Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao dont worry you won in the end

man it seems like this thing is really gonna hit its stride when i get all the custom functions and whatnot set up. i loving _hate_ menu diving in radios/cameras/things in general, but it feels like most everything i want is controllable either by an actual physical control or has the control design thought out in such a way that i don't need to menu dive so much as "gently caress with the virtual AF type knob." I have a hard time explaining the difference but it feels salient to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
yeah i get what you mean. it looks like they added an extra custom function button to it too :cool: they're pretty useful but you can kind of "set it and forget it" once you find some combination of settings that works for you. mostly i use those for turning on focus peaking and zebra striping since there are dedicated buttons for most other common functions. it's good i think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

the second one looks kind of muddy and flat to me,

i don’t disagree. the super short DoF and extremely early morning light means there’s some nice orange/pink but it blurs quickly into grey where there’s no nice light and yeah end up with what you’ve described.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It looks muddy and flat because someone edited it to look muddy and flat....

You are complaining about your own editing decisions

Megabound fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 14, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

welcome to my life

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Megabound posted:

this is me, but programming

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i think your cherry blossom photos just need a bit of tonal curve editing echi, they are otherwise good

i didn't even really need to do much to it and i think this is an improvement:

just as an example. megabound's is fine too but a bit too contrasty imo, which is sort of ironic for echipics lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao so you know how i was like "i'm done with buying poo poo for a while"

ms jones got me an adorama gift card for valentines day

hell yes :getin:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mulling over new camera vs maybe new lens for existing camera

i have a canon 60d, which is like 12 years old but still a decent camera. i have a nifty 50 and the 24-105 f4L lens, which I think is the cheapest L lens they did but still takes real nice shots.

so maybe i’ll buy their 100mm macro lens. or maybe just get a mirrorless camera. i really like the retro look of fujifilm’s cameras, plus the fake film effects look pretty great to me.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i haven't used the fuji cameras myself (though i suppose i could go over to adorama or b&h and check one out) but i was talking to former yosposter sulk a bit and he claims the ergonomics are terrible

as far as new bodies go it kind of depends on your price range. the 60D is indeed pretty dated at this point and even a mid-range mirrorless will probably perform better

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am torn between a Real Macro Lens (that also doubles as a normal prime) and a landscape lens

i'm worried that the macro lens might end up like my extension tube: too hard to use to be much fun. on the other hand, it's just a 30mm (60mm ff equivalent) prime with a decently wide (2.8) aperture so i feel like it could have a lot of utility beyond macro.

and for landscape stuff, it kind of feels like i should get a cheapo manual prime, seems to me like autofocus is not all that important when you're shooting valleys. bees move, trees much less so

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 14, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i posted some landscape pics before but imgur is being insanely slow for me today for some reason so i'm not sure which is which

i primarily use a fully manual 12mm/2.8 meike lens for that. it's fantastic imo, no idea which specific model it is though because it was a gift

since they're not loading fully for me atm and i literally can't upload new examples i cant really comment on them at the moment, but iirc i posted them unprocessed, which should give you a decent idea of the lens' capability

and just to get it out of the way: lens dirty, so what

e: ok after about 3 loving minutes they loaded lol. i cant be certain of course (NO-LENS :haw:) but i'm 99% sure they're all 12mm. lemme see if i can get some other shots from the same trip to upload, i did a few at 85mm, 50mm 20mm and 25mm also

e2: lol. nope, gently caress you imgur (i'll try again later)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 14, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also re: zoom lenses — they're fine. they're okay. some are great. i just prefer primes lol

they are simply faster and typically i can fit around 4 or 5 into a pretty tiny camera bag

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i like just carrying an 18-300 or 200-500 though. dont gotta switchy switch. the 18-300 takes pretty dogshit photos tho

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah i mean obviously i do have a handful of zoom lenses, but i don't really use them much. 18-300 is a pretty wild focal range though lol

the longest one i have for MFT is 45-200 (so, 90-400 equivalent). it's pretty good, but it's also f/4-5.6; the aperture range is pretty limited

as a result it's pretty hard to pull off something stylistically interesting with it. which is fine, and it takes perfectly acceptable photos,

but that's it really. it's fine for what it is. it's not great

also since i just found out i can upload to imgur again, i can post some more pics from montauk if anyone is interested

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

mulling over new camera vs maybe new lens for existing camera

i have a canon 60d, which is like 12 years old but still a decent camera. i have a nifty 50 and the 24-105 f4L lens, which I think is the cheapest L lens they did but still takes real nice shots.

