Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

champagne posting posted:

I dislike fizzbuzz. it tells me nothing as an interviewer and even less as an interviewee

give me a problem that contains something your team use a lot. call an api and do a thing, transform some data, make a website show A Thing

alternative have some code prepared and have your interviewee tell you what is happening in said code. I tried this once and it sparked good conversation

i love fizzbuzz because it tells me within 15 minutes whether its worth carrying on with the rest of the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My interview for my current job did a Fizzbuzz and I'm pretty sure I pointedly rolled my eyes when they brought it up. They were then oddly impressed by me doing "i % 15 == 0" instead of "i % 3 == 0 && i % 5 == 0"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like idk maybe you guys dont have this issue, but around half of the people I interview cannot do a fizzbuzz without a lot of coaching. One person tried to argue with me about how if statements worked.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

like idk maybe you guys dont have this issue, but around half of the people I interview cannot do a fizzbuzz without a lot of coaching. One person tried to argue with me about how if statements worked.

it does bespeak lovely sourcing of interviewees but you cant do anything about that as a normal toucher

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
literally every single interview i have done for underclass level intern positions has been orders of magnitude more complex or domain specific than fizzbuzz. who is giving fizzbuzz to real applicants??

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think rotors company is prolly a lot more shambolic than the stuff you're applying to

you do get a lot different sort of interview (and hopefully candidate, assuming your candidate pipeline itself isnt dog poo poo) for the 400k jobs than the 100k jobs and prolly thatll always be the case

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 6, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

very much the same (obviously, as the fellow fizzbuzz defender). with fizzbuzz as a standin for that level of task rather than necessarily literally that task.

it is not even a purely negative test, candidates that can both do fizzbuzz and communicate with other human beings (the other first hour interview check) are pretty often good candidates.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

lord fifth posted:

literally every single interview i have done for underclass level intern positions has been orders of magnitude more complex or domain specific than fizzbuzz. who is giving fizzbuzz to real applicants??

After your dozens of real applicants fail to write a single line of valid code you tend to look for different ways to evaluate....or in my case, move the test earlier in the process to avoid wasting time. I seriously had a similar long term success rate with hires by using simple coding tests as a way to trivially reject the unqualified as I did with more complex tests designed to separate top tier from mid to top.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also, part of this is that most candidates come with a cv, when it comes to complex domain stuff having a chat on cv contents mostly covers it ime.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

lord fifth posted:

I totally expected to get a harder question after the Fizzbuzz, but nope!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also, part of this is that most candidates come with a cv, when it comes to complex domain stuff having a chat on cv contents mostly covers it ime.

i have never completely trusted a cv or cv chat and its served me well in many many instances

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

theflyingexecutive posted:

project ideally

right! I'm trying to jump into a role like that at a level where I can get more familiarity with the operational structure and hopefully get them to pay for professional creds that can jump me into a higher salary. my org now is way too small with too narrow of scope where formal pm tools would be at all necessary

The dual edged sword here is that Project Manager is a hugely variable job title....ie you already have enough experience to apply for a role called Project Manager, but you'll likely be overqualified for some of the roles and underqualified for others.

If you had some cheap easy credential (like a CSM or something) or some way to show in your resume / application that you knew what user stories were and the basics of how to write them plus some general agile vocabulary it'd probably be enough to get you an interview. If you play up the complexity of managing relationships, the number of folks you were coordinating, the stakes of what you were delivering, etc, I bet you could build a reasonable proxy for what software PM folks are looking for. Timelines, budgets, stakeholder management, cat herding, etc are all things you can talk about and all directly apply to software PMing.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

a teacher friend recently told me her curriculum includes teaching fizz buzz to elementary students. they use different words, but it's literally "here's a list of numbers, write foo next to multiples of 3, bar next to multiples of 5, and foobar next to multiples of both"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fizzbuzz was taken from the elementary school exercise not the other way around

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

nudgenudgetilt posted:

a teacher friend recently told me her curriculum includes teaching fizz buzz to elementary students. they use different words, but it's literally "here's a list of numbers, write foo next to multiples of 3, bar next to multiples of 5, and foobar next to multiples of both"

yeah i did something like this in elementary school. class got in a big circle and youd go around counting. you had to say the special word for each multiple or you were out of the game (and a stupid loser)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/terminallyOL/status/1622571890513526784

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:hmmyes:

powerful

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I feel I've put together a decent pm resume. I've also zeroed in on PMI's CAPM as the best balance of a cheap and fast way to get a recognizable PM credential on there (all of my pming experience has been rather informal).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if that grey border thing is a page break it needs to not be a page break

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if that grey border thing is a page break it needs to not be a page break

cool. I can kill some dead space

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can safely drop the research assistant position.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
it feels great when you interview someone who clearly knows their stuff and solves a problem well, talks about it well, and asks clear and useful questions

feels great to be the person doing that as well but that happens to me less tbh!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

it feels great when you interview someone who clearly knows their stuff and solves a problem well, talks about it well, and asks clear and useful questions

feels great to be the person doing that as well but that happens to me less tbh!

