Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Not a Children posted:

if anyone asks about your home life, lie or obfuscate.

oh good i followed your advice and landed a job that expects me to work sixty hour weeks. awesome. this is a great outcome.

i say "i have a seven year old and he will always be my priority over work. that's why i only go over 40 hours a week in emergencies"

if you're out of work and need the job, sure, be cagey i guess. if you're worried about discrimination (and it's a huge company where you might, maybe, have protections after hire that you don't during the interview process) keep it private.

but not landing a job that you'd be miserable at is the preferred outcome of interviews for both parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CPColin posted:

papa I have to make baño

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Achmed Jones posted:

that's why i only go over "when I'm the one speaking in a Zoom call" in emergencies

Fixed for me

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

rotor does your place actually ask fizzbuzz in their screens :toughguy:

speaking of fizzbuzz, did I ever post itt about formally verifying stupid interview questions, one day I'll have the chutzpah to do something like this live

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Dijkstracula posted:

rotor does your place actually ask fizzbuzz in their screens :toughguy:

my place? no

me personally? yes, and more than half the candidates cant do it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm a fan of Aphyr's approach: https://aphyr.com/posts/353-rewriting-the-technical-interview

But this is also acceptable: https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

me personally? yes, and more than half the candidates cant do it.
holy moly, drat

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Dijkstracula posted:

holy moly, drat

the contractors are the worst

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rotor next time you do some interviews can you test my theory

The Fool posted:

I think just straight up asking the interviewee if the can do a fizzbuzz is as good of a signal as having them actually do it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if you don’t mind talking about this i’d like to know more. did they just blurt it out casually in a sentence while trying to be friendly? did it have venom behind it? did they realize they’d hosed up at any point afterwards?

they were fuckin up the problem, i dont remember if it had serious venom, i couldnt tell if they knew they hosed up

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The Fool posted:

rotor next time you do some interviews can you test my theory

that question is only valid with the follow through. but then you’ll look like an rear end for not taking a potential future coworker at their word. what a conundrum

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

when i interview i generally give a smaller more interview friendly version of an issue/feature that happened irl and ask them to implement or fix the thing with a laptop running a vm/dev env

is this insulting? its usually like “figure out why the fart api is throwing 500s or redirects” and they have all the source

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

this is for ops and programmers and is usually not like secret bullshit but like “read the error log and compare it to the code”

passing is from “solved correctly” to “got at least 25% the way there and had a good inkling of what to check”

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 10, 2023

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Share Bear posted:

when i interview i generally give a smaller more interview friendly version of an issue/feature that happened irl and ask them to implement or fix the thing with a laptop running a vm/dev env

is this insulting? its usually like “figure out why the fart api is throwing 500s or redirects” and they have all the source

I would be happy to get this as a problem because it's an opportunity to talk about and ask questions about lots of things. And you can demonstrate that you have a decent debugging process even if you don't get all the way in time.

I'm apparently going to be fizzbuzzed next week, not sure how good a signal it can possibly send if the recruiter is telling people it's coming.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Since y'all keep bringing up fizzbuzz, I should share the song.

to the tune of "We're Off To See The Wizard" posted:

We're off to see the Fizzard,
the wonderful Fizzard of Buzz!
You'll find he is a buzz of a Fizz if ever a Fizz there was
If ever a wonderful Fizz there buzz
The Fizzard is one because, because
Because, because, because, because, because...
Because of the wonderful things he buzz!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Quackles posted:

The Fizzard is one

one is not divisible by 3 :colbert:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

theflyingexecutive posted:

one is not divisible by 3 :colbert:

That's why it says 'one' and not 'Fizz' :science:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Fizz.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Share Bear posted:

this is for ops and programmers and is usually not like secret bullshit but like “read the error log and compare it to the code”

passing is from “solved correctly” to “got at least 25% the way there and had a good inkling of what to check”
Yeah i had something like this when I interviewed at Stripe years and years ago

It had kind of an interesting failure mode in that the interviewer asked what language I'd like to do the interview in and I said Python, as that's my go-to language for coding interviews (but really nothing else), so when I was faced with the actual problem that wasn't "do a fizzbuzz" or whatever, while it was plain to see that there was like some per-request state being incorrectly cached just from what it was doing wrong, I had to ask the interviewer "uh so how can I set a breakpoint, is there a debugger" so I looked like a goddarn chump :eng99:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

I would be happy to get this as a problem because it's an opportunity to talk about and ask questions about lots of things. And you can demonstrate that you have a decent debugging process even if you don't get all the way in time.

I'm apparently going to be fizzbuzzed next week, not sure how good a signal it can possibly send if the recruiter is telling people it's coming.

