Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea ideally dan castellenata should have dropped dead like 5-10 years ago at the latest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mark Hamill's vocal bank library is... Lisa Simpson.

*Whiplash tone change* Catch the all new animation domination, next Sunday!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Please, the people cry. Please give us more of these wonderful stories. Please show us more of Homer and Marge and Bart and Lisa and the baby. We don't have enough. It's the only thing we want.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

They're gonna ChatGPT all the scripts.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

yea ideally dan castellenata should have dropped dead like 5-10 years ago at the latest

It's so weird that the shows been going for 36 years but Dan Castellenata is only 65. He looked exactly the same as like he was in his 60's back when it started.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So when they hit 800 episodes, only about 25% of the total episodes will be good. 30% if I'm being generous.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/hvg_core/status/1617345232231862272

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

They're gonna ChatGPT all the scripts.

This would be an improvement.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A totally missed opportunity for “El Barto.”

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1618693813769306112

I'm sure the lowest point is yet to come. We just need to keep digging.

why does it feel like every couple of weeks i enter this thread and fox announces they greenlit 2 more seasons?

regardless, every time this happens, i keep wondering why they keep doing it despite the show falling in ratings every year, and so i decided to take a quick look at how each of those 3 shows are doing and sadly it seems like there is some sound logic to it. even though simpsons has been falling in popularity as time went on, it's still comfortably the most popular show fox has. i genuinely thought family guy would have been at the top (if even just slightly) but LOL NOPE. family guy's been hovering around 1 million or so per episode in the last season, with the highest episode being 1.68 million. for comparison, simpsons has several episodes doing double FG's best, with the highest episode at 4.77 million. and then you have bob's burgers is doing about as well as FG.

so it seems quite understandable fox keeps renewing the simpsons since literally nothing else on the network comes close.

and while i'm at it, some other fun facts i learned:

- FG's best season ever was its first, and it did some monster numbers average 12.8 million
- By the 3rd season, FG's ratings dropped like a rock to averaging "only" 4.5 million, which fox thought was bad enough to cancel it
- for some reason, after a gradual decline up to season 11, seasons 12-15 were the most successful seasons of the simpsons, doing better than any of the 'golden years' seasons except 3

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Simpsons might be, quantity-wise, the worst show of all time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

idk dr who has been on for like 70 years

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mr Interweb posted:

why does it feel like every couple of weeks i enter this thread and fox announces they greenlit 2 more seasons?

regardless, every time this happens, i keep wondering why they keep doing it despite the show falling in ratings every year, and so i decided to take a quick look at how each of those 3 shows are doing and sadly it seems like there is some sound logic to it. even though simpsons has been falling in popularity as time went on, it's still comfortably the most popular show fox has. i genuinely thought family guy would have been at the top (if even just slightly) but LOL NOPE. family guy's been hovering around 1 million or so per episode in the last season, with the highest episode being 1.68 million. for comparison, simpsons has several episodes doing double FG's best, with the highest episode at 4.77 million. and then you have bob's burgers is doing about as well as FG.

so it seems quite understandable fox keeps renewing the simpsons since literally nothing else on the network comes close.

Yeah you nailed it. The purpose of the show was always to generate revenue with other considerations secondary. It’s like if someone owned a restaurant and for eight years it had the best food and atmosphere in the state and created a lot of happy memories. Then big turnovers with cooks and waitstaff have left it a cruel parody of what it once was, but it’s still packed and making you big money, while dozens of other restaurants can’t get a foothold. Why close it?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mr Interweb posted:

- for some reason, after a gradual decline up to season 11, seasons 12-15 were the most successful seasons of the simpsons, doing better than any of the 'golden years' seasons except 3

I did a big write up on this for another thread, but I'll repost most of it:

JediTalentAgent posted:

2000-2001 Simpsons had an average of about 15M viewer and was a lead-in to the then popular Malcolm in the Middle. Other channels in the same block showing Wonderful world of Disney*, Touched by an Angel*, Dateline, Ed, Steve Harvey.
2001-2002: Simpsons had avg. 12.5M viewers. Other shows on at the same time were again the Disney and Steve Harvey as well as The Education of Max Bickford, Weakest Link. Simpsons did better than all of them, and this is considering how popular Weakest Link was in that window of time.
2002-2003: Simpsons has 14.5M avg. Competition was more Disney, Charmed, Becker/Big Fat Greek Life, and American Dreams.
2003-2004: Simpsons drops to 11M. What caused this big a drop? American Dreams and Charmed still run against it, but it gets big competition from Cold Case and Extreme Makover Home Ed.
2004-2005: Simpsons at 10.2M: Almost no competition changed other than American Dreams gave way to a boxing reality show (The Contender) but Cold Case and Extreme Makeover are both shows in the top 20. Also, Extreme Home Makeover is a lead in to other popular shows: Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy and Boston Legal.

2003-2004 probably marked the first of the real competition to Sunday nights for Simpsons. After that, for the next 5-7 years it was going up against events and must-see TV like Amazing Race, West Wing, NBC's Sunday NIght Football, Big Brother, CSI:Miami and so on.

