Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apparently there's a mac build of cheat engine, but i don't know how badly you'll have to mangle the os security to make it work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

infernal machines posted:

apparently there's a mac build of cheat engine, but i don't know how badly you'll have to mangle the os security to make it work

lmao, apparently it requires a UEFI shim?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not surprising. as a rule osx does not like you directly modifying another process's memory. doing anything to bypass security restriction in osx involves taking a hammer to the entire thing because everything is designed to prevent you from loving with any part of it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
yeah, i clicked through to check it out specifically because i figured it would have to be a pretty hacky solution

bypassing the os entirely just to cheat at games seems a bit much lol (obviously i know it can be used for other things too, but still. i probably wouldn't even try it on a real machine)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
simply use the POKE command at the BASIC interpreter prompt

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i miss the old versions of OSX where it was easy to inject code into other processes and override random system calls with your own versions just like you could in OS9
but i'm sure it was a support nightmare and the platform would be riddled with malware now if it was still possible

:rip: Unsanity

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
you still can with EFI lol

it's not as slick a solution obviously but it works at least. a lot of the hackintosh ones modify ACPI tables for compatibility even

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
aslr asmr

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

r u ready to WALK posted:

i miss the old versions of OSX where it was easy to inject code into other processes and override random system calls with your own versions just like you could in OS9
but i'm sure it was a support nightmare and the platform would be riddled with malware now if it was still possible

i still use an app i cracked with DYLIB injection. works fine

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

silence_kit posted:

I don’t think the RAM is on the same die as the computer chips, but I think the Apple Design has more tight packaging integration between RAM and CPU than the traditional desktop computer.

This doesn’t greatly change your conclusion—you are right I think in that the Apple Design is a little less modular and so there is a technical reason for fewer configurations.

BobHoward will probably post ITT correcting one of us.

whoops didn't read this thread for a while. looks like nobody said the needful so i'll necropost

you are correct, apple uses package-on-package integration for ram. high performance logic and dense DRAM require fundamentally different fabrication processes, it's not possible to integrate both onto one hunk of silicon. so apple buys DRAM packages (they're probably JEDEC standard devices btw, not something super custom), and solders them to the SoC's package substrate

on capacity: apple always populates all memory controller channels and doesn't bus multiple DRAM packages to one channel (same thing as 1 dimm per channel in the pc space). so the number of channels (proportional to bus width) and the set of LPDDR5 package sizes available to apple determines the capacities they can offer

when you make a table it's clear apple has three ram density options, and there's one possible config they don't make:

m2    : 128-bit RAM bus, 8GB / 16GB / 24GB RAM
m2 pro: 256-bit RAM bus, 16GB / 32GB / 48GB RAM
m2 max: 512-bit RAM bus, 32GB / 64GB / 96GB RAM

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/marty/status/1623350994116517888?s=46&t=ZrD-su9R1u2WTVAb6dg09g

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lmao, is that a foreman grill?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

haha it is. I picked one of those up at a yard sale when I was a kid decades ago

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

no imac 0/10

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

you gotta add the griffin imate to ensure aqua backward compatibility for your snow white accessories

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

heck yeah been using an imate for over a decade with an extended keyboard II

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

r u ready to WALK posted:

i think you can still do that with opencore or m1n1 which are basically hypervisor rootkits

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Elder Postsman posted:

heck yeah been using an imate for over a decade with an extended keyboard II

yessssss. i used the adb keyboard for a good while after i snagged an imate from a closing design studio ages ago

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
sweet
https://twitter.com/cyanworlds/status/1623744426312077312

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bethesda look with envy at how often cyan rereleases myst

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

free only to play the first island. $10 to play any of the book lands. uninstalled.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol ok

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IUG posted:

free only to play the first island. $10 to play any of the book lands. uninstalled.

what exactly are you upset about?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if having to pay for stuff offends you, the apple thread is probably not the most receptive audience

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that… seems ok? free trial with instant paid unlock is not rare or exploitative. it’s not like a normal f2p game where you have to pay over and over or it stops being fun

$40 for a remaster of a game from the mid-90s is a bit much tho

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so pixelmator photo had a lifetime option available on first install. i did the free trial to try it out. i want to buy it. the lifetime option is now gone. i deleted the app but no dice on getting the lifetime option back. anyone have any ideas what i can do to try and get it back? i have a family plan so can i download it on my wife's phone pay for lifetime and share the sub that way?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

KidDynamite posted:

i have a family plan so can i download it on my wife's phone pay for lifetime and share the sub that way?

i'm hesitant to be definitive but you should be able to. like i said i was grandfathered into the lifetime sub already, but i use family sharing with my wife's account too and she's able to download it also

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i'm going to wait to see what happens when the trial expires. that might be what blocks the lifetime option from showing up even if it's canceled.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

KidDynamite posted:

i'm going to wait to see what happens when the trial expires. that might be what blocks the lifetime option from showing up even if it's canceled.

yeah good call imo. no reason to not wait really

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm hesitant to be definitive but you should be able to. like i said i was grandfathered into the lifetime sub already, but i use family sharing with my wife's account too and she's able to download it also

I haven’t been using it after it went subscription based, but clicking on Manage Subscription just takes me directly to the App Store subscription page. I haven’t been prompting me about anything so I don’t know if that means I’m grandfathered or not?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DX24TB1 posted:

I haven’t been using it after it went subscription based, but clicking on Manage Subscription just takes me directly to the App Store subscription page. I haven’t been prompting me about anything so I don’t know if that means I’m grandfathered or not?

yeah if i click that in the menu i just get a list of the subs i do have (or had) on the app store. i'm guessing that means you're good since it doesn't even show up on the list

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

ahahah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have put my phone into airplane mode but with wifi on the battery has been good

fun fAx about iphone SE (sex edition) 2

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah if i click that in the menu i just get a list of the subs i do have (or had) on the app store. i'm guessing that means you're good since it doesn't even show up on the list

Sweet!
Guess I should use it more often now that I’ve completely cutoff Adobe from my life

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jenny Agutter posted:

ecobee thermostats have homekit-exposed temp/humidity sensors, and their little add-on wireless smart sensors are also exposed in homekit. caveat is that they also have motion/occupancy sensors

for the life of me i cannot get my ecobee to work with homekit how i want it to. i have my ‘turn everything off’ scene for when i got to bed also configured to turn down the thermostat but it will only be revived as a ‘hold this temperature for two hours’ command and the furnace will kick back on after that. same goes for when i leave the house in the summer and don’t want the AC running while i’m gone. it’ll only hold it for two hours for some reason

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's because you're holding it wrong

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

and a tape dispenser

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

for the life of me i cannot get my ecobee to work with homekit how i want it to. i have my ‘turn everything off’ scene for when i got to bed also configured to turn down the thermostat but it will only be revived as a ‘hold this temperature for two hours’ command and the furnace will kick back on after that. same goes for when i leave the house in the summer and don’t want the AC running while i’m gone. it’ll only hold it for two hours for some reason

i figured it out. ecobee has a setting on the thermostat that defines how long a hold lasts. i changed it from 2 hours to indefinite

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i figured it out. ecobee has a setting on the thermostat that defines how long a hold lasts. i changed it from 2 hours to indefinite

glad you figured it out. I tend to keep thermostat stuff in the ecobee app, I like that you can schedule an entire vacation so I don’t have to remember to turn it back to normal before I get back. the smart sensors are really responsive motion sensors so I like to use them to say turn on some lights when I enter a room and turn them off when I leave. not happy that the home app just deleted some automations randomly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
what the hell did you do to my weather widget tim

why tim

why