Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Imagine how much more expensive it would’ve been before containerization/shipping automation.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Cheaper option. Who knows about the quality though.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=fTJU3eC8hPK5

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Who the gently caress is Frunk Sbtoka?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Never realised that spiros says "my name is not my name" compared to marlo yelling in a holding that his name is his name.

Two players playing different games

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Never realised that spiros says "my name is not my name" compared to marlo yelling in a holding that his name is his name.

Huh. I'd not linked those two lines before.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Angryhead posted:

Has anyone checked out this book?
The Wire: The Complete Visual History by D. Watkins.

I want. Bad time to find out about this during a rewatch of the show. drat expensive though.

ilmucche posted:

Ah, I finally understand the part where Marlo said "I am 100% ethnically Greek"

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I did a rewatch of this in January and it's still my favorite show of all time. Right around the time I was finishing it, they released a 20th anniversary podcast on Spotify and i've been learning a lot of things I had no idea about. There are moments where i'm listening and I just say "no poo poo". One of the biggest ones was that McNulty was originally written as an over-the-hill, fat, alcoholic and not a younger, handsome alcoholic. They originally wanted to go after John C. Reilly for the part. Also, Templeton (Tom McCarthy) is actually a very successful writer, director and producer, not just a piece of poo poo hack in season 5. Maybe other people knew that, but I had no idea and I've watched the entire series 10+ times, easily.

But I won't say anything else from the podcast in case anyone wants to listen to it themselves. It's pretty good. Lots of behind the scenes stuff.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
These are for you, Dewy Cox.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i do kind of like the idea of ugly mcnulty, but him being handsome puts it more on the viewer to notice how big of a piece of poo poo he is on the inside, so i think it works

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If he were ugly maybe he wouldn't be so outnumbered.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
thank god for dominic west, some of his facial expressions absolutely hit it out of the park

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

teen phone cutie posted:

thank god for dominic west, some of his facial expressions absolutely hit it out of the park

Things like this being posted always call for this clip to be posted in response:

https://youtu.be/vn0ylNZhOJI

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

i mean yeah that scene was top of mind when i posted that lol

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Dominic West is a treasure but I would kill to peep into the alternate universe where we got John C. McNulty (presumably West stars in Chicago).

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

"can't believe they're sending me back to the broat. best way to get ready to go on a broat is eat a looooooot of shrimp from the drumpster out back"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Calling the FBI a bunch of hunks

knox
Oct 28, 2004

How many of you have watched Homicide: Life on the Street? Based off David Simon's first book while he was 'embedded' with the Baltimore homicide police throughout 1988, I was kind of shocked when I started watching it recently, how incredible it is and wondering why I had not seen it yet or seen more discussion about it. It isn't available for streaming even though it should be on Peacock as former primetime NBC show so that is likely why it hasn't been seen and had some sort of Columbo-like resurgence like some other series have had.

But the show's amazing cast of actors, SVU Det. John Munch origin story (large part of what piqued my interest to watch/find it- I remember vaguely learning at some point he has played a Det. Munch previously, was reminded about it while watching SVU so I looked into the show), amazing team with Simon first approaching Barry Levinson who brought it to Paul Attanasio/Tom Fontana (Oz). Learning the Oz creator worked on it made the vibe of the show make a lot more sense; it's incredibly intense in certain scenes, with this improvisational sort of thing going on. I'm only into early S2 (out of 7) and I guess it has double the episodes of The Wire. Not saying Homicide is better, a lot of why I love The Wire is the authenticity of the street crime aspect which isn't in Homicide, but the fact this show isn't getting more love based on how beloved The Wire is and it's David Simon's first involvement with TV, it really should be streaming on NBC so it can be 're-discovered' by the masses.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve wanted to watch that for years and have never been able to find it.

That ‘88 David Simon book is *awesome*

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It was an amazing show until NBC actually noticed that it existed, and promptly went to work excising the less attractive cast members and bringing in younger actors as well as dumbing down the writing. It was still pretty good the last couple of seasons but definitely wasn't what it had been before.

To be fair, one of the new actors was Giancarlo Esposito, who was probably the best of the new crew by far.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
And yes, it's a crime that it's never been made available for streaming.

A veritable murderers row of a cast, too.

Andre Braugher!
Melissa Leo!
Ned Beatty!
Jon Polito!
Richard Belzer!
Yaphet Kotto!
Michelle Forbes (briefly)!
Hell, even Daniel Baldwin had his moments.
Kyle Secor and Clark Johnson were great in their respective roles but unfortunately haven't really shined in other things I've seen them in. Reed Diamond is generally good at playing a smarmy bastard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrMojok posted:

I’ve wanted to watch that for years and have never been able to find it.