Not a good one imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you better tell them that their interview process is bad, im sure that will make them happy

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

you better tell them that their interview process is bad, im sure that will make them happy

I was once referred by a friend, who was iirc an angel investor or board member or something high up, to a startup and after they asked me fizzbuzz I went to him and said "somebody probably ought to get yelled at"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dijkstracula posted:

Yeah i had something like this when I interviewed at Stripe years and years ago

It had kind of an interesting failure mode in that the interviewer asked what language I'd like to do the interview in and I said Python, as that's my go-to language for coding interviews (but really nothing else), so when I was faced with the actual problem that wasn't "do a fizzbuzz" or whatever, while it was plain to see that there was like some per-request state being incorrectly cached just from what it was doing wrong, I had to ask the interviewer "uh so how can I set a breakpoint, is there a debugger" so I looked like a goddarn chump :eng99:

I just drilled leetcode in c++ and some c so I could use the languages I’m most experienced with even if I’d normally do “toy” problems in python.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you havent used it for money you prolly shouldnt use it for interviews, unless its your first job or something

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you havent used it for money you prolly shouldnt use it for interviews, unless its your first job or something
eh, interview problems are (at least putting aside the "hey debug this real thing on a real computer") so divorced from the actual job that I'm not sure this is necessarily true

(also at that point, I'd mostly only worked at scala shops, and that language rightfully rarely appeared on the acceptable languages whitelist)

e: though I did in one interview loop do everything in C (with sys/tree.h and sys/queue.h if I needed, like, "a data structure") and that went just as well, so,

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 11, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dijkstracula posted:

e: though I did in one interview loop do everything in C (with sys/tree.h and sys/queue.h if I needed, like, "a data structure") and that went just as well, so,

after practicing more general “white board” problems I’m pretty sure I got a job either entirely based on or at least technical firm hire by knocking out a trie “class” and simple spellchecker in C on a couple hour “take home”

it would’ve been like 10 lines of python lol

I think the intention behind the problem was actually to use arrays or something? or maybe that’s just what most people did? regardless as you say tree.h is probably close enough to a built in to rely on…

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 11, 2023

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the intention behind the problem was actually to use arrays or something? or maybe that’s just what most people did? regardless as you say tree.h is probably close enough to a built in to rely on…
yeah, I think most folks honestly just used c++ or python or java or something, and the whole "tree.h comes standard on any OS that is not a POS" was kind of my argument and none of the interviewers seemed to mind

This has gotten me wondering what rust folks do for these sorts of interviews: I'm very much not a rust person (though I probably ought to become one) but I could imagine a lot of the canonical interview problems don't lend themselves nicely to an affine type system: certainly linked list stuff sounds irritating in the language, saying nothing of more general things like graphs...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dijkstracula posted:

yeah, I think most folks honestly just used c++ or python or java or something, and the whole "tree.h comes standard on any OS that is not a POS" was kind of my argument and none of the interviewers seemed to mind

This has gotten me wondering what rust folks do for these sorts of interviews: I'm very much not a rust person (though I probably ought to become one) but I could imagine a lot of the canonical interview problems don't lend themselves nicely to an affine type system: certainly linked list stuff sounds irritating in the language, saying nothing of more general things like graphs...

the rust standard library has a linked list at least https://doc.rust-lang.org/std/collections/struct.LinkedList.html

graphs feel like a mess, at least a “pointer chase” one. I think most interview problems can be “cheated” a bit here though.

I’m not a rust person either though

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
does anyone have a link to a thing that someone wrote about tech interviews concluding that their purpose is to select for compliance and fealty to the company rather than any particular technical skillset? i know that's a vague description but if i had more to go on i could probably find it myself. i wanna say it was on some weird platform like tumblr or something but i could be misremembering that part.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
FizzBuzz.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

raminasi posted:

does anyone have a link to a thing that someone wrote about tech interviews concluding that their purpose is to select for compliance and fealty to the company rather than any particular technical skillset? i know that's a vague description but if i had more to go on i could probably find it myself. i wanna say it was on some weird platform like tumblr or something but i could be misremembering that part.

probably partly right but also kind of a good thing, I'd much rather work with someone who complies with random bullshit than someone who doesn't

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

raminasi posted:

"Company" is doing a lot of heavy lifting unless the article does a better job describing it. I could give a poo poo about my employer but ya when I interview people it would be nice if we got along. Not sure how thats different from any other social situation?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, like, we've all read that or at least entertained the same thing but at the end of the day it's a dumb and bad take. i don't want to work with the person who's too inflexible to jump through basic hoops. the risk that they'll also be too inflexible to do things like "change the way they talk so as not to offend others" or "deal with changing requirements because That's Software" is just too high

but this is the thread where some folks got the vapors about the extremely arduous task of looking at some company values for fifteen minutes in the hotel room after already having spent hours on the phone with recruiters, scheduling interviews, flying halfway across the country to do onsites, etc. for people like that, no interview process at all will ever be easy enough

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Achmed Jones posted:

flying [...] across the country to do onsites

I miss this

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

cheque_some posted:

I miss this

such truth. you can get a nice vacation out of an onsite

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

cheque_some posted:

I miss this

not me, i dont want to get on an airplane ever again (or interview for that matter, which is why im gonna try to hold onto this job with both fists for the back half of my career....)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fritz posted:

which is why im gonna try to hold onto this job with both fists for the back half of my career....)

yeah that's what i said, but then google laid of 12k people and i'm lookin around like "oh no what if my team is next"

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

such truth. you can get a nice vacation out of an onsite

I used to think this, and then I worked at a place where I was in a remote office one week a month (necessitating travel and jetlag adjustment over the weekends), and seriously my kingdom for my own bed and food that I've actually made myself :gonk:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Dijkstracula posted:

I used to think this, and then I worked at a place where I was in a remote office one week a month (necessitating travel and jetlag adjustment over the weekends), and seriously my kingdom for my own bed and food that I've actually made myself :gonk:

work travel sucks if you do it every week. but that doesn't mean the interview or two a year can't be a nice little getaway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
God are yall interviewing that much, sounds exhausting