Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

nvrgrls posted:

I'm actually having a call with our lawyers tomorrow to discuss this very issue. Right now we keep mailboxes indefinitely (as shared mailboxes) and it drives me crazy.

This is definitely an area where you want Legal to lead. Certain industries have special rules around data retention. The most common I'm familiar with is 7 years, but certain laws allow shorter or require longer retention policies. For example, some areas of civil engineering required 50 years (!) of certain information to be retained.

On the other side, retaining information longer than legally required can be a liability. If you don't have a policy that's backed up by technological measures, courts and opposing council can drag you behind the woodshed to pull data that should have been deleted.

Usual caveats: I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice. Consult your legal team. If you don't have a good relationship with them, commit to fixing that ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

For sure I want the lawyers to lead, that's why I'm talking to them!!! Right now we have no digital records retention policy which means we're saving everything. I think nobody asked them and they probably will have strong feelings about the whole deal, hopefully ones aligned with mine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've worked with many, many attorneys on this issue before and literally 100% of them have been of the opinion that you should only save what you are contractually obligated to or required by law. So I'd say you're on the right track!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Iirc some retailer got hit for retaining gently caress all, despite retail not really being a heavily regulated industry unlike law/finance/gvt/healthcare.

I'm of the mind to delete delete delete but you'll want to be sure legal knows how to leverage lit holds and the like.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Scanning over RDP. From what I'm seeing it's not directly possible with the current RDP set up. Am I missing anything? This will be from a Win10 pro PC to Server 2012 (soon to be upgraded to 2016). I'm looking into other options (like scanning to a shared folder to then import/upload into the program).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's this, which needs pairing with specific scanner models

https://www.quest.com/products/remotescan/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Scanning over RDP. From what I'm seeing it's not directly possible with the current RDP set up. Am I missing anything? This will be from a Win10 pro PC to Server 2012 (soon to be upgraded to 2016). I'm looking into other options (like scanning to a shared folder to then import/upload into the program).

Do you allow access to local drive from RDP? If so that’s a checkbox-easy solution

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

nvrgrls posted:

For sure I want the lawyers to lead, that's why I'm talking to them!!! Right now we have no digital records retention policy which means we're saving everything. I think nobody asked them and they probably will have strong feelings about the whole deal, hopefully ones aligned with mine.

Sorry, for clarity I was encouraging your path, not trying to correct you.

Good luck. You've got a long road ahead of you.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

nvrgrls posted:

Do you allow access to local drive from RDP? If so that’s a checkbox-easy solution

Yeah that won't work. The program accesses the scanner directly, which needs third party software.

Thanks Ants posted:

There's this, which needs pairing with specific scanner models

https://www.quest.com/products/remotescan/

Found out they actually have some licenses for this, so we're going to get the installer and get it functioning with that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone got experience with IBM 3592 tape drives, specifically Type D cartridges. I need schooling.

A project came out of nowhere, and now it appears half a petabyte of data on a tape format I have never even heard of before arrives. Like, this afternoon.

Can one just buy a tape drive and expect it to talk to a x86_64 Linux box, or do I need to budget half a million bucks for an IBM mainframe?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably you'd need to know what format the stuff on the tapes was in, and aren't they usually encrypted?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

And hardware to support whatever interface tape drives use these days. I have no idea what that is, it's been a lot of years.

Albinator fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 11, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SAS I think, the 8088 connector. Or fibre channel.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks.

If encrypted, I would have the key.

I see that it’s a lot like LTO-7 which I’m more familiar with.

The most likely outcome is that we’ll have some shop transfer the data to disk for us. It’s not feasible to invest in hardware just for this.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Today is Monday. How do I know this? Because I show up to a giant dumpster fire because someone committed two 27GB files.

Yes we should have had a pre-commit hook. Yes, we have that now.

Edit: we hired an external company to handle the weird ibm tapes thank gently caress.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
27GB isnt THAT much. Was it an Outlook PST/OST file?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It was some binary input data, no outlook here, thank jebus.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As the loving moron in the title, I don't know some basic stuff, like anything about raids. I know I can't just buy an HD and shove it in my server and have it work. And this isn't critical because we will likely need a new server before long before we fill up our disk since we're only half way there and in year four of our lifecycle this summer. But I asked about adding disks in the future when we got the server since we had so many bays open and the consultant was like "uhh yeah very difficult."

