Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
brown noise is just a fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

echinopsis posted:

if there’s too much sensor noise I often use lightroom noise over top of it so the noise is at least more aesthetically pleasing, so yeah that end image is very noisy lmao
look forward to being at home and seeing these edits up big

yeah i actually added noise too to combat the other noise, lol. i think it looks a bit smoother that way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

echinopsis posted:

brown noise is just a fart

hi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

when i have to shoot at mega iso i just go way up on the chrome noise reduction and leave the luma noise as-is. i think it looks fine that way. modern camera noise patterns aren't bad at all

ugh any more noise reduction than the default for lightroom and I can’t deal

which is like 15 on chroma and 0 luma

anything more and it looks a bit .. burns victim . I need to find a better way to describe it

I would rather deal with the sensor noise than noise reduction if I had to. can’t exactly remember how bad that photo was but the sun had set for sure by then

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i actually added noise too to combat the other noise, lol. i think it looks a bit smoother that way

noise is a flexible tool imo, can hide all manner of sins too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

hm

do you mind posting the original? i guess it follows: do you mind if i take a stab at it

i don't think it's bad, i just kinda want to see what i can come up with. i think others itt might be interested too

if not, it's cool. i understand that you like it that way

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tI4uXYjm1w-sqFXUw-c7rOTqbaewB3YJ/view?usp=share_link

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just hit it with topaz denoise

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you could also set up some light so you don't have to shoot at 1 million iso in the first place

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
do y'all have any recommendations for building intuition with tone curves? conceptually/mathematically i get the idea of mapping values to other values but the interface for tone curves is so profoundly unintuitive to me that I really struggle to accomplish anything intentional with it

i think it has to do with the fact that the things i can alter are "control points" but the thing i actually care about is the slope of the line so its like i have to guestimate an integral of my desired outcome or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Corla Plankun posted:

do y'all have any recommendations for building intuition with tone curves? conceptually/mathematically i get the idea of mapping values to other values but the interface for tone curves is so profoundly unintuitive to me that I really struggle to accomplish anything intentional with it

i think it has to do with the fact that the things i can alter are "control points" but the thing i actually care about is the slope of the line so its like i have to guestimate an integral of my desired outcome or something

keep in mind they are tonality and gamma curves, you are dealing with contrast at individual points on a histogram. the distance between points either increases or decreases contrast between those values

you can think of it this way i guess: the bottom of the curve is going to be dark, the very top is going to be light. i think some intuitiveness just comes from practice, your midtones are generally going to be... well, near the middle, lol

the slope of the line itself has very little to do with your end result. some curves can be generally applied (i.e. a "S" curve) and they can look pretty good, but sometimes my curve edits look like a hosed up waterslide lol

it's sort of hard to explain with generalities though. is there something in particular that is giving you trouble?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk what i would use a tone curve for. i just point camera

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

keep in mind they are tonality and gamma curves, you are dealing with contrast at individual points on a histogram. the distance between points either increases or decreases contrast between those values

you can think of it this way i guess: the bottom of the curve is going to be dark, the very top is going to be light. i think some intuitiveness just comes from practice, your midtones are generally going to be... well, near the middle, lol

the slope of the line itself has very little to do with your end result. some curves can be generally applied (i.e. a "S" curve) and they can look pretty good, but sometimes my curve edits look like a hosed up waterslide lol

it's sort of hard to explain with generalities though. is there something in particular that is giving you trouble?

i probably just need to practice with it more. i kinda want like a bunch of examples of "make this look like this" type things or something to build the reflex I think

the fisher-price mode that lightroom can present (4 sliders for the domains for blk, shd, hig, white and 4 sliders for i guess the normalized max value or something???) at least reduces the degrees of freedom enough that i can guess and check and not waste too much time. It is just a really bad interface because every adjustment (even if well placed) is guaranteed to affect the thing you're messing with and also have knock-on effects in the rest of the image, and they're frequently so severe that a move of like 2 pixels on the tone curve can really do some damage.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

the more i think about it the more i just want blender's colorramp (or just proportional editing on the vertexes of the tone curve) because the main issue is that the ui element is just needlessly hard to use and extremely easy to gently caress up

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

whoever processed these photos needs to have their lightroom license revoked.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
he looks like an extra from dawn of the dead, but also he does drink human blood so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

the more i think about it the more i just want blender's colorramp (or just proportional editing on the vertexes of the tone curve) because the main issue is that the ui element is just needlessly hard to use and extremely easy to gently caress up

it does bother me that often with this kind of software the usable ranges in a slider are in a small spot but the whole slider is given to you, so you’re manipulating within a couple pixels

the method used by davinci for colour grading is gold how you move the mouse a lot but the movement in the UI element isn’t so much. like it’s geared down

the best use of the tone curve is locking a point maybe 1/4 the way up from bottom and then bending the bottom of the curve up, saving the darkest areas of the image from drowning in blackness

