Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
NAME
git-slam-tracked-repository - slams remote tracked repositories using non-fetched local remotes, while performing applicable attributes to knock the given tracked repositories.

SYNOPSIS
git-slam-tracked-repository --[no-]mangle-if-log <credentials> --squash-banish-blob=<directory> --start-root <masters> --[no-]flip-if-not-mailmap --[no-]complete-parent

DESCRIPTION
git-slam-tracked-repository should be used when you wish to slam the current tracked repository of a downstream bundle and the path, and only want to cherry-pick to a temporary tree.

Whenever git-stress-subtree merges a patch, remote-hook is rewound so the git-boost-cache command is permitted to twitch the bug report of several clones, leading to situations where supplemental saved working trees are slammed with server.ref-format, and in suitable cases by the command git-saw-refspec. The user will not write all gitfiles, or run git-bang-dangling-object --research-tag-object instead. When LOCAL_DELTA_FOCUS is recursed, unlike heads like symbolic-name.option and pathspec.bare-repository, symlinks could be requested. The most recent unreachable object reinforcing may be stripped, unless otherwise designated.

git-slam-tracked-repository --[no-]shift-gouge-config can perform a shallow tracked repository before sending the mailing list, unless otherwise noted. Extra special downstreams will before post-initializing be slammed by an active graph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i can feel the carpal tunnel already

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

hahahaha how the gently caress is typing git commands real hahahaha programmer just use a gui like just click a button haha

mystes
May 31, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

NAME
git-slam-tracked-repository - slams remote tracked repositories using non-fetched local remotes, while performing applicable attributes to knock the given tracked repositories.

SYNOPSIS
git-slam-tracked-repository --[no-]mangle-if-log <credentials> --squash-banish-blob=<directory> --start-root <masters> --[no-]flip-if-not-mailmap --[no-]complete-parent

DESCRIPTION
git-slam-tracked-repository should be used when you wish to slam the current tracked repository of a downstream bundle and the path, and only want to cherry-pick to a temporary tree.

Whenever git-stress-subtree merges a patch, remote-hook is rewound so the git-boost-cache command is permitted to twitch the bug report of several clones, leading to situations where supplemental saved working trees are slammed with server.ref-format, and in suitable cases by the command git-saw-refspec. The user will not write all gitfiles, or run git-bang-dangling-object --research-tag-object instead. When LOCAL_DELTA_FOCUS is recursed, unlike heads like symbolic-name.option and pathspec.bare-repository, symlinks could be requested. The most recent unreachable object reinforcing may be stripped, unless otherwise designated.

git-slam-tracked-repository --[no-]shift-gouge-config can perform a shallow tracked repository before sending the mailing list, unless otherwise noted. Extra special downstreams will before post-initializing be slammed by an active graph.
This makes me feel like I'm having a stroke

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
git's easy. you just gotta read the man pages!

the man pages:

Poopernickel posted:

NAME

SYNOPSIS

DESCRIPTION

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
git has the porcelain layer and the plumbing layer, the plumbing layer is supposed to be used by hosting peeps like github or gitlab. and subtree fuckin poo poo is deffo plumbing

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

bob dobbs is dead posted:

git has the porcelain layer and the plumbing layer, the plumbing layer is supposed to be used by hosting peeps like github or gitlab. and subtree fuckin poo poo is deffo plumbing

yeah there's the layer where no-one bothered to make a user interface and the layer where maybe there is a user interface

you just gotta add one flag for every year the command's been around to make it do the right thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

tef posted:

you just gotta add one flag for every year the command's been around to make it do the right thing

i have a lot of beeves wrt git and having all its behavior be config-defined is one of them. Someone asks a git question and who fuckin knows what to tell them because their git behavior is all hosed up because their config is full of weird poo poo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ps hi tef hope u are well

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
more seriously, i think my fav git ux thing is how commands are named after how they're implemented, not after what people are trying to do

"switch to a branch"

also git checkout

"create a new branch (from my working copy)"

git checkout

"restore a file from the last commit"

git checkout

"detaching the working copy from the current associated branch"

also git checkout

"revert a file to a given version"

... it's git checkout

"copy a file from another branch"

well,

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

ps hi tef hope u are well

pretty good, may have finally got a job with a nice chill place who are ok with four day weeks, so i'll have more time for posting, but also less need to

hope things are also going nice for you

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

more seriously, i think my fav git ux thing is how commands are named after how they're implemented, not after what people are trying to do

"switch to a branch"

also git checkout

git checkout

git checkout

also git checkout

... it's git checkout

well,

oh im checked out all right

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

i'll have more time for posting

:negative:

quote:

hope things are also going nice for you

same liver, different eagles, you know how it is

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

tef posted:

