Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

I upgrading to 3Gbs ( it was cheaper than staying at 1Gbs) and ebayed some x540’s from china to take advantage of it.

I absolutely know people who have home labs capable of ‘using’ 8gbs, though I doubt it would have any meaning outside a speed test.

Pretty sure the target market is rich people with big families who have a 2 idevices, a tv, and a computer/laptop for every person in the house. They don’t need it, but you can easily get them to buy it.

Especially if their home network is all Wi-Fi. Though I'm not entirely sure how much bandwidth a Wi-Fi 6 router can put out with MU-MIMO and poo poo, even if a single device's link speed might be over 1Gbps. But true, I realize a few people will have 10-GigE equipment in their homes, but I'm guessing the vast majority using this won't.

teethgrinder posted:

Lol ... I've always gotten ~250 Mbps down on TekSavvy Cable, when I pay for a 100 plan. (Sustained, not burst.) But my upload has been consistently 10.0 Mbps for six years or so. It's magically 30 now :iiam:

That's been that way for me for several years. I have 75/10, speed test says 204/31.75. The 30 Gb upload is new though. Used to have 100, but dropped down to save money. Speed hardly changed. Also just noticed that their current 100/10 package costs the same as our grandfathered 75/10. I don't know if we should switch since best case scenario the only change is the name of the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain posted:

Especially if their home network is all Wi-Fi. Though I'm not entirely sure how much bandwidth a Wi-Fi 6 router can put out with MU-MIMO and poo poo, even if a single device's link speed might be over 1Gbps. But true, I realize a few people will have 10-GigE equipment in their homes, but I'm guessing the vast majority using this won't.

If you get 3Gbs or 8Gbs, Bell is going to insist you use their 'Gigahub', which has pretty poor WiFi performance. Unlike earlier, both these speed tiers rely on xgpon, and there is no transplantable SFP module if you want to user another device. PPPoE pass-through works, but you have to ask Bell specifically to enable it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

zergstain posted:

That's been that way for me for several years. I have 75/10, speed test says 204/31.75. The 30 Gb upload is new though. Used to have 100, but dropped down to save money. Speed hardly changed. Also just noticed that their current 100/10 package costs the same as our grandfathered 75/10. I don't know if we should switch since best case scenario the only change is the name of the package.
I figure I'm just not going to do anything that risks screwing it up.

Streamed a game with friends tonight and had zero-latency, essentially confirming my upload is vastly better than it ever has been.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EoRaptor posted:

If you get 3Gbs or 8Gbs, Bell is going to insist you use their 'Gigahub', which has pretty poor WiFi performance. Unlike earlier, both these speed tiers rely on xgpon, and there is no transplantable SFP module if you want to user another device. PPPoE pass-through works, but you have to ask Bell specifically to enable it.

Yeah, I looked at it and it's like $900 in new equipment to make the 3GB service worth using (for me), so I'm just going to stick with 1.5/940 for now.

Having the 940 up has actually been incredibly useful for work, I can't really justify a need to go to 3Gbit though.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

Yeah, I looked at it and it's like $900 in new equipment to make the 3GB service worth using (for me), so I'm just going to stick with 1.5/940 for now.

Having the 940 up has actually been incredibly useful for work, I can't really justify a need to go to 3Gbit though.

1gbit was 120/month for me, but upgrading to 3gbit dropped that to 70 a month promo.

When that promo ends, I’ll probably jump to 8gbit if there is a cheaper promotion. The prices for each tier are pretty close without any discount, so this is going to be the game for a while.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

zergstain posted:

Someone explained it better a while back, but basically if you're getting better than advertised, then don't change anything lol. If you initiate a change in your package, you'll only be able to access whatever the incumbent is selling to the third parties. And that might actually involve an equipment upgrade, depending on what is considered "supported."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

zergstain posted:

I'd love to know who has the infrastructure in their home to take advantage of that.
My house is hardwired with 5e throughout every room, so anything over 1gb is pretty much wasted... and to be honest for my needs (and I suspect 99% of everyone) anywhere remotely close to that is overkill and often can't get near that from the website I'm pulling from anyhow. Speed tests definitely show it though.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

slidebite posted:

My house is hardwired with 5e throughout every room, so anything over 1gb is pretty much wasted... and to be honest for my needs (and I suspect 99% of everyone) anywhere remotely close to that is overkill and often can't get near that from the website I'm pulling from anyhow. Speed tests definitely show it though.

