Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
code as something to gently caress is not a thought that has crossed my mind before. feeling more enlightened than ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

i was not previously familiar with this particular take on open source licenses

honkler 40 minutes ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: What is Google doing with its open source teams?

with GPL license, you allow a man to have coitus with your wife IF AND ONLY IF he takes pictures of the acts and shares it with the entire town.
With BSD/MIT license you allow him to have a great time even if he keep it to himself.
Both of these are instances of cuckoldry (excuse my words). The better alternative obviously is to keep source to yourself and sell software.

buy this poster an account immediately

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

buy this poster an account immediately

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

this guy, acting like it isn't his hn acct

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i don’t need to gently caress my code, because it can go gently caress itself

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
jesus

quote:

bbor 7 hours ago | next [–]

As a google employee (who obviously has no privileged info) I really don’t buy this whole activist-investor explanation for the layoffs. Besides the fact that the investors in question own <1% of the company, it doesn’t explain the rather random and opaque way the layoffs seem to have been conducted. Plus they (so far) haven’t laid off nearly enough to make hedge funds happy.

I’m much more convinced by the argument that they saw this sector-wide wave of layoffs as an opportunity to scare their engineers and change the culture to be a more intense, hierarchical one.

Google engineering culture has long been described as permitting coasters and encouraging employees to structure their work around what might get them promoted; that might be great for an innovative growing company, but I suspect Sundar & Co. know that that label doesn’t really fit google’s position anymore. I really don’t see any other reason they’d lay off high performing employees on important projects - especially OSS giants.

If my guess is right, it worked, to say the least; the internal culture is best characterized as “terrified” and “stunned”

"terrified" and "stunned" are not words i'd expect to use to describe a healthy workplace

so glad me and my coworkers are terrified and stunned atm

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont understand your criticism. they aren't saying any of that is good, and it's pretty accurate imo

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Achmed Jones posted:

i dont understand your criticism. they aren't saying any of that is good, and it's pretty accurate imo

quote:

I’m much more convinced by the argument that they saw this sector-wide wave of layoffs as an opportunity to scare their engineers and change the culture to be a more intense, hierarchical one.

yuck

quote:

Google engineering culture has long been described as permitting coasters and encouraging employees to structure their work around what might get them promoted; that might be great for an innovative growing company, but I suspect Sundar & Co. know that that label doesn’t really fit google’s position anymore.

because who wants to be innovative and grow

quote:

If my guess is right, it worked, to say the least; the internal culture is best characterized as “terrified” and “stunned”

hmm yes exactly how i want to feel about my job

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't see the comment as saying it's a good thing either?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

okay, in retrospect, i'm probably misreading the intention of the poster. they're describing what's happening, but they're not necessarily saying it's a good thing

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

i guess i'm just mad because it's yet another thing that make google look lovely

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can be excused for reading hn comments in the worst way possible but I think this one's not that bad.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean if google doesn't want to look lovely all they have to do is stop being lovely. i know i'd appreciate it

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

honkled again

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
yeah no that’s a pretty accurate post imo. the highest profile people I saw get got were like, that dude working on fuschia (who bragged about spending 7 years!!! working on pointless poo poo). talking to friends who have spouses at goog, everyone is terrified because the layoffs seemed “random”

every one of the big name layoffs is just an excuse to cut expensive engineers, bring down the range in salary bands, and scare the poo poo out of everyone else to let them know they could be next

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

quote:

Ask HN: How to Remove Employee from LinkedIn
6 points by c23gooey 33 minutes ago | hide | past | favorite | 8 comments
The CTO/Director of our company is in jail, the crimes are horrendous and we do not want our company associated with what has happened. How do we remove his association with the company from linkedin and from google results for his name?

quote:

ActionHank 11 minutes ago | next [–]

These things have a way of coming out. Has your company made a public statement condemning their actions? It would look a lot better to do it proactively than after the fact if the news surfaces.

c23gooey 9 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

Good call, will advise the chairman of your idea

"It's a good idea to condemn our CTOs horrible crimes publicly, thank you for this valuable advice fellow orange site poster"

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The OP has all their social media accounts connected to their HN profile. I'm not going to run afoul of any doxing rules on SA, so here is the snippet of the charges from an article about the (ex?)employee in question (warning: it's real hosed up):

charges of sexual penetration of a child aged under 16, three counts of sexual assault of a child under 16, and possessing child abuse material.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Yeah gonna want to get ahead of the ball on that one jesus christ

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

quote:

kilgnad 2 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

On a side note I feel we can take Unionization into the tech world as a start up or an App.

Imagine a blind-esque App that just allows everyone participating to vote anonymously for a union. Then AFTER a union is official then leaders and instigators could reveal themselves or maybe there were no leaders or instigators the whole thing was p2p.

I feel something as easy and convenient as blind can allow "unions in limbo" to form at basically every company. Basically the votes for a union are in, the requirements are met but nobody is really running the show. When times change and companies pull this mass layoff BS... then people can immediately elect a rep to take the reigns as a point of negotiation...?

Is an organization that constantly take something similar to an HOA fee really required all the time? We just really need to have organized negotiations and communications with management WHEN needed. Like the immune system.. activation only during emergencies.

