Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

Clash of titans is specifically super heavy mechs fighting each other though, isn't it? The idea is you let them fight each other and try to pick off the winners, then loot all the wreckage.

Generally, at low levels it's an assault and its piece of poo poo lights versus another assault and its equally lovely lights, not the assault, it's tag team partner, and the babyface who's bringing a folding chair, along with their four friends from the bar. At most that'd be a 2.5 with two assaults, a heavy and a medium, which I wouldn't otherwise expect to see until much later.

The spawning also seems messed up. It's usually a problem in BTA but literally every mission has had the opfor spawn in a circle around me, like the one right after that. Unfortunately the lrm carrier didn't make it - a Raven with an LRM15 with super ammo killed it dead lmao

The nice thing is because it's almost nothing but assaults and heavies you can throw cheap garbage and work your way up, but something's definitely wrong

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do occasionally get drops with opfor really close to me but that's usually when it rolls a supporting lance for them, which can be anywhere on the map I think, or at least a much wider range and thus might spawn on you.

I dunno, three assaults and a heavy seems like what I'd expect from a 1.5 star mission in that category. Enemies fighting each other missions usually roll a shitload of firepower in my experience because you don't have to tank all of it. I did a fairly low mission in that vein that rolled two full lances for the enemy and one of them had two assaults, as well as several heavies being in play generally. I thought it was intentional honestly because you get such good loot from it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

I do occasionally get drops with opfor really close to me but that's usually when it rolls a supporting lance for them, which can be anywhere on the map I think, or at least a much wider range and thus might spawn on you.

I dunno, three assaults and a heavy seems like what I'd expect from a 1.5 star mission in that category. Enemies fighting each other missions usually roll a shitload of firepower in my experience because you don't have to tank all of it. I did a fairly low mission in that vein that rolled two full lances for the enemy and one of them had two assaults, as well as several heavies being in play generally. I thought it was intentional honestly because you get such good loot from it.

It worked out great for me but it's not supposed to be an 8 v 4 v you at that level, and the gimmick's supposed to just be the one assault vs the one assault. Like I said though on that one I made out like a bandit, but lmao

I've gotten mercenary rolls a ton though so I wonder if that's related? It's been an interesting campaign though. I've lost most of the lances routinely, but it keeps building up instantly with the insane poo poo it's throwing at me. Also this isn't really new but vehicles are broken and just come back from the dead into your mechbay so they're (usually) safe to throw into the meat grinder lmao. The pilots might not make it though :v:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Generally, at low levels it's an assault and its piece of poo poo lights versus another assault and its equally lovely lights, not the assault, it's tag team partner, and the babyface who's bringing a folding chair, along with their four friends from the bar. At most that'd be a 2.5 with two assaults, a heavy and a medium, which I wouldn't otherwise expect to see until much later.

The spawning also seems messed up. It's usually a problem in BTA but literally every mission has had the opfor spawn in a circle around me, like the one right after that. Unfortunately the lrm carrier didn't make it - a Raven with an LRM15 with super ammo killed it dead lmao

The nice thing is because it's almost nothing but assaults and heavies you can throw cheap garbage and work your way up, but something's definitely wrong

I haven't had this problem at all. I also left all the settings on default, did you mess with anything? it might make sense to just wipe the modtek folder and try again. buggy campaigns always end in tears

on other news I turned my Blackjack into MRM40 & 2xML. puts out like 200 damage alphastrike and makes a mech commander proud

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I haven't had this problem at all. I also left all the settings on default, did you mess with anything? it might make sense to just wipe the modtek folder and try again. buggy campaigns always end in tears

on other news I turned my Blackjack into MRM40 & 2xML. puts out like 200 damage alphastrike and makes a mech commander proud

Everything is on vanilla, fresh BT install, fresh BTA install. I wiped everything before starting

The OC factions just showed up so I may beeline that, see if it's busted then reinstall after that lol but it's been a very unusual campaign, that's for sure. I have one remaining mech from the starting roster and a pile of whatever the hell, it rules