Same. When I helped build my house way back in 2003 I went nuts with 5e in every room except the bathroom. I own a little bungalow so replacing the wiring wouldn't be too difficult, just a little too expensive to justify.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Going from bell fibe 500 to the 1.5gb package at 25$/month cheaper, hell yeah. I only had to argue with bell retentions for 40 minutes to stop trying to bundle poo poo, I only want internet. And then get them to escalate to someone with some kind of authority to authorize the deal for an existing customer, because the advertised deal was only for new clients.

I have nothing with an ethernet port above 1gbps, but hey, less money than I was paying. Looking forward to another hour or so on the phone in 2 years when the credit drops off to fight for whatever the current offer is.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

Too bad the fastest Bell offers where I live is 50/10.

Chris Knight posted:

Someone explained it better a while back, but basically if you're getting better than advertised, then don't change anything lol. If you initiate a change in your package, you'll only be able to access whatever the incumbent is selling to the third parties. And that might actually involve an equipment upgrade, depending on what is considered "supported."

Well, we were getting +200 when we were paying for 100, and kept getting +200 after dropping to 75.

slidebite posted:

I put Cat 6 in in 2018 or so. Runs are short enough that I'm confident that we could get 10Gig without 6A, but the router and switch would need to be replaced, and every computer would need a new NIC. If we ever got gigabit+ service, it might make more sense to get a switch with 5 or 10Gig uplink port, but is otherwise gigabit. I've noticed the DOCSIS 3.1 modems all seem to have two Ethernet ports, so I assume to get full speed I would need a router that supports link bonding or whatever it's called.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

Same. When I helped build my house way back in 2003 I went nuts with 5e in every room except the bathroom. I own a little bungalow so replacing the wiring wouldn't be too difficult, just a little too expensive to justify.

The speed rating is usually for 100m cable length. If your runs are short enough, you can probably get 10gb out of them if the devices on each end are high quality. The 10gb standard also supports 5gb, and there is a 2.5gb standard that should also work just fine with 5e.

I don't think 5e is going to hold you back much.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Virgin plus postal mailed me a $45 12 month 100mbs home internet offer, no contract and with a $100 prepaid Visa card offer.

I am not at all ready for this new faux competitive internet and cellphone plan landscape. Bell is really putting on a fantastic show to signal to the crtc how good things are and how fine it will be for Rogers to ingest Shaw. They’d love to have things down to a nice Mexican standoff where it’s forever and only Rogers bell and Telus each pointing two pistols at the customer, daring and sneering each other to shoot out at 7.95 across the board rate increase. While rog and bell wink at each other in Morse code their plans to each gobble half of Telus but they can’t decide whether to split them lengthwise or horizontally.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

shadow puppet of a posted:

Virgin plus postal mailed me a $45 12 month 100mbs home internet offer, no contract and with a $100 prepaid Visa card offer.

I am not at all ready for this new faux competitive internet and cellphone plan landscape. Bell is really putting on a fantastic show to signal to the crtc how good things are and how fine it will be for Rogers to ingest Shaw. They’d love to have things down to a nice Mexican standoff where it’s forever and only Rogers bell and Telus each pointing two pistols at the customer, daring and sneering each other to shoot out at 7.95 across the board rate increase. While rog and bell wink at each other in Morse code their plans to each gobble half of Telus but they can’t decide whether to split them lengthwise or horizontally.

You need to email this to crtc and cbc marketplace :v:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God it sucks being "the guy" in a small rear end town, and being jaded but not so much so as to just tell people to gently caress off when they need help.

Someone had asked me to set up their new fire stick, so I go there last night. What had happened was, their internet poo poo the bed, and what Bell ended up doing for them was resetting their loving wifi password, whatever that was supposed to do. So then their smart TV wouldn't work for netflix and junk. They spent hours on the phone with them trying to get that resolved and what did they do? Told them the TV and modem weren't compatible. How much of this poo poo does Bell pull every loving day just trying to get people off the phone? Not to mention we only have DSL from Bell here, so I made sure to encourage them as best I could to switch providers this week as they were only pulling about ~5mbps down.

Oh, the fire stick? They bought that when the smart TV stopped working. Its a cheapo set anyway so they are better off with the stick than its built in apps.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice cable internet there Rogers

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

Nice cable internet there Rogers

I'm not sure how much a test from a phone reveals about the underlying connection.

Bell is fine, if you can get it:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We've been having a weird DNS issue with Telus gigabit. We were having random outages where the DNS just wouldn't resolve anything, so I switched the machines over to an open DNS and it was completely resolved. We built new PCs as our Christmas present and were in an online game with a friend when we lost connection to the game, but not Discord. Our friend never lost connection, so we assumed it was something between us and the game, until about 10 minutes later when our computers both came up as "Connected: No Internet" and we realized the DNS had dropped out again and our new computers weren't set to an open DNS. Changed the setting and it's been fine again.

