Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mauser posted:

i couldn't tell apart those two guys in the prestige

You mean the twins or the clones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Annabel Pee posted:

Honestly they don't usually but for some reason in that film they do happen to look more like each other than usual.

Like imagine these two guys dressed similar and running around shooting each other.

I mean, that's kind of part of the whole premise of the movie that they're alike.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
They're similar enough in general but one of them is constantly clean cut and well-dressed (despite being the corrupt cop) while the other one is working undercover and is stressing out, abusing anxiety meds, constantly has bags under his eyes, stubble, etc.

I get confusion from stills or posters I guess but in the context of the film they really don't behave or look much alike once the plot gets rolling. Leo had a much more cop haircut when he was actually in the police academy at the start of the film though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

You mean the twins or the clones?

Crazy how they found four people who look like Edward Norton for that film

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Randalor posted:

Same for me, but it was Steve Martin and Martin Short when talking about Only Murders in the Building.

What's weird about their names is that, if you list them by their first names only, you get:

Steve
Martin

If you list them by their last names only, you get:

Martin
Short

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's weird about their names is that, if you list them by their first names only, you get:

Steve
Martin

If you list them by their last names only, you get:

Martin
Short

They should work this into some kind of tour they do together.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Or maybe do some sort of a decades long comedic team up and collaboration thing. That'd be funny.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

Or maybe do some sort of a decades long comedic team up and collaboration thing. That'd be funny.

Narrator: It would not

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

credburn posted:

They should work this into some kind of tour they do together.

I have not seen any of their live stuff, apologies if this is already stuff they brought up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Is King Tut canceled or no?

edit: just watched a clip of it for the first time in like twenty years and wow somehow worse than I remembered or expected?

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Feb 14, 2023

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

credburn posted:

Is King Tut canceled or no?

edit: just watched a clip of it for the first time in like twenty years and wow somehow worse than I remembered or expected?

A lot of comedy has a shelf life because the medium evolves and the acceptable targets shift. Older movies, as groundbreaking as some of them were at the time, often fall flat because other filmmakers learned from them and have been using the same tricks for decades now. Many kids today aren't impressed by Aliens, because they're garbage a lot of the really cool stuff has been coopted and filtered through other media.

In the same way, comedy evolves and older stuff can start to seem simple and stupid, and you feel like you were dumb in the past. Which is true. We were all dumb in the past.

Steve Martin and Martin Short are both humor for boomers, and as time moves on you can really, really tell. Although personally I maintain that Martin Short has never been funny.

Side note: I've only had airline food a few times in my life and it's always been pretty good, actually. 'The deal' is that our brains read taste buds differently at high altitude and that wasn't known at the time. If you've got a free drink or money, get a bloody Mary because they're fantastic up there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beachcomber posted:

Side note: I've only had airline food a few times in my life and it's always been pretty good, actually. 'The deal' is that our brains read taste buds differently at high altitude and that wasn't known at the time. If you've got a free drink or money, get a bloody Mary because they're fantastic up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxBMokW8VZI

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I had no problem telling Matt and Leo apart in The Departed. In the original film, Infernal Affairs, I couldn't tell anyone apart! And I'm half Chinese!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

poonchasta posted:

I had no problem telling Matt and Leo apart in The Departed. In the original film, Infernal Affairs, I couldn't tell anyone apart! And I'm half Chinese!

The other half is racist.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The other half is racist.

Yes, I am half white.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Beachcomber posted:

A lot of comedy has a shelf life because the medium evolves and the acceptable targets shift. Older movies, as groundbreaking as some of them were at the time, often fall flat because other filmmakers learned from them and have been using the same tricks for decades now. Many kids today aren't impressed by Aliens, because they're garbage a lot of the really cool stuff has been coopted and filtered through other media.

Kids aren't impressed with good movies like aliens because much like we were they're dumb as hell

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kids aren't impressed with good movies like aliens because much like we were they're dumb as hell

I wasn't impressed by Alien because it came out 5 years before I was born. :colbert:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

I wasn't impressed by Alien because it came out 5 years before I was born. :colbert:

That's on you, pal

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

Steve Martin and Martin Short are both humor for boomers, and as time moves on you can really, really tell. Although personally I maintain that Martin Short has never been funny.

Watch the three amigos. He's pretty great in it.

There was some other movie he did where he's some dude with horrible luck and he teams up with Danny glover? I think, to find this guys daughter that got lost in a plane crash. It was also good but holy poo poo I'm blanking on the name.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
gently caress that. My 12 year old loves Alien movies.

Because I raised him right

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Steve Martin
Martin Short

The Steve is the Martin
The Martin is the Short
The Steve is not the Short

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Captain Monkey posted:

I like many movies older than I am, including Alien. I think the bigger issue is that it isn't an action movie (second one barely qualifies) and that's what most people are expecting when they watch sci fi and then are disappointed when they get something else.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Is this a Doom/Switch thread reference?

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 12:41 on Feb 15, 2023

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The Steve is the Martin
The Martin is the Short
The Steve is not the Short

What a world it would be if we had a Steve Short to complete the set

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There was some other movie he did where he's some dude with horrible luck and he teams up with Danny glover? I think, to find this guys daughter that got lost in a plane crash. It was also good but holy poo poo I'm blanking on the name.

Pure Luck. He gets stung by a bee and turns into Fat Bastard.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The theoretical Steve Short implies the existence of a theoretical Martin Martin.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Won't anyone spare a thought for Short Steve?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
And a Short Steve

e:gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hmm, a simultaneous Short Steve occurrence. That can't be a good sign

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Amphigory posted:

What a world it would be if we had a Steve Short to complete the set

We would need a Short Steve to complete the loop though.

E: I really need to read the thread.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Baron von Eevl posted:

The theoretical Steve Short implies the existence of a theoretical Martin Martin.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Watch the three amigos. He's pretty great in it.

Also inner space

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

It's me, the only person on earth who liked Clifford with Martin Short.

I was 11, if that helps (or hurts).

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Subtle moment. In Clifford, the ten-year-old titular character was actually played by 40-year-old Martin Short! Most people couldn't even tell!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait, is Martin Short's arch enemy Justin Long?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Eclipse12 posted:

It's me, the only person on earth who liked Clifford with Martin Short.

I was 11, if that helps (or hurts).

It was kind of funny watching Charles Grodin attempt to murder a child with a dinosaur ride at an amusement park, but also the child was just Martin Short. Just 40-year-old Martin Short, not really disguised as a child despite playing a child.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Baron von Eevl posted:

they even wrote a song about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMGPoAq-pSY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I always found Martin Short vaguely creepy and Ive always imagined he acts like his character in Mars Attacks! in real life