Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i like doing candid portraits

lets use the lovely mrs beeftweeter as an example

these obviously feel more organic than something posed, e.g.

everyone has different preferences obviously but when photographing family i think posed stuff loses out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Achmed Jones posted:

i've seriously considered putting a colorblind filter on the photos i take. i use photoshop elements, so i dont have the built in stuff. i even paid $9 (!!!) for a set of actions that would do it, but they don't get my colorblindness quite right, which is crucial for me. i was gonna just edit the layers or whatever in the filters i bought to get it right, but then it turns out i cant do that with Elements

if any of yall are aware of any configurable photoshop plugins/actions/whatever that'd do the needful, i'd appreciate it. this feature is not worth switching over to Photoshop CC for me, and afaik you cant really pirate photoshop any more, at least not on mac

im also down to try other applications, so long as they work on macos

macos itself has a filter for various forms of colorblindness in accessibility settings. i don't have a mac handy at the moment but i believe it would apply to photoshop as well, but i'm not colorblind (afaik lol) so i'm not sure. never tried it, but i'd give it a shot

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh i mean for sharing, not just for applying to the screen. the right filter would be definitionally invisible to me - i just want to be able to show people "this is how i see sunsets, this is how i see red lights, this is how i see flowers"

it might end up just dumb but it seems like it'd be kind of fun

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok maybe not invisible - i dont really know how it works on a cellular level, so something like "achmed has 15% of normal sensitivity for long-wavelength cones" would probably make it so that i can perceive the difference between filter + my hosed up eyes as opposed to just my hosed up eyes, even if the filter is equivalent to my hosed up eyes for someone with normal vision

but i dont wanna use the filter i bought, it messes up yellows which is one of the few colors out there that's actually bright and vivid for me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ah i see what you mean

on macos i'm not really sure what i'd use, i pretty much ditched the platform about a year ago. i think pixelmator photo has a mac version but i've never used it, only on ios.

anyway, it can apply custom LUTs

alternatively i suppose taking a screenshot of the accessibility filtered version would probably work too, if it uses core image filters (i think it does)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 31, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
red-green colour blindness usually means that the response curve of your red and green cones overlap significantly more than most people's, making it hard to distinguish actual shades of red and green - they all activate both types of cones.

what type of filter are you using? a filter for helping colour blind people to more easily distinguish colours in the source image will do pretty much the opposite thing from a filter that shows people with normal colour vision what that image looks like to the colour blind.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's the latter - a colorblind simulator doodad (which is what i want)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

it's the latter - a colorblind simulator doodad (which is what i want)

pixelmator photo will do this, what specific form of colorblindness do you have? i could try to show an example

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

i wish i could get pictures like this of my fam! but when i point a camera at a human my brain shifts into this like fight or flight mode where i just want to be done taking the picture asap and cant bear to direct the staging or anything

tbh it’s not easy with fam, they usually wanna just carry on doing whatever, the trick is knowing your camera well, and having it at the get go often. I don’t have many great photos of my kids, but I do have some, which is mostly because I camera all of the time

I really like shooting people tho, which is why I’ve gotten into portrait, it’s nice to be able to shoot a person who is on the same page as far as willing to have patience and basically do as I ask

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

pixelmator photo will do this, what specific form of colorblindness do you have? i could try to show an example

from loving around with stuff online, it's pretty bad protanomaly/near-protanopia and maybe also some less-bad deuteranomaly. somewhere in that space at least

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

from loving around with stuff online, it's pretty bad protanomaly/near-protanopia and maybe also some less-bad deuteranomaly. somewhere in that space at least

okay i think i got you. i tried to pick a pic that might be challenging for you based on the description (as i understand it anyway, my knowledge of colorblindness is pretty basic)

here's the original

applied two LUTs (and did some minor edits)

it's import to note that in pixelmator photo you can control how much of a LUT is applied (+/-150%), so i tried to match your description, again as i understand it. apologies if i got it wrong

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

everyone has different preferences obviously but when photographing family i think posed stuff loses out

this was posed but caught at a candid moment = the best

i obv do a lot of posed stuff and I like it, but it’s apples and oranges compared to candid stuff really, it’s a chance to do some things you’d otherwise not normally do

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

this was posed but caught at a candid moment = the best

i obv do a lot of posed stuff and I like it, but it’s apples and oranges compared to candid stuff really, it’s a chance to do some things you’d otherwise not normally do

absolutely agree and that pic is fantastic man. great composition, good depth of field, good contrast lol

very nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I got lucky

but also - maybe, just maybe, i an ok photographer

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
maybe don’t cut off their hands next time

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

yeah I got lucky

but also - maybe, just maybe, i an ok photographer

you are! everyone itt is. it's subjective

really most of the feedback to your work has been critical of the post processing, and i think that's valid. you clearly have the mechanics of photography down: you know what you're doing

it might seem like i don't do much post, but i do. i spend hours on that poo poo, and unless i'm going for "art" the difference is probably subtle to most people

this is kind of hard to put into words, but i try to match the scene as i envisioned it at the time i was taking the shot, not just what i think would look good afterwards. obviously sometimes i do that, but i still strive for something at least vaguely realistic looking unless the shot is abstract

this might sound harsh, but "low contrast" is not how pretty much anything looks. it is a good technique sometimes, but i would never apply it all the time. it's a style, sure, but not everything needs to be stylized, you know?

