Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rjmccall posted:

the climax comes and goes and there’s still like an hour of movie left

i keep telling your mom it's called a refractory period :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
*tense mood as the fellowship is surrounded in lorien* no sir you can’t we’re filming please *hobo skips in from scene right* fa-la, sing, the elm is in his gar-den *hobo skips out scene left, bewildered chaos on set*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
that was tom bombadil

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

infernal machines posted:

it just didn't grab me, i'm not terribly into high fantasy and between that and the runtime it just wasn't for me.

i'm glad y'all enjoy it though, all 30-whatever hours of that stuff.

:yeah:

i understand why people like LOTR, but man, its just not for me

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

still surprised that, like harry potter, the lotr movies didn't do a special 20th anniversary rerelease where they retouch a little bit of the dodgy cg here and there
probably because the original versions still put butts in seats and a special edition would cost money

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
has anyone done that besides Lucas? and he only did it because he was so gobsmacked by the possibilities of CGI compared to 70s practical effects and no one was able to tell him it was a terrible idea and force him to stop

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

has anyone done that besides Lucas? and he only did it because he was so gobsmacked by the possibilities of CGI compared to 70s practical effects and no one was able to tell him it was a terrible idea and force him to stop
how many different re-edits and re-releases of blade runner are we up to now?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duz posted:

still surprised that, like harry potter, the lotr movies didn't do a special 20th anniversary rerelease where they retouch a little bit of the dodgy cg here and there
probably because the original versions still put butts in seats and a special edition would cost money

they did a quiet bit of cleaning for the 4k release, but nothing too egregious afaict. i had started my fellowship rewatch on my dvds and switched partway through since they're on hbo max and the balrog looks sharp

FMguru posted:

how many different re-edits and re-releases of blade runner are we up to now?

final final (1) edition coming soon when they find a box of footage stuffed in pkd's couch

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 1, 2023

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

man even when i was in high school i couldn't deal with the lotr extended editions. i like the movies but god drat they are long enough

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

speaking of slightly cleaned up re-releases this arrived today

it’s a new scan they did for streaming, there was a limited release last year that sold out instantly so I had to wait another 8 months for this to show up. has director commentary too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol amazing
https://twitter.com/headexposure/status/1620555678632005632

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
sweet looks like s5 of Made In Canada is also on Gem

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Elder Postsman posted:

i watched the lotr extended versions a couple weeks ago and it took me six nights to get through them

years ago a local theater did a marathon screening of all three extended editions. i went with a few friends, in part because i'd never got around to seeing return of the king and figured this was the time and the way to do it.

even the hardcore LOTR fans were burned out by the end, think it started at noon and ended sometime past midnight. glad we did it but also will never do that again lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tfw u forget to set your Out Of Office on a days holiday.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Casual Encountess posted:

a kind of lovely realization i had a few months ago is with my latest lap into older films that i can now say that i've pretty much seen every notable movie from like 1973-2005. like sure there are like hellraiser sequels and whatever i havent gotten to but for the most part i can confidently say that ive seen almost every mildly notable movie from those eras. and its kind of wild to me that many of those movies will never have any kind of modern equivalent made. like heat for example, or like the hunt for red october. hell even a theater comedy like superbad that just absolutely swept pop culture is never really gonna happen in that way again. movies like die hard or terminator 2 were lightning in a bottle that just doesn't happen like that anymore.

like as a grown up i am appreciating the gently caress out of miramax's role in 80s and 90s cinema in terms of getting out movies that weren't AAA megablockbuster affairs. marvel movies and franchising have absolutely fuckin wrecked the curve on cool mid range movies. and yeah i guess netflix and hulu et all are publishing those midmarket films but none of them have been GOOD. like 5 years of hulu featured films and ive yet to watch one that sat in my brain the way dogma or fast and the furious or elephant. like i honestly have a hard time thinking of films released in the past decade because of just how generic everything has felt and seemed.