It's been going down randomly for over a year at this point which makes me think it's on our end. Could it be our router?

Since it's completely resolved with an open DNS I don't know if I can be bothered to sit on hold for an hour to get them to send me a new router, but if it seems likely to be hardware on this end it might be worth checking to make sure nothing else is failing...

If I decide to ditch the Telus hardware and buy something myself, is there a recommended router for fiber that I can look at?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tagra posted:

We've been having a weird DNS issue with Telus gigabit. We were having random outages where the DNS just wouldn't resolve anything, so I switched the machines over to an open DNS and it was completely resolved. We built new PCs as our Christmas present and were in an online game with a friend when we lost connection to the game, but not Discord. Our friend never lost connection, so we assumed it was something between us and the game, until about 10 minutes later when our computers both came up as "Connected: No Internet" and we realized the DNS had dropped out again and our new computers weren't set to an open DNS. Changed the setting and it's been fine again.

It's been going down randomly for over a year at this point which makes me think it's on our end. Could it be our router?

Since it's completely resolved with an open DNS I don't know if I can be bothered to sit on hold for an hour to get them to send me a new router, but if it seems likely to be hardware on this end it might be worth checking to make sure nothing else is failing...

If I decide to ditch the Telus hardware and buy something myself, is there a recommended router for fiber that I can look at?

If your local machines are picking up the router's IP for dns when the problem occurs (like it's 192.168.x.x address), then it could be the router screwing up the dns queries. If it's providing the public internet addresses of telus dns servers to your local machines.. something else is probably going on.

I think there is a weird thing related to the "connected: no internet" message you described, where if windows can't resolve anything for some reason it takes down the entire network stack on that machine. I can't remember details just that I saw something like that before. Googling it brings up this crap where the first suggestion is to manually specify dns servers.

Probably worth calling telus.

Any router you buy should let you specify whatever dns servers you want to provide to the local network. I don't know if you'd put the telus router in bridge mode or unplug it or whatever, with bellMTS business fiber here we can unplug their HomeHub router and use our own firewall.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Set your router as the dns, and next time you get the failure, see if a reboot of the router fixes it.

If it does, your router is the problem. I've occasionally had routers that would suck at dns, not sure if it's some slow memory leak or what. You could also see if there's new firmware available, as it could be a known, resolved issue.

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012
Day 5 of my cable being mostly or completely unusable. Rogers has no call, no showed me on three appointment windows now. About to ask Teksavvy if they can reactivate my 25/10 DSL on Bell's garbage old modem while I wait for Rogers to send someone out for real.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Teksavvy was reasonably fine when it works, but if/when something goes sideways or especially need tech help that isn't on their end, they're at the mercy of the infrastructure owner but with the added benefit of going through another middleman that they actively see as competition.

At least this is the way it was a few years ago and I suspect still is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Telus is putting fibre in my area (I see the trucks out and about and new wires going up on poles) but I think my Shaw contract goes until 2024, dammit why did I do a contract :negative:

Just in time for Rogers to take over and make it even shittier

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Metroloop ran fiber to my rural southern Ontario home last year in November. The whole run is done, right up to the side of the house. They still haven't sent anyone out to actually activate it or set it up.

I'm dying here with my 8/1mbps when I know there's a magic wire that can beam me 1/1gbps just sitting right there doing nothing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

priznat posted:

If a company buys out a rival company, do you have grounds to terminate the existing contract if you don't wanto to go with the new carrier? I'm asking this honestly because the last time this happened that I can recall was Bell acquiring MTS and that was awhile back.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Randalor posted:

If a company buys out a rival company, do you have grounds to terminate the existing contract if you don't wanto to go with the new carrier? I'm asking this honestly because the last time this happened that I can recall was Bell acquiring MTS and that was awhile back.

I am interested in this too, I would definitely rip it up if I could and go to telus once they start rolling out fibre. The gently caress you to rogers would just be a bonus.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Once Telus starts making GBS threads up start.ca I'll let you guys know. Been with them for years for more or less the same price and probably have less than optimal price/Gbps but it's worth it not to have to a. Rent a "free" modem and b. Deal with customer service when they inevitably gently caress with the pricing.

Edit. With Rogers loving with Freedom I imagine that I am about to get boned on both cell and internet services soon enough.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 8, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

On Cyber Monday I got my Freedom bill down to $30/mth. I've never paid remotely so little for solid cell service. Not looking forward to any changes :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Apparently Telus offers 2.5 Gbps symmetrical in my area now.

