Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's some very bad stuff in there but at least all the posters are disagreeing with each other. The really bad hn threads are ones where everyone is posting the same horrible stuff and agreeing with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

quote:

moose_man 1 hour ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Military shoots down another high-altitude object,...

China could do the same thing if they wanted. That isn't a good excuse to violate national airspace. Maybe they want to intercept cell phone data.

quote:

georgeg23 26 minutes ago | prev [–]

And try to compete with Starship??

Judging from Alibaba, airships are more Chinese specialty.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
88913527 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Toxic gases connected to Ohio train derailment cause concern

> I think we as a society need to come to the realization that growth demands can't always be met by piling more costs and work on people. Much of that rock has been squeezed dry, we need to start looking and managing expectations based on growth from new innovative process changes, technology, or shifts in cultural expectations as far as growth goes, at least that's my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Not that I disagree with you, but me and many others are planning our retirements accounts around assumptions of 8-9% growth. Stock market returns and real economic productivity aren't the same thing, but I think it would be deeply challenging for us to change course. Low growth creates a lot of new issues which are debatably worse than the axles-on-fire problem, but this is a conterfactual argument.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

88913527 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Toxic gases connected to Ohio train derailment cause concern

> I think we as a society need to come to the realization that growth demands can't always be met by piling more costs and work on people. Much of that rock has been squeezed dry, we need to start looking and managing expectations based on growth from new innovative process changes, technology, or shifts in cultural expectations as far as growth goes, at least that's my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Not that I disagree with you, but me and many others are planning our retirements accounts around assumptions of 8-9% growth. Stock market returns and real economic productivity aren't the same thing, but I think it would be deeply challenging for us to change course. Low growth creates a lot of new issues which are debatably worse than the axles-on-fire problem, but this is a conterfactual argument.

This was funny and then I noticed the thread title and extra lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

" Ask HN: AI “white mirror” – what are some inspiring future visions you've seen?"

quote:

notmindthegap 18 minutes ago | prev [–]

AI babysitter for infants to supplement – not replace – parents. Captures audio / biometrics and responds to the baby with targeted music, positive affirmations, cooing, etc, to promote positive emotional state. Also notifies parents of states that require their intervention, like hunger, soiled diaper, abnormal vitals, inconsolability. Parents can take a break, watch a movie, entertain friends, etc, with the comfort of knowing their baby is being intelligently monitored. Existing baby monitors are way more noise than signal.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Eh, probably would outperform sticking youtube in the kids face but lmao

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

nvrgrls posted:

" Ask HN: AI “white mirror” – what are some inspiring future visions you've seen?"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

elif 15 minutes ago [–]

As someone who has only worked in "right to work" states, it always strikes me as absurd that people seek "job security" through a 3rd party agency rather than by individual performance and developing personal relationships.
Honestly a big part of why I quit my last job was too many unproductive/unreliable coworkers.

Am I just Stockholm Syndromed?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

distortion park posted:

elif 15 minutes ago [–]

As someone who has only worked in "right to work" states, it always strikes me as absurd that people seek "job security" through a 3rd party agency rather than by individual performance and developing personal relationships.
Honestly a big part of why I quit my last job was too many unproductive/unreliable coworkers.

that fuckin dude

elif 10 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I'm not trying to say everyone that got let go is a low performer or has poor personal skills. I've seen plenty of good employees fired for bad or no reason.
I guess what I'm trying to say, is that even working with a guillotine above my head feels preferable to having to pick up the slack of people coasting and not meeting their commitments.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that fuckin thread

abduhl 18 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Why is it only the heirs? Shouldn’t your issue be with all future stockholders beyond the original founders and venture capitalists? Although I assume you’d feel similar about the venture capitalists?
You wouldn’t happen to own any stocks, would you?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

distortion park posted:

elif 15 minutes ago [–]

is this about unions or contractors?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unions, apparently

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

sashank_1509 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

The obligatory LGBTQ nonsense, “Rust has more trans and queer coders” is so tiring. Is there some 4chan-esque programming language that actually discourages queer people from using their language? In fact, is there any programming language forum that’s not friendly to “n00bs”. My guess is every language is friendly to “n00bs” in the forums and this doesn’t make Rust any more special than other languages (Note this has nothing to do with whether the language is actually easy to pick up, only whether people on forums are friendly to beginners)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

The obligatory LGBTQ nonsense, “Rust has more trans and queer coders” is so tiring. Is there some 4chan-esque programming language that actually discourages queer people from using their language? In fact, is there any programming language forum that’s not friendly to “n00bs”. My guess is every language is friendly to “n00bs” in the forums and this doesn’t make Rust any more special than other languages (Note this has nothing to do with whether the language is actually easy to pick up, only whether people on forums are friendly to beginners)

ive gotten the impression that scala is typically like that

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i mean other than it only being used by projects started in 2012-2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

Unions, apparently

I’ve always wondered how to best rebrand unions as something like “employee owned staffing agencies” to best make libertarians have aneurysms

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

LISP

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
established pl forums inevitably have a bunch of experts who’ve thoroughly internalized all the random language jargon and want to argue endlessly about pretty obscure stuff, often with an eye towards influencing the future of the language. that’s naturally balanced out by newbies showing up and asking embarrassingly simple questions (that are often really revealing). the experts can easily answer the newbie questions but it takes real work to get them to just do that instead of making biting posts about how that specific question was most recently answered on july 18th 2021. when the language goes into decline and the newbies stop showing up then the experts take over and really grovel in being utterly impenetrable

but scala specifically was always full of jerks

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

hobbesmaster posted:

