Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nitrox posted:

Is that an extension cord just running into the dash?

I think it might be a USB cable.
Which had me looking at the head unit "mounting" for some additional laziness/WTF points.

edit: It's so sad when you want to do a thing, but just have *no* skill or knowledge. Jesus, even my first attempts at installs weren't this bad. I guess having an (mechanical) engineer for a dad helps you understand the importance of design, and proper planning for projects. Obviously, I still gently caress up, but I don't *leave* it that way.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It is the epitome of :effort:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Darchangel posted:

I think it might be a USB cable.
Which had me looking at the head unit "mounting" for some additional laziness/WTF points.

edit: It's so sad when you want to do a thing, but just have *no* skill or knowledge. Jesus, even my first attempts at installs weren't this bad. I guess having an (mechanical) engineer for a dad helps you understand the importance of design, and proper planning for projects. Obviously, I still gently caress up, but I don't *leave* it that way.

If my posts in other threads hasn’t already demonstrated it, I don’t know poo poo about poo poo and I have mobility limitations.

But you want to know what I did with my clapped out Volvo? Installed fresh speakers and a Bluetooth head unit. Guess what? It works, and there aren’t cables loving shooting out of it like a nest of confused vipers.

I literally cannot comprehend what thoughts went through a person’s head when doing that. EVEN MORESO, why THAT picture would be in an advertisement trying to sell a car.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It is the epitome of :effort:

See also random fast-food cups. LIke, if you're selling something for thousands of dollars, spend two minutes and throw away some garbage?
I saw CL ad earlier this week where the interior of the car had a bunch of trash and the ad pointed out "interior is dirty" as if yep, its full of trash, can't do anything about that, real common issue with these cars.

I think the venn diagram of "is fully unable to do basic cleanup on something they want to sell for several thousand dollars" and "is fully unable to keep up on even the most basic of maintenance items" is a circle.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Captain Log posted:

If my posts in other threads hasn’t already demonstrated it, I don’t know poo poo about poo poo and I have mobility limitations.

But you want to know what I did with my clapped out Volvo? Installed fresh speakers and a Bluetooth head unit. Guess what? It works, and there aren’t cables loving shooting out of it like a nest of confused vipers.

I literally cannot comprehend what thoughts went through a person’s head when doing that. EVEN MORESO, why THAT picture would be in an advertisement trying to sell a car.

It's not even hard to, like, tuck the cabling under the carpet. Or buy a speaker grille so poo poo doesn't fall on your woofer and damage it. Or paint or throw some carpet on the box. Like, it's lazy fail after lazy fail after lazy fail.

boxen posted:

I think the venn diagram of "is fully unable to do basic cleanup on something they want to sell for several thousand dollars" and "is fully unable to keep up on even the most basic of maintenance items" is a circle.

Man, that's a good point. Nice tell when shopping.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

boxen posted:

Pretty much what i told my nephew when he was looking for a car. If the interior is filthy they probably didn't maintain it at all either.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'm the wiper stalk just hangin' out

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Car Friends, I have a different type of awful ad from Facebook.

What's the car?

It's a Tesla Model Who-Gives-A-gently caress in excellent condition. It has 29k miles on it, which is important.

Why does it belong here? Let's read the text of the advertisement.

"Greetings! I'm offering to transfer my Tesla Model Y (Long Range) lease for $5K (open to negotiation).
The lease ends May 2024, costs $480/mo, and maxes at 45K miles. After that, mile overage costs 25 cents per mile.
I will be asking for $50 deposits for test rides (which will go toward the transaction if you decide to buy),
so make sure you're a serious buyer before contacting me. Let me know if you're interested! Cheers. 🙂 "🤘"

:stare: $50 "deposits" for test rides? And he wants you to buy out a $480 lease on a car with only 16k miles left on it before getting charges out the rear end?

Please tell me this isn't normal.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
The idea of lease buyouts is nutso crazy to me, but if you're the type of person to do one that doesn't look nearly as crazy as some I've seen.
"Average" miles driven in a year is about 12k, so 16k left gives you plenty of miles for another 15 months. Aside from the test-drive thing it's not super unreasonable for a 53k car. That said given the type of person who wants a deposit for a test-drive but also needs their lease bought out I'm sure there's way more crazy going on here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I used to browse lease take over websites just to marvel in the totally awful situations people willingly put themselves into for luxury/status vehicles.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That's not a 53,000 dollar car, it's a 46,000 dollar car

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
What do you want to pay per month? is the hook that gets people into 115% interest plans for 84 years.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The advertisement also has two pictures. Two. You’ve seen 50% of them.