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Corla Plankun posted:

i probably just need to practice with it more. i kinda want like a bunch of examples of "make this look like this" type things or something to build the reflex I think

the fisher-price mode that lightroom can present (4 sliders for the domains for blk, shd, hig, white and 4 sliders for i guess the normalized max value or something???) at least reduces the degrees of freedom enough that i can guess and check and not waste too much time. It is just a really bad interface because every adjustment (even if well placed) is guaranteed to affect the thing you're messing with and also have knock-on effects in the rest of the image, and they're frequently so severe that a move of like 2 pixels on the tone curve can really do some damage.

it's definitely something i've just learned from practical experience

i've had university classes about it since i was studying to do cinematography, and honesty, the descriptions and explanations there were pretty inscrutable. its a pretty difficult concept to put into words and usually when it is the examples have been more about the mathematics that go on. that was entirely unhelpful for me beyond understanding contrast's relation to the histogram, i am godawful at that kind of math lol

i've been hawking it a lot recently but pixelmator photo's curve interface is much better than lightroom's, imo. people don't like adobe for many reasons and that is one more to throw on the pile

this is an older screenshot i took just to show someone what i was working on — there have been more features added since — but it might give you a decent idea of what i mean. the various options are luminance curves, rgb, and then red, green and blue separately

a good free alternative is google snapseed. imo the curve interface is pretty good, but i think pixelmator photo's is better

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
also fwiw, i have found the apple pencil to be incredibly useful in editing curves. you can be much more accurate

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
pps

that edit ended up this way

here is a bonus photo i accidentally uploaded to imgur lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

i missed this because i was focused on curves lol

i'll give it a shot in a bit. what did you think about the preliminary edits by megabound and myself?

and don't be afraid to be honest, i'm not very fragile about this and i don't think mega is either lol

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I use curves by using the point tool, selecting the part of the image I want lighter or darker and dragging it until it looks good then repeating that till I'm happy. It's all vibes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

photo of me from when I was like 21

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well I'm glad you have a sense of humor about the lifted blacks at least.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

Well I'm glad you have a sense of humor about the lifted blacks at least.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

photo of me from when I was like 21

found this news report about you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKDlyjce-UM

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

skipped out on work to ride to a local park and take pictures of sculptures. left feeling inspired, returned feeling disappointed. :yeah:

idk if those are any good. sometimes i forget how to take picture. forgot that short focal length means poor bokeh

love these lil dudes though

edit; moving this garbage off my flickr

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 1, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

when I got my first point and shoot camera that allowed for “long” exposures etc this was me playing around with whatever it is you call it when you use the flash at the end or the start of the exposure. and a cigarette lighter too. cool poo poo

m

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:smugmrgw:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

when I got my first point and shoot camera that allowed for “long” exposures etc this was me playing around with whatever it is you call it when you use the flash at the end or the start of the exposure. and a cigarette lighter too. cool poo poo

m

That's cool and all but check out this photo at my wedding.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
gave it a shot, not entirely satisfied with the result but i couldn't really spend a ton of time on it

surprisingly challenging! thats some wonky rear end contrast for something out of camera, lol

honestly think the shot might look better in b&w though, maybe i'll give that a try too when i get a spare minute

e: ps i think the full frame is better than the crop. imo, obviously

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 1, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Megabound posted:

That's cool and all but check out this photo at my wedding.

lol that owns

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

skipped out on work to ride to a local park and take pictures of sculptures. left feeling inspired, returned feeling disappointed. :yeah:

love these lil dudes though

i'm not trying to be a dick here but i feel your disappointment lol

sometimes a shoot doesn't really work out, it happens. just try try again

but those last two guys are cool af

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

felt cute, might delete later, idk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
at the very least don't delete the last one. i like it lol those statues are cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

surprisingly challenging! thats some wonky rear end contrast for something out of camera, lol
prolly the smoke. weird that

quote:

e: ps i think the full frame is better than the crop. imo, obviously
hmm prolly not

square crop is usually best crop

those 12"x12" foot format mfs had it right with square crop back in the day and it's still true

instagram reviving it has kinda given it a bad name, and it a true shame because there will be people who will not embrace it because instagram

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I always liked this photo

I can’t put my finger on the feeling, but it’s kind of like I’ve caught something

while I am doinng posed work, I ideally am going for something somewhat organic. it’s easier said than done of course, but, this photo possibly captures this a lil bit more than others I have done.

I post processed this before I truly fell in love with a more refined approach to black levels, so please forgive me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the colours are a bit … yellow?? my apologies

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
well, if you insist on a square crop i think the framing could be improved

ime the car(?) isn't really necessary, it's not part of the scene really. the main thing you'd wanna focus on imo is the girl and the vape smoke

something like that i guess. i still like the full frame though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wow… on the crop we disagree a lot . .

on yours I feel like I want to scroll her into the centre. idk if that’s because I’m so used to mine or because I am fundamentally more correct lol

I spend a decent amount of time on crops/framing believe it or not. and find myself using the smaller navigator window on the left indispensable. I have no insight into how I end up with the choices I do, but I make some great choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
she’s staring down the lens thru the smoke, so having her decently offset from the centre of the photo disturbs me, I think