must be nice. this week i interviewed someone who claimed a decade of experience as a "full stack engineer" and had mongodb, postgres, and mysql all listed under their skills. a favorite easy filter question of mine is just "give me a high level overview of the differences between these, and tell me when you might consider using each". all I could get out of the guy was to use mongodb when you have a lot of data and want to be fast, and use mysql or postgres if you're in an enterprise environment. couldn't get anything about document stores vs relational databases or clustering and failover out of him. just fast/big = mongo, enterprise = sql.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

must be nice. this week i interviewed someone who claimed a decade of experience as a "full stack engineer" and had mongodb, postgres, and mysql all listed under their skills. a favorite easy filter question of mine is just "give me a high level overview of the differences between these, and tell me when you might consider using each". all I could get out of the guy was to use mongodb when you have a lot of data and want to be fast, and use mysql or postgres if you're in an enterprise environment. couldn't get anything about document stores vs relational databases or clustering and failover out of him. just fast/big = mongo, enterprise = sql.

wow, they didn't even get
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it always boggles me when people suck so bad at their interviews. it's like my guy, i literally just asked you an easy question about a thing you said you were good at. why are you failing. this is so sad for you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
resumes are marketing documents

they have the same relation to the truth as other marketing documents

its advice for the resume writer but also for the resume reader

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

it always boggles me when people suck so bad at their interviews. it's like my guy, i literally just asked you an easy question about a thing you said you were good at. why are you failing. this is so sad for you.

Interviews can be very stressful for a million different reasons and learning to read incompetence from interview nerves as an interviewer is a good skill in my experience :shrug:. Funnily enough FizzBuzz fits in this category where its simple enough even if you got interview nerves you should get it without much trouble.

If I'm on a technical panel I always lead with that I don't care what your resume says or the position is for. If its beneath you, you can answer it in 30 seconds and we all happily move on. The number of PhDs I gotta interview who cant do basic coding challenge is staggering in my experience though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah like i get it, interviews are stressful but I can only lower the bar so far. Like i dont even insist you get fizzbuzz perfectly right, but you cant struggle with syntax and you cant be confused about how if works vs if/else.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

yeah like i get it, interviews are stressful but I can only lower the bar so far. Like i dont even insist you get fizzbuzz perfectly right, but you cant struggle with syntax and you cant be confused about how if works vs if/else.

most fundamentally you have to be able to talk about how it is going like a human being. which unfortunately filters out a lot of people with anxiety, but also filters out so many bad candidates that i can't really bend on it.

ideally i'd be able to fully differentiate between the two, but that is genuinely difficult.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my teams take home question is fairly simple, it's literally "given a url get the body and return an md5 hash of it"

It's really interesting seeing the variety if responses, they invariably fall into one of three categories :

1. long/complicated answer because they don't understand the request or know how to do it

2. one liners

3. long/complicated answer because they're showing off

regardless of the solution it gives us some insight into how they think and helps guide further conversation

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

my teams take home question is fairly simple, it's literally "given a url get the body and return an md5 hash of it"

It's really interesting seeing the variety if responses, they invariably fall into one of three categories :

1. long/complicated answer because they don't understand the request or know how to do it

2. one liners

3. long/complicated answer because they're showing off

regardless of the solution it gives us some insight into how they think and helps guide further conversation

my favorite async screener was a question on the application that was something like "Obtain a token from the HTTP service described in the HTTP SRV record for foo.com. A simple GET / against the host and port described in the record will return a token."

i just had nginx running on a box serving up '{"token": "youfoundthetoken"}'.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

learning to read incompetence from interview nerves as an interviewer is a good skill

yeah i have that skill, that's why im
still regularly confused by people who are just incompetent

of course if you're wrong you'll never know but that's epistemology for you

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

rotor posted:

Ya 100%, I guess I was circling back to why I think something like FizzBuzz is and will always valuable. If you cant answer FizzBuzz competently thats incompetence or nerves that I don't want to deal with. If you can and start hamming up further questions maybe I'll give benefit of the doubt everything else considering.

I guess it must be nice to have an interview process where you can trust that everyone you get has a certain measure of competency, certainly I've been asked it or its equivalence at FAANGs (in the distant past) so I'm not sure who that is but :shrug:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

programmer interviews are bad, especially on the low end, because its a lucrative field without any real accreditation body or process. So its flooded, especially at the low end, with people trying to fake it until they make it.

edit: and i mean god bless those people, i wish them the best of luck, but if you cant do a fizzbuzz you aren't doing a good enough job of faking it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

because its a lucrative field without any real accreditation body or process. So its flooded, especially at the low end, with people trying to fake it until they make it.

isn't that every generic corporate job tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
generic corp jobs dont pay 400k at the mid-senior level and 120k at the junior level

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

rotor posted:

programmer interviews are bad, especially on the low end, because its a lucrative field without any real accreditation body or process. So its flooded, especially at the low end, with people trying to fake it until they make it.

I actually saw an opinion article in the Journal of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery for those who don’t know— basically IEEE for programmers) suggesting that programming is a profession, like being a lawyer or a doctor, and needs a professional organization and accreditation process. The article made a convincing case.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
imo if software devs want to be called 'engineers' so badly they should have to study, apprentice, and certify like the rest of the engineering professions

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
never forget hillel waynes lil blog series about it cuz i havent

https://www.hillelwayne.com/post/are-we-really-engineers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a lot of this is the same grass-is-greener crap that leads everyone in every country to say that other countries are better at everything