I’ve always wondered how to best rebrand unions as something like “employee owned staffing agencies” to best make libertarians have aneurysms

"i have a cheap subscription to a private agency that vets prospective customers and enforces terms of use for my professional services"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

"i have a cheap subscription to a private agency that vets prospective customers and enforces terms of use for my professional services"

“I make sure my employer signs a binding arbitration agreement”

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

kragen 3 minutes ago | next [–]

naloxone was patented in 01961 and known to prevent death from opiate overdose by 01971
how many people have been killed in the usa by its prescription-only status over the last 52 years
for that matter, how many opiate overdose deaths would be avoided if you could buy pure, safe heroin of known concentration over the counter instead of depending on organized crime not to put too much fentanyl in it

padding years with a 0 has to be one of the most bizarre but completely HN behaviors I've see

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
totally plausible: someone still reading your hn posts 8000 years from now might be confused about the ubiquitous use of four-digit years

conceited beyond any need to consider: someone still reading your hn posts 98,000 years from now might be confused by your single digit of zero padding

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i know when i read about the collapse of the western roman empire in 476 ce, i am just totally confused about which millennium it happens in

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

he’s right about supervised injection sorts of programs, though

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

the best thing about leading-zero-guy is that he doesn't do it on his own blog. it's purely a HN affect

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
he might just be loving with hn then rather than being a weirdo

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jose Valasquez posted:

The obligatory LGBTQ nonsense,

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

padding years with a 0 has to be one of the most bizarre but completely HN behaviors I've see

It's something promoted by the Long Now Foundation, a group promoting "long-term thinking" which just happens to be backed by a lot of the people into the "effective altruism" movement.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i gave up on elden ring a few months ago because i sucked at it too much. but then i restarted it yesterday and got to a point that it had taken me like 6 hours to get to with only a couple of deaths. felt good! practice makes perfect i guess

e: lol this isn't the james thread

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
there's a metaphor for reading HN in there somewhete

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

they'd still get mad about 'DEI' except now it'd be 'Dung Eater Imprisonment'

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Hammerite posted:

The obligatory LGBTQ nonsense,

prefixing all my emails & slack msgs with this

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

ncphil 5 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The end of Type 1 fonts

"No longer support writing on papyrus, in favor of more modern vellum based media."

And then, the Dark Ages.

Of course, backwards compatibilty will be maintained: at least to the end of the century?

Digital culture is already so ethereal, fragile, that you have to wonder if millennia from now our descendents may posit this period as another "dark age" because none of what we've generated since the 90s will remain (or be decypherable).

edit: a rare good post:

madeofpalk 6 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The end of Type 1 fonts

> It does not burden a system to have it.

Any and all software is a burden.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 21, 2023

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
allturtles 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Sci-fi mag pauses submissions amid flood of AI-generated short stories

The floodgates are now open for all the people who believe they have it in them to be great writers, if only it weren't for all of that tedious writing. As if the value in writing consists mainly in having an idea. This is much like people who believe that their great business idea is (by itself) worth millions.

unsupp0rted 2 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

What does the value in writing mainly consist of?
Edit: currently this question is at -3, as though it’s obvious to everyone the difference between valuable writing and not valuable writing.

To me it’s a worthwhile question, particularly because the more precisely we answer it the more precisely ChatGPT will become able to produce valuable writing a couple releases from now.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

knodi123 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> Then again, I've read that 4% of Americans believe they could win a fight with a Grizzly bear.

I bet I could. Maybe on a good day. Not, like, 9 times out of 10, but maybe 1 or 2. Sure, he outranks me in muscles and claws, but I can out-think him, and really, isn't our brain our most powerful muscle? Much like how the powerful and crafty coyote is more than capable of catching a roadrunner, even though the bird is ostensibly faster.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

> Then again, I've read that 4% of Americans believe they could win a fight with a Grizzly bear.

I bet I could. Maybe on a good day. Not, like, 9 times out of 10, but maybe 1 or 2. Sure, he outranks me in muscles and claws, but I can out-think him, and really, isn't our brain our most powerful muscle? Much like how the powerful and crafty coyote is more than capable of catching a roadrunner, even though the bird is ostensibly faster.
I mean the original survey specified "unarmed" or something, but if you take that out then sure, just go to walmart and get a gun

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

mystes posted:

I mean the original survey specified "unarmed" or something, but if you take that out then sure, just go to walmart and get a gun

I'm betting the vast majority of HN posters couldn't win a fight with a bear even if they had a gun

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

not according to those documentaries i watched as a kid

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Truman Peyote posted:

not according to those documentaries i watched as a kid

brain muscle didn’t help Elmer Fudd catch the wascawy wabbit either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jfoutz 14 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Let's set aside that it's Meta for a moment. Any company with multiple rounds of layoffs is unhealthy. Think Chrysler in the 70's pre Iacocca. They face troubles that leadership is incapable of handling. Companies like that get sold and broken out for parts. Or, some have major shakeups with leadership and come back as something else.
Meta, of course, is different. Leadership made a few mistakes, sure, but they're more than ready to cope with changes to social media in the face of tools like ChatGPT available to everyone. Facebook and Instagram will continue to provide excellent paths for advertisers to target consumers. And you can be sure they're innovating behind the scenes. Surely we'll see powerful new products and innovations in the coming months and years.