Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Truman Peyote posted:

that's correct. there is technically an open city but the only thing you ever do in it is drive back to the same three locations at the end of each mission. even the parts where you're in a car chase are over in like 30 seconds because the cops lose you if you escape their line of sight for a few seconds. you can go anywhere you want within it but why would you? there's nothing to do anywhere.

if you drive east of mzahnch theres a mudcrab who will buy whatever you got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

makes sense, mudcrabs are very shrewd which makes them good at negotiation and haggling

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

they sound more threatening than the rimworld crab

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

dioxazine posted:

they sound more threatening than the rimworld crab

the rimworld red fox will kill a baby, no problem

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd forgotten how much the Katamari games rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACneS-Eb2zw

Too bad about the poo poo controls but they are Japanese games so what can you do :shrug:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

the rimworld red fox will kill a baby, no problem

most hungry animals in rimworld would. that's just life on the frontier

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

dioxazine posted:

most hungry animals in rimworld would. that's just life on the frontier

rip ciaphas

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ikr, killed by a dumb animal before i got the chance to die doing something really stupid and/or dangerous! what a ripoff

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

ikr, killed by a dumb animal before i got the chance to die doing something really stupid and/or dangerous! what a ripoff

i would have defended you but i think i was already dead

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

have i been sacrificed yet?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qirex posted:

could it possibly be more racist than mafia 3? at least that's vaguely self-aware given the main character is black but whoo boy the first major setipece is a shootout in an incredibly racist abandoned theme park

Mafia 3 has a lot of racism in it, but considering you go through that theme park as a black feller and murder a whole bunch of good ol' boy racists idk if I'd call the game itself racist? I mean I wouldn't call In the Heat of the Night a racist film.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Mafia 3 has a lot of racism in it, but considering you go through that theme park as a black feller and murder a whole bunch of good ol' boy racists idk if I'd call the game itself racist? I mean I wouldn't call In the Heat of the Night a racist film.

A lot of people would, because it gets them engagement On TikTok or whatever the latest fad "website" is.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s http://firums.someethingawful.com/forums, op

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

linky not worky

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i would have defended you but i think i was already dead

i think i died of old age myself

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Too bad about the poo poo controls but they are Japanese games so what can you do :shrug:

look at this amazingly wrong opinion

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
god, Celeste still rules.

also, lmao my hypertension

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

still playing Hades a whole lot, got to credit roll again the other day

it's kind of weird, a whole bunch of plot threads and conversations that i recall from 2 years ago haven't even started, and yet a lot of characters've shifted to generic one-liners. i swear i remember Asterius and Other Guy having an argument or something at one point, for example

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

now i just got the dialogue with meg that's like "why the hell did you sign the pact of punishment you idiot" even though i've already had the dialogue for turning it on then back off the following run. i don't remember things being so inconsistent last time (not that it's a big deal or anything)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

it’s insane how much spoken dialog and lines are in Hades

I cannot wait for the sequel.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vintersorg posted:

it’s insane how much spoken dialog and lines are in Hades

I cannot wait for the sequel.

hades has maybe the most impressive narrative design since, like... king of dragon pass? which can't possibly be true but also i think it is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It took me a very long time to figure out you can talk to sisyphus’s boulder

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

it seems to only enable after it gets mentioned or something, 'cause I can't

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

now i just got the dialogue with meg that's like "why the hell did you sign the pact of punishment you idiot" even though i've already had the dialogue for turning it on then back off the following run. i don't remember things being so inconsistent last time (not that it's a big deal or anything)

i think if you progress fast enough it definitely makes the dialogue triggers a bit wonky since they get queued iirc, so stuff will fire some time after it's relevant

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sure is a weirdass queue then lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

haveblue posted:

wonder how it feels about the whole arrangement.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

President Beep posted:

wonder how it feels about the whole arrangement.

i'd say it's more stoic than sisyphus, even

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
rolled credits on my second full Celeste play through. why am I so old? why do my hands hurt so bad?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

MrQueasy posted:

rolled credits on my second full Celeste play through. why am I so old? why do my hands hurt so bad?