"switch to a branch"

also git checkout

git checkout

git checkout

also git checkout

... it's git checkout

well,

they finally added more porcelain in the form of git switch, which only does some of those things

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I think I had a run of 4-5 jobs where I oversaw migration from svn (or tfs version control) to git, and I regret nothing :foksmash:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SVN to git isn't too bad. iirc when I did ours I used some tool for it and pulled in all the history along with doing a big ol' split out from one mega SVN solution and a cleanup of years of binaries that were checked in

the history contained nothing of value.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
if only hg had been more popular

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I use hg regularly, it's pretty good but you can kind of see the writing on the wall given the lack of enterprise support.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hg was never going to achieve success because torvalds cranked out his own version control system instead and the whole git vs hg war was won by linux kernel programmer wannabes doing everything they could to metaphorically fellate the angry finnish man of their wet dreams

it sucks because it had some advantages over git at the time but by this point all those advantages have been backported into `git-esoteric-command-line-dinosaur-flummox-bandersnatch` and nobody hosts fancy web-facing hg repos anymore so mercurial is properly dead

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
u mad bro?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

im not mad, please do not commit to the repo that I got mad

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
git config --global alias.gud 'commit --amend -m "mad cuz bad"'

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

god angular sucks so bad ughhhhh

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Carthag Tuek posted:

it’s front end op, it was always gonna suck

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Kazinsal posted:

hg was never going to achieve success because torvalds cranked out his own version control system instead and the whole git vs hg war was won by linux kernel programmer wannabes doing everything they could to metaphorically fellate the angry finnish man of their wet dreams

it sucks because it had some advantages over git at the time but by this point all those advantages have been backported into `git-esoteric-command-line-dinosaur-flummox-bandersnatch` and nobody hosts fancy web-facing hg repos anymore so mercurial is properly dead

this is kinda true but also

git's "everything is a snapshot" model is a lot faster for a lot of common use cases, even if "oh no renames" raises its head

and hg's branches are kinda so rear end backwards that they eventually copied git's branches in the form of bookmarks

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

im not mad, please do not commit to the repo that I got mad

git cherry-pick -n 529713743
git commit -m "p2h got mad"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Armitag3 posted:

it’s front end op, it was always gonna suck

true, true

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Carthag Tuek posted:

well op just use react vue svelte next nuxt webpack rollup grunt gulp esbuild swc *cough* sorry choked on a cough drop there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagacity posted:

well op just use react vue svelte next nuxt webpack rollup grunt gulp esbuild swc *cough* sorry choked on a cough drop there

trying to stick to 1-2 line changes cause any real work will absolutely take a month+ because not only is it frontend garbage, the choices made are also really weird

like i changed some text on a directive template but nothing happened, it still showed the old text. well turns out the text in the angular directive is just pretend or something, the actually displayed text is set by css. wtf who wrote this, why is there stuff in the template that is immediately overwritten by css

okay. removed the css thing and nothing shows up. aha, the template is broken and the text does not show so they f ixed it via css and didnt update the tempalte. nice nice

its like that all the way down, forever

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Its a Rolex posted:

git cherry-pick -n 529713743
git commit -m "p2h got mad"

gently caress!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

It's better than all the jabascript poo poo I had to do in the last decade. I've never used react though, but I'm happy with it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Janitor Prime posted:

It's better than all the jabascript poo poo I had to do in the last decade. I've never used react though, but I'm happy with it.

nota bene: this is a angularjs codebase from 2015, ive heard angulario(?? sounds italian) is better

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
It's a-me, Angulario!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
opening a git checkout in vscode at work and hovering my mouse indecisively over the button that says "Yes, I trust the authors of this project"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

opening a git checkout in vscode at work and hovering my mouse indecisively over the button that says "Yes, I trust the authors of this project"

same, and its my own private repo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sapozhnik posted:

there should be a checkbox somewhere like crossing your fingers behind your back

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

nota bene: this is a angularjs codebase from 2015, ive heard angulario(?? sounds italian) is better

Now you tell us. AngularJS 1.x was a nightmare.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.theregister.com/2023/02/10/googles_go_programming_language_telemetry_debate/

Google's gonna put opt-out telemetry in the go toolchain. Which means that you need to take extra steps in order to prevent the go tools from reporting your sins.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sb hermit posted:

Google's gonna put opt-out telemetry

*marc maron voice* oh wow so thats new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

sb hermit posted:

https://www.theregister.com/2023/02/10/googles_go_programming_language_telemetry_debate/

Google's gonna put opt-out telemetry in the go toolchain. Which means that you need to take extra steps in order to prevent the go tools from reporting your sins.

So Google is always gonna Google, I guess…

Speaking of Angular, I’ve had the displeasure of updating and building upon a project not properly maintained and just feature updated ad-hoc in the last 4 years. I never knew just how much Angular would suck until very recently lol