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

It worked out great for me but it's not supposed to be an 8 v 4 v you at that level, and the gimmick's supposed to just be the one assault vs the one assault. Like I said though on that one I made out like a bandit, but lmao

I've gotten mercenary rolls a ton though so I wonder if that's related? It's been an interesting campaign though. I've lost most of the lances routinely, but it keeps building up instantly with the insane poo poo it's throwing at me. Also this isn't really new but vehicles are broken and just come back from the dead into your mechbay so they're (usually) safe to throw into the meat grinder lmao. The pilots might not make it though :v:

If you did randomly roll a supporting squad then yeah I think that is bad luck, I think it can happen on any mission but seems more common the higher up you get in difficulty, but it does sometimes mean you get a really hard low level mission.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
God drat it Taurians I can’t believe you’re going to make me ally with Davion because you’re such salty babies that allying with basically any of Davions regional counterweights ALSO makes you mad. I want to be cool with Cool Space Cuba not Hanse loving Davion!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Captain Oblivious posted:

God drat it Taurians I can’t believe you’re going to make me ally with Davion because you’re such salty babies that allying with basically any of Davions regional counterweights ALSO makes you mad. I want to be cool with Cool Space Cuba not Hanse loving Davion!

The price of telling everyone to get off your lawn with shotguns is that soon you look at anyone even near your lawn as a potential beneficiary of your Buckshot Facial Reconstructive Policy.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ya Taurians being assholes is par for the course

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are the taurians basically space militia compound weirdos or are they cool anarchists? The general read I got is that all the actual polities on the map are dickheads and if I had a space ship I would probably just fly off into the periphery and never come back.

Honestly the whole thing the plot with the dobrev mentions where the dude took the entire SLDF and hosed off out of the known galaxy is the most relatable thing and everyone acts like it's weird.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

Are the taurians basically space militia compound weirdos or are they cool anarchists? The general read I got is that all the actual polities on the map are dickheads and if I had a space ship I would probably just fly off into the periphery and never come back.

Honestly the whole thing the plot with the dobrev mentions where the dude took the entire SLDF and hosed off out of the known galaxy is the most relatable thing and everyone acts like it's weird.

They're closer to space military weirdos than anarchists. Another monarchy where individual planets basically rule themselves and they value personal freedom, but they do have compulsory military service and basically anything goes in their quest to keep free of Davion.

Go hang out with the Magistracy of Canopus. They're all about hedonism.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh, factions have character and stuff? I just click on the mission with the biggest payout and skip all the dialogs until I get to blow something up.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh, factions have character and stuff? I just click on the mission with the biggest payout and skip all the dialogs until I get to blow something up.

:hmmyes:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

wait people don't roleplay their campaigns? :aaaaa:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OwlFancier posted:

Are the taurians basically space militia compound weirdos or are they cool anarchists?

They're the Space Texans. So mostly the militia compound thing, with a side of "live free or die" libertarianism.

OwlFancier posted:

The general read I got is that all the actual polities on the map are dickheads and if I had a space ship I would probably just fly off into the periphery and never come back.

Plenty of places in the periphery are also dickheads, just operating at smaller scale.

The one thing the Battletech setting gets really right, among the giant robits, casual racism, absurd history, and implausible economics, is the general tendency of people with power to be giant dickheads who care first and foremost about keeping and expanding that power.

Even the figures who are seen in-setting as "good" and effective rulers, like the golden-age Star League Camerons, were a-ok with elevating their own people at the expense of others. Their golden age was other's dark age.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess the impression I got mostly was that the setting seems to largely take into account that in a galaxy apparently full of habitable worlds there isn't much stopping people from hauling off and starting their own society, and most of the problems in "civilized" space are actually caused by their bad social ideas rather than lack of resources and stuff.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

wait people don't roleplay their campaigns? :aaaaa:

god if there were a game that was one part Battletech/Mechwarrior and one part Mass Effect I would pay upwards of $70 for it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I roleplay my campaigns as a mercenary who wants a shitload of money and is willing to commit many warcrimes to achieve that lofty goal

