Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

what the hell did you do to my weather widget tim

why tim

why

yeah i got a loving add for the royal rumble. via the peacock app. i was pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
to be clear i absolutely did not add loving ads to my homescreen, they just showed up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

KidDynamite posted:

yeah i got a loving add for the royal rumble. via the peacock app. i was pissed.

i didn't screenshot it but i was getting UFC ads before

gently caress you tim even google doesn't pull this poo poo

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

wait what? is ios just feeding random ads now?

this is why i never upgrade

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lord funk posted:

wait what? is ios just feeding random ads now?

this is why i never upgrade

seems to be ads for things available via apple services (app store and apple tv+ have been the ones i've seen so far)

i barely use the app store and very very rarely use tv+, so i doubt they're targeted. if they are lol man they were way loving off

theres also this courtesy of the android thread

The Management posted:

iOS 16.2

welcome to hawaii!

because, again, not even google, an actual loving advertising company, does this

e: i'm on 16.3 btw

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 12, 2023

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
my favorite is when you open music or podcasts and it doesn’t take you back to the last page you viewed but instead to the explore page

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

also if you don’t have wifi on and you open camera and it prompts you that location data won’t be so accurate if you have wifi off

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the wifi network found popup is still a thing in 2023 and thats just amazing.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

also if you don’t have wifi on and you open camera and it prompts you that location data won’t be so accurate if you have wifi off

how is this still a thing in tyool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lord funk posted:

how is this still a thing in tyool

apple is really bad now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

it's because you're holding it wrong

don’t doxx my donor efforts

Beeftweeter posted:

apple is really bad now

shamesung users having the worlds biggest chortle rn

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

my favorite is when you open music or podcasts and it doesn’t take you back to the last page you viewed but instead to the explore page

other apps do this too, with the explore page feeling deliberately designed to be easily confused with the library page. i.e. similar list of tiles and always with a couple of your favourites first, so looking for another one of your things you start scrolling into a sequence of garbage algorithmic suggestions before realizing the mistake.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

is the app library still a part of the ios home screen? i'm on ios 14 i think. i never understood why anyone, ever, would want a page that essentially randomizes the location of their apps on the screen

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

lord funk posted:

is the app library still a part of the ios home screen? i'm on ios 14 i think. i never understood why anyone, ever, would want a page that essentially randomizes the location of their apps on the screen

Unfortunately it is.

Wish they would just kill it off and let me have the alphabetical sorted list instead.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DX24TB1 posted:

Unfortunately it is.

Wish they would just kill it off and let me have the alphabetical sorted list instead.

swipe down on the app library screen

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

Beeftweeter posted:

swipe down on the app library screen

Oh I know it’s there - I just wished the App Library was skipped and a right swipe just went directly to the list

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I would simply not have the ‘smart stack’ on my Home Screen

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
more like dumb stack

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah either put a stack of widgets you want on there (I like having stacks of different news topics to scroll thru, that’s nice) or just put a single weather widget w/ no stack.

relying on Apple AI to decide what I should see is lame

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i have one 3x3 stack with maps, photos, and weather then a 2x3 stack with music/overcast. no other home screen icons beyond the 4 in the bottom tray. use app library for everything else. no widgets but used to have one for a reminder app. i like it as a setup overall

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whole load of holding wrong itt

Wild EEPROM posted:

this literally never happens to me, and i use eg. apple music enough to be the top listener of an artist i like, according to the yearly recap thing

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

whole load of holding wrong itt

this literally never happens to me, and i use eg. apple music enough to be the top listener of an artist i like, according to the yearly recap thing
https://twitter.com/ronnui_/status/1292808095765331968?s=20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
people should really check out mambos no. 1-4, there are some hidden gems in there

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what about your mom-bo 69??????????

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i barely use the home screen anymore. just pick up the phone and pull down to search from lock screen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve given up janitoring my phone and have just accepted that I have to skip two pages of apps I never use to get to one I do sometimes

haveblue posted:

people should really check out mambos no. 1-4, there are some hidden gems in there

most people don’t know this but there is a mambo no: 219

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lou bega really needs to update that song. girl names have evolved

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Kenny Logins posted:

i have one 3x3 stack with maps, photos, and weather then a 2x3 stack with music/overcast. no other home screen icons beyond the 4 in the bottom tray. use app library for everything else. no widgets but used to have one for a reminder app. i like it as a setup overall

this sounds neat and tidy and I’m trying it out now

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i've just been rolling over backups since my iphone4 and i'm sure there's apps still on here that i haven't used since i had that iphone4

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

this sounds neat and tidy and I’m trying it out now
:tipshat: gl

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

i've just been rolling over backups since my iphone4 and i'm sure there's apps still on here that i haven't used since i had that iphone4

there definitely are, it makes app library way more painful to use than it needs to be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elder Postsman posted:

it’s bullshit imo

I hate janitoring poo poo now so now I have pages of apps I never use between a few apps I do

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

I would simply not have the ‘smart stack’ on my Home Screen

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

echinopsis posted:

it’s bullshit imo

I hate janitoring poo poo now so now I have pages of apps I never use between a few apps I do

can’t you just delete pages on your home screen now?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

can’t you just delete pages on your home screen now?

yes, you can

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
turns out i was not in fact using smart stack

there is another perfidious option

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mfw goons use dumb stacks and then complain about dumb poo poo :rolleye:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

apple is really bad now

it was already bad, but sadly the least bad option

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

it’s bullshit imo

remember when there was a thing in itunes where you could janitor your apps and homescreen on a computer with a mouse, that was good cos you could mass delete poo poo really easily. is that still a thing somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

git apologist posted:

it was already bad, but sadly the least bad option

still technically the best