Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Private Speech posted:

probably partly right but also kind of a good thing, I'd much rather work with someone who complies with random bullshit than someone who doesn't

Mr. Crow posted:

"Company" is doing a lot of heavy lifting unless the article does a better job describing it. I could give a poo poo about my employer but ya when I interview people it would be nice if we got along. Not sure how thats different from any other social situation?

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah, like, we've all read that or at least entertained the same thing but at the end of the day it's a dumb and bad take. i don't want to work with the person who's too inflexible to jump through basic hoops. the risk that they'll also be too inflexible to do things like "change the way they talk so as not to offend others" or "deal with changing requirements because That's Software" is just too high

but this is the thread where some folks got the vapors about the extremely arduous task of looking at some company values for fifteen minutes in the hotel room after already having spent hours on the phone with recruiters, scheduling interviews, flying halfway across the country to do onsites, etc. for people like that, no interview process at all will ever be easy enough

i think i summarized it poorly - the thesis was that the processes are designed to select for people who will do a ton of unpaid work for the hiring company, because interview success comes from doing a ton of unpaid, irrelevant-to-the-job prep work. (this isn't about "look at our values for 15 minutes," it's about interviews where the recruiter recommends a textbook to study beforehand.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

God are yall interviewing that much, sounds exhausting

i haven't interviewed since i started at google. i'm really salty about feeling like i have to start again, so im complaining about it on the internet instead of actually doing it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this one will go a lot better if we can go find the article. i tried for 10 mins and couldnt

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

raminasi posted:

i think i summarized it poorly - the thesis was that the processes are designed to select for people who will do a ton of unpaid work for the hiring company, because interview success comes from doing a ton of unpaid, irrelevant-to-the-job prep work. (this isn't about "look at our values for 15 minutes," it's about interviews where the recruiter recommends a textbook to study beforehand.)

yes, and those complaints are overblown and dumb. recruiters say "know this type of material, here is where you can go if you don't already." That doesn't mean you have to do it. All "that stuff" is basic algorithmic/data structures proficiency that a standard computer science education gives you. Most non-juniors are rusty here because we don't actually use this stuff on the regular, but "refresh the conceptual fundamentals of your discipline" isn't some terrible ask. Algo-lottery implementations of these knowledge checks suck, bu that's more a per-interview problem and not a problem with asking people to be familiar with fundamentals. Same with the book designing data intensive applications, you don't actually have to read it if you already know how to design applications.

if you don't know the things that they want you to know to get the job, yes, you have to study. electricians have to know the electrical code, too, plumbers probably have to know stuff about pressure and pipes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this one will go a lot better if we can go find the article. i tried for 10 mins and couldnt

bdid we both know im not gonna read to clarify when i could just shitpost instead

ok maybe i would but i am pretty sure ive read the article. i could be very wrong ofc

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Achmed Jones posted:

i haven't interviewed since i started at google. i'm really salty about feeling like i have to start again, so im complaining about it on the internet instead of actually doing it

I have a friend at google who, rather than using it as a reason to move, has leaned into the catch-22 corporate structure he finds himself in and is hoping to get laid off some day. Pretty sure it means he’ll wind up being a lifer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am a moron posted:

I have a friend at google who, rather than using it as a reason to move, has leaned into the catch-22 corporate structure he finds himself in and is hoping to get laid off some day. Pretty sure it means he’ll wind up being a lifer

lol i want to learn his ways

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
a bit off topic but are googlers still trying to unionize? Or did the layoffs gut that

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

such truth. you can get a nice vacation out of an onsite

I wonder if I could pull a gambit where I tell somebody who tries to make me travel for work that I don't drive and am afraid of flying and get three overnights in an Amtrak sleeper car, on the clock

(Answer: no)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Achmed Jones posted:

lol i want to learn his ways

He seems pretty miserable tbh, hoping maybe it’s just his pride talking for now and I can convince him to work with me again sometime in the next year

