Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Doooo itttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Probably the only sort of manager they could reasonably get right now. No ambitious PL-calibre manager is going to want to take on a team so nailed-on for relegation, there’s nothing to gain. Then you’ve just got unproven managers for whom the attraction of a PL job is enough - but they’ve just tried that with miserable results.

So it’s either another recently sacked manager looking to bounce back, or smashing the Big Sam Alarm

E: or maybe they could get Bielsa and actually let him do the “you’re going to get relegated anyway, so let me manage the u23s for the rest of this season first” thing he wanted to do at Everton

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Obliterati posted:

Fond memories of Qatar and players simply disappearing from the VAR image

People disappearing without explanation is kind a Qatar "thing" tbf.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Who the gently caress does Marsch think he is? You can only get on the merry-go-round if you're British

They'll end up getting Hasenhuttl back, and then still sacking him again when they get relegated

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Answers Me posted:

So it’s either another recently sacked manager looking to bounce back, or smashing the Big Sam Alarm

Smashing the big Sam alarm would be totally reasonable tbh.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Leeds getting relegated would be mitigated by Marsch becoming a future quiz question by being the first guy to manage two relegated teams in the same season, unless that has happened before (think it might have)

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

the sex ghost posted:

Leeds getting relegated would be mitigated by Marsch becoming a future quiz question by being the first guy to manage two relegated teams in the same season, unless that has happened before (think it might have)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/23/1

quote:

David Lusk can't quite avoid a soupçon of schadenfreude when recounting our third managerial calamity. Already a legend at Villa Park - a promotion, two league cups, a league championship and to all intents and purposes a European Cup - Ron Saunders went way beyond the call of duty in 1985-86 by taking the helm at bitter local rivals Birmingham City and West Bromwich Albion and getting them both relegated from the First Division in the same season, David reports gleefully.

The two teams suffered 55 defeats between them and conceded a total of 162 goals. With what can only be described as a flourish of genius, he spent his last match at the Blues in January overseeing their elimination from the FA Cup by non-league Altrincham.
lol

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Wow, I grew up near Altrincham and can confirm it would be very embarrassing to lose to them.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Isn't this getting into lawsuit territory if the league is decided by 2 points?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

your honour, i wish to submit into evidence these five thousand letters addressed to the dumb clowns who work at the circus, all of which have been delivered to the the professional referees association by the king's own royal mail

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

no you cannot sue the referees for being bad at refereeing despite that being the only thing they do

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Isn't this getting into lawsuit territory if the league is decided by 2 points?

Yes, let us have a look at Arsenal's team under the eyes of the legal system and see what turns up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the sex ghost posted:

did mark hughes not manage it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's very funny to me that you can have five people sitting in the VAR room or whatever and all they do is make offside calls and yet they can still gently caress them up because someone drags the MS Paint line at the wrong angle or whatever

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Yes, let us have a look at Arsenal's team under the eyes of the legal system and see what turns up.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

That legal system did a real good job with Mason Greenwood

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/wastedcorner/status/1624861754135019520

🥴

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
me barristers…

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Jose posted:

did mark hughes not manage it?

Yes. If I recall correctly, the team he left in the summer also got relegated, giving him the rarest trifecta.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Manchester City should be eternally imprisoned in League One like a special ironic cell they build for a Batman villain

can't go up, can't go down, just showing up in Shrewsbury once a year with a banner that says they're not really there and a big flask of bovril that they have to sneak in

as a warning to other clubs

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Please football gods make this happen. Also Fat Frank (family connection) or Stevie G (bags of money) to Sandbanks FC so I only have to worry about Sean Dyche's Everton, and West Hampton.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Answers Me posted:

Probably the only sort of manager they could reasonably get right now. No ambitious PL-calibre manager is going to want to take on a team so nailed-on for relegation, there’s nothing to gain. Then you’ve just got unproven managers for whom the attraction of a PL job is enough - but they’ve just tried that with miserable results.

