Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

no, spielberg says "she had better be older than 22" (if their relationship was ten years ago) and lucas says that it's "not interesting" if she was 16 or older.

spielberg is fine, lucas is a creep

https://www.polygon.com/2015/8/3/9089181/indiana-jones-abusive-creep

lol, either i hadn't heard this before or totally forgot about it

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

indiana jones in the opium wars would be fuckin awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppxXs34MavY

poo poo I just rebooted big trouble in little china

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXsBBqPb5YE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

anybody can write good story outlines though. the details are the hard part. making it into a movie script is harder, and making that into a real honest to goodness decent movie is harder still.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what you really want is a good editorial team to do all the hard work while you take all the credit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Achmed Jones posted:

anybody can write good story outlines though. the details are the hard part. making it into a movie script is harder, and making that into a real honest to goodness decent movie is harder still.

true, imo lawrence kasdan doesn't get enough credit for his effort in polishing 80s-era lucas turds lol (he also wrote or co-wrote the empire strikes back, return of the jedi and the force awakens)

re: lucas, the WGA has pretty strict rules about crediting though. if someone has seriously minimal involvement in a production it's still possible to argue for (and win) a "story by" credit, it happens pretty frequently. lucas didn't actually direct or write most of "his" best films

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Lucas always has been and always will be a loving hack.

Star wars blows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idk, it's fine for what it was, a fun space adventure movie. it just has this massively outsize cultural cachet for what it was, a fun space adventure movie.

i have no goddamn idea why people are so slavishly devoted to it as a franchise beyond really effective marketing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
very simple and straightforward story, lucas just reused bits of stories that we already knew, recognizable and not too weird characters, and yeah, good marketing

mystes
May 31, 2006

it probably had a pretty big impact on special effects and what types of movies got made after it at least

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the effects probably seemed groundbreaking to anyone that hadn't seen 2001 before

or maybe even if they had, they are more elaborate looking in star wars because it's an action film. there's a lot to like about it if you don't think about it too deeply, but because of that it's also a bit baffling to me that there's a massive fan base still. i loved that poo poo when i was a kid, but today it's just kinda there. i'm not a massive fan but it's not like, offensive to me either

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
we rightly make fun of poo poo like the character names, but the world building in the original trilogy is genuinely impressive. you really do feel like you’re watching an adventure set in a sprawling, familiar and yet alien universe full of people living out their own stories. and they’re fun movies, and there’s a cohesive narrative over the trilogy. and yeah, a lot of the effects were very good, especially the alien puppetry

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

rotor posted:

still not sure what was so wrong with the kythera mechanism

there's an island off the coast of mainland Greece called Kythera, then there's another island on the opposite side, so the lazy Greeks just called it opposite Kythera - Antikythera.

mystes
May 31, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

there's an island off the coast of mainland Greece called Kythera, then there's another island on the opposite side, so the lazy Greeks just called it opposite Kythera - Antikythera.
Oh this is the real explanation?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

drat

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wait until you hear about Bizarrokythera.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
there's also the cytherea mechanism, but you can look her up on your own time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just finished Hummingbird Salamander. interesting thriller, has some climate change doomerism that got to me but I enjoyed how the central mystery unfolded and connected together.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Star Wars also has ridiculously good editing.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

very simple and straightforward story, lucas just reused bits of stories that we already knew, recognizable and not too weird characters, and yeah, good marketing

it follows the hero's journey to a T

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Doom Mathematic posted:

Star Wars also has ridiculously good editing.
having last rewatched it about 6 years ago or so, it's a pretty briskly paced movie and the only fat i'd trim is (most of) the jawa scenes. except the part where chewie stacks them on a funerary pyre i guess

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lol they have strayed pretty far from that

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kenny Logins posted:

the part where chewie stacks them on a funerary pyre i guess

Burning dead Jawa smoke gets you hella high, they are an endangered species except out on the galactic rim

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

i will lol forever that rian johnson made a movie that basically said its ok to be a nobody you can still help make the world a better place and we ended up with that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

its ok to be a nobody you can still help make the world a better place

science fiction is one thing but that's just downright silly

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i will lol forever that rian johnson made a movie that basically said its ok to be a nobody you can still help make the world a better place and we ended up with that

rian johnson's one took a lot of risks and even though they didn't really pay off that makes it by far the most interesting of the new ones imo. the last one is so bloated and incoherent that it's kind of hard to talk about. it's like they created the plot outline by listening to a kid play with some star wars action figures for a couple of hours.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

wow I did not know

the T1000 bullet impacts were practical FX, not CG.

https://hackaday.com/2021/11/14/those-bullet-effects-in-terminator-2-werent-cgi/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhkv2sL2Uxw&t=56s

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

didn't know that either! that owns

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
for Halloween one year I did a half-assed T2 cop costume and used foil muffin tin bottoms to make those bullet damage fx spots

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s this thing in popular media [especially disney stuff] where franchises for kids are all about who your parents were and stuff for adults is more about family of choice and figuring out who you are beyond your family, I think disney can’t decide who the mainline movies should be for

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qirex posted:

there’s this thing in popular media [especially disney stuff] where franchises for kids are all about who your parents were

that's really hosed up

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

In the recent stars war shows I often found myself enjoying the closing credits concept art more than the actual episodes.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/tkelce/status/17065752852?s=61&t=RbXZMCgxsrDmnqH0V5aXJw

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
all quiet is prettttty good

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Neeat- new episode of Last of Us is already out.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah they didn’t want to compete with some other popular thing that’s happening on sunday

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

polyester concept posted:

yeah they didn’t want to compete with some other popular thing that’s happening on sunday

oh yeah puppy bowl this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

oh yeah puppy bowl this weekend

psyched as heck for the puppy bowl