Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

akadajet posted:

iphones have consistently good cameras, op

some android models have better ones, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

akadajet posted:

iphones have consistently good cameras, op

...okay?

did I say anything against them?

I'm saying phone cameras/sensors are good enough, and you can print those photos.

I don't give a poo poo if it's apple or android, who the gently caress cares

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

I don't give a poo poo if it's apple or android, who the gently caress cares

you're in the wrong subforum, buddy.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

is yospos an apple enclave?

brand loyalty is for dumb people

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

is yospos an apple enclave?

brand loyalty is for dumb people

whatever phone you use is the wrong one. but especially if you use android

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i'd rather not use a phone.

i wish there was an eink phone that has maps and works with my car's nav system.
slow tech.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

akadajet posted:

whatever phone you use is the wrong one. but especially if you use android

wrong decade man

apple sucks now too. they are essentially equivalent

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
phone sensors do suck but the image processing going on in there is insane these days and lets you get way better photos than you should be able to

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

phone sensors do suck but the image processing going on in there is insane these days and lets you get way better photos than you should be able to

people have gotten so used to the phone processed look even bad photos taken with dedicated cameras blow them away

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

phones with "good enough" sensors can shoot raws these days, my huawei does too and its from like 2018

so, no processing going on there beyond what the sensor itself does. pretty good output imo, i can look for a few samples later

e: you can also force raw output out of most android phones with a third-party cam app but the results usually are awful

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 3, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

this is 100% crop of the RAW photo, it has a really good non-digital look to it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

some huawei pics

those were all raw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

that's not necessary. raws from my other camera systems do that too, just not as well. it's only really useful if you are doing heavy post processing or really whiffed it hard on the exposure or something, which is a mistake i really really really rarely make

sometimes when raising blacks I lose a bit of detail I want to keep. there is only one solution to this quandary which is to raise the shadows. lightroom can do this as can many other software.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think my phone takes pretty good pics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sweet tiger there

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

I think my phone takes pretty good pics

good dog

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this thread is teaching me that there are sweet things to take photos of , and there are sweet photos, but they aren’t necessarily the same thing

getting photos of sweet things isn’t, as a given, a sweet photo

I am a fan of my rig because it does a very nice job of taking photos of sweet things. but I’m kinda clueless when it comes to nice photos. a lot of people like my photos but that’s because the content is sweet and it’s perhaps technically good, but a good photo is something largely elusive to me

i’ll keep going. at the very least even if I am not taking good photos, people often like the content. this is what keeps me going.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

not sure which one i like better. i think the second one cause it makes my eyes feel funny. i think it might look better in b&w but im not sure - if love advice on that. "neither are worthwhile" is also an ok response

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 5, 2023

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i think i like the second one better; the first one feels off balance as shot, but a little closer, a little more toward the corner, and the corresponding extra bit of bokeh would more firmly lead the eye around the frame. the second one is pretty nice centered like that, to me anyway

i took my film body and film-suitable fixed focal length kit out to finally finish a roll of film i loaded into it in 2017. i took a digital body with me, too… my k-01, the world’s dumbest mirrorless. i probably would have enjoyed doing that more if it hadn’t been set to jpeg for some reason. the jpegs out of this camera (or at least how they load in lightroom) are smeary like iphone heifs. i also was kind of shooting intentionally questionable frames, though, so eh.

i also had used a card in it i hadnt checked since 2018. those weren’t intentional crap photos, so they were just let down by being kinda crap jpegs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

not sure which one i like better. i think the second one cause it makes my eyes feel funny. i think it might look better in b&w but im not sure - if love advice on that. "neither are worthwhile" is also an ok response

the second one is better. the first would be a good angle if you were using a wider lens or had taken a step back or two

nurrwick posted:

i think i like the second one better; the first one feels off balance as shot, but a little closer, a little more toward the corner, and the corresponding extra bit of bokeh would more firmly lead the eye around the frame. the second one is pretty nice centered like that, to me anyway

i took my film body and film-suitable fixed focal length kit out to finally finish a roll of film i loaded into it in 2017. i took a digital body with me, too… my k-01, the world’s dumbest mirrorless. i probably would have enjoyed doing that more if it hadn’t been set to jpeg for some reason. the jpegs out of this camera (or at least how they load in lightroom) are smeary like iphone heifs. i also was kind of shooting intentionally questionable frames, though, so eh.

i also had used a card in it i hadnt checked since 2018. those weren’t intentional crap photos, so they were just let down by being kinda crap jpegs

these are great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

love this and how it’s bloomy

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks for the advice yall!

we went to the pier for lunch today and then little jones and i played on the beach for a while. i got a ton of pictures, almost none of which turned out due to the focus being wonky. i think i had the aperture set too low to get multiple depths in focus together. next time ill probabl just do auto instead of aperture priority, because i'm disappointed with how it all turned out

it was a really good time, though, and the beer and shrimp were both good. so i mean, a very successful lunch date even if it was not photographically productive

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

years ago i went to a photography class and the instructor’s opinion was you should start with full auto for 2 reasons:

you want 100% of your focus on composition when you’re inexperienced,

and it’s better to come home to 3/4 of your shots looking good and 1/4 being compromised by the auto meter, than for all your shots to be hosed up because you misunderstood how to set aperture

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I first got a camera the numbers were why I used it. didn’t know what the numbers did but that’s what I cared about

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
taking a picture of a fence up close to get some shallow depth of field was where the gold was

my friends gave me poo poo about it, but they just weren’t ready for a blurry fence

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

years ago i went to a photography class and the instructor’s opinion was you should start with full auto for 2 reasons:

you want 100% of your focus on composition when you’re inexperienced,

and it’s better to come home to 3/4 of your shots looking good and 1/4 being compromised by the auto meter, than for all your shots to be hosed up because you misunderstood how to set aperture

My advice has always been to learn aperture priority first as it's easy to understand what aperture does with manual focus lenses if you can read the aperture scale on it. With the death of physical aperture scales it's more obfuscated.