I would argue Fury Road and Terminator 2 are cut from the same cloth, in that FR was the first action movie I had seen in ages that I left the theatre all smiles

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

qirex posted:

speaking of slightly cleaned up re-releases this arrived today

has director commentary too

this is the other reason im bluray hoarding. i love a good commentary where two cast members hate each other or the director crawls up his own rear end in a top hat deeper and deeper.

also its cool netflix added indonesian subs to stuff but the stuff with indo audio as well has a different fuckin script and its not how i wanted to practice my indonesian. but it was the first time ive seen it as an option and that was a cool moment of visibility.

i found out while hungover and rewatching evangelion this weekend. i went to switch the dub to sub and boom indo audio/sub and i had to take a second. it was weird that it was specifically evangelion because i have super fond memories of watching the english dub with my cousins there one summer when i was like 12 off bootleg vcds i bought at a market and it felt super loving surreal to do that in reverse.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i watched a lot of anime as a kid despite growing up in america because my dad woild always come back with a bunch of bootleg poo poo and it would be a total tossup between japanese/english/indonesian audio and subs in any combination so i have a lot of weird memories of like first watching gundam and akira with indo hardsubs with the japanese audio. i really admire the wild west of bootlegging there like hed come back with binders full of random poo poo like every halloween movie AND like 14 jean claude van damme and steven segal movies and poo poo. watched a lot of kung fu movies that i will never remember the name of but half the time i watch a shaw movie and a sleeper memory activates.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Im gonna have the yospos hot take and say that i love the lotr extended editions and have seen them over one or two dozen times over the years.

doing a marathon of them is just masochism though, why would you do that to anyone you loved

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr. Crow posted:

doing a marathon of them is just masochism though, why would you do that to anyone you loved
yosposters hate everything and everyone, most especially themselves

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mr. Crow posted:

lotr is entry-level poo poo. true masochists marathon the hobbit

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sweevo posted:

my tastes are very -- singular

*puts in hobbit dvd*

you wouldn't understand

*turns on motion interpolation*

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i think that's the recommended treatment for insomnia op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jabor posted:

i think that's the recommended treatment for insomnia op

star trek tng

watching a couple eps in bed puts me out every time lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sweevo posted:

i've never watched the hobbit movies lol. i decided "you know what i'm just gonna wait for the whole trilogy to come out" and then from what everyone said i just decided they weren't worth my time after all

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

polyester concept posted:

I believed this until i decided to shoot using fuji’s classic neg film simulation with daylight balance at all times, allowing natural light to dictate the mood.

the straight out of camera results are gorgeous

https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujifilm_classic_negative/
ty for this, reminded me I wanted to start shooting with different fuji simulations on my x-t20. it can't do classic negative but classic chrome looks promising

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i've never watched the hobbit movies lol. i decided "you know what i'm just gonna wait for the whole trilogy to come out" and then from what everyone said i just decided they weren't worth my time after all

no joke i watched them on various aeroplane trips and they were the perfect level of mediocre to let me effectively doze through the flight

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

haveblue posted:

I thought Lucas did that to be able to release under Lucasfilm and cut his ex wife out of any earnings on the original releases

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think you can explain every decision george lucas has made since 1983, from directorial decisions to fashion choices, with two words

1. bitter
2. lazy

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sweevo posted:

i did a fast & furious marathon back when it was just 7 movies, it was mostly an excuse to have friends over for day drinking

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

you made the right call lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I watched the first two hobbit movies because I’m an easily amused dumbass but after the second I had learned my lesson enough to skip the third

didn’t make the same mistake I made with revenge of the sith

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the extended version of the third hobbit is actually rated r, there's blood and flying orc gore bits [and an extended stupid vehicle section why do you make fantasy movies for a living if you love vehicle scenes]

e: still not worth watching, it was just funny having it on and wondering "how is this pg-13"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bet Peter Jackson was originally going to just make one Hobbit movie, and then some g-men showed up at his house and put the screws to him since Hobbit movies and paraphernalia form 80% of New Zealand's economy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I read that he wanted to do two movies but the studio made him do 3 so we get gandalf and galadriel's excellent dol guldur adventure and literally sauron reveling himself decades before lotr takes place

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The other 20% is one pharmacy run by a horny computer dork

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
rodtronics is a pillar of the economy. the tax revenue from tshirt sales alone...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

qirex posted:

I read that he wanted to do two movies but the studio made him do 3 so we get gandalf and galadriel's excellent dol guldur adventure and literally sauron reveling himself decades before lotr takes place

you can feel the point in the first movie where it was supposed to end, big hero moment and everything
then it keeps going

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

haveblue posted:

I watched the first two hobbit movies because I’m an easily amused dumbass but after the second I had learned my lesson enough to skip the third

this is what i did except i didn't make it through the 2nd

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

qirex posted:

It shows, considering the entire third movie is a single fight scene dragged out to feature film length, like a modern Marvel flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the hobbit is fine as long as you go make a sandwich whenever the elf girl and the other guy from lotr whose name is escaping me rn are on screen