Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

quiggy posted:

I've been playing WHM exclusively for the MSQ since like level 35 or so and I'm currently deep in the Shadowbringers patch content and have had very little friction from playing the story as a healer. Play the jobs you find interesting and fun, they're all viable.

I guess something I was getting at that I didn't actually ask was, what kind of weapons and skills do healers have for dealing damage? I'm so used to regular JRPGs where healers are just rod wielding cure bots that my tiny brain can't even imagine a different situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Paperhouse posted:

I guess something I was getting at that I didn't actually ask was, what kind of weapons and skills do healers have for dealing damage? I'm so used to regular JRPGs where healers are just rod wielding cure bots that my tiny brain can't even imagine a different situation

It's different for each of the Healer classes but WHM is the simplest: you get a single-target damage spell, a single-target damage-over-time spell, and an AOE with a stun effect attached. At higher levels WHM also gets a spell called Afflatus Misery that's one of the highest damage spells in the game, although you can cast it at most once per minute and requires a little setup. It's definitely not the most interesting kit in the game for solo play, but it's still engaging enough when doing like single player boss fights and whatnot, especially when you figure you'll still have to heal yourself and cast buffs and debuffs and such.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

All healers get a standard single target damage spell, an AoE damage spell, a damage over time spell and at least one additional damage ability. They aren't exactly the most interesting damage kits, but fighting stuff outside of group content is a very small portion of the game. If you enjoy playing healers in group content, you will have no problem going through the MSQ as a healer.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its a lot more enjoyable in practice as you have to weave your healing around your damage (and vice versa). This is the rare game where healers are expected to put in a measurable amount of dps in higher level content.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also there's assize which is technically a heal, but it does nice damage. So I always push it on cooldown because WHM is stacked with so many other healing spells it's a waste to not push the dmg/heal button when you have the chance.

Generally, every healer has a single target, an aoe, and a dot in their damage kit though, with some slight variances on their AOEs (WHM's has a cast time +stun, SCH is instant point blank, AST can cast theirs from a distance, SGE's are tied to their kardia). Any additional dmg skills are unique to them.

So as stated, White mage has Assize which is their combo Heal DMG OGCD and afflatus misery, which is tied to their lily mechanics.

Sages have Phlegma for movement/weaving, Toxikon which is essentially a DPS refund for casting a GCD shield on someone and it breaking, and Pneuma as their big capstone laser cannon that also happens to heal. Also bear in mind that whoever they have kardia'd would be getting healed regardless from every GCD button pushed.

ASTs and SCHs end up having less direct damage spells in favor of having dmg-raising party buffs, though AST still has Earthly Star which is their big delayed heal/dmg explosion. They can also occasionally throw out minor cards that do direct dmg.

SCHs have Ruin II which is mostly just for movement and weaving OGCDs, and Energy Drain which is more for spending charges so you're not wasting them when recharging them. That said, SCH is similar to Sage in that they're always constantly passively healing through their fairy, and they have a large chunk of OGCD heal spells so an adept SCH would be pushing their dmg spell + and weave Excog/Lustrate together with it (or energy drain when no one's dying).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Paperhouse posted:

Your weapons are not going to be doing much in the way of damage and you're usually not in melee where you can bonk things, but they do affect your stats. Conjurer/White Mage has the typical stick (Early on you have the choice between two-handed staff or wand and shield, they deprecated the wands after A Realm Reborn, it's all staves from Heavensward on), Arcanist/Scholar carries a book, Astrologian has a portable orrery (known as a star globe or planisphere) and floating Tarot cards that they deal paper cuts with, and Sage has tiny flying laser guns.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That touches on an important note - Weapon Damage is literally the most important stat you can have. Outside the obvious like physical attacks, weapon damage affects spell damage and healing effectiveness.

There are a lot of healers that neglect their weapon because they don't think they need it, but it's the most important piece of gear you have. It's not like other games where a weapon is a mediocre stat stick for casters.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That touches on an important note - Weapon Damage is literally the most important stat you can have. Outside the obvious like physical attacks, weapon damage affects spell damage and healing effectiveness.

There are a lot of healers that neglect their weapon because they don't think they need it, but it's the most important piece of gear you have. It's not like other games where a weapon is a mediocre stat stick for casters.

That does answer a question I'd mostly answered for myself already, how effective I could be as a WHM if I stuck to wand and shield. The most powerful wand available is from an EX primal, so effectiveness would seriously fall off even two dungeons into HW, and beyond that people would start yelling.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dareon posted:

That does answer a question I'd mostly answered for myself already, how effective I could be as a WHM if I stuck to wand and shield. The most powerful wand available is from an EX primal, so effectiveness would seriously fall off even two dungeons into HW, and beyond that people would start yelling.
You'd also reach a point where most shields are locked to GLA and PLD, so you wouldn't even be able to use that as a justification for using an old wand. Which is kinda sad. They still keep around the Weapon/Shield system for glam purposes, it'd be nice if we at least got some new caster glam shields/wands.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dareon posted:

There is one completely optional lategame exception for an extremely minor gain in defense:

Bojza

Because Bojza syncs gear to set stats, BLM and WHM can walk in with wand and shield and get a minor improvement over people using the weapons you would actually expect at that level by being able to block.

This is incredibly not important or necessary.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah caster shields past ARR is just an artifact of the old system, along with those annoying chest pieces with hoods that also lock your head slot. (Looking at you, Eureka gear)

It would be cool for them to revisit that but I doubt they will.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah caster shields past ARR is just an artifact of the old system, along with those annoying chest pieces with hoods that also lock your head slot. (Looking at you, Eureka gear)

It would be cool for them to revisit that but I doubt they will.

