Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
gently caress it, i'll do the warners title top right.

Except it's been redeemed, 45 minutes ago. Show yourself!

Trying the next one down, Paramount.

Overlord. Urg. Can i send this one back please

Edit: at least i don't already own it :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Overlord is great! It’s the best Castle Wolfenstein movie we’ll ever get.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Overlord is great! It’s the best Castle Wolfenstein movie we’ll ever get.

It peaks on the monsters way too early. You gotta save an impressive monster for the climax.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

pwn posted:

Yeah without knowing what's what i can't really participate. I already own nope, reserve your dogs and dork crystal. I would feel like poo poo if i redeemed something i had and deprived someone else. Thank you though!

MoviesAnywhere app shows what you are redeeming before you tap "Accept". I scanned Nope, Dark Crystal, and Batman codes, and decided to leave everything on the table for someone else

pwn
May 27, 2004

ringu0 posted:

MoviesAnywhere app shows what you are redeeming before you tap "Accept". I scanned Nope, Dark Crystal, and Batman codes, and decided to leave everything on the table for someone else

I legit did not know if that was already a burned code by that point or not. Thanks for the clarification.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I impulse bought The Dentist 1+2 Blu Ray for $13, what am I getting into? At least it wasn't clowns.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Boinks posted:

I impulse bought The Dentist 1+2 Blu Ray for $13, what am I getting into? At least it wasn't clowns.

Haven’t seen the second but I thought the first was fun back in the day. Funny and some gross practical effects, although it’s been years since I last saw it. For $13 I’m sure you’ll be fine.

At least it wasn’t Clownhouse!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

PinkoBastard posted:

Gold Ninja also did a version of The Mad Monster that I’d love to get, I love old 30s and 40s horror stuff. Anything with George Zucco or Lionel Atwill is A-OK in my book.

Mill Creek used to put out plenty of these old films on their horror 50 packs, back when they were just another "public domain" bootlegger company. Some crummy prints straight from VHS or ripped from other companies' bargain DVDs. They definitely had a couple weirdo George Zucco films. Another random title I remember is One Body Too Many, a goofy dark house slapstick farce about an insurance guy who shows up at a classic old dark house and gets mistaken for a detective, leading to wacky misunderstandings and hijinks.

Seconding the Gold Ninja love, I have their Jackie Chan exploitation pack and the beautiful Thrilling Sword release. The thoughtful presentation counts for a lot, and I'm beyond amazed at seeing an 80s "laser wuxia" get a nice HD release.

Dr. Jerrold Coe fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 5, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have some fond memories of watching 50-100-pack Mill Creek dvds and discovering that some of them had tracking problems.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There was that brief golden period when Walmart had double packs of those big Mill Creek box sets, so you'd get like 100 MST3K level movies for real cheap. I got the sci Fi ones with Gamera on them and the 70s b movie pack. I will never watch them lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My best Mill Creek weird find was The Harrad Experiment, which is like a college boner comedy but played completely straight without any attempt at humor. And you see Bruno Kirby’s dick. Mill Creek also introduced me to Night Train to Terror and Dungeonmaster. And I think Eliminators.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1622263788635316225

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

I AM GRANDO posted:

My best Mill Creek weird find was The Harrad Experiment, which is like a college boner comedy but played completely straight without any attempt at humor. And you see Bruno Kirby’s dick. Mill Creek also introduced me to Night Train to Terror and Dungeonmaster. And I think Eliminators.

I first saw Bloodtide on the sci-fi pack, watched it over and over as a kid, and now it's got a great HD release from Arrow, incredible. Some more highlights I remember are Night Train to Terror, Legend of Bigfoot, Deadtime Stories, and a goofy Bill Rebane comedy about an intelligent monster truck called Twister's Revenge.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I own the horror and sci fi 50 packs and the prints are (mostly) bad but there’s something so fun about choosing one of them to watch, and the “2 or 3 movies per disc” format. it’s been a long time since I dug them out but I really have a lot of affection for those sets.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

PinkoBastard posted:

I own the horror and sci fi 50 packs and the prints are (mostly) bad but there’s something so fun about choosing one of them to watch, and the “2 or 3 movies per disc” format. it’s been a long time since I dug them out but I really have a lot of affection for those sets.