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

a bit off topic but are googlers still trying to unionize? Or did the layoffs gut that

they did a minority union a while back that sucked all the air out of the room. some people suspect that the minority union was intended to do precisely that. i haven't heard anything about further organizing or upgrading to a real union, but i also stay far the gently caress away from that because i know exactly how union-busting companies operate, the minority union offers absolutely no protections, and i dont want to get fired

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i mentioned it before but everyone should interview once a year even (especially) if you dont need a new job

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Achmed Jones posted:

Algo-lottery implementations of these knowledge checks suck, bu that's more a per-interview problem

i think this is the point of contention? algo lotteries aren't uncommon or outliers, they're the status quo for the best-paying companies. surely that's not an accident, especially since things like ctci - which is specifically an algo lottery study guide, not a comp sci fundamentals textbook - is specifically recommended by recruiters for the algo lottery interviews. and i'm skeptical of the proposition that this extremely high variance algo lottery is the absolute best that anyone can do to gauge proficiency with fundamentals of the trade. tech majors have a lot of money and freedom to experiment - is this the best they can come up with? i'm more sympathetic to the counterargument that it is the best they can come up with, but they're solving a different problem than purely gauging fundamental competence.

bdid is right though, this isn't really a useful conversation to have without the original thing i was trying to find.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sales is always a lottery. pull the lever more, get less anxiety somehow, try to become better looking

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

sales is always a lottery. pull the lever more, get less anxiety somehow, try to become better looking

the dispute isn't whether it's sales, the dispute is about what the buyer is actually looking for

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
one of the most salient features about alienation is this sort of renormalization group densification sparsification thing about it where the factors that are less alienated (good lookin, dress correctly, confident - and the topic of discussion, compliant) have this increased ability to attract weighting compared to the highly alienated poo poo that matters (can code worth poo poo, doesnt get confused etc). so despite it being a craft skill you will get judged harder on appearance on the highly alienated jobs like putertouchin. just like how they proferred einstein over fermi and the others as The Father Of The Nuke in the pr campaign after they dropped the bomb cuz he looked like A Genius from central casting in addition to the actual contributions he made

i like to call it credit eutrophication. same poo poo happens with trophic nutrient flows in pond scum, formally, imo

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 13, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

raminasi posted:

i'm more sympathetic to the counterargument that it is the best they can come up with, but they're solving a different problem than purely gauging fundamental competence.

This is probably true to some degree, but it's probably also true that they're not very good at what they're trying to do.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

raminasi posted:

the dispute isn't whether it's sales, the dispute is about what the buyer is actually looking for

one doesn't ened to posit tenuous motivations, though. algo-lottery satisfies all of:

* cheap to implement
* guards against bias that is part of more subjective interview styles
* decently low false-acceptance rate

the big downside to algo lottery is a high false rejection rate. faangs do not care at all about this, because (1) their pipeline never dries up and (2) they let people come back and try again every 6 months or whatever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i will absolutely say that the non-bigtech startups and and so on who imitate faang hiring practices despite not having an endless pool of applicants are _really loving dumb_

i mean it still sucks to interview at a faang, but just:

(1) get baseline competency
(2) dont freak out with ctci or whatever, just know your poo poo
(3) i repeat, just be competent and know the fundamentals
(4) pull the lever until you win

choo choo all aboard the gravy train

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

one doesn't ened to posit tenuous motivations, though. algo-lottery satisfies all of:

