Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1620196385873092608

We did it, Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I wondered what the push was and this answers it: https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1620237931805036548?t=H4lGbgHRzqMeu5dWxLT7fA&s=19

open question on if they'd have enough votes for a veto override, but ol' Joey has a reelection campaign to start

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Godholio posted:

That's cool man but I was specifically quoting and responding to a post that said Iran didn't.

:lol: I mistook you for a serious poster, my apologies.

Vahakyla posted:

Ah yes I am a serious and credible poster myself, too.

:getout:

Hoes mad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Memphis PD relieved another cop of duty today in the Tyre Nichols case, a white guy. Relieved of duty, not fired.

https://wreg.com/news/local/tyre-nichols/sixth-officer-in-nichols-confrontation-relieved-of-duty/

Also Memphis Fire axed 3 employees involved.

https://wreg.com/news/local/tyre-nichols/3-memphis-fire-employees-terminated-in-tyre-nichols-investigation/

When it comes to "relieved of duty" and "fired", is this one of those six of one, half a dozen of the other kind of things?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

open question on if they'd have enough votes for a veto override, but ol' Joey has a reelection campaign to start

He’s taking the wind right out of DeSantis’ sails.

:smugdon:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Leave posted:

When it comes to "relieved of duty" and "fired", is this one of those six of one, half a dozen of the other kind of things?

In the military, relieved of duty = fired for someone in a position of authority. For a cop, it usually means they're getting shuffled around until the public outrage dies down.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

In the military, relieved of duty = fired for someone in a position of authority. For a cop, it usually means they're getting shuffled around until the public outrage dies down.

What kind of loving horseshit is that? If there's an outrage you need to wait out, maybe just get rid of the fucker

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Leave posted:

This instance is kind of a toss up. They could be going over his actions with a fine tooth comb right now. They could shuffle him to a lesser position, like jailer, and/or strip rank/promotions. Could be fired and charged. Memphis is making some fast moves, all things considered, and I'm not sure how this is all going to shake out.

Usually I translate it as, the cop is going to resign to quietly disappear from the situation and go be a cop in another city, but this isn't a "normal" police brutality case.

Also, Memphis is in a bit of an ice storm until wednesday, so I'd consider any more news for the rest of the week to be a wash.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leave posted:

What kind of loving horseshit is that? If there's an outrage you need to wait out, maybe just get rid of the fucker

First time?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol.

Yeah, standard is to pull everyone involved behind the blue wall and deny deny deny even in the face of lawsuits.

Sometimes the victims/families will win settlements out of the police department. Often they are a pittance.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I know this shouldn't frustrate me so much, but goddammit, it pisses me off so much. I know you guys get it, so it makes me feel better to say it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We're just jaded as hell.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

In my everyday life, it's easy to stay positive, to keep a good outlook.

Online? Man, gently caress everything

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Speaking of, they arrested that Tesla Terrorizer guy out in California today. $5.1MM bond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyLMcfqX7j8&t=65s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

How did that guy not get his pelvis crushed between two bumpers?

Seems like the kind of hazard that would strike someone with his passion.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
it is the us, how has he not been shot?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

My Spirit Otter posted:

it is the us, how has he not been shot?

California.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it is not without reason that the Prius Driller is a Floridaman.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

impossible, gun control cant work

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Platystemon posted:

We did it, Joe.

You're right, seems like an appropriate time! Stats aren't zeroed out across the board, but they've been drat low for the past year with minimal uptick even with a completely unrestrained holiday travel season. "Emergency" measures hardly seem warranted at a point where 99% of the country (and, for that matter, the world) outside the conspiracy theorists are ready to treat Covid as another flu or common cold: something to get boosted against, but far from the dire threat it once was.

I know some people still have some wild American exceptionalism going on and complain that the US just needs the will to stick to vision zero, but... even were that unified national will on hand (it's not! Republicans are insane!), it'd require a permanent quarantine period for all international travel because the rest of the world has opened back up, too.

China's clownish end to its lockdowns is also putting on full display the dangers of confusing draconian measures with efficacy. The state utterly failed at raising vaccination rates (much less distributing effective vaccinations) or building out effective hospital capacity beyond some much applauded Potemkin hospice camps despite years of time to prepare, then retroactively declared an end to its brain-dead lockdown policies after Covid finally escaped their control. Here's hoping their stupid experiment doesn't turn their under-immunized population into a petri dish for a newly aggressive strain of the disease!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, like, here in Vancouver (BC, not WA), things have been pretty much back to business as usual. More people wearing masks on public transit than there used to be, but even pre-covid it wasn't really an uncommon sight. And people aren't nuts to butts in the checkout line at the grocery store anymore, so honestly, we're better off here now than we were before the great plague era began.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

If you told anyone with authority over public health in 2019 that surveillance had detected a strain of flu that we estimate with supreme confidence would kill three hundred thousand people in America in one year and corresponding number worldwide, they would call it pandemic influenza and pull out the response playbook.

