Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Coolness Averted posted:

MA has a bill in its state leg to trade prison time for organ donation. It's got two dem cosponsors who are totally wokewashing their organ harvesting scheme by talking about 'incarcerated folks' and 'racial disparities in who receives organ donations'

black folks should have access to the silent auctions in Get Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/clevelandreaper/status/1620034542638710787

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Coolness Averted posted:

MA has a bill in its state leg to trade prison time for organ donation. It's got two dem cosponsors who are totally wokewashing their organ harvesting scheme by talking about 'incarcerated folks' and 'racial disparities in who receives organ donations'

Completely unsurprising. Someone said NPR had a bit on years ago about how, really shouldn't you be ALLOWED to sell off your organs?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would sell an organ if I could. Capitalism has beat me

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

To be clear, this whole concept is hosed up, but that being said: they're only knocking off 60 days to a year for a loving organ donation? What the gently caress? This is some "work for $1/hr" wages. They should be getting many years knocked off.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
b-but CHINA

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

How'd the cosponsors in question respond when the CIA outlets and Falun Gong were reporting that China was doing this lol

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Coolness Averted posted:

So if the person isn't a danger to society, and it's okay to let them out now if they donate rather than in a couple months/year, then why are they in prison in the first place? Conversely if the person is a danger to society, then why would you let them out sooner for donating?

I mean I know the answer is bad but sometimes it's just hard to wrap my brain around what people in favor of this kind of thing think the answer is.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Epic High Five posted:

How'd the cosponsors in question respond when the CIA outlets and Falun Gong were reporting that China was doing this lol

let's start with the word perfidious and go from there

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PoundSand posted:

So if the person isn't a danger to society, and it's okay to let them out now if they donate rather than in a couple months/year, then why are they in prison in the first place? Conversely if the person is a danger to society, then why would you let them out sooner for donating?

I mean I know the answer is bad but sometimes it's just hard to wrap my brain around what people in favor of this kind of thing think the answer is.

In a perfect spherical justice system and society, if you break the rules of that society you don't get to participate in society for a certain amount of time even if you promise not to break the rules again and seem to mean it.

In real life, because cruelty.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Every USA scare story about China is pure projection, jfc

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

COPE 27 posted:

Every USA scare story about China is pure projection, jfc

Well not every one, we do plenty of scare stories about them building train lines (TO NOWHERE!!!) that clearly has no parallel.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shame Boy posted:

In a perfect spherical justice system and society, if you break the rules of that society you don't get to participate in society for a certain amount of time even if you promise not to break the rules again and seem to mean it.

In real life, because cruelty.

imho in the perfect criminal justice system the person would be allowed back into society at exactly the point they're not going to cause harms again.
Like imagine if Bush extended the same level of compassion for the mentally handicapped people he executed as he displayed in Scooter Libby's pardon statement
Or if the average poor person with substance issues was shown the compassion a rich serial rapist is -since we'll see courts both say "they've got their whole life ahead of them!" Or "this convicted rapist got away with his crimes for so long, what's the danger in letting him enjoy his last decades in peace?" with the rich

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

imho in the perfect criminal justice system the person would be allowed back into society at exactly the point they're not going to cause harms again.
Like imagine if Bush extended the same level of compassion for the mentally handicapped people he executed as he displayed in Scooter Libby's pardon statement
Or if the average poor person with substance issues was shown the compassion a rich serial rapist is -since we'll see courts both say "they've got their whole life ahead of them!" Or "this convicted rapist got away with his crimes for so long, what's the danger in letting him enjoy his last decades in peace?" with the rich

I guess I meant the perfect spherical version of our justice system, like what it's ostensibly supposed to be about, not a perfect justice system entirely. There's definitely better options, yeah.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PoundSand posted:

The punitive model of crime says that criminals are responding to incentives, so that if a criminal is planning to steal $1,000 and has a 1% chance of being caught, the punishment needs to cause suffering equivalent to at least $100,000 to deter the crime. That could be two years of prison, or eighteen months of prison and a kidney. The important thing is that they suffer enough to pay their debt to society. Things like vocational training and job placement would only incentivize more criminals to commit crimes so they can go to prison.

This model is nonsense and doesn't work in the real world, but it's a fantastic source of cheap labour.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Our entire society is built on rules that might be fun in a video game or role playing setting but are in no way workable for real people

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
If you steal $1000 with a 1% chance of being caught, you are punished with $100k of torment.