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

I roleplay my campaigns as a mercenary who wants a shitload of money and is willing to commit many warcrimes to achieve that lofty goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01n3t1dfNk
:frog:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Taurians are militia space texans with nukes. They are not to celebrated. The people who volunteer their time to ride along the border in atvs with rifles trying to citizens arrest migrants

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

god if there were a game that was one part Battletech/Mechwarrior and one part Mass Effect I would pay upwards of $70 for it

what the mako really needed was an SRM60.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

oh we're all committing war crimes. I just like to pretend there's a story going on. my Blakists are clearly a sleeper cell who's job is to disrupt military operations in the area. we just sometimes takes side jobs to pay the bills. so long as it isn't directly against Wobbies we're good

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

OwlFancier posted:

I guess the impression I got mostly was that the setting seems to largely take into account that in a galaxy apparently full of habitable worlds there isn't much stopping people from hauling off and starting their own society, and most of the problems in "civilized" space are actually caused by their bad social ideas rather than lack of resources and stuff.

That's the thing though, there aren't a lot of habitable worlds. Most of the ones that have people on them were 'we can kinda survive there' and as a result there's been multiple instances of colonies or even 'developed' worlds collapsing and the rise of the Ryan Cartel to move ice around. The further out you get the more likely something is going to go wrong and you'll never be heard from again, and then there's the Deep Periphery.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

OwlFancier posted:

what the mako really needed was an SRM60.

lol. instead it's got an AC/2 and one LMG

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OwlFancier posted:

Pretty much, except for one problem. The galaxy is full of habitable or semi-habitable worlds, but it's not full of sophisticated 30th-century manufacturing centers. It's very difficult to keep a high tech base on your own.

So you take your starship and head for the frontier to live your own life, but you're not gonna be producing fusion engines and cool weapons when you get there. You're back down to internal combustion or maybe fission reactors. Then 50 or 100 years later, some guys show up with starships of their own and tell your kids that this planet is now part of the Draconis Combine or Rim Worlds Republic or whatever. And they still have 100-ton battle robots with fusion power and more guns than you can possibly imagine.

So maybe some of your descendants dust off the starship that was hidden away back during the founding, and do it again. Only now they're starting even lower. This new world is gonna be starting with horses and steam engines.

Meanwhile the tech for producing new starships is so sophisticated that even the inner sphere has trouble with it. So this is a self-limiting cycle. The only time that starships were really mass-produced was during the Star League, and those were in service of conquest and economics rather than new colonization.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
And, on top of that, expansion was artificially limited by the Star League Explorer Corps efforts to find periphery garden planets and poison or even de-Terraform them. They wanted new colonies to be completely dependent on the Inner Sphere, or at least forced trade with their neighbors.

A lot of the planets that did have good or easily-exploited industrial resources went into serious (often fatal) population declines because they were over-dependent on nearby food resource planet #2.

The entire Inner Sphere is surrounded by a pretty big dead zone, which is why there's such a huge gap between it and the Deep Periphery nations like the Hanseatic League; the Jarnfolk; or the Feifdom of Randis.

Kerensky went to the Kerensky Cluster because it was still far enough out that the Explorer Corps hadn't hosed with it yet.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 15, 2023

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
Okay, now that i see that map, i have a lore question: What is with all those RWR Outposts all over the place, especially in the east/south? I thought Amaris and his boys were basically from whats the western third of Lyran space in modern times?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have a feeling this Star League was full of some bad dudes, and not in the fun way

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nick Esasky posted:

Okay, now that i see that map, i have a lore question: What is with all those RWR Outposts all over the place, especially in the east/south? I thought Amaris and his boys were basically from whats the western third of Lyran space in modern times?

Well their ruler did usurp the entire Star League at some point.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Dang. I knew about the whole "the Clans are from beyond the Periphery" thing, but I had never seen a full map of the Inner Sphere zoomed out this much to show me just how far they were. I also thought they were more off to the right than dead center north, but that's mostly because of the path they came from on their way in.

As for the whole "golden age of mankind" thing, something I always point out is that the Star League operated on a system of heredity nobility, so it was doomed from the start.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I got to the Death's Legion campaign mission and uh... the map is just unfinished. No light sources, all the trees are cones, tons of terrain glitches where my entire lance got stuck. Is this von Biomes' fault?