But it seems like it actually would not be that hard: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...%20More%20items

is there some pitfall I'm missing?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You can add disks to raid 5, as that walkthrough shows. If you have a pair of disks in raid 1, you can't add any more.

The pitfall that you're missing is that there are different kinds of raid and you can only extend some of them.

You can probably get a pair of new disks in raid 1 and present that to the OS as a new volume if you need more space, though.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 10, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

depends on the controller, but it's pretty trivial to add new volumes and you can either migrate your data or just start using it as a new volume

or if you really hate your liver, extend the existing volume into the new one

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: Just want to say thanks for the previous posts, I thought I replied, definitely read and took that under consideration and decided to leave things alone for now.

Man I hate being so loving stupid at this stuff. Nearly fried my exchange server today. I casually restored an exchange server snapshot for a fairly trivial reason and then first thing that happened was the trust relationship broke so I couldn't log into. Guess who didn't have a local account on the server. So I had to call the consultant that set it up in the first place. While I waited on that ticket I read all these nightmares about restoring exchange servers and how it doesn't work and I'm doomed and like I spent the full day in a panic.

But luckily they were able to pretty easily fix the trust relationship and everything seems fine. It's a hybrid exchange server so it really isn't doing much but hosting some outlook templates so no one but me even noticed.

Rick fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 12, 2023

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
You usually can disconnect it from the network and use the old cached login to sneak in there. :) Is that what they did?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Comfortador posted:

You usually can disconnect it from the network and use the old cached login to sneak in there. :) Is that what they did?

Ha, yep!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
How to manage automatic shutdown of virtual machines that live on an ESX cluster that lives on a set of UPSes?

I have a trio of ESX hosts connected to a TrueNAS filer. These four servers are each powered by a APC UPS (so four UPSes total) and I'd like to (finally) set up the auto shutdown client on each of the virtual machines living on that cluster.

If these were physical hosts it would be easy: each host connected to a given UPS would be a member of the UPS' broadcast domain and would shut down on a signal from that UPS.

But since this is an ESX cluster and the VMs float across member hosts depending on DRS, I cannot set up the same kind of many-to-one relationship with a specific UPS.

How can I set it up so that VMs gracefully shut down on command from a UPS regardless of which host they're on?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There’s a powerchute virtual appliance that figures it all out for you

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Looking for a simple solution…

We have an office of < 10 people and about a year ago we removed all the phones from the office and stopped paying for phone service because we’re hybrid and everyone is just using Teams and Zoom these days.

But, when we cut off phone service, I wasn’t aware that the front door entry system calls an actual phone number to buzz someone in.

As a work around, I got a phone number in Teams and set it to ring to everyone’s devices but the system doesn’t consistently like when they punch “9” to let someone in, so the team is asking for an actual phone again.

I know almost nothing about voice stuff… Is there anyway I can like… get an Ethernet phone, plug it in and have teams like… assign a number to it and have that phone ring from the front call box?

I see that Microsoft has some Ethernet teams phones… will that work? Or am I missing something?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you have any control at all over the entry phone? Could you get the contractor who installed it to put in a suitable indoor unit and then forget about linking it with Teams entirely?

If you're losing DTMF then I'm not 100% convinced moving to a desk phone will fix it, especially if it's intermittent. Does this help with your situation?

https://support.8x8.com/cloud-phone...ng_active_calls

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dexter6 posted:

Looking for a simple solution…

We have an office of < 10 people and about a year ago we removed all the phones from the office and stopped paying for phone service because we’re hybrid and everyone is just using Teams and Zoom these days.

But, when we cut off phone service, I wasn’t aware that the front door entry system calls an actual phone number to buzz someone in.

As a work around, I got a phone number in Teams and set it to ring to everyone’s devices but the system doesn’t consistently like when they punch “9” to let someone in, so the team is asking for an actual phone again.

I know almost nothing about voice stuff… Is there anyway I can like… get an Ethernet phone, plug it in and have teams like… assign a number to it and have that phone ring from the front call box?

I see that Microsoft has some Ethernet teams phones… will that work? Or am I missing something?

Physical teams phone should work fine for this and seems like a pretty cheap/easy lift, but as Thanks Ants pointed it's not super clear that fixes your problem without some testing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Having thought about this some more, unless you can get a phone that you can tell to do in-band DTMF (not aware of any way of telling a Teams phone to do this) then you are at the mercy of whoever provides the phone service realising that you're calling an analogue device and making the signalling in-band for you.

Is your phone number from Microsoft or another provider?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Thanks for the replies.