So, their highest rated seasons in that time coincide with both weak competition while also being part of a block of other successful shows on a night where pretty much everyone is going to have to stay in because of work/school week starts the next day.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

idk dr who has been on for like 70 years

The Moffat and Chibnall years combined still aren’t even anywhere near as long as the fallow years of the Simpsons. And as bad as it got, the Moffat years would still throw out a gem or two along the way.

It’s a real shame that Jodi Whitaker and Peter Capaldi’s renters were largely wasted though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

actually i change my answer to saturday night live. it's been bad about as long as the simpsons has been but episodes are 4 times as long. much higher cringe to quality ratio

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Post every time you lol that Simpson's decline started because of competition from Cold Case and Extreme Makeover Home Edition

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I actually liked Cold Case when it was on and still watch it on occasion.

I haven’t watched FOX animation live in years and only recently found out there’s been a couple of animated series that came and went after a couple of seasons without even knowing they even existed: Bless the Harts and Duncanville. Huh.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I heard Duncanville was pretty alright but Bless the Hearts looks like an unfunny and ugly version of King of the Hill

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They're honestly all pretty mediocre and just tedious in different ways

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

I actually liked Cold Case when it was on and still watch it on occasion.

The Bruckheimer TV shows are basically the TV equivalent of comfort food, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

edogawa rando posted:

The Bruckheimer TV shows are basically the TV equivalent of comfort food, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Huh he’s co-founder and co-majority owner of the Seattle Kraken, he’s having a good year.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah you nailed it. The purpose of the show was always to generate revenue with other considerations secondary. It’s like if someone owned a restaurant and for eight years it had the best food and atmosphere in the state and created a lot of happy memories. Then big turnovers with cooks and waitstaff have left it a cruel parody of what it once was, but it’s still packed and making you big money, while dozens of other restaurants can’t get a foothold. Why close it?

yeah seems there's no mystery here. i was just surprised cause i thought other shows were doing better than they were and simpsons was doing worse

JediTalentAgent posted:

I did a big write up on this for another thread, but I'll repost most of it:

So, their highest rated seasons in that time coincide with both weak competition while also being part of a block of other successful shows on a night where pretty much everyone is going to have to stay in because of work/school week starts the next day.

huh, interesting stuff. guess i also didn't factor in competition from other networks either

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Is there anyone here who was raised on the later Simpsons episodes (say, S12 on) and would later on go backwards and discover the classic stuff? We wanna hear from you!!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JAMOOOL posted:

Is there anyone here who was raised on the later Simpsons episodes (say, S12 on) and would later on go backwards and discover the classic stuff? We wanna hear from you!!

I started watching around Season 13; there was a channel that played a Simpsons rerun every night at dinnertime and a new one on Sundays. Me, my sister, and my dad were all huge fans. We learned to recognize the couch gags to our favourite episodes, so when one of those came on whoever was watching would yell "It's the Thompsons one" or "It's the one with the land of chocolate!" and everyone else would come to watch. I don't think we perceived the show's quality decline, but all our favourite episodes were from seasons 2 to 8. I remember the DVD releases that were available were way behind - when season 5 came out on DVD, the show was already on season 16.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Chamale posted:

I remember the DVD releases that were available were way behind - when season 5 came out on DVD, the show was already on season 16.

it really took them that long to come out with DVDs?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The first season DVD set came out in 2001 and for the first few they only released one season per year. In fairness this was in the golden age when good DVD releases came absolutely loaded with extras and they did not skimp on them, there was a load of work put into those early seasons.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, after Season 10 or so what the gently caress is left for DVD extras? Some guys going "durr yeah I wrote this thing, yeah" or some poo poo?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
"The joke is in the corner".

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I just imagine constant forced chuckles, or talking about completely unrelated topics.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Commentary Track: Al Jean calls Conan O'Brien repeatedly and gets his voicemail message (21 mins)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My partner is in a post grad class with a bunch of 21 year olds and apparently none of them had heard of Lionel Hutz when the professor showed a clip.

Maybe Simpsons is for old people now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The latest season with a physical media release was Season 20.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

PostNouveau posted:

The latest season with a physical media release was Season 20.

drat, that poo poo says it all. Even complete weirdo freaks who A) still watch the simpsons and B) are collector goons don't care enough about this show to get any more physical releases.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Party Boat posted:

The first season DVD set came out in 2001 and for the first few they only released one season per year. In fairness this was in the golden age when good DVD releases came absolutely loaded with extras and they did not skimp on them, there was a load of work put into those early seasons.

They were also still operating under the assumption that the show was ending soon and wanted to drag out the releases.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People stopped buying individual season because they wised up to the idea that a full series box set would be more convenient and maybe less space consuming. That was (pretend I googled how many) seasons ago. And the show is showing no signs of slowing down...

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Didn’t the early season cases look like a characters head? I wonder who they started to use after season 7 or so

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

bobjr posted:

Didn’t the early season cases look like a characters head? I wonder who they started to use after season 7 or so

Those cases were so bad I'm pretty sure they had an alternate option on the simpsons.com website, where you could request a regular ol' rectangle box case. I used to work at a video store 15 years ago and remember it being a thing lmao

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

bobjr posted:

They started the season heads around season 7 or so. They were just standard box set cardboard prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

You Are A Elf posted:

A totally missed opportunity for “El Barto.”

It's actually a great opportunity for someone else to change it to Bart World? No, Mercy!