It's been a while since I've used a digital camera but I believe you can output DOF numbers to your display, that's what I'd be doing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I shoot in Av at least 95% of the time and M the other 5% only when I need a locked exposure.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sagebrush posted:

I shoot in Av at least 95% of the time and M the other 5% only when I need a locked exposure.

same unless i'm shooting birds in bad light cos i'd rather crank the iso and get a noisy photo than one completely unusable with motion blur

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i bought halide because i legit could not fathom carrying the camera bag around today after walking 11 miles yesterday and we were dealing with some pleasing sights. this looks fine for insta but absolute trash if you zoom in even a little. maybe a tripod would have helped. idk mad at myself for not having the camera but my body is beat and we're only here one night.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im hopefully going to be buying a 25mm extension tube tonight, depending on how ebay goes. i am very excited to take more bug pics etc with my 50mm

a guy at work is unloading a tripod i have agreed to buy too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

update: got the extension tube. it's the canon one so i don't have to worry about it being a poo poo. at least, i hope i don't

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's literally just a tube. there is nothing to be poo poo about it. if it has the right mounts on each end and they are parallel with each other it gets 100%

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

unless the mechanism is hard to get on/off the body, or the same for the lens, or it wobbles, or the electrical connection bridging the pieces is faulty, or

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

update: got the extension tube. it's the canon one so i don't have to worry about it being a poo poo. at least, i hope i don't

hope it works out well :)

Achmed Jones posted:

unless the mechanism is hard to get on/off the body, or the same for the lens, or it wobbles, or the electrical connection bridging the pieces is faulty, or

yep lol a surprising amount of poo poo can go wrong with them

they have signs for hydrants over there? lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

also same, i've posted a bit about it before

another thing that's important to me is that if you're bracketing shots for stacking later, aperture priority allows you to maintain a consistent shot. it is legitimately surprising how many bodies will change aperture when doing burst shooting, who the hell wants that? lol

i guess if your goal is "just take a clear picture" it doesn't really matter but :shrug: does to me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it's literally just a tube. there is nothing to be poo poo about it. if it has the right mounts on each end and they are parallel with each other it gets 100%

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah I have some cheap tubes but the mounting hardware is cheap and nasty. the canon gear will have much better materials and tolerances

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

hey thanks folks for the feedback, i'm glad you liked the shot i found disappointing. it's good to remember other people can see past your own internal limitations sometimes, especially during a rough week.

re: tubechat - i have a couple of aftermarket kenko tube-related products (25mm extension and 1.4x teleconverter), and while they work fine, they don't feel as good - the mating surfaces and latching mechanisms seem to be rougher and give off a strange feel when in use. it also changes the balance of the camera in a strange way because they're so light. that has a benefit, at least, in that it's less weight in the bag! none of this is insurmountable or makes me not want to use the devices, but the plastic body and cheaper mounts are certainly there. someday i want to switch out for the first party teleconverter so it does the math on focal length and aperture for me, but i also don't want to replace working gear, and the cheaper tc works fine.

all that to say: as long as it doesn't fall apart, yes absolutely it will do the job forever, and with extension tubes, there's not even any wondering if the optics are letting you down.

re: modechat - I basically only ever shoot in Av with auto ISO right now. i do make extensive use of exposure compensation, as it works better for the way i learned how to think on cameras. as much as id like to say that i found the creative control made possible by changing the aperture to be more engaging than changing shutter speed or some learned thing i could say about my opinions now, instead i will blame lazy 22 year old me for learning on a compact film slr with no automation at all and getting into the bad habit of only thinking about changing the lens setting because the ergonomics stopped me from wanting to twist the shutter dial. i also... given the two factors outside my control for any given shot on a roll of film (ambient light and film speed, though i guess focal length+hand shake figured into that too), it was easier for me to visualize what the aperture was going to do in the range of shutter speeds that were available for a given shot. the only time i use manual shooting is if i am using old K and M lenses, or if I'm messing around with night sky/fireworks/light painting stuff.

i do find that pentax does a pretty good job with determining exposure time and iso based on the lens's internal data, which i think comes down to the mtf curve and focal length. the only time i have to really make sure i have things more fixed down is if i'm shooting my 300mm; 1/400 isn't really good enough with 2015-era shake reduction for me, and that's where the camera is absolutely convinced it should keep the shutter speed. fortunately, i also already have to have a special user config setting for that lens because half the time, the body's af module just gives up confirming a lock even if the selected point is in focus. i have no idea if that's a body problem or a lens problem, but i know my af mirror was filthy and probably still needs cleaning.

speaking of... does anyone have experience with cleaning services for dslrs? i've never had it done, and precision camera decided not to respond to my email so i guess they don't want to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I just shoot wide open all the time for better or worse. not so much “aperture priority” as it is “automatic for shutter speed and iso”