Edit: another mod question. Whenever I have a hero mech damaged in battle it loses stuff like AMS launchers and double heatsinks. I've never seen those components for sale anywhere. Can these mechs ever be repaired or is it pretty much inevitable that their performance will degrade as all the cool parts get shot off?

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 15, 2023

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Edit: another mod question. Whenever I have a hero mech damaged in battle it loses stuff like AMS launchers and double heatsinks. I've never seen those components for sale anywhere. Can these mechs ever be repaired or is it pretty much inevitable that their performance will degrade as all the cool parts get shot off?

You can find them for sale, they're just pretty rare so you need to keep an eye out for them

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah it’s important to understanding how much the Battletech universe sucks that Battletech as a whole treats Anything Other Than Autocracy as essentially non-viable governance at the interplanetary level.

So the galaxy is just a whole shitshow of despotic states of varying degrees. Marik is less bad than most but still feudal aristocrats.

The thing is that while basically all the polities are dickheads, most people living in their space aren’t terribly affected by that dickheadery*

*Unless we’re talking about Liao which is full on North Korea. Unfortunately Battletechs original writers were very white, very 80s/90s, and very center right so Battletech is just RIFE with yikes sinophobia and the legacy of “aughh the Japanese tech boom the perfidious celestials will soon cast down our society!”

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 15, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I got to the Death's Legion campaign mission and uh... the map is just unfinished. No light sources, all the trees are cones, tons of terrain glitches where my entire lance got stuck. Is this von Biomes' fault?

It's called LosTech for a reason.

poo poo's rare. You can find it, but generally speaking the winning play is to make sure it doens't get shot off.

edit: which means limiting how much the lancemates are carrying

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If they farted with the communications/transportation equation of the setting with one radical discovery affecting HPGs or K-F drives, they could really spark some interesting stories on how governance shifts to allow tighter control across broader swathes of space, causing an existential threat to space feudalism. One would imagine the nobles wouldn't be happy....

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

RBA Starblade posted:

I have a feeling this Star League was full of some bad dudes, and not in the fun way

"STEFAN DID NOTHING WRONG!" is probably a not-uncommon belief held in the 31st century Periphery, particularly in the parts where the RWR used to be.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 15, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The only reason the Camerons aren't remembered as history's greatest monsters is because history's greatest monster deposed and murdered them.

Stefan Amaris I ruled for 14 years (2766-2780) and all of the great houses were apparently OK with it. The Succession Wars didn't start until after he was deposed by Kerensky.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wish there was a game where we could side with Periphery States during Unification War. Camerons were assholes, and stopping SLDF as Canopians or Taurians would be amazing. With Taurians you could also stop the encroachment of the drat Davions.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

SirPhoebos posted:

"STEFAN DID NOTHING WRONG!" is probably a not-uncommon belief held in the 31st century Periphery, particularly in the parts where the RWR used to be.

You'd think that, but not quite. Remember, after he conquered the Star League, the first thing he tried to get Kerensky to do was continue his assault on the Periphery and bring it in line. They might not like the Star League at all, but a treasonous gently caress who used them to tie up the SDLF and then took over and told the SLDF to crush them? The way they see it, he got what he deserved when he went native and became just another Inner Sphere despot who thinks he can bludgeon the Periphery into submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rorahusky posted:

You'd think that, but not quite. Remember, after he conquered the Star League, the first thing he tried to get Kerensky to do was continue his assault on the Periphery and bring it in line. They might not like the Star League at all, but a treasonous gently caress who used them to tie up the SDLF and then took over and told the SLDF to crush them? The way they see it, he got what he deserved when he went native and became just another Inner Sphere despot who thinks he can bludgeon the Periphery into submission.

At the time it happened, and a few generations after, sure. But I can easily see a revisionist narrative emerging that glosses over such an inconvenient fact.

EDIT: Actually, how did the Periphery know about Stefan's betrayal? I assume Kerensky recorded the conversation, but it would be funnier if Amaris pressed "Reply All" on accident.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 15, 2023