so maybe i’ll buy their 100mm macro lens. or maybe just get a mirrorless camera. i really like the retro look of fujifilm’s cameras, plus the fake film effects look pretty great to me.

i had the canon 100mm macro and enjoyed using it

also have a fuji xt30 and like it. it's tiny and hard to hold, but i wanted a small camera. the film simulations are great

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got the macro, i am excited

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

went snowshoeing today

DSCF1534

DSCF1518

DSCF1528

here's a preview of one with colors. sign up to my onlyfans for more

DSCF1523

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:discourse:

no notes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo those are great

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:actually: one note

they look pretty baller with an infrared grayscale LUT applied but because of the compression my version looks like rear end

just saying. the red(? orange?) looks good too

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

thanks friends

beef, try uploading one as a png? i can send you the raw of one if you want to play with it. i did use the acros film sim with red filter

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

satan did you use a plugin or whatever for your film sim, or was it built in to the camera?

beef, do you know of a way to have the same on-camera presets for filters and stuff to apply in post? i know i could just take the pictures with filters and hit the "save unaltered version" button but it'd be dope if panasonic/lumix just provides some presets or whatever

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 15, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

thanks friends

beef, try uploading one as a png? i can send you the raw of one if you want to play with it. i did use the acros film sim with red filter

i mean from the flickr download, it appears to be jpeg compression artifacts:

if you wanna post the raw or a png i'll give it a go if you want though. i was just kinda curious to see what it'd look like :shobon:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

satan did you use a plugin or whatever for your film sim, or was it built in to the camera?

beef, do you know of a way to have the same on-camera presets for filters and stuff to apply in post? i know i could just take the pictures with filters and hit the "save unaltered version" button but it'd be dope if panasonic/lumix just provides some presets or whatever

the camera has the film simulations built in, and lightroom also lets me apply the film sim to the raw files. there are various places to get the sims for whatever editor you like as well, but they won't be ~official~

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean from the flickr download, it appears to be jpeg compression artifacts:

if you wanna post the raw or a png i'll give it a go if you want though. i was just kinda curious to see what it'd look like :shobon:
have at it. always liked the look of IR [removed]

lmk when you have it so i can delete from dropbox

e; dropbox/firefox can display raws?? :eyepop:

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 15, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

cheers, got it. gimme a few minutes

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

these are sweet, especially the last one. i love some good snow pics but I'm very bad at shooting snow

e: actually the more i look the more i really like the first too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

so til that ios 16.3 does not support fuji RAW decoding lol

as a result i had to use adobe camera raw via photoshop to import it, kicked it back to pixelmator to apply the LUT, then back to photoshop to mask off the sky to enhance the contrast (i left the RAW as is, so the result was a little different from the JPEG)

admittedly i did this super quickly so the mask isn't perfect (particularly around the tree on the right), but it should give you a dece idea of what i was visualizing

very cool. thanks for sharing :)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

IR kicks rear end

makes me want to get some old camera someone modded for it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

you can get a similar result using an orange filter (lightroom has a preset for this) and then using the same mask/multiply method i did

but that's because the scene is primarily blue. obviously that won't work in all cases but in this instance it will

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

so maybe i’ll buy their 100mm macro lens.

Ive used that. is it 105mm f/2.8?

it’s a very nice lens. nice and sharp. used it for first portrait sesh. would get again except already got a lens

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

There's a video posted on r/Analog and the objectification of women in photography that is worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqS1NNDgyoY

I agree broadly with her points other than r/Analog being a valuable community

anyone know if this has been reuploaded in a way I can watch. im home now and am interested

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i don't think this photo get's across how big this buddha is. how do y'all manage perspective in tight spaces?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

i don't think this photo get's across how big this buddha is. how do y'all manage perspective in tight spaces?

get a wide angle lens

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i took this photo with my phone. it’s kinda boring but the sky colours were nice

what bothers me is the perspective distortion. of course it’s difficult to avoid without using a massive telephoto and being miles away, but it is true that I love the long (lens)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
purposeful limitation breeds profound creativity that's why I only shoot with one lens
heres some wood

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

perspective distortion

gently caress perspective distortion

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

*reading thread*

i like cmaera

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i wanna be doing shooting and there are a few people who are keen to do some work with me but fuckin life man. so much other poo poo. really bumming me out. too much bum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

life would be a lot better if i didn't have to waste it working on crap i don't care about

my flickr could have like.. six more pictures in it