Yes its a Microsoft phone number - we canceled our landline service and I ported them all into Microsoft to hold on to them.

I still have to get on the phone with our team to figure out what the issue is, for instance are they answering using the teams app on their phone or computer? Which dial pad are they using? Does it work some times and if so when?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buy a new number from MS that is nothing to do with your old numbers, call this from an analogue phone and see if you can send DTMF through it. I've been told by providers in the past that DTMF can get broken with ported numbers.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Does it have to be an actual phone call? We use aiphone ix that is apparently sip compatible but we use it independent of our phone system entirely (afaik).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm guessing the entry phone is a 20 year old thing on a shared entrance hooked up to an AT&T copper service with a phone number programmed for each tenant.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Maybe they can play the dtmf code for 9 through their mic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSGqYyXBro

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Before we shut the building down due to covid the consistent problem I had was that the box that converted our digital signal into an analog signal to make the door buzzer work died all the time. Getting calls at 3:00 AM to support a door once a week was not something I expected when i took the job. But I did eventually train all the night staff how to self-service it since it usually involved just resetting the digital to analog box.

Anyway the point is if it's an ancient analog device you can convert the digital signal.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

There’s a powerchute virtual appliance that figures it all out for you

Found it. It’s awesome!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looking for a new switch, 24 1Gb copper ports and 4 10Gb SFP+.

Those start at under USD200 these days. :stare:

Fanless, managed, rackmountable...

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Small shop on free tier cloud flare. If I buy the paid version today, can I go back in time to see my historical visitor data?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Not sure where to ask this so I'm just going try here as I work for a small shop (only IT person). We have a 1Gb fiber connection from the enterprise division of our ISP. Over the last month our bandwidth would drop significantly at random times. I called enterprise support and they keep saying everything is fine and refused to send out a tech to check. I finally called our account manager and a tech was dispatched. They did their tests and it shows they're getting full speeds (980Mbps). But you try to load anything on our end and it's super slow. Speed tests are showing as low as 100Mbps down/up at some times. They ended up replacing the edge router (it's an ADVA but uncertain the model number) and just said "your problem" and left basically. Our account manager promised to bring this up with engineering but...

I'm not a networking person so a bit out of my depth. The tech called engineering to take a look while he was onsite but the engineer he talked to said everything is fine. The tech did admit to me that something is definitely "not right" but nothing he can do. He replaced the ADVA as I mentioned above, he ran tests from the ADVA to their test point and everything is fine and getting the full 980Mbps. But when I attach ANY of our switches to their edge router, the ADVA, the tests tank and get down to 250Mbps (using his test meter plugged into our switch(es)). Here's the thing, when I disconnect everything from our switches and the tech plugs his test meter into it to run the tests it'll be slow. But if we plug directly into the ADVA unit, he's able to get full speeds. The ISP's utilization charts show we're not using much bandwidth at all either. They can see the spikes in utilization when the tech was running tests. So we changed to a different switch and the same thing happened. So shouldn't be a problem with the switches (?).

As mentioned this happens at random times. Today for example, I'm able to test full 900Mbps down/up in the morning. But this afternoon, I was getting ~300Mbps down and only ~200Mbps up. Now all these tests that I've been doing on my own are just using different speed test sites. So I decided to spin up a VM on our cloud provider and setup iperf3. I connected directly to their ADVA with a laptop and used the following parameters to do the iperf test: iperf3 -c IPADDRESS -u -b 5000m -l 65500

These are the results of the iperf tests:
sender: 807 Mbits/sec, 0 jitter, 0% loss
receiver: 83.8 Mbits/sec, 0.498 ms jitter, 2.5% loss

Again, I'm not a networking person so not sure how else to troubleshoot. The ISP is just saying it's something on our end and that the speed test sites don't mean anything. But loading a video or even webpages at times would take awhile so there's obviously something wrong. Nothing has changed on our end network wise when the problem started. What should I try next? What other troubleshooting sets should I take? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bsaber fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bsaber posted:

Intarnet :waaaah:

I don't have a ton of magic fixes, but could you run a semi-agressive ping towards a trusty host, and demonstrate packet loss over time (let it run over night and/or a weekend.).

Especially if you could graph it, maybe you could correlate it with certain times of day.

On another topic, how do I name my buckets in GCS so future me will hate past me as little as possible?

Edit: Apparently, one can confirm a domain, and then name them shitbucket.example.com. This at least means that noone can squat your bucket names.

bolind fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 11, 2023