If you told them that actually this was not pandemic influenza, this was just what a normal year from influenza would look like from now on, and, oh, they might want to crack open some old texts about 1918 flu concerning its debilitating effects on many survivors, because we’re going to see a lot more of that… I don’t even know what they would say at that point. They would consider it to be apocalyptic.

I’m not asking for lockdown. I just want us to treat it as the number three cause of death, a little over half cancer, a little under twice the sum total of accidental deaths of all types. There are entire agencies at every level of government dealing with such things, entire private industries. Every corporation of any size employs people whose entire job is to limit death and injury on the job.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 31, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, like, here in Vancouver (BC, not WA), things have been pretty much back to business as usual. More people wearing masks on public transit than there used to be, but even pre-covid it wasn't really an uncommon sight. And people aren't nuts to butts in the checkout line at the grocery store anymore, so honestly, we're better off here now than we were before the great plague era began.

We're not even going to get that much in most of the US, masks are illegal to wear in public in my state outside of declared emergencies and the Diet Trump governor here is going to cancel the statewide emergency immediately after the national emergency expires. I know most of the pigs around here would love nothing more than to write tickets and/or extrajudicially murder someone for wearing a mask.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Platystemon posted:

If you told anyone with authority over public health in 2019 that surveillance had detected a strain of flu that we estimate with supreme confidence would kill three hundred thousand people in America in one year and corresponding number worldwide, they would call it pandemic influenza and pull out the response playbook.
Death rates since last winter's wave have been pretty steady around 3,000 a week, so we're looking at more like 160k. This is still bad, of course, at more than triple the high-end estimates of the current flu season, so it should be actively driven drown.

Platystemon posted:

I’m not asking for lockdown. I just want us to treat it as the number three cause of death, a little over half cancer, a little under twice the sum total of accidental deaths of all types. There are entire agencies at every level of government dealing with such things, entire private industries. Every corporation of any size employs people whose entire job is to limit death and injury on the job.
For sure, the state should be actively working toward and investing in driving down all types of death (where's my immortality, Brandon?? :argh:). But it's clearly no longer an active emergency—we don't have a national emergency declared for the extremely worthy fight against cancer, but that doesn't mean it's not a priority that receives significant investment.

I'm not sure what good non-pharmaceutical mechanisms exist for this, though. Even left-wing Seattle is 98% maskless because people have gotten immunized and are ready to be done with it. Like with a lot of things, we're pretty stymied by an actively non-compliant ~30% of the population who refuses vaccination and half of state governments being controlled by proto-fascists who are actively making things worse.

The route to Covid zero now depends almost exclusively on political and cultural shifts, rather than it does what we'd think of as traditional ways to address disease.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Midjack posted:

masks are illegal to wear in public in my state outside of declared emergencies

This seems so profoundly hosed-up to me that it boggles my mind.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Midjack posted:

We're not even going to get that much in most of the US, masks are illegal to wear in public in my state outside of declared emergencies and the Diet Trump governor here is going to cancel the statewide emergency immediately after the national emergency expires. I know most of the pigs around here would love nothing more than to write tickets and/or extrajudicially murder someone for wearing a mask.

so they cancelled Halloween, all sports that need masks, paintball/airsoft, firefighting, motorcycle helmets, and recitational diving?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Masking being illegal actually dates back to way earlier than the pandemic and the argument for it being upheld isn't crazy, given exceptions for public health reasons, personal safety, or weird cultural shenanigans. A lot of the laws in the US date back to stamping out the Klan. Of course, now you have chuds using it against public health or peaceful protesters, so it's a lot murkier.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

For sure, the state should be actively working toward and investing in driving down all types of death (where's my immortality, Brandon?? :argh:). But it's clearly no longer an active emergency—we don't have a national emergency declared for the extremely worthy fight against cancer, but that doesn't mean it's not a priority that receives significant investment.

Lots of important stuff is tied to the emergency declarations. When it ends, millions of people will be kicked out of Medicaid. Do you like at‐home rapid tests? It’s not just the insurer coverage that is going away there. Those are permitted only under emergency measures. They may never get full FDA approval. It sounds absurd, but there are no at‐home rapid tests for influenza.

I would agree with you that this stuff, and ongoing research funding, and support for state and local health departments, et cetera shouldn’t be contingent on an emergency declaration extended continually on a ninety‐day basis, but it is, and that is what we have to work with.