That ‘88 David Simon book is *awesome*

It really is an amazing read, and seeing those elements that went into The Wire (though of course The Corner was the biggest source of inspiration) is pretty interesting too.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I recommend reading Clockers by Richard Price if anyone hasn’t. He has such an amazing ear for dialogue, it’s clear that he played a massive role in writing the wire.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, Clockers is great too! I can't see or hear "Yoo-Hoo" without immediately thinking of it (probably the company wouldn't be happy to hear that!).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

knox posted:

But the show's amazing cast of actors, SVU Det. John Munch origin story (large part of what piqued my interest to watch/find it- I remember vaguely learning at some point he has played a Det. Munch previously, was reminded about it while watching SVU so I looked into the show),

He's even in arrested development!

It's a good show, it's just held back now and then by the constraints of the network (thinking about the tense scene where a detective calls his captain a "butthead"); I'm glad Simon was able to graduate to HBO to make the stuff he really wanted to do.

And yeah, nthing the recommendation for the book, it's excellent and you can see where a lot of the DNA for the Wire's cop scenes came from.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
'Three Men And Adena' is one of the best hours of TV ever filmed

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cacator posted:

Ah, I finally understand the part where Marlo said "I am 100% ethnically Greek"

Lmao

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ShowTime posted:

I did a rewatch of this in January and it's still my favorite show of all time. Right around the time I was finishing it, they released a 20th anniversary podcast on Spotify and i've been learning a lot of things I had no idea about. There are moments where i'm listening and I just say "no poo poo". One of the biggest ones was that McNulty was originally written as an over-the-hill, fat, alcoholic and not a younger, handsome alcoholic. They originally wanted to go after John C. Reilly for the part. Also, Templeton (Tom McCarthy) is actually a very successful writer, director and producer, not just a piece of poo poo hack in season 5. Maybe other people knew that, but I had no idea and I've watched the entire series 10+ times, easily.

But I won't say anything else from the podcast in case anyone wants to listen to it themselves. It's pretty good. Lots of behind the scenes stuff.

Ray Winstone was also seriously considered for the part but he bowed out after 9/11 because he didn't want to fly to and from the US so many times.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

(thinking about the tense scene where a detective calls his captain a "butthead")

That whole thing made it really hard to take Homicide seriously.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Rewatched s5e1 yesterday, when they're using the photocopier as a lie detector (which originates in Homicide, the book and was on that show too) and Bunk says to Landsman completely straight faced "Are you ready, professor?" I burst out laughing.

Also I feel split on who's the biggest villain of the series, Scott Templeton or Namond's mom?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
How is it not Marlo?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Marlo doesn't trigger instant hatred and revulsion whenever he's onscreen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cacator posted:

Rewatched s5e1 yesterday, when they're using the photocopier as a lie detector (which originates in Homicide, the book and was on that show too) and Bunk says to Landsman completely straight faced "Are you ready, professor?" I burst out laughing.

Also I feel split on who's the biggest villain of the series, Scott Templeton or Namond's mom?

The snitch, Wallace.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
By that metric it has to be Officer Walker

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Colicchio is up there too. And that dude who keeps robbing Bubbles in S4.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
How is it not Clay Davis?

I think you gotta think about what they are trying to show case, which is how absolutely corrupt each system is, how almost everyone is out for themselves and how they do a disservice to the community they are either trying to represent or assist. In that case, Clay Davis is an absolutely corrupt mother fucker, with absolutely 0 redeemable qualities or actions.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You guys didn't see this dude lurking in the background every episode?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

ShowTime posted:

How is it not Clay Davis?

I think you gotta think about what they are trying to show case, which is how absolutely corrupt each system is, how almost everyone is out for themselves and how they do a disservice to the community they are either trying to represent or assist. In that case, Clay Davis is an absolutely corrupt mother fucker, with absolutely 0 redeemable qualities or actions.

Counterpoint: Sheeeee-ittt

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Counterpoint: Sheeeee-ittt

yeah his dialog is too funny to be the ultra villain of the series

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The Greek then. He runs the entire drug trade, making money off everyone, barely takes care of anyone. Even "Boris" has to rely on Barksdale in prison. He transports and trades women, weapon, drugs, whatever. When one of his main boys dies, all he does is take out whatever info and witnesses were involved. As soon as Prop Joe dies, Marlo is in. When Marlo sells out, the co-op is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cacator posted:

Marlo doesn't trigger instant hatred and revulsion whenever he's onscreen.

Not even after Devonne?

ShowTime posted:

The Greek then. He runs the entire drug trade, making money off everyone, barely takes care of anyone. Even "Boris" has to rely on Barksdale in prison. He transports and trades women, weapon, drugs, whatever. When one of his main boys dies, all he does is take out whatever info and witnesses were involved.
And he's not even greek!