Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

quiggy posted:

the correct game in the series to start with is elden ring. it's got the highest build variety out of any game in the series and the open world structure means if you come up against something you're struggling with you can bail and go do something else. plus it's got the friendliest respec system in the series (trade an uncommon-but-not-crazy-rare resource to the second major boss of the game after defeating them to reallocate all your stats) and a weapon upgrade system that actually feels like it was designed by a human being
there's an identifiable "second" boss? i thought the whole point of ER was that order is bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

there's an identifiable "second" boss? i thought the whole point of ER was that order is bullshit

whomever told you that lied to you

the second boss is the moon witch in the wizard library

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there's a bunch of areas you can do out of order, but the major bosses have an obvious intended order despite being able to break that order if your build is op or you're a souls savant

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ciaphas posted:

the game is open world but zone-based, and each of the major zones has a major boss (major in both design complexity as well as plot significance). technically you don't need to do these in any particular order, outside of needing to kill at least two of the first five that are available, but >90% of players are gonna do it in a specific order

spoilery info:

the "shardbearer" bosses are Godrick, Rennala, Rykard, Morgott, Radahn, Mohg, and Malenia. the last two are strictly optional, and the first five are all individually optional but you must kill at least two to access Leyndell, which unlocks the second half of the game. most players will kill Godrick first and Rennala second even though it's not mandatory

e: actually im dumb you can't do morgott before leyndell either, so i guess it's two out of four need to be killed before then

quiggy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 14, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

it's kinda like how most breath of the wild players do the zora divine beast first and the gerudo one last even though you absolutely can leave the plateau and head directly for the desert

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quiggy posted:

it's kinda like how most breath of the wild players do the zora divine beast first and the gerudo one last even though you absolutely can leave the plateau and head directly for the desert
i did the birb first and the camel second, can't remember the order of the other two

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

dioxazine posted:

you got us all killed??

i quite like SRTS as well, but not a fan of the bighuge large ones or the final ship, the genesis. there's an balloon and dirigible mod that i've had my eye on, but it still wasn't finished when i last checked

wrong, genesis owns

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's an aesthetic choice okay

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hmm, the new Labyrinth Of game just dropped on steam. this one (Galleria) is supposed to be really good but the last one (Refrain) is like hyper-edgy and gross. i've heard this one is less bad about that?? anyone know anything about it

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

dioxazine posted:

i quite like SRTS as well, but not a fan of the bighuge large ones or the final ship, the genesis. there's an balloon and dirigible mod that i've had my eye on, but it still wasn't finished when i last checked

ive been using transport shuttle standalone, which changes the game a great deal but still feels thematically appropriate -- if the colony can eventually build a starship with an ai persona, a chemfuel-powered shuttle to fly around makes perfect sense also

not to mention the lack of cars or other ground transportation of course, i get that rimworld is heavily inspired by firefly/serenity and that "wild west in space" aesthetic with pack animals, but ffs if you can build a wind turbine and a gas-powered generator (both in the game in vanilla) you can build a car and even mount a minigun on the top if things get dicey while traveling

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Anybody else here played Ctrl Alt Ego? It's pretty solid.

The "lol software" humor is so thick that the thickness is a joke itself, and the early game could've lightened up with the "it's an immersive sim! Solve problems however you want to!!!" a bit. But overall it's definitely worth checking out if you liked games like Prey.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

quiggy posted:

i think 90% of players do zora first yeah, but tbh i don't think it is very consistent from there. i did gerudo second and rito last myself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quiggy posted:

the game is open world but zone-based, and each of the major zones has a major boss (major in both design complexity as well as plot significance). technically you don't need to do these in any particular order, outside of needing to kill at least two of the first five that are available, but >90% of players are gonna do it in a specific order

spoilery info:

the "shardbearer" bosses are Godrick, Rennala, Rykard, Morgott, Radahn, Mohg, and Malenia. the last two are strictly optional, and the first five are all individually optional but you must kill at least two to access Leyndell, which unlocks the second half of the game. most players will kill Godrick first and Rennala second even though it's not mandatory

e: actually im dumb you can't do morgott before leyndell either, so i guess it's two out of four need to be killed before then
i played 40+ hours and had zero idea where to go or what to do after Godrick. no idea who the gently caress any of those names are or where they'd be. the gold lights at the not-bonfires led me to a dead end and, by turns, Caelid, which was so loving awful i quit the game

mixing an open world and From-ian vague direction just did not work for me at all after the initial wow factor

