danny Carey is a pretty great drummer and his sound is a lot like the drummer from AAL to my ear.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 6, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Misfits?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Misfits?

Static Age or Walk Among Us. Not sure I've ever heard anything more than tepidly positive about the post-Danzig stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Static Age or Walk Among Us. Not sure I've ever heard anything more than tepidly positive about the post-Danzig stuff.

Yeah I would say both of those. Earth AD has good songs I guess but it’s halfway unlistenable. Legacy of Brutality is good to listen to some of the early songs with the more metal production but I’d rather to static age now that you can get it.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

agree, plus evilive if you like live punk albums

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stick with the Danzig era stuff, but Famous Monsters does have some halfway catchy tunes if you're interested in what they sounded like in that period.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Collection 1 is a good start as well

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Misfits?

Three suggestions:

If you just want an album to try Static Age.

Their compilations have become the go-to's though. Collection 1 and 2 cover almost everything Danzig-era

I'd personally say listen to disc 1 and 2 of the Box Set released in 1996. It's Collection 1 & 2 plus great Danzig-era songs that they leave off, like Hybrid Moments. It's on all the streaming platforms, but the song titles are super specifc on Spotify for some reason.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Taylor Swift

I've skimmed her wikipedia page, she's done a lot of different stuff, and had a big impact. I'm happy to pick 2 to span part of the range.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Taylor Swift

I've skimmed her wikipedia page, she's done a lot of different stuff, and had a big impact. I'm happy to pick 2 to span part of the range.

Listen to the new one and reputation

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ExecuDork posted:

Taylor Swift

It would be hard to pick 2, since she's very prolific and she has changed her style over the years.

1989 might be her best known pop album, and I might argue is a good starting point since Shake It Off might very well be her biggest song in terms of cultural impact. I feel like that's the one that confirmed her place with the giants of pop. She was huge before, don't get me wrong. But I feel like 1989 was her most consistent album to that point, and the first time she put out a through and through great album, as opposed to a good album with some killer but also some filler.

Folklore or Willow might be a good follow up. They're more serious minded, and definitely heavier in tone than her other albums.

Obviously, Midnights is the current hotness, and moves back towards the pop sounds of 1989. This isn't a retreat, since Folklore and Willow both were huge and gave her hit singles. And you can hear that style on songs like Sweet Nothings.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

The Flaming Lips

I started listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and I love the weirdness of it. Wondering where to go from there

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
The Soft Bulletin is my personal favorite. After that and Yoshimi, Clouds Taste Metallic and Hit To Death In The Future Head. The live orchestral version of Soft Bulletin is really excellent too.

If you want to get really weird check out Zaireeka and the unabridged version of 7 Skies H3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m in the same boat where I have just “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots”. I had “At War with the Mystics” in my queue to try next. Is that one not recommended? I saw that there was a Flaming Lips thread, and saw there’s a drastic drop off in quality at a certain point.