Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
The Critic is awesome because the beloved Jon Lovitz is a straight-up G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He's a really funny guy and I'm honestly surprised and kinda bummed he didn't have a bigger career. I think of him as hitler in rat race and am laughing so hard

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i watched a bit as a kid, my older siblings watched it but i dont think i was really getting most of the jokes. i do remember an episode where his kid was doing track events and when he jumped he ended up behind his starting point. if it was available id probably get it on dvd. along with duckman, which i sort of understood more.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
An audience watching the show in a few years will go, "Who are this Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel guy? Do they ever show up again?"

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Who has the lice in his afro?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"pure white please.... Uh.... Except for the gloves"

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
It STINKS

jkjk it’s alright

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Buy my book!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm gonna run this country like I run my company: I'm gonna raid the pension fund, dump chemicals in the oceans, and sell our best assets to the Japanese.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

i watched a bit as a kid, my older siblings watched it but i dont think i was really getting most of the jokes. i do remember an episode where his kid was doing track events and when he jumped he ended up behind his starting point. if it was available id probably get it on dvd. along with duckman, which i sort of understood more.
It is available on DVD, the complete series is under $20 on Amazon.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I like the one where Jay's sister is pissed about being forced to do a debutante ball and they put a bunch of people with massive head wounds in a small dark closet and call it the massive head injury fun room

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

The Critic owned, and still does own.

One of my favorite bits was spoofing Jurassic park: “you can’t lock a raptor in a room they’re too smart”. Cue newspaper sliding under the door and jiggling the handle until the key falls on it and retracts.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

And I still say Hachi Machi to this day

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's a really funny guy and I'm honestly surprised and kinda bummed he didn't have a bigger career. I think of him as hitler in rat race and am laughing so hard

If you need more John Lovitz check out NewsRadio. He plays 2 different one-off characters, then comes in for the last season and succedes (no one could replace) Phil Hartman. Actually just check out NewsRadio, it's great. Phil Hartman, Andy Dick, Dave Foley, Vicki Lewis, Stephen Root, and Joe Rogan at his most tolerable.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tnuctip posted:

The Critic owned, and still does own.

One of my favorite bits was spoofing Jurassic park: “you can’t lock a raptor in a room they’re too smart”. Cue newspaper sliding under the door and jiggling the handle until the key falls on it and retracts.

And the subsequent lying low in Venezuela and assuming off jobs under the name of Mr. Plinkington....

...but perhaps I've said too much.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

AvesPKS posted:

If you need more John Lovitz check out NewsRadio. He plays 2 different one-off characters, then comes in for the last season and succedes (no one could replace) Phil Hartman. Actually just check out NewsRadio, it's great. Phil Hartman, Andy Dick, Dave Foley, Vicki Lewis, Stephen Root, and Joe Rogan at his most tolerable.

And Andy Dick at his most tolerable

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've wanted to watch it but none of the places I... watch stuff had it. Funny as hell clips though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I didn't like the slightly rejiggered art style for season 2. Their pupils got massive, and I'm not sure what the point was. To make everyone look cuter? What for?

But I did love me some Alice Tompkins.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Kawaii Jay Sherman, my new username

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

teen witch posted:

Kawaii Jay Sherman, my new username

https://www.tumblr.com/fuckyeahthecritic/45236553301/sketchamagowza-what-if-the-critic-went-on-for

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tnuctip posted:

And I still say Hachi Machi to this day

:same:

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

And you think I like shooting animals?

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HsKvr9zTNo

This scene and the dramatic recreation of Jay being rescued from the fire were two of the most quoted between my 13-year-old friend group.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Has anybody said "it stinks" yet?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

THE BAR posted:

I didn't like the slightly rejiggered art style for season 2. Their pupils got massive, and I'm not sure what the point was. To make everyone look cuter? What for?

Probably part of the changes Fox wanted when they bought it for season 2. Make them look a bit more Simpson's like.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
the only thing from this show i remember is "take that, guernica" someone post the parts that aged poorly

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

THE BAR posted:

It makes it way easier to see where Jay is looking in a scene w/ the second design, which makes sense bc so much of the humor is in his reactions to things. His little dot pupils get a little lost in his S1 design.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

THE BAR posted:

Huh. Never noticed but that's p different

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Another thing I like about this show: it eviscerates woody allen. So many jokes at his expense

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

THE BAR posted:

For the reasons above, and yes to make it cuter. I'm presuming most of us know this but here's the history/myth rundown:

The Critic was deliberately drawn as "anti-domestic" as possible at a time when Roseanne and Home Improvement were two of the very top sitcoms, arriving just before FRIENDS really took off and reaffirmed urbane rich motherfuckers as the sitcom stars to beat and when Seinfeld was at its most meta/coasting. This creative choice made the show stand out, but way too much and in a way that made the bulk of viewership feel alienated rather than endeared.