If you steal $100,000 with a 1% chance of being caught but have $10m, you pay $1000 and call it a day.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Alucard posted:

If you steal $1000 with a 1% chance of being caught, you are punished with $100k of torment.

If you steal $100,000 with a 1% chance of being caught but have $10m, you pay $1000 and call it a day.

its called having competent legal defense

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Antonymous posted:

Actually it's called Just Being A Better Person

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Antonymous posted:

The best legal defence is a legal offence (lobbying)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They did mo-cap on Trump for those animations lmao.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What if I told you that... your monitor turned off :cool:

:blush:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/kevinbparry/status/1620978072777551872

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
woah are you telling me google isn't going to keep paying for those SUCKED ME OFF?!?! vids forever

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

get a real job

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cool to think that network television spends probably hundreds of millions a year on equipment and labor to get like 6 million people to look at a screen. Google is crushing it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Palladium posted:

woah are you telling me google isn't going to keep paying for those SUCKED ME OFF?!?! vids forever

To be fair that's just shorts, the worthless tiktok ripoff nobody likes that they're trying to push real hard. Though that makes it extra funny that they're paying so little for it since they really REALLY want it to take off judging by how many people in my subscriptions are putting out shorts with descriptions along the lines of "youtube told me to make this if I ever wanted to see viewers again please send help"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I mean it runs on repeat so 90% of those views aren't real

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

To be fair that's just shorts, the worthless tiktok ripoff nobody likes that they're trying to push real hard. Though that makes it extra funny that they're paying so little for it since they really REALLY want it to take off judging by how many people in my subscriptions are putting out shorts with descriptions along the lines of "youtube told me to make this if I ever wanted to see viewers again please send help"

It's really weird that if you (well, me) scroll through it, not ever interacting with the videos in anyway or even watching them, one day it'll be all dudes washing the floor at Kaaba, the next it'll be Youtubers or TikTokers or whatever, then SIGMA RULES, then anime, then lifehacks, then Christian stuff. I guess the algorithm is just throwing poo poo at me to see what sticks, but because I don't like, unlike, block, or even watch for more than it takes me to recognize it's not nobodysausage or papadin, it doesn't know what the gently caress to do?

(I will watch a new nobodysausage or Noble Knight cum Merlin short. Or something else that looks original which comes by like, every seven thousand billion swipes.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

3D Megadoodoo posted:

nobodysausage or Noble Knight cum Merlin short

Nice try, but I will not be searching for that!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

In Training posted:

cool to think that network television spends probably hundreds of millions a year on equipment and labor to get like 6 million people to look at a screen. Google is crushing it

Man would I pay $10/mo to have TV without ads like I can on YouTube.

Please don’t start a derail other ways to skip ad/sponsor segments on YouTube.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Remulak posted:

Move to a modern democratic country. Bing bong free TV (and streaming) without ads.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Remulak posted:

Please don’t start a derail other ways to skip ad/sponsor segments on YouTube.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

lol, my family friend makes significantly more than that uploading videos he makes of himself hanging out and doing chores at his north woods cabin and talking about the birds he sees and following animal tracks around

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Our entire society is built on rules that might be fun in a video game or role playing setting but are in no way workable for real people

They work just fine for those at the top of society. But then you can make a case those aren't really people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ew.

Dennis Miller

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

gun control proposal: if you get hit in the next mass shooting, just take cover and wait for your shield to recharge, no need for health pickups or a medic teammate

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

lol, my family friend makes significantly more than that uploading videos he makes of himself hanging out and doing chores at his north woods cabin and talking about the birds he sees and following animal tracks around

How can you post this without linking that dope poo poo

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Fireball Whiskey*

(May not contain actual whiskey)
This is just about the minibottles being a cheap ethanol, food coloring, sugar and artificial flavor blend, but sold with labeling and a price point that would make a customer think they're buying the whiskey of the same name, brand, and formulation.

The same way one assumed a gallon of milk and quart of milk would contain the same product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Coolness Averted posted:

Fireball Whiskey*

(May not contain actual whiskey)
This is just about the minibottles being a cheap ethanol, food coloring, sugar and artificial flavor blend, but sold with labeling and a price point that would make a customer think they're buying the whiskey of the same name, brand, and formulation.

The same way one assumed a gallon of milk and quart of milk would contain the same product.

guy buying fireball: oh no I've been deceived. I'm going to stop drinking this garbage