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Fool posted:

whomever told you that lied to you

the second boss is the moon witch in the wizard library
no one "told me that", literally every poster on SA spouts the line of "just go somewhere else" all the goddamned time so i never had any indication whatsoever that a boss order existed beyond "godrick first, probably"

but then i'm a dense loving brainless autistic idiot, so

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

so you’re the target audience lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

i played 40+ hours and had zero idea where to go or what to do after Godrick. no idea who the gently caress any of those names are or where they'd be. the gold lights at the not-bonfires led me to a dead end and, by turns, Caelid, which was so loving awful i quit the game

mixing an open world and From-ian vague direction just did not work for me at all after the initial wow factor

how did you not find Rennala at the very least, the post-Godrick Sites of Grace point you straight towards her

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

no one "told me that", literally every poster on SA spouts the line of "just go somewhere else" all the goddamned time so i never had any indication whatsoever that a boss order existed beyond "godrick first, probably"

the go somewhere else bit is talking about other areas in the open world

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

I mean, when I said that I generally meant "gently caress off and do some minor dungeons" because each area is absolutely brimming with them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

how did you not find Rennala at the very least, the post-Godrick Sites of Grace point you straight towards her
they pointed me to a locked gate in a sunken castle in a swamp north of godrick. i never found a way in, figured i had to find an alternate route or a key off path, and it was downhill from there

jesus WEP posted:

so you’re the target audience lol
when people or devs say games need to be designed for the stupidest most basic lowest common denominator of an unobservant human alive, i'm who they mean

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The lost grace sites point you to your next objective but if you speak to NPCs they'll say stuff about dungeons, enemies, or just random things you can go explore and find.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The lost grace sites point you to your next objective but if you speak to NPCs they'll say stuff about dungeons, enemies, or just random things you can go explore and find.
random things like the key to move past the locked gate where the grace was trying to aim me? ... is what i thought at the time

idk. i probably didn't follow the grace right, or something. wouldn't be surprised, it's me we're talking about; so nevermind, i'm sorry for bringing up this entire subject

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dioxazine posted:

you got us all killed??

No you all are still there, I just went on vacation and also ran out of fun things to do in the game. Might swap the narrator out to randy to spice it up.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

they pointed me to a locked gate in a sunken castle in a swamp north of godrick. i never found a way in, figured i had to find an alternate route or a key off path, and it was downhill from there

when people or devs say games need to be designed for the stupidest most basic lowest common denominator of an unobservant human alive, i'm who they mean

wait, you figured out how to get up on the altus plateau all on your own but you couldn't figure out how to jump over the shaded castle's wall?

Ciaphas posted:

random things like the key to move past the locked gate where the grace was trying to aim me? ... is what i thought at the time

idk. i probably didn't follow the grace right, or something. wouldn't be surprised, it's me we're talking about; so nevermind, i'm sorry for bringing up this entire subject

the NPC in the church right after Godrick talks all about how he wants to get back inside the Academy of Raya Lucaria and how they sealed the entraces and how you need an Academy Glintstone Key to get in

even if you don't talk to him, when you follow the graces to the Academy of Raya Lucaria's sealed gate there's a map on the corpse right next to the gate that says this dead guy really wanted a glintstone key to get into the academy

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

No you all are still there, I just went on vacation and also ran out of fun things to do in the game. Might swap the narrator out to randy to spice it up.

randy is always the best choice. though i thought i died of old age or something

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

wait, you figured out how to get up on the altus plateau all on your own but you couldn't figure out how to jump over the shaded castle's wall?
after godrick i went out behind the castle and found a busted bridge with a side drop toward a cliffside path, which i followed to get up to where that mage or whatever was bitching about not having a key, as well as a grace thingy. it pointed further north, taking me to the swampy village & gate, then i said "alright, where's the loving key?" and got lost wandering all around the map trying to find it or a way around the gate

never found it, barely even care anymore. can't remember what an altus plateau is or any of those other names, either, it's been months. probably someone'll tell me "it was right there you clod" and i'll feel nice n stupid for missing the obvious again