this is all imo of course. i think a lot of the previous criticisms were unnecessarily harsh, so i tried to temper this. i know how crushing critiques can be sometimes, but please remember it comes from a place of trying to help

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

this is a ward against ai

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

with candids it is honestly kind of hard to avoid that if you're not like, burst shooting. it's fine

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The black bars make me feel like they're POWs or something. It makes the photos mysterious.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wild EEPROM posted:

bullshit, throw the rulebook in the motherfuckin garbage

rule of thirds? more like rule of turds IMO

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Megabound posted:

The black bars make me feel like they're POWs or something. It makes the photos mysterious.

nobody is going all the way to nz to stalk you kids, echi

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Megabound posted:

lol

i am sorry to edit a photo of your kids echi but i mean, that is pretty funny

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The identities of the innocent have been hidden to protect them from criminals! *Posts selfie*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

with candids it is honestly kind of hard to avoid that if you're not like, burst shooting. it's fine

lol I personally didn’t care I was just worried if I didn’t then someone would get weird about me not doing it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

there’s the other one I was lucky enough to get

laughing kids- so innocent

the secret ingredient was a glorious 135mm lens and canon colour science

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 31, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

still want that xf23 :negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

this is kind of hard to put into words, but i try to match the scene as i envisioned it at the time i was taking the shot, not just what i think would look good afterwards. obviously sometimes i do that, but i still strive for something at least vaguely realistic looking unless the shot is abstract

I usually wing it at the shoot so absolutely wing it in post

quote:

this might sound harsh, but "low contrast" is not how pretty much anything looks. it is a good technique sometimes, but i would never apply it all the time. it's a style, sure, but not everything needs to be stylized, you know?
hmm idk

I try raising blacks on most images, some you can do it lots and others not so much, but when I hit the button that flips it between the original and the modified, I almost always prefer the raised blacks.

it might be hosed up - but it is also true

maybe some time in the future I will move on from this style, hopefully not, but maybe, and I will look back at photos of mine from this era and it will have a look that defines them

this is the story of echi the tog

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

vape nation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
vape or die

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hm

do you mind posting the original? i guess it follows: do you mind if i take a stab at it

i don't think it's bad, i just kinda want to see what i can come up with. i think others itt might be interested too

if not, it's cool. i understand that you like it that way

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Having a full range of values in your photo is cool and good.

Editing other people's photos is cool and good as it lets you see others perspectives on your art and that can be illuminating.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

Editing other people's photos is cool and good as it lets you see others perspectives on your art and that can be illuminating.
once i got a vibe that mine was poo poo or not good enough and that they were going to fix it or make it finally worthwhile and that felt bogus and make it was me misinterpreting the situation and i’m sorry for that and also over it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

hm

do you mind posting the original? i guess it follows: do you mind if i take a stab at it

i don't think it's bad, i just kinda want to see what i can come up with. i think others itt might be interested too

if not, it's cool. i understand that you like it that way

sorry for going overboard the other day. of course it’s fine and for the future no need to ask. and yeah when I can i’ll share the OG, it’s kinda noisy from memory

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

well i was playing around with it anyway :haw:

i tried to keep the echi vibes, but yeah thats pretty noisy lol

this is after loving with the curves for about 20 mins

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

okay i think i got you. i tried to pick a pic that might be challenging for you based on the description (as i understand it anyway, my knowledge of colorblindness is pretty basic)

here's the original

applied two LUTs (and did some minor edits)

it's import to note that in pixelmator photo you can control how much of a LUT is applied (+/-150%), so i tried to match your description, again as i understand it. apologies if i got it wrong

oh cool thank you! it's kind of far off in the sky, like the original id call orange or so, and the altered version looks green almost. i actually meant to buy pixelmator on its most recent sale but forgot - i'll send em an email to see if they'll hit me with a coupon so i can play with it myself. of course i guess i could try playing with the curves myself, too.

thanks for giving it a shot!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

oh cool thank you! it's kind of far off in the sky, like the original id call orange or so, and the altered version looks green almost. i actually meant to buy pixelmator on its most recent sale but forgot - i'll send em an email to see if they'll hit me with a coupon so i can play with it myself. of course i guess i could try playing with the curves myself, too.

thanks for giving it a shot!

neat, also no problem — pixelmator photo makes it pretty easy, that took single digit minutes lol

keep in mind pixelmator photo is a separate product. it's cheaper than pixelmator too, but it doesn't have layer-based editing. it's purely for photo post processing, and it is very good at it imo; pretty simple interface for powerful tools, i use it often

pixelmator itself is more photoshopesque but it doesn't have most of those features at all, the color and gamma editing options are disappointingly limited. pixelmator pro is also a separate product (and it came out later) so it may be better at this, but i haven't used it

they made most of their poo poo subscription (i was grandfathered in with a one time purchase on both) and, well, too many subscriptions lol.

with a sub i'm not sure the value proposition holds up, but people seem to like it still

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

pretty noisy lol

if there’s too much sensor noise I often use lightroom noise over top of it so the noise is at least more aesthetically pleasing, so yeah that end image is very noisy lmao
look forward to being at home and seeing these edits up big

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i have to shoot at mega iso i just go way up on the chrome noise reduction and leave the luma noise as-is. i think it looks fine that way. modern camera noise patterns aren't bad at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I like the moon noise and browser nosie too