Joe is ending the emergency declarations because the vibes are right and his polling firms say that it will score him political points, not because ending the emergency is a sound policy. It’s the equivalent of the brinkmanship that the GOP pulls with the debt ceiling.

Cugel the Clever posted:

The route to Covid zero now depends almost exclusively on political and cultural shifts, rather than it does what we'd think of as traditional ways to address disease.

You will never have COVID Zero. SARS-CoV-2 is a worse candidate for eradication than easily a majority of all pathogens evaluated by the International Task Force for Disease Eradication, maybe every single one of them. No existing vaccine blocks anywhere close to enough transmission to reach herd immunity even if given to everyone, it’s the most widespread human pathogens that there is, other than those that cause chronic infections like chickenpox, and it has animal reservoirs.

What we should be looking at is limiting disease burden wherever possible. Preventing infection with clean indoor air, especially in public places that especially vulnerable people need access to, could go a long way. Think of it like installing wheelchair ramps and deicing the sidewalks. What’s actually happening is that, out of spite, universities are ripping out systems that are very effective and cost them the equivalent of literal peanuts.

For people who do get sick, we currently have precious few options. One in twenty Americans, including seemingly all public figures, can get Paxlovid. It’s a good drug, but it’s not perfect. A lot of people can’t take it because of drug interactions. A lot of people just can’t get it prescribed in time, five days from symptom onset or less. It’s probably not going to work forever. Mutations that would confer resistance to it are known in the lab and sometimes seen in the wild, though are not widespread at this time.

Remdesivir (Trump got this one) is a second antiviral that works on a distinct mechanism and would be a great idea to administer in concert with Paxlovid when possible—as is prudently done with other antivirals, with antibiotics, with antiparasites, and antifungals, both to increase effectiveness and to head off resistance. There just isn’t the supply to do it, and giving Remdesivir by injection daily a real drag. There are oral equivalents to Remdesivir out there in the lab and sometimes in trials—Gilead’s Obeldesivir, the Wuhan Institute of Virology’s VV116, the orphan GS‑441524—but they need political will to bring them home, as do wholly new antivirals. How many do we have for HIV? It’s a lot, and we appreciate all of them.

Trump also got the antibody cocktail REGEN-COV. This stopped being effective with Omicron. For a short while, Sotrovimab could be used, but soon it was no good and only Bebtelovimab soldiered on. Meanwhile, Evusheld was an antibody cocktail could be given prophylactically every six months to people at elevated risk to COVID‑19, such as people on immune suppressants for organ transplants. These both stopped working as BQ.1 took over, administration halted throughout the U.S. by late November. So this is a whole class of pharmaceuticals that we are without now, and we will not have in the foreseeable future, because we failed to keep up with development, because it was marginally profitable. We have Paxlovid and Remdesivir that can be give early in infection, but only supportive care if a person’s condition worsens. Paxlovid can’t even legally be given to patients in the hospital for COVID‑19, though reports are that it’s happening anyway.

Then we get to vaccines. We’re not even treating this as seriously as the flu. No one expects last‐year’s flu shot to do anything for them, even if deep down it does have “powerful effectiveness” against hospitalization and death, when measured against some uncontacted hunter‐gatherer never exposed to any strain of influenza. We target the new flu shots twice yearly, once for the northern hemisphere and once for the south, we push the shot to everyone over six months of age, sometimes mandate it for employment or education, and doctors will recommend you get the one for the other hemisphere if your travels take you there in flu season. They’ll also recommend that you, especially if older, don’t get your primary shot too early or late, because efficacy really falls off in a matter of months.

There are promising lines of research and some clinical candidates for vaccines that prevent a greater proportion of infections, are resistant to viral evolution, and retain effectiveness for longer, but these are progressing at a slow pace against unfavorable political and financial headwinds.

There are a lot of things that we could do that we are just not. It offends our sensibilities to consider that we have a new superflu, let alone a really nasty disease of the sort that we were used to seeing only in history books or in National Geographic.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Well, after almost 3 years I finally caught COVID. Went to the gym on Thursday, felt a little tired Saturday but no real symptoms. Sunday I felt lovely waking up and then felt like a truck hit me by afternoon. Took a test but knew I must be positive, yup bright line on the new Fed mailed test. Took ibuprofen, which knocked all my immune response back down to manageable amounts of pain and discomfort.