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

never found it, barely even care anymore. can't remember what an altus plateau is or any of those other names, either, it's been months. probably someone'll tell me "it was right there you clod" and i'll feel nice n stupid for missing the obvious again

it was hiding behind a big dragon in the swampy area :ssh: (which is huge, and difficult to pinpoint where you were vs. where the dragon was)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Video Nasty posted:

it was hiding behind a big dragon in the swampy area :ssh: (which is huge, and difficult to pinpoint where you were vs. where the dragon was)
only dragons i ever saw were dead ones, and the one near the starting area with the teleport-to-caelid-mines trap chest. jumped me practically outta nowhere, which was pretty funny in retrospect, at least

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

polyester concept posted:

i never played dark souls 2 at launch, i've only played the scholar of the first sin edition. apparently at launch it was bad but the new edition fixed enough things that it's a proper game now. coming from dark souls 1, the starting environments don't feel dark souls-y at all - it's all like daytime and bright and colorful lol. but later on it gets proper dark. dark souls if you will

I really enjoyed DS2 when it first came out. I remember the weapon degradation being tuned up super high, so I carried around multiple weapons and repair powder so my weapons wouldn't break constantly. Also the shrine of Amana is one of my favourite areas in the whole series.

I wish the devs had had a bit more time to work on it. There's a few places that are a bit rough, like some rooms in the game are just featureless boxes, which looks really bad compared with some of the amazing outdoor areas.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
There's a map on a corpse right by the gate into raya lucaria that shows you where the key is, it's over in the key item section of your inventory so it can be easy to miss that you picked it up if you aren't paying attention.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

souls games reward the player for exploring and looking for secrets so if you’re already a fan of dark souls it feels natural to look behind every building or off the side of every ledge and uncover every loving rock. this is where most new players get stuck in elden ring i think because it’s easy to assume the game will naturally guide you, not just to the next objective but also towards any helpful items. the ironic thing is that it kinda literally does guide you if you follow the grace trails on the map. but even still if you don’t explore you can miss things - like on reddit someone posted that they got really far without even collecting a single map piece which is hilarious but also kinda blows my mind because I’m pretty sure they’re all right along the main roads. idk how anyone can miss entire bosses though because if you walk around enough eventually you will find a huge building or castle and that basically means there will be a big bad guy inside

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn’t learn how great runes work until well after clearing the game

because you have to learn 3 or 4 pieces of info to put it together and I got those days or weeks apart

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

haveblue posted:

I didn’t learn how great runes work until well after clearing the game

because you have to learn 3 or 4 pieces of info to put it together and I got those days or weeks apart

great runes are a really cool system once you figure them out (customizable humanity, hell yeah!) but oof they really needed to be tutorialized better

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i have this really hosed up prejudice against the humanity system because i watched a few dark souls let’s plays and it didn’t make any sense to me so instead of trying to learn about it i got pissed off and declared it bullshit nonsense.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
It's way less important in elden ring anyways since you don't need it to enable the online functions like in Souls

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
gently caress yeah tame thrumbo breeding pair

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

returnal's out on pc today

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quiggy posted:

great runes are a really cool system once you figure them out (customizable humanity, hell yeah!) but oof they really needed to be tutorialized better

not even a tutorial, just deliver info better when you look for it

the rune arc description says what it does but the great rune selection screen doesn't mention rune arcs, just add a little "you have to eat a rune arc for this to actually do anything" message

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

haveblue posted:

not even a tutorial, just deliver info better when you look for it

the rune arc description says what it does but the great rune selection screen doesn't mention rune arcs, just add a little "you have to eat a rune arc for this to actually do anything" message

it's also not the clearest that you have to restore a great rune before you can use it, which is made worse by the fact that the second great rune most people will get is the only one that you can't restore or equip

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i only ever found godrick's rune of course but +5 all stats seemed hard to beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ciaphas posted:

i only ever found godrick's rune of course but +5 all stats seemed hard to beat

they're all very strong, im particular fond of malenia's, which gives you the bloodborne rally mechanic

unfortunately they don't carry between ng cycles and malenia is super late game so you can't really build a build around that!!