Jay was a six-figure earning cosmopolitan who chilled with movie stars, billionaire moguls, and had Rockerfeller parents with a son who goes to the "United Nations" school. The first episode caused a big ruckus at ABC specifically because it involves Jay having casual sex with a woman who is just using him as a social stepping stone, and then when his child son finds out and says "I won't tell anyone" Jay jokes "Actually I wish you'd tell everybody." It's funny, but you can see why the more Conservative side of the entertainment industry bounced off of the show like it was made of teflon.

So to help give the show a fighting chance when they moved to FOX they softened the character designs significantly, they added Alice in as an "everywoman" to relate to complete with precocious kid, beefed up the pupils, redesigned some of the more posh settings, and of course added in more Simpsons-style jokes and did the crossover. It didn't help, but they really did give it the best chance it ever would have had.

This is pure apocrypha but I heard apparently the show was actually well-received in board rooms but during a clip of "Hee Haw: The Next Generation" someone powerful enough to get away with it threw a tantrum and basically shamed everyone else in the room for laughing at it. Which... sounds about right even if not a word is true. Everyone has that one style of comedy that makes them a sourpuss-- mine is polemic humor, which is why I'm such a delight at parties-- and sadly yeah that's how it goes, sometimes someone in a wedge position just hates your loving face and you get a bad deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6T2nRAazrY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

He shouldn't have badmouthed macgyver

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Junk posted:

the only thing from this show i remember is "take that, guernica" someone post the parts that aged poorly

https://youtu.be/IVXJmfd3cmg

Wait. No, you said aged poorly.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

For the reasons above, and yes to make it cuter. I'm presuming most of us know this but here's the history/myth rundown:

The Critic was deliberately drawn as "anti-domestic" as possible at a time when Roseanne and Home Improvement were two of the very top sitcoms, arriving just before FRIENDS really took off and reaffirmed urbane rich motherfuckers as the sitcom stars to beat and when Seinfeld was at its most meta/coasting. This creative choice made the show stand out, but way too much and in a way that made the bulk of viewership feel alienated rather than endeared.

Jay was a six-figure earning cosmopolitan who chilled with movie stars, billionaire moguls, and had Rockerfeller parents with a son who goes to the "United Nations" school. The first episode caused a big ruckus at ABC specifically because it involves Jay having casual sex with a woman who is just using him as a social stepping stone, and then when his child son finds out and says "I won't tell anyone" Jay jokes "Actually I wish you'd tell everybody." It's funny, but you can see why the more Conservative side of the entertainment industry bounced off of the show like it was made of teflon.

So to help give the show a fighting chance when they moved to FOX they softened the character designs significantly, they added Alice in as an "everywoman" to relate to complete with precocious kid, beefed up the pupils, redesigned some of the more posh settings, and of course added in more Simpsons-style jokes and did the crossover. It didn't help, but they really did give it the best chance it ever would have had.

This is pure apocrypha but I heard apparently the show was actually well-received in board rooms but during a clip of "Hee Haw: The Next Generation" someone powerful enough to get away with it threw a tantrum and basically shamed everyone else in the room for laughing at it. Which... sounds about right even if not a word is true. Everyone has that one style of comedy that makes them a sourpuss-- mine is polemic humor, which is why I'm such a delight at parties-- and sadly yeah that's how it goes, sometimes someone in a wedge position just hates your loving face and you get a bad deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6T2nRAazrY

They probably didn't like the Klingons at the UN school either

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I checked out this cool thread early this morning cuz I really liked this show. I went to a coffee shop and somehow, as if drawn to it by fate, there was a drawing of Jay Sherman on this glass pane in front of the counter. Hachi machi!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Can't one dinner go by where we don't talk about your rotting corpse!?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Jon Lovitz is a hero

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ok now no one remember the shortlived Flash revival where Jay divorced Alice and is just sad and the jokes suck

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Treecko posted:

Jon Lovitz is a hero

Whaling on andy dick in a nightclub like he's some sort of bouncer is hilarious. The guy don't miss!

FilthyImp posted:

Ok now no one remember the shortlived Flash revival where Jay divorced Alice and is just sad and the jokes suck

He shouldn't have done that. That being said Jay always seemed to outkick his coverage

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Promothus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, during that brief period where everyone was starting to realize Flash was great for doing animation really cheap and fast, but hadn't figured out you still need to budget for like, writers and actors and stuff.

There was also a whole series of Flash Looney Tunes that were just kind of... there.