It’s also fun to select the Play All option and then let them run in the background when you’re working from home or folding laundry. There’s something deeply nostalgic for me about lo-fi movies as background, probably rooted in renting bad movies on VHS in high school and letting them play in my room as ambiance while I dicked around on a modem connection or chattered with friends on the phone. They look awful, by and large, because they’ve also squeezed the bitrate to cram so many movies onto the disc, but if you wanted HD, this wouldn’t be your jam anyway. Good stuff. And Mill Creek sent a replacement disc for a defective one in my pack in all of two days!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I miss randomly selected movies on the local uhf stations on Saturday afternoon in the fall. Those mill creek packs recreate that viewing experience very well.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The digital channels like MeTV, Comet, Charge, Laff and such fill that void pretty well. It’s nice to flip over and find a Godzilla marathon on a Saturday afternoon.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Mill Creek is the reason I got so deep into spaghetti westerns, dogshit transfers aside. That box set had so many good ones.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Which box sets in particular are you all talking about?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

worms butthole guy posted:

Which box sets in particular are you all talking about?

For me it’s these two, although there are others:

https://www.millcreekent.com/products/horror-classics-50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325358626902?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, thats what I thought but wanted to make sure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I had these:

And some with the Horror Classics title that were 4 or 8 movies to a package and sold at Borders. I still have the discs but dumped the cases at some point.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
These all look amazing and I want them all

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

These ones were what I was talking about. There's also a smaller box of Kung Fu films that contains some Bruceploitation and Crippled Masters, and a tin full of spaghetti westerns. Very mixed quality transfers and if you buy enough of these you'll end up with like 20 copies of Night of the Living Dead, but it's cool to pick one based off the title and jump in blind.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

worms butthole guy posted:

These all look amazing and I want them all

They're a ton of fun. Mostly dogshit transfers like Lumbermouth said, but there was a treasure hunt appeal and it was so nice to throw a disc in and just let it play through. The spaghetti western 44 pack stole a bunch of 4:3 letterboxed transfers of some classics like Mannaja, Keoma, and Run Man Run, plus the Sartana films. Originally the packs came in sturdy cardboard boxes with thick paper sleeves for all the discs, but at some point Mill Creek "upgraded" to big plastic clamshells which look super slick but unfortunately are very brittle and prone to breaking. Beware if you want to pick any up used. Plus the rereleases swapped out a few titles here and there due to copyright issues.

Here's a pic of their old style cases, stolen from reddit:

The Warriors pack of sword and sandal films was another cherished set for me, 100% bad VHS rips taken from awful color rotted TV prints but some fantastic titles nonetheless. The Sci-Fi Invasion pack is one of their later ones and has some great trash titles like ROTOR, Topline, and Raiders of Atlantis.

Now, who wants to try to wax nostalgic about Videoasia?

Dr. Jerrold Coe fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 6, 2023

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I got the spaghetti western pack. I have a DVD player connected to a crt so I'm hoping the quality on some of these are way less notable

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Horror Classics releases I remember were from Platinum Disc Corporation, a budget version of Mill Creek:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This looks like the ultimate Mill Creek box

https://www.millcreekent.com/collections/movie-packs/products/drive-in-cult-cinema

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mantis42 posted:

These ones were what I was talking about. There's also a smaller box of Kung Fu films that contains some Bruceploitation and Crippled Masters, and a tin full of spaghetti westerns. Very mixed quality transfers and if you buy enough of these you'll end up with like 20 copies of Night of the Living Dead, but it's cool to pick one based off the title and jump in blind.