E: or maybe they could get Bielsa and actually let him do the “you’re going to get relegated anyway, so let me manage the u23s for the rest of this season first” thing he wanted to do at Everton

I'm a little surprised Southampton aren't leaning toward Bielsa, unless Bielsa's opinions are so strong that the owners don't think they can maintain control of the club or something like that...

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Brooks who was responsible for the VAR gently caress up at Palace v Brighton has been stood down from the Merseyside derby and Arsenal v Man City.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think the issue is individual people really, it shouldn't be possible to have human error when multiple people are doing the VAR work

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Thanks Ants posted:

it shouldn't be possible to have human error when multiple people are doing the VAR work

wherever there are humans there will be human error. id rather go back to the way things were, but the investments are too large to put VAR back in the box. So we will get decades of VAR sucking until they eventually have the technology to fully automate everything. To nerd a bit, I think they would need to be able to generate a real-time 3d rendering based on one or probably several cameras and then run that rendering through a rule enforcement model trained on eons of footage. Most likely the next step will be to just implement the World Cup semi-assisted offside thing, which is not going to aid transparency or possible even correctness. Ultimately, VAR has brought in the wrong kind of controversy. At least bad calls were immediate and funny in the cosmic sense. VAR is just spite from god when it affects your team, even moreso when it is incorrect.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the real problem is that it no longer all evens out in the end

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
VAR was destined to be a disaster the moment they decided it could be used to draw lines on fuzzy screen shots to determine offside. It should have been used with a high level of deference to the decision on the field to catch obviously incorrect decisions or not at all.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don't hear about these kind of VAR problems in any other league.

Granted I don't follow any other league as closely as the Premier League but maybe having your horribly poo poo referees like Jon Moss and Mike Dean in charge of VAR is the problem.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s actually amazing that mike dean can still make himself the main protagonist of matches from 200 miles away

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Shrapnig posted:

I don't hear about these kind of VAR problems in any other league.

Granted I don't follow any other league as closely as the Premier League but maybe having your horribly poo poo referees like Jon Moss and Mike Dean in charge of VAR is the problem.

oh it happens everywhere

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/13/champions-league-final-report-uefa-primary-responsibility-chaos-paris-liverpool-real-madrid

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Probably because he was able to keep Leeds up even though they were in a relegation spot when he was hired by them 2/3 of the way through last season?

Although that ignores the fact that Leeds were in said relegation spots by just a point or two and he's also he's as flexible as a boulder with his tactics, so if Southampton's squad doesn't fit the way he likes his team to play then just stick a big ol' WELP on that.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Probably because he was able to keep Leeds up even though they were in a relegation spot when he was hired by them 2/3 of the way through last season?

Although that ignores the fact that Leeds were in said relegation spots by just a point or two and he's also he's as flexible as a boulder with his tactics, so if Southampton's squad doesn't fit the way he likes his team to play then just stick a big ol' WELP on that.

Additionally, good managers don’t want to come to teams in serious danger of being relegated so you may have to take what you can get, as Leeds are currently finding out.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

brocked posted:

Yes. If I recall correctly, the team he left in the summer also got relegated, giving him the rarest trifecta.

I can't figure out when this could have been, he's never managed 3 teams that close. Not because he doesn't get sacked, because people don't hire him. Except Stoke.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's weird, I read it and was sure I remembered that but according to this article Hughes left Stoke in 2017 and they got relegated later and the same thing happened with Southampton in 2012.

Anyway it's canon now so cheers to Mark Hughes, the only man to manage three relegated teams in one season (or was it four?)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Looks like Marsch is going to be the new Southampton manager for some loving reason, lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lol a truly baffling appointment. No-one quote this when Leeds have to bring in gary megson to replace him because no fucker wants this job

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Elon Musk wants to buy Man U

lol

lmao

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

No he doesn't. He's a terminally online moron who posts random poo poo on twitter while high on a cocktail of pills.

E: Also, he posted that like a year ago, and journalists are probably recycling it for clicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
'concerning' -elon musk having to watch man united