Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The Critic is a show that I hope they never bring back, it is criminally underrated and while some bits have aged like milk, many have developed into a fine wine. Also, I think pretty much on YT in its entirety

I’d like to chit chat about The Critic

In short,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTwO0TlwOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If anyone wants a probe of the below lmk because Jeff answer me make this a looping background on the main page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QsaerU7kgI

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I'm not gay!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
A good number of quotes live in my head right next to Simpsons quotes.

"It's time to boogie with baby '37!"

"Penguins can't fly! PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!"

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Who are you people?"

"Oh no. Promotheus." :effort:

Anything involving Maurice LaMarche's Orson Wells.

And Jay's "ah-achem" noise.

I remember my friend and I getting kicked out of art class in grade school because we wouldn't stop bugging a girl with "Buy my book! Buy my book!"

It's been a few years since my last rewatch. Maybe I'll pair it with Mission Hill and relive mid-aughts late-night Comedy Central.

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 4, 2023

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

"Can I have your pickle?"
"Sure, they give me gas."
"Me too!"

That's lived in my head since I seen it on the comedy central 25 years ago.

Also when Duke says it's a challenge to get people in New York to take him seriously cause of his Southern accent and then opens up the panel in his office that has the animatronic hillbilly bear jamboree.

I wonder if people see the Simpsons/Critic episode crossover - the young people, I mean - and they 100% don't get that it's a crossover.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

"That THAT Guernica" is a quote I find myself saying far too often

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
:smug: Good morning, you're all just pretending to need this "medicine" because you're drug addicts.

:angel: Good evening, directed pharmaceutical use of amphetamines obviously enriches the lives of many itt and I just woul
The Critic is one of the best animated shows ever

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Wait a minute

Penguins can't fly

PENGUINS CAN'T FLY

*plane drops from the sky*

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

"Gaze into the hypnotic power of my EVIL EYE!"

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“What follows is a terrifying journey into the world of probate, beneficiaries, and GOBLINS!”

Goddamn, do I love The Critic.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mawve_3NSj4

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
They should reboot with Jay Sherman sharing an apartment with a character voiced by Andy Dick.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
:smug: Good morning, you're all just pretending to need this "medicine" because you're drug addicts.

:angel: Good evening, directed pharmaceutical use of amphetamines obviously enriches the lives of many itt and I just woul

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Wait, that's terrible. I quit.

.....just a handful for the road.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ahck-um

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

haljordan posted:

Wait, that's terrible. I quit.

.....just a handful for the road.

“Oh, what luck! There’s a French fry stuck in my beard!”

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The streets will run red with blood, thanks to Jay's oil!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Seems like one of those things that is beloved by goons but no one else cares or talks about it. I didn’t think much of it at the time, and the Simpsons crossover marks the exact point I stopped watching that show, but maybe I’m missing out, who knows!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bimmi posted:

Seems like one of those things that is beloved by goons but no one else cares or talks about it. I didn’t think much of it at the time, and the Simpsons crossover marks the exact point I stopped watching that show, but maybe I’m missing out, who knows!

“A Star Is Burns” is one of the greatest golden-era Simpsons episodes ever, and I still think of Matt Groening being a pisspants crybaby about it and removing his name from the episode out of spite when the general consensus on it is that it slaps.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 4, 2023

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If you can stand the Talking Simpsons guys, they did a full cover of every show in the series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

“A Star Is Burns” is one of the greatest golden-era Simpsons episodes ever, and I still think of Matt Groening being a pisspants crybaby about it and removing his name from the episode out of spite when the general consensus on it is that it slaps.

The principle motivating him to do that wasn't unsound, but yeah he ignored a few things:

1. Golden Age Simpsons writers had insane hit:miss ratios, and the episode actually did end up really good even without any context that it's a crossover.
2. Fears that The Simpsons would end up like a Hanna Barbera cartoon were legitimate, but like, even with raw entropy it still took them a full 15-20 years more before they started doing rancid poo poo like the Family Guy crossover and it's not like Groening stopped cashing every single check they sent him along the way.

SgtScruffy posted:

"That THAT Guernica" is a quote I find myself saying far too often

It's a permanent part of my lexicon and I'm lowkey worried that if I ever go to Spain I'll have to explain how no, actually my insensitivity is funny because a quarter century ago there was a Simpsons spin-off that

Bimmi posted:

It's one of those things where if you were even remotely disposed to that humor you've already found and integrated it, but it's very locked to its time/place so unless you're studying comedy or animation there's no real reason for anyone else to bother.

But that kind-of makes goons like me all the more eager to treasure it because it's unambiguously "ours" and unlike poo poo the Zoomers force themselves to remember fondly like the Star Wars Prequels, you can in-fact show The Critic to someone and even though they might cringe or roll their eyes it's hard to miss why it works.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It was so good and I loved it. I wish it had gotten another 3 or so full seasons. 100 eps total or so. Just enough to not wear out its welcome but still make a bigger splash on pop culture. Jay Sherman was such a decent guy, he's like the anti-homer. Duke owns, Dorris owns. Marty's no Bart but he's alright. Alice was cool.

I love my dead gay critic

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2I5mgsRAg8

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

my signature is a reference to The Critic. God drat it was good

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

A giant horse’s rear end…

You’re watching FOX!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Szyznyk posted:

A giant horse’s rear end…

You’re watching FOX!

You're watching FOX!

Shame on you.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
"Did you say 'Beauty and king dork'?"

"I said 'How useful is the spork'!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SatansOnion posted:

my signature is a reference to The Critic. God drat it was good

I don't see your signature :cool:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everything about Duke was just the best. I still regularly call things a "duketastrophe"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

muscles like this! posted:

Everything about Duke was just the best. I still regularly call things a "duketastrophe"

Agreed.

ALL HAIL DUKE

DUKE IS LIFE

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Fake Ted Turner was the greatest media mogul ever

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AvesPKS posted:

"Did you say 'Beauty and king dork'?"

"I said 'How useful is the spork'!"
DAMMIT

Also, :3: The Critic is a gem

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg2NUP2P_i4

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

https://youtu.be/IH1PJTY9AVA

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

The one thing I clearly remember from this show is the "New York, New York, it's a terrible town!" song bit, and that alone is enough to make the show worth remembering.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Nilknarf!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
You understand the silverware?