I haven't ever thought "drat my 1 Gbps symmetrical connection is slow" but I guess it's nice to know that if I wanted to go buy an NBASE-T switch with a couple SFP+ ports I could have an even more utterly ridiculous internet connection.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I can get 3Gbps symmetrical here, and I could get 8Gbps a little closer to downtown, through Bell. I looked at what I'd spend upgrading my networking equipment and it just wasn't worth it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

teethgrinder posted:

On Cyber Monday I got my Freedom bill down to $30/mth. I've never paid remotely so little for solid cell service. Not looking forward to any changes :(
How did you do that? I’m still on their $50+tax plan and don’t even use half of it. The service in the subway rules pretty hard and I don’t think I could ever switch off. Given the way I quit Rogers for them and how Fizz turned out, I’m not looking forward to either new owner.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

I can get 3Gbps symmetrical here, and I could get 8Gbps a little closer to downtown, through Bell. I looked at what I'd spend upgrading my networking equipment and it just wasn't worth it.

I got 3Gbps because the deal was cheaper than my 1Gbps. I did splurge and buy some ebay T540-X2's to cobble together a network, but even a 2.5Gbit card would have been fine.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

How did you do that? I’m still on their $50+tax plan and don’t even use half of it. The service in the subway rules pretty hard and I don’t think I could ever switch off. Given the way I quit Rogers for them and how Fizz turned out, I’m not looking forward to either new owner.
Not sure I can help much.

I don't know if they were running a promo, but my coworker just told me to talk to them. I found that their website wouldn't even let me change plans ... all the options just lead to having to chat with customer support. They asked what I was looking for (their current plans were better than mine for the same price) and just offered me a loyalty discount without prompting.

The weirdest thing though is that nothing is lining up when I logged into my profile to check details. It SAYS my plan is 30 GB for $60/mth, but my invoices are clearly $33.90 with tax. Also my usage shows I get 40 GB lol.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Martian Manfucker posted:

Metroloop ran fiber to my rural southern Ontario home last year in November. The whole run is done, right up to the side of the house. They still haven't sent anyone out to actually activate it or set it up.

I'm dying here with my 8/1mbps when I know there's a magic wire that can beam me 1/1gbps just sitting right there doing nothing.

Complaining into the void works. They just called today saying they'll be out here in the next two days to set it up.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

priznat posted:

Telus is putting fibre in my area (I see the trucks out and about and new wires going up on poles) but I think my Shaw contract goes until 2024, dammit why did I do a contract :negative:

In my experience it took a long time before the Telus fibre was lit up and ready to use. I think it was many months, if not a year before they were ready.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Do people have recommendations for a cable modem/router these days? I'm with start.ca. I purchased mine from them about 8 years ago and they seem to disconnect from each other even though they're both functioning fine, so I have to unplug and plug their cable. Probably about time to think about replacing them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tippecanoe posted:

Do people have recommendations for a cable modem/router these days? I'm with start.ca. I purchased mine from them about 8 years ago and they seem to disconnect from each other even though they're both functioning fine, so I have to unplug and plug their cable. Probably about time to think about replacing them.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/three-wi-fi-6-routers-under-100-reviewed/
I bought the Netgear RAX20 based on this comparison article. No complaints.
Smallnetbuilder is where I go for router recs.

Currently $100 on Amazon.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I am trying to get bell to run fiber to my condo (townhouses) and I swear to god it's like pulling teeth trying to convey what I need to the sales people. In like 5 calls I've found one person who understood and gave me the information I needed, but then told me I need to have a representative of the condo corp call. The property manager called, and bounced off the person they got in contact with, who again failed to understand the context.

it's right across the road there is conduit on our side JUST GIVE ME THE drat INTERNET :tizzy:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Evis posted:

In my experience it took a long time before the Telus fibre was lit up and ready to use. I think it was many months, if not a year before they were ready.
This. It'll take a while.

The fibre product is solid though. I never thought my hardwired cat 5e would be what would realistically be what limit my internet speed lol

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

slidebite posted:

This. It'll take a while.

The fibre product is solid though. I never thought my hardwired cat 5e would be what would realistically be what limit my internet speed lol

You can probably run more than 1G on CAT5e if the cable is good enough quality and on short enough distances (25-ish meters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey longshot question:

My mom (lives 6 hours away from me) has a Telus set-top box

A UIW4001 - see attached.

She somehow lost the power adapter for it.

I found out that it is 12V, but no idea on the physical size.

Does anyone know what size the barrel connector is for one of these? I tried doing some searching but not having any luck. She's wanting to find one on Amazon but I would like one to actually fit.

https://www.go2mhz.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/UIW4001_DMS3-DAT-25-355_v1.0_MHz_1-18.pdf

Only registered members can see post attachments!