* cheap to implement
* guards against bias that is part of more subjective interview styles
* decently low false-acceptance rate

the big downside to algo lottery is a high false rejection rate. faangs do not care at all about this, because (1) their pipeline never dries up and (2) they let people come back and try again every 6 months or whatever

great post

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

one of the most salient features about alienation is this sort of renormalization group densification sparsification thing about it where the factors that are less alienated (good lookin, dress correctly, confident - and the topic of discussion, compliant) have this increased ability to attract weighting compared to the highly alienated poo poo that matters (can code worth poo poo, doesnt get confused etc). so despite it being a craft skill you will get judged harder on appearance on the highly alienated jobs like putertouchin. just like how they proferred einstein over fermi and the others as The Father Of The Nuke in the pr campaign after they dropped the bomb cuz he looked like A Genius from central casting in addition to the actual contributions he made

i like to call it credit eutrophication. same poo poo happens with trophic nutrient flows in pond scum, formally, imo

top tier bdid post

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

I used to think this, and then I worked at a place where I was in a remote office one week a month (necessitating travel and jetlag adjustment over the weekends), and seriously my kingdom for my own bed and food that I've actually made myself :gonk:

yeah, gently caress regular work travel. i used to fly in to nyc for a week a month while living in the midwest, and it just left me absolutely hating nyc

on the interview side though, i once got a trading firm in chicago to fly me up to chicago on the condition that instead of a return flight, they send me on to madison, wi, for great taste of the midwest. had another interview with a west coast company booked for just after the festival, and they flew me from madison to sf, then from sf back home. that was a fun weekend.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol that's pro tier nudgenudgetilt, nice

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://leftalign.substack.com/p/are-tech-interviews-broken-or-is?s=w

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

that is the thing i was thinking of, thank you! let's see how accurate my recollection and summary were

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

quote:

If someone has graduated with a software degree, or gone through a bootcamp, or worked for many years in the field, or has their own Github projects — then that person can probably code.

LOL. i'll give you the later two.

the person who wrote that won't be happy until their life is paid for by the state and they optionally get to contribute back to society

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I went and interviewed with LEGO and was rejected on a third interview round. The reason? The case I presented wasn't enough. Which I mean, fair enough. Except the hiring manager told me to not do something amazing or polished, don't spend more than a couple of hours on it.

On top of this they were extremely slow to actually get around to the interviews. From first application to actual rejection? 1.5 months.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

champagne posting posted:

Except the hiring manager told me to not do something amazing or polished, don't spend more than a couple of hours on it.

you are allowed to just say things in business. the only place you're not allowed to lie is in contracts and the punishment is just money or performance

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I was pretty angry earlier but now that I think about it I really don't wanna work for a manager who says one thing then does another

edit: please don’t put in the newspaper I got mad

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 13, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

agreed , but i still gotta test something so it's more sane/real than whatever algo of the month is

(the "chickens that wont eat their own eggs" allegory is also kinda badly put together/very smug but that's an aside)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

a friend hooked me up with a lead on a position at her workplace so i got an interview this wednesday. this place does a 4 day work week so i am hoping it works out lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

four tens or something?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

no that's the crazy part, it's just a 32 hour work week

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

polyester concept posted:

a friend hooked me up with a lead on a position at her workplace so i got an interview this wednesday. this place does a 4 day work week so i am hoping it works out lol

Wednesday is the day nobody works. This is a prank.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Zoom disabled the "blur background" filter for my PC because it's from an unsupported Intel core generation (2nd), even though my core is i7-2700K, the fastest possible for its generation, and it can play nearly all modern games just fine. Also, Microsoft Teams blurs my background just fine. Right now I'm thinking about telehealth meeting that allows using my phone instead, but that's a little concerning for possible future interviews that may require Zoom and doing something on a desktop

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

just get a curtain for your funkopop shelves

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Don't use blur who gives a poo poo unless you've got a sex dungeon behind you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I agree, don't use blur

but unless you have the space or time to curate what is behind you use a custom background

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If I had a camera, you'd just barely be able to see my nightstand behind me, two rooms away. I'd have a hard time not putting weird stuff back there for people to do pretend they didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use a picture of poodle jones sitting in the chair that is really indeed behind me. but the chair is centered better and there's no toys other clutter in the way. actually that's what i used to use - these days i use a picture of poodle jones biting a bubble in the back yard