Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

a macbook with a numpad. AI is smarter than you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
https://twitter.com/soychotic/status/1622624342688268288

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol lemme take a picachu, codebade

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

been there

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I would have a blast at a job like that, it's like silent Hill or Myst or something but in job form

and I've got to assume the one dev would be fairly privileged since there's literally no better alternative than just letting them do whatever they wanted

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
at the same time they will get all the blame for everything that was ever wrong with the entire codebase

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh no way, work loves a good scapegoat and they've got like eight of em on deck, it's perfect

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah my next job, if i have a next job, will be somewhere where i find some non-tech centered company that needs a guy like me to do what needs to be done. Being the only programmer seems like a good gig.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

yeah my next job, if i have a next job, will be somewhere where i find some non-tech centered company that needs a guy like me to do what needs to be done. Being the only programmer seems like a good gig.

I don’t think I could handle working for Elon though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

Ya being able to work on your own little walled garden as a senior rules. No one to know or care what you're up to, just the computer wizard

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Corla Plankun posted:

I would have a blast at a job like that, it's like silent Hill or Myst or something but in job form

and I've got to assume the one dev would be fairly privileged since there's literally no better alternative than just letting them do whatever they wanted

my first dev job i was 22 years old and actually hired on as a "marketing assistant," doing spreadsheets and some design and just generally being an office grunt. because i knew a little bit of HTML, i was also going to be trained to help the "website guy" with day-to-day things. about a month into my job, that guy got fired, and so i became the "website guy," and inherited a horrible e-commerce platform that was so mangled that it couldn't be upgraded to a new version, along with a custom php app. this was a company that was doing millions of dollars in sales nationally, and they expected me to handle this poo poo.

it loving sucked. i was given a lot of leeway in terms of being able to hire consultants to fix the poo poo i couldn't, but most of the time i was trying to figure out badly written php and the impossible beesnest of proprietary ecommerce software templating. i had never even heard of version control, so every update happened in production. i mean maybe if i knew how to code it would have been a better job.

anyway that was my intro to programming and decades later it's still my only marketable skill

haveblue posted:

at the same time they will get all the blame for everything that was ever wrong with the entire codebase

this was a problem

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Yea I sometimes fantasize about being the only IT-knowledgeable guy in a public sector office but that dream was only realistic for a brief period until everyone born before computers entered the workspace retired. Now those small places that only have one person in that kind of role expect full services on every level from running cables to frontend dev.

Instead I survive by knowing a lot about goddamn excel and a little bit about most other things, hiding in the bureaucracy of a huge data-centered government agency.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

everyone born before computers entered the workspace retired
what country is this? i want to go there

my wife had to help a coworker troubleshoot "i plugged the monitor into itself and its not showing my laptop" a couple weeks ago

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my favorite job ever was to be The Programmer for academic researchers. you're a wizard, everyone is chill, you work in an environment where everyone is learning things all the time, you get to go to conferences and get your name on papers

it's not a great beginning-of-career position (the pay isn't great and you aren't learning things that get you future great pay) but i'd love to return to it as an end-of-career position

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/i/status/1623366187655606272

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lol nice

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Corla Plankun posted:

what country is this? i want to go there

my wife had to help a coworker troubleshoot "i plugged the monitor into itself and its not showing my laptop" a couple weeks ago

Denmark, but we started digitizing public sector stuff super early so it's not as impressive as it sounds.

I realize now I meant to write "everyone who started working before computers entered the workspace" which shaves a few decades off...

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/NITE_JP/status/1623199954545299456

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

raminasi posted:

my favorite job ever was to be The Programmer for academic researchers. you're a wizard, everyone is chill, you work in an environment where everyone is learning things all the time, you get to go to conferences and get your name on papers

it's not a great beginning-of-career position (the pay isn't great and you aren't learning things that get you future great pay) but i'd love to return to it as an end-of-career position

that was my first job and it was pretty fun. the pay was bad but i had no meaningful supervision, lots of time out of the office, and i learned a lot. now I'm the academic and i wish i had a programmer to write my code for me

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TechBurritoUno/status/1623399682612289538?t=stREqv0lK4Ukd86f_k0ZtQ&s=19

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bradneuberg/status/1623845162408611841

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hell yeah I used to love blindly typing in basic programs I didn’t understand.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

tk posted:

Hell yeah I used to love blindly typing in basic programs I didn’t understand.

I remember some that turned out to have (simple) bugs in them. I always wondered if it was on purpose to force you to try and understand them. I remember one that was missing a print to clear out a moving "sprite" made of characters so you had to understand the program enough to figure where to add the missing print and at which screen position

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/annearchet/status/1623201592273997826

Capturing this one in image format for posterity:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the french speaking world needs to know English

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

they know the english and i hear, historically, they're not fans

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
english is the new lingua franca anyway

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/wongmjane/status/1623509916848914432

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/chmonke/status/1623937400748797953

:hmmyes:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

words to live by, really. I'm the only one who matters, everyone else is a simulation.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

i'd go a step further and say that regex is not a tool that can parse anything at all. well at least not in any manner that is remotely supportable.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The joke in that one doesn't come through because embeds don't embed long-form tweets. Click through for the whole thing.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
regex being garbage is less a joke and more a harsh reality

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't like that tweets can be long now

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i'd go a step further and say that regex is not a tool that can parse anything at all. well at least not in any manner that is remotely supportable.

we've got an email regex in our application and it's definitely not the *actual* email regex so i'm gonna lol if someone comes in with a valid email that trips it up

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/cultstartup/status/1179230278360940544

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

parsing html with regex is fine. it’s fun, even

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I mean you can lex HTML with regexes, probably.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

can’t really go about scraping without some tangle of regex. everything is ‘normal enough’ in that it conforms to a set of rules which can be mapped out. good enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/HakitaDev/status/1624345981792706560