only one mixtape done, and no heart of the mountain or farewell. that’s for later, since I think I might be injuring my hands permanently if I continue right this second

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

hitman freelancer mode trip report day, uh, 5. finally managed to complete two sections of a campaign and only kill two suspects incorrectly because I don't know what earings look like. wanging people in the head with tools continues to be the most valuable tactic, and blowing open safes attracts surprisingly little attention

also this image is very apt:

why take guns when I can hide a banana in my pocket and make everyone fall down the stairs?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is that a banana in your pocket, 47, or are you just glad to see me?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

hitman freelancer mode trip report day, uh, 5. finally managed to complete two sections of a campaign and only kill two suspects incorrectly because I don't know what earings look like. wanging people in the head with tools continues to be the most valuable tactic, and blowing open safes attracts surprisingly little attention

also this image is very apt:

why take guns when I can hide a banana in my pocket and make everyone fall down the stairs?
so how rough would this freelancer mode be for someone who's only ever played london & sapienza from 1 in 3

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ciaphas posted:

so how rough would this freelancer mode be for someone who's only ever played london & sapienza from 1 in 3

Honestly I would play through the rest of the story missions first. They're pretty good (except for the very last mission on the train, which is more of an extended cinematic anyway). Don't look at guides, it defeats the point of the game. (You can come back later to achievement-hunt with a guide if you really want to).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

idk maybe not too bad if you're prepared to slam into a wall a few times. I don't remember playing 2, and 1 was ages ago so had no memory of any of the maps and it hasn't been that bad because your targets are in random locations, so it's not like you had to know how to get into a specific place

like I had a Hokkaido one where one target was right outside my door when I started and another was walking around the same floor. That should have been a silent assassin but I pressed the wrong button and pulled a knife and had to shoot my way out.

some of the maps in 3 are a pain in the rear end though (looking at you Berlin and Chongqing)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh, and the extra routes you unlock in the game carry into freelancer I think.

I guess it's easier to get a feel for things when you can savescum it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

is exanima worth getting? how long is it? only found out about it this past weekend and it looks cool but I don't like buying games that have been in development for 7+ years and still in early access with an update only roughly once per year

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Not a fan of the Dwarf Fortress steam release then I take it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jabor posted:

Honestly I would play through the rest of the story missions first. They're pretty good (except for the very last mission on the train, which is more of an extended cinematic anyway). Don't look at guides, it defeats the point of the game. (You can come back later to achievement-hunt with a guide if you really want to).
i ended up playing thru London & Sapienza again yesterday. Reminded me I've got two hang-ups I need to work past (advice appreciated)

- I savescum if I so much as get spotted by a camera. Unless i'm forced - overwrote an earlier save or something - it's really hard for me to just roll with mistakes instead of compulsively hitting Load
- I get kinda bored repeating levels, even for seeing different Mission Stories - not least because there's so many more levels to do - so my odds of memorizing much that's useful about the maps themselves is kinda slim. Especially if they're all the size of Sapienza, yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ciaphas posted:

i ended up playing thru London & Sapienza again yesterday. Reminded me I've got two hang-ups I need to work past (advice appreciated)

- I savescum if I so much as get spotted by a camera. Unless i'm forced - overwrote an earlier save or something - it's really hard for me to just roll with mistakes instead of compulsively hitting Load
- I get kinda bored repeating levels, even for seeing different Mission Stories - not least because there's so many more levels to do - so my odds of memorizing much that's useful about the maps themselves is kinda slim. Especially if they're all the size of Sapienza, yeesh
when i played hitman 1 and some of 2 i actually enjoyed barely making it through by the skin of my teeth. chaos mode is the greatest

when i first tried 1 i made myself miserable by trying to understand the whole clockwork mechanism. gently caress that. exploding rubber duckies etc are more fun

the thing is i did learn levels somewhat because you can't exactly clouseau your way out of everything so by brute forcing it you're basically a velociraptor systematically testing the game designers' electric fence. or a boomer asking very specific questions at the hr harassment seminar