They also had 2 different 50 pack collections of martial arts films which I still love to death:

First one is a really wide swath of kung fu, with Godfrey Ho ninjas, Carter Wong escapades, some Bruceploitation, the incredible ozploitation Day of the Panther, all around good flick Shadow Ninja (aka Killer Wears White), and Polly Shang Kwan in the fantasy wuxia Return of the Kung Fu Dragon. The original release also had some Sonny Chiba Streetfighter entries which got replaced later for copyright reasons. Also features Weng Weng in the Impossible Kid and a couple episodes of Lee Van Cleef's show The Master. The transfers are all over the place and the original release includes the cool ANE VHS logo with the hawk before Ninja Wars - the rerelease keeps this title but replaces the print!!!

The second pack was released in 2014 in a belated attempt at riding the coattails of Man with the Iron Fists, and is one of the last 50 packs Mill Creek released. Title include some great (non-ninja) Godfrey Ho flicks - mostly South Korean ones he dubbed, reedited, and slapped his name on, like Five Pattern Dragon Claws or Marvelous Stunts of Kung Fu - and a tight selection of Bruceploitation. Another highlight is The Woman Avenger starring Hsia Kwan Li of The Leg Fighters fame, this one has a really brutal final fight. Mostly clean 4:3/letterboxed transfers here, along with nice looking versions of Nine Deaths of the Ninja and Scorpion.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

I googled for reviews and was not disappointed:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nice, it’s got Low Blow AND The Guy From Harlem.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know…50 cents a movie? Seems kind of steep for one of these releases.

pwn
May 27, 2004

If you muffinheads start some awful revival of those 1,000 movie packs i am gonna burn the building down

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I’m guessing most of those movies are up on Prime in similar quality

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

By the time I really got into movies Blu-ray was a thing and I wanted everything in that quality.

Bubba Ho-Tep is getting a UHD release now. It was one of the first movies I bought with money from my Target stocking job in 2007. I have the DVD with the jumpsuit cover. I don’t think I’ll upgrade it though. It feels appropriate being on DVD.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

morestuff posted:

I’m guessing most of those movies are up on Prime in similar quality

They're probably on Archive.org.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

wa27 posted:

They're probably on Archive.org.

Yeah or youtube. Bootlegger George Tan of videoasia/xenon/ground zero runs the Wutang Collection on youtube which has lit. 1000s of old kung fu film uploads. He's got some kind of app you're supposed to pay for to get ad free viewing, classic Tan scammery. There's an excellent story in the book These Fists Break Bricks from an early video guy about getting ripped off by Tan in the 80s: Tan was renting his legit Shaw Bros import tapes and duping them for his own Dragon Video, story ends with the dude chasing Tan down the street when he finds out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea but this is the thread for people who desire to buy a physical version of something that you can easily get for free online

E: there should totally be a Kung Fu movie about tape bootleggers tho

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 6, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

By the time I really got into movies Blu-ray was a thing and I wanted everything in that quality.

Bubba Ho-Tep is getting a UHD release now. It was one of the first movies I bought with money from my Target stocking job in 2007. I have the DVD with the jumpsuit cover. I don’t think I’ll upgrade it though. It feels appropriate being on DVD.

Yeah, i got that back when i came out in 2004. I think i watched it once. drat fine edition though.

Spot gloss, tons of embossing, substantial booklet. They used to just give you this stuff for normal prices. Ah, the good old days. Get my pay and go give it to BB every week.

And while that was watched once, Almost Famous Bootleg Cut, which was bought around the same time, has gotten watched like 100 times so it evens out.

I'd feel silly buying it on 4k but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mantis42 posted:

E: there should totally be a Kung Fu movie about tape bootleggers tho

could have a New York Ninja/Miami Connection vibe

awhile back I found a huge stack of Black Belt kung fu magazines at goodwill, they had some great old ads for kung fu tapes. These 2 are taken from this cityonfire article: https://cityonfire.com/evolution-of-collecting-kung-fu-asian-film/

edit: another good article http://www.coolasscinema.com/2014/06/fists-kicks-and-kung-fu-theater-growing_29.html

Dr. Jerrold Coe fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 6, 2023