You're not a tank main until you've donned the trashcan.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

You're not a tank main until you've donned the trashcan.

The trashcan gets rid of both my lizard’s horns and my bnnuy’s ears, so I refuse. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

hopeandjoy posted:

The trashcan gets rid of both my lizard’s horns and my bnnuy’s ears, so I refuse. :colbert:
The trashcan removes all head and neck movement from your animations, which makes certain emotes extremely hilarious.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The trashcan is quite possibly the ugliest piece of equipment in all of ARR, which given the very intense competition for that title is impressive.

e: my migraine-addled brain just now parsed that we might be talking about different items but I stand by my statement and initial read of what item it was if I'm wrong

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 8, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Like Clockwork posted:

The trashcan is quite possibly the ugliest piece of equipment in all of ARR, which given the very intense competition for that title is impressive.

e: my migraine-addled brain just now parsed that we might be talking about different items but I stand by my statement and initial read of what item it was if I'm wrong

:wrong:

The ugliest is the trashcan with horns

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Wait, the trashcan isn't the altered high mythril armor is it?

I liked wearing that with the Bunny Tights, it was...impractical.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I fondly remember it as the Darklight set, the very first set available for tomes in 2.0.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The trashcan is an incredible glam for lalafell tanks

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

wait can someone post the trashcan armor piece? I'm not sure what you guys are talking about (I didn't mess around with tanking until I could unlock DRK)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

wait can someone post the trashcan armor piece? I'm not sure what you guys are talking about (I didn't mess around with tanking until I could unlock DRK)

Behold:

There are several sets that share some variation of this model, but they all have the same problem: the helmet is part of the chestpiece, and cannot move independently of it. This can lead to some hilariously cursed results with certain poses.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

beautiful, time to drop everything and get this set!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

beautiful, time to drop everything and get this set!

I recommend one of the ones without horns, for maximum garbage can. I think one of them can be dyed?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

back when shadowbringers first came out they didn't modify the sets for the new races and their heads were just clipping through the helmets

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mainwaring posted:

There's at least one scholar job quest where you fail if you don't esuna a debuff on an ally which is some real bullshit.
Something I've been doing and I highly recommend getting in the habit of when playing healer is setting either the NPC in the solo instance or your Tank in a dungeon as Focus Target: it will provide a separate and larger healthbar that can also be clicked on to instantly target them. It also adds a targeting arrow over the focused target so it's easier to keep track of where exactly the tank is when the screen is filled with mobs during a wall-to-wall pull.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

radintorov posted:

Something I've been doing and I highly recommend getting in the habit of when playing healer is setting either the NPC in the solo instance or your Tank in a dungeon as Focus Target: it will provide a separate and larger healthbar that can also be clicked on to instantly target them. It also adds a targeting arrow over the focused target so it's easier to keep track of where exactly the tank is when the screen is filled with mobs during a wall-to-wall pull.

If you're playing with a keyboard, you can also bind a key to instantly switch to your focus target, which I find quite useful when playing healer.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

radintorov posted:

I combine this with macroing all my ST targeted heals to go either to <f> (the focus target) or <TT> (target's target). This makes healing on controller possible.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The trashcan was peak tank armor design and I'll hear no argument against it. It's one of the things that immediately cemented me to FFXIV.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

The trashcan removes all head and neck movement from your animations, which makes certain emotes extremely hilarious.

https://twitter.com/lykkedibeppo/status/1623109662936817664?s=46&t=gDC8VHpG44G6uAv0lAkEOw

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Lol, did you add those clunky armor noises or did it have those all along and I just forgot?

Really wishing I had not made distinct and cool glams for all four tank classes, because now I really want to bring back the trashcan

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
One of my retainers actually brought back a glowing trashcan one time, but even as my only piece of glowing armor, I still couldn't bring myself to use it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Selachian posted:

If you're playing with a keyboard, you can also bind a key to instantly switch to your focus target, which I find quite useful when playing healer.

I need to remember to focus target that the tank when playing SMN so I don't waste my big Phoenix heal on myself.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

GilliamYaeger posted:

I combine this with macroing all my ST targeted heals to go either to <f> (the focus target) or <TT> (target's target). This makes healing on controller possible.
Just wanna say that combat macros almost always suck because you cannot clip/precast them and is noticeably worse on poor latency!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

PancakeTransmission posted:

Just wanna say that combat macros almost always suck because you cannot clip/precast them and is noticeably worse on poor latency!

This. Also sometimes you need to heal not the tank!

That said if you're just healing dungeons I guess it doesn't matter that much.

I'm a controller player and personally have not had too much trouble just rapidly D-pad down-ing but I agree its awkward if you also need to move. Then again, I'm a BLM main so I'm used to planting my feet.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

One of my retainers actually brought back a glowing trashcan one time, but even as my only piece of glowing armor, I still couldn't bring myself to use it.

Oh poo poo, there's a glowing trash can?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yeah, macros are bad most of the time, but I'll accept a bit of inefficiency so I can play the classes at all.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

macro SMN Rekindle doesn't cause any trouble at least and you get to feel like you're helping

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Unless you're doing current-tier Savage raids, the convenience of combat macros far exceeds any efficiency loss. Especially for classes with 20 instants like Bard, Mech, and Drg; just toss them all on a macro and weave with a single button.

Of course, some classes don't gain as much from macros. RDM, BLM, Sam, and Nin being the obvious ones.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Offkorn posted:

Unless you're doing current-tier Savage raids, the convenience of combat macros far exceeds any efficiency loss. Especially for classes with 20 instants like Bard, Mech, and Drg; just toss them all on a macro and weave with a single button.

Don't give bad advice, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

brb macro-ing my wildfire burst