Good idea? Yay or nay

this mf about 30 seconds away from suggesting unions on blockchains

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DaTroof posted:

jesus

"terrified" and "stunned" are not words i'd expect to use to describe a healthy workplace

so glad me and my coworkers are terrified and stunned atm

what happened to all these companies and their employees?

they got seriously dong-razzled, and now all of their "engineers" are "away from them"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

nudgenudgetilt posted:

this mf about 30 seconds away from suggesting unions on blockchains

no one wants to talk about unions until THEY get hosed by management. Humans just cannot learn from others, they always gotta touch the oven themselves.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

apparently a bunch of people on hn just leave all their cabinet doors in the kitchen open all the time?

quote:

Ask HN: Something you’ve done your whole life that you realized is wrong?
547 points by coreyhn 10 hours ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 1536 comments

quote:

rjmill 8 hours ago | next [–]

When my then-gf/now-wife and I first moved in together, I got really mad at her because she kept "hiding" my stuff when I left it out for more than a day. I couldn't find anything!

At some point, I yelled, "It's like you don't even want to see any of my things when I'm not using them!" Then I stopped for a second. For the first time in my life, it made sense.

The whole point of putting things away is to hide them! No one wants to look at your crap when you're not using it.

quote:

DontchaKnowit 8 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

This is so absolutely hilarious to me because this is 100% something I'd do. I had a friend come over once and then he came over again a week later and all of my kitchen cabinet doors were open and in the exact same position as they had been a week prior. He was like "dude did you not shut your cabinet doors? Wtf"

Its just not even on my radar

quote:

rjmill 8 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Can confirm. Have bonked my head on cabinets multiple times. The danger is primarily in bending-over-then-standing motions.

Life hack: if you keep all your bottom cabinets open, you don't have to bend over to see what's inside :^)

quote:

kuhewa 1 hour ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

An illuminating experience for me was a housemate and a fairly sharp one at that who wondered if we would get visited by ghosts at night because cabinet doors were always open in the kitchen in the morning. It didn't occur to her that the extremely more likely scenario was that I would scavenge around after she went to sleep and never shut doors.

quote:

ryanianian 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I do this. Unless the organization system is super well-mapped in my brain, I don't trust that I know where things are. Opening all the cupboards makes me feel like I can actually approach the problem of finding the toolkit I need to perform a task. Hyper-organized kitchens have the toolkits pre-assembled in bins placed in cupboards. That's hard to do.

(Perhaps related: a `util` class is basically a junk drawer in a kitchen. Some kitchens are basically just giant junk drawers. Good luck finding anything, but hey putting things away is super easy - just put it wherever it fits!)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

apparently a bunch of people on hn just leave all their cabinet doors in the kitchen open all the time?

...guilty. it isn't intentional, it just happens

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
lol I catch myself doing it every so often, and then wonder what the gently caress I’m doing with my life and slowly close them all in shame

mystes
May 31, 2006

I naturally tend to leave cabinet doors open but I will 100% manage to hit my head on them or otherwise injure myself on them if I do that so I have to force myself to close them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I routinely leave cupboard doors open when my adhd-coated brain switches to the next step of the task before I’ve finished getting whatever. my wife mentioned closing them for me in her speech at our wedding, it’s just sort of a thing

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
just checked and there was only one cabinet open, I am improving as a human being :unsmith:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
hn thread: struggling with object permanence

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
thanks for making me feel more neurotypical today

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yeah i dont do it on purpose but i will leave them open all the time and my wife will make fun of me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I also just randomly put stuff back in different cupboards and then can't find it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

work in progress

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

Internet Janitor posted:

hn thread: struggling with object permanence

one of the first oddities about myself my partner made me realize is that i don't like putting random things in drawers. i just left everything on top of dressers or on open shelves so everything i owned was visible.

it made sense to me because i didnt need to hold all of the things i owned in my head because they were right there, easily tallied and accessible. i blame it on my parents having way too many junk drawers so i couldn't find anything growing up

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

quote:

tiahura 0 minutes ago | prev [–]

Males seek females to impregnate, news at 11 - for the last 1.5 Billion years.

jfc

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol I was wondering what that was a comment on, so I looked the article up and wow the situation described is, uh, yikes: https://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/192977/need-help-with-students-whove-turned-my-class-into-a-dating-service

Someone at this university created a website that's encouraging seniors in stem fields to audit introductory courses to try to pick up women

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

FCKGW posted:

ryanianian 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I do this. Unless the organization system is super well-mapped in my brain, I don't trust that I know where things are. Opening all the cupboards makes me feel like I can actually approach the problem of finding the toolkit I need to perform a task. Hyper-organized kitchens have the toolkits pre-assembled in bins placed in cupboards. That's hard to do.

(Perhaps related: a `util` class is basically a junk drawer in a kitchen. Some kitchens are basically just giant junk drawers. Good luck finding anything, but hey putting things away is super easy - just put it wherever it fits!)

Lots of slobs in the world, but nothing is more annoying than reasoning it with corporate IT speak.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Its a Rolex posted:

one of the first oddities about myself my partner made me realize is that i don't like putting random things in drawers. i just left everything on top of dressers or on open shelves so everything i owned was visible.

it made sense to me because i didnt need to hold all of the things i owned in my head because they were right there, easily tallied and accessible. i blame it on my parents having way too many junk drawers so i couldn't find anything growing up

ime this isn't long-term sustainable. eventually all your counters and tables have so much poo poo on them your life becomes a constant hidden object game

it's easier for me to remember that the bread knife is in the same drawer as all the other cooking knives than to think "it's lying on top of one of the flat surfaces somewhere on the first floor of the house, probably"

if every drawer is basically an all-purpose junk drawer, that's a slightly different problem

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i have to constantly struggle against my partners efforts to turn our apartment into a delightful hidden object game

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

nerds: i store my memories in a mind palace that helps me recall things quickly

also nerds: i keep all my things laid out in direct line of sight so i can find the thing i want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the mind palace is for remembering important things like 68000 addressing modes and op codes

the line of sight is for trivial poo poo in that so-called “real” world