However, I did call my insurance nurse line as well as the Teladoc and they were unable to order any COVID tests, or prescribe Antivirals over the phone. So I call my health clinic and they are just uninterested in helping, telling me the next available appointment is March 23. I finally got fed up and said look I have a contagious disease how would I come in for a visit to get antivirals if I'm contagious AND you want to treat it like it's just another doctor appointment when you know it needs to be administered within 5 days of symptoms? Some state of emergency, the only people who get Antivirals are the olds and 'high risk ' and yet everyone is out treating it as over. I don't quite understand how you get antivirals, you have to have an appointment during the timeframe that you predict you will catch COVID? Or is it more a dire emergency, administer at the ER or ICU?

I mask at the store and anywhere I'm inside with people for more than 5 minutes(besides the gym unfortunately). Now I'm masking at home trying to keep my wife from catching it.

Oh well, my pharmacist Mom keeps telling me I'll be fine and should make a full recovery. Still want some of that cutting edge biomed baby

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

stackofflapjacks posted:

I don't quite understand how you get antivirals

The secret, if you’re not rich enough to have a concierge doctor and you don’t have doc buddies, is telemedicine.

Sesamecare is one that I’ve directed relatives to recently. Book a same‐day appointment, I would suggest with an MD or DO, describe your condition to the doctor, and they’ll send a prescription to a local pharmacy if they think that antivirals are appropriate for your case.

Either of these sites will list/map which pharmacies have it in stock. The doctor will appreciate it if you have an address ready. Consider selecting a drive‐thru pharmacy if you don’t have someone who can pick it up for you. Failing that, try calling the pharmacist and asking if they’d like to meet you outside.

https://healthdata.gov/stories/s/COVID-19-Public-Therapeutic-Locator/chu2-wqes/

https://covid-19-therapeutics-locator-dhhs.hub.arcgis.com/

Californians are entitled to a free virtual visit through this link.

For everyone else, there are promo codes that bring the cost down to something like thirty bucks for a consultation. The U.S. federal government is covering the cost of the drug for the duration of the public health emergency. Beyond that, it’s going to be five hundred dollars for a five‑day course, maybe more.

Just for fun, you can keep tabs on the U.S. stockpile here. The U.S. has of late been administering about a quarter million courses per week, out of a total of about twenty‐four million.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 1, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For what it's worth, the main reason they're slow / unwilling to prescribe antivirals on a hair trigger for COVID is 100% because of the eligibility screening. And that screening is generally there for a reason, as paxlovid weirdly doesn't seem to do poo poo for youngs, but works great for olds: https://khn.org/morning-breakout/paxlovid-has-little-to-no-benefit-for-younger-adults-with-covid-study/

So as I made it my life's purpose to get paxlovid when my mom caught COVID (she telemedicined doctor, I picked the prescription up, total delay 6 hours), depending on your age and etc, there's likely nothing that modern medicine can actually do for you in the short term! I was actually shocked when I couldn't find any good information about what else to give my mom besides the paxlovid - doctors still don't know what to do on that front. That's why you're getting runarounds, as to this day I still don't even know if you should/shouldn't be taking ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc.

So it basically fuckin sucks. Sorry!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

That Israeli study has been misrepresented.

The number of younger adults in it is far too low to conclude anything actionable. Paxlovid’s effect could be anywhere from fantastic to actively harmful in them and in at least one of twenty universes, we would have ended up with something like the observed result of a seventy‐nine percent reduction in hospitalization simply by luck.

The screening that matters is that you should not lie to a doctor about kidney/liver problems or possible interacting drugs.

https://twitter.com/michaelzlin/status/1533108646409695232

P.S.: Lin’s lab at Stanford is working on some cool drugs.

https://twitter.com/michaelzlin/status/1495113478436102144

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 31, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Seriously the best thing to come from the pandemic. Im able to tell someone to get the gently caress out of my personal space and they do

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Kazinsal posted:

Sisko owns and to this day I am upset that Avery Brooks got blacklisted from Hollywood somehow and we never got a version of First Contact where it's a proper TNG/DS9 crossover.

Just imagine the line "Jean-Luc, blow up the drat ship!" but in his voice.

gently caress me that would have owned especially with Sisko's relationship with Picard/Locutus

Dammit now I want this.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
There’s a joke here about how military weddings don’t last but it’s also nice to see veterans start companies that aren’t tshirt brands

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/31/1151071088/these-combat-vets-want-to-help-you-design-the-perfect-engagement-ring

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

E: probably too insensitive

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ded posted:

so they cancelled Halloween, all sports that need masks, paintball/airsoft, firefighting, motorcycle helmets, and recitational diving?
There are exceptions for much of what you describe:
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter9/section18.2-422/

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

ded posted:

Alright, I just noticed this and desperately want this... sport? art form? to happen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can get through half the Gettysburg Address on my way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
four score and seven years agblulublblbblu