Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My condolences, it can't be easy living on a Ronnie street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

There aren't really any native Irish tubers worth cultivating.

How sure are you actually about this? I'm very curious now. This book looks like something I want to read

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'd hazard there's a difference between "stuff what you can forage" and "stuff that village-numbers of people can cultivate in fixed spots to form their staple food". even the charlock mentioned in that article as a "staple" was mixed with oats, and i'm pretty sure where most of the calories in that dish come from

but yeah foraging and alternate foodstuffs that aren't jumped-up bits of grass are really interesting. this book on potatoes was a good read

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

quote:

A familiar face.
Alt: A familiar hat more like it

Alt: Pryan Sor is probably the coolest character design I've made that will only last two pages

quote:

Truth

quote:

Once, on the road, Prim met a mendicant sage. The sage was chewing umbral blossoms and sitting in a ditch, filthy and ragged. Curious, Prim crouched down and asked the man what he was doing, for the day was quite hot, and there were beasts and worse about.

“What makes a man the most powerful?” said the sage. “I’ve wondered about this question for a good three days now. I’ve scarcely drunk a drop, or eaten a morsel, or got a moment’s sleep!” Prim itched to leave and continue her journey, but instead gave the man water and sat beside him, as at one point in her life she had been an excellent daughter, and old habits die exceedingly hard.
“Is is the strength of a man’s arm?” said the sage, “Is it the timbre of his voice? Is it his luminous gaze? Is it the way the light strikes his face?”

Prim was sure it was none of these things, and told the man so. “I thought as much,” said the sage, “so I considered further. Is the root of power buried in the soil of violence? Must it be nourished with blood? But many violent men are overthrown with ease by those who use only words. So it must not be so. Does power lie in the throat, then? Does a truly powerful man keep it in his body like a deep and mighty lake, boiling and bubbling in his guts, only to spill forth when he parts his steaming lips?”

Prim was certain it was none of these things, and told the man so. The sage nodded and continued, chewing on his leaf. “I think so too,” he said. “In truth, my conclusion is that the most powerful of men are neither wholly violent, nor strong of voice. The most powerful of men are radiant. Their power suffuses the air around them, and enslaves the will of others around them, by their own unwilling consent. It is an illusory power, which makes it all the more dangerous, since it feeds off belief. Such a man can kill without thinking, if he so chooses. He is sovereign from the laws of other men.”

“What do you think?” asked the sage, looking equal parts exhausted and pleased. Prim didn’t have an answer. “Well, none of that! I’ve been on this for three days!” sputtered the sage. “Which do you think? The violent man, the vocal man, or the radiant man?”

Prim thought of the violent men who had passed through her father’s house, and the iron rod of her father, with which he had not been sparing. She thought of the silken-voiced men that whispered near her father’s hearth. And she thought of the royal men, who came in processions to consult with her father, carried on their palanquins.

“None of them,” said Prim, at last.

“What?” said the sage, aghast.

“The most powerful man has the capability to be violent, charismatic, or sovereign, all,” said Prim, “but he chooses to be none of them, because if he does, he has become cruel, and a cruel man has lost all claim to power.”

She stood up and dusted herself off. “If God were a mere fisherman, he would earn my respect,” said Prim. She gathered her things and returned to the road, leaving her canteen with the sage, who remained there a day longer. He then gave up on the question, and later abandoned his sage’s rags to become a successful farmer.

– The Song of Maybe

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Osmosisch posted:

How sure are you actually about this? I'm very curious now. This book looks like something I want to read
There's stuff like bullrush roots where you can forage for them (but you need an unpolluted waterway so uh don't) but they're not practical to cultivate. But on a tiny irish island with limited fresh water yeah it's turnips which are not technically tubers. If you're interested in foraging absolutely take an outdoor class, it's fun and pandemic friendly!

the holy poopacy posted:

I suppose in fairness Marcellus is not a farm boy and it doesn't matter whether they grew edible tubers in the Hebrides, because they did in the Mediterranean where he's from and he might simply not know any better.
Yeah I meant to say earlier this could all be him just not knowing what a turnip is.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

For this whole series of strips, and for some more coming up, KC Green thought it would be fun to put a hint about the subject of the next comic in each one. This is apparently because when he made the first strip he accidentally wrote TIME DOG on the banner instead of DOG TIME, and then thought hey, time dog would be a fun comic premise, and then kept doing that as a bit for a little while.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ANSU

Fingerpori

The original used basically the most crude, childish word there is for vagina instead of "beaver" but I couldn't think of an appropriately similar English word + I kinda like the animal theming it has now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
He is a good boy?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I recently found this artist, Holy Konni, who is from Sweden. He has a site at https://www.folkcomics.com/ but it currently only has one of his comics. His Twitter appears to be kept up to date though.

It's a short one, so I'll post it in two parts:

The One That Got Away 1/2

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
double posting to say I'm glad some of you enjoyed Joost, and since some of you are interested I'll def get around to posting Part 2! Probably sooner rather than later but we'll see

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 28

Chapter 29

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I really couldn't tell you exactly what it is that keeps me reading Opplopolis. The art style is consistent but not particularly interesting, the color is good, the writing is good, the plot is who the gently caress knows. It's very "just roll with it" and although I happily consume it each update I don't know why. Maybe the mundanity of a grounded, no super powers, no super genius, spy vs spy kinda thing is just what I needed when constantly surrounded by the fantastical. I guess unless we're about to get Adrian Veidt'ed by the dragonsaur or something like that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

I really couldn't tell you exactly what it is that keeps me reading Opplopolis. The art style is consistent but not particularly interesting, the color is good, the writing is good, the plot is who the gently caress knows. It's very "just roll with it" and although I happily consume it each update I don't know why. Maybe the mundanity of a grounded, no super powers, no super genius, spy vs spy kinda thing is just what I needed when constantly surrounded by the fantastical. I guess unless we're about to get Adrian Veidt'ed by the dragonsaur or something like that.

I've been feeling the same way. I really like opplipolis but can't quite articulate why. It's just good

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I mostly like the way it plays with time and perception, I'm really interested to see where it's going. Today's Narts update features some nudity in the first page and I'm sorry. I'll link it and include a censored version.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

When you're a decaying adult

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Narita gives me strong Wallace Wells vibes, and I'm going to assume he's also gay as hell.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

KennyMan666 posted:

FWIW, nothing appears here for me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ikanreed posted:

He is a good boy?

He sure can drink like one.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
CW: Suicide

Demon
Chapter 8.05

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've been feeling the same way. I really like opplipolis but can't quite articulate why. It's just good

Opplopolis is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiFz5J9DHig&t=23s

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
going to ask, are we really counting it as suicide anymore when you you are an immortal just casting aside your current shell, secure in the knowledge the next shell will be right there?

i mean it is still graphically killing yourself but there is none of the early chapter 'suicide' to the suicide

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd say it's more murder than suicide tbh

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

CzarChasm posted:

FWIW, nothing appears here for me.
Huh. My webhost isn't down, and that subdomain is literally just image folder with no other files or anything that might mess with it, same place I uploaded all those Kaoru Mori pages. The images in that post show up for me in both a different browser and on a different device, so.

Anyone else having that problem with my uploads right now?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
it loaded for me

edit: checked on app as well, loaded there also

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

I'm happy Narita turned out to be a well-meaning fanboy instead of an interfering dipshit

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

plica seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat in the way that is understandable when you're gay and it's frowned upon among peers
see also: wealthy american gays

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Swan Boy, Rona continues to be my favorite character.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Swan Boy is the avatar of living with aggressively untreated adult ADHD.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

He is aggressively living and technically an adult.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Even more anatomy jazz, with three times the cheeks!

look, you have to post the theme song if you're posting their pictures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRrOLTHu-ew

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

One more chapter until the end of the first volume, and then I'll post something else.

Hyouge Mono chapter 9: Messenger from Heaven

See this guy? This guy is a no making GBS threads Catholic saint. He was beatified in 2017 by Pope Francis, presumably because he read this comic.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Swan Boy and Werewolf Jones: would they be friends? I feel perhaps not. There's an innocence and joie de vivre to Swan Boy that does not exist in MM&O, though they both depict anthros I'm scared to hang out with.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Swan Boy sits in the intersection of two circles marked "Megg, Mogg, and Owl" and "Achewood"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

projecthalaxy posted:

Swan Boy and Werewolf Jones: would they be friends? I feel perhaps not. There's an innocence and joie de vivre to Swan Boy that does not exist in MM&O, though they both depict anthros I'm scared to hang out with.

the next incarnation of the beloved classic Brit-com BOTTOM!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kit Walker posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

I really like the panel work in this update, very clever and effective use of panels and space

hazardousmouse posted:

look, you have to post the theme song if you're posting their pictures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRrOLTHu-ew
It is a banger! I figured it'd have more impact posted alongside the story (still gonna do that)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

No! I refuse to find a loving bird relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

“Namu namu” is sort of a children’s nonsense representation of Buddhist chanting.