I had a job way back where I worked with big businesses in tech sales. I understand leases, for a business. But unless you’ve got about ten times more cash than sense, I truly don’t understand leasing a car. And when that’s the case, why not just buy the drat thing?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Leasing a car makes sense if you don't drive that much, but still want a nice car. I don't know what people who drive a lot do with a leased car, but there's apparently a market for it

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

mobby_6kl posted:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...9d42ca6&ref=srp

I don't know why I decided to check 4x4s, maybe because of Dakar? I'm not into camping or offroading particularly but I kind of want one now

I like the attention to detail trying to cover the license plate on this one.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Captain Log posted:

The advertisement also has two pictures. Two. You’ve seen 50% of them.

I had a job way back where I worked with big businesses in tech sales. I understand leases, for a business. But unless you’ve got about ten times more cash than sense, I truly don’t understand leasing a car. And when that’s the case, why not just buy the drat thing?

It’s essentially just a financing decision, with added flexibility at the end via an option.

For instance, if you lease a Tesla and then your benevolent overlord drops the price 10K a week after you sign, you can choose not to buy the lease out at the end. You’ll pay the depreciation on that 10k over the course of the lease but will not have the the residual loss.

It can also be a hedge against new model risk - if the new model of transmission dies at 80k just return your lease before then and get a different car.

Would I ever lease over buy? Not a chance, but I do my own maintenance and carry a shovel in the back of my Mazda 3 for those times I’ve had to fill in water channels or build dirt ramps on forest service roads.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MrAmazing posted:

It’s essentially just a financing decision, with added flexibility at the end via an option.

For instance, if you lease a Tesla and then your benevolent overlord drops the price 10K a week after you sign, you can choose not to buy the lease out at the end. You’ll pay the depreciation on that 10k over the course of the lease but will not have the the residual loss.

Tesla leases actually do not have the option to buy out at the end, and have not for a while. They removed that flexibility so that when used car prices shot way up, Tesla could make the money instead of the people leasing them.

In your scenario that you gave, your lease costs will not increase just because the car depreciated $10k more than the tables said. What leases do is they provide a limit on the most depreciation you'll pay for owning the car for X years. Most manufacturers will let you buy out the car at the end of the lease, so if the car depreciated less than expected, you get some money back effectively because the car's market value is higher than the contractual lease buy-out price. The lease buy-out also removes some of the risk that you don't use all the miles the lease allowed, because a car with less miles is worth more money.

All this goes out the window once Tesla won't let you buy the lease out, though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The car this comes from is unimportant, being a 2010 Subaru Legacy. But I clicked on it because it was listed as having 14k miles, which I knew had to be bullshit.

This is possibly the best advertisement description I've ever read -

"The car is in good condition, it drives, I'm selling it because I occupy it. And it's no longer standing. Any questions message me."

I believe this car may be owned by some character from the Lovecraft mythos.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Do you hate your wallet and yourself?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/maserati-425-biturbo-automatik-leder-scheckheft/1881100384-216-1891

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That Maserati is a perfect candidate for a Chevy truck combo swap. I would happily buy a non running one for like $300.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So they fit on an s 10?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

I'm currently fighting with one of these dumb loving things because parts are unobtanium and there's no information left online ever since yahoo groups got shut down.
It's a great car, I suggest buying it :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I feel like I'm going to have to buy one one of these days, one of my favorite aspects of the e21 was the whole "documentation/parts aren't available (or aren't available at a price I'm willing to pay), welp time to manually and painstakingly restore a part that was never meant to be serviceable or reverse engineer some poo poo, or modify the housing and make a bracket to put a tractor/Corolla/Dodge part in there" thing

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 20, 2023

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I only know Maserati Biturbos for their reliability or lack thereof. When they work, do they drive well?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Paging chrisgt to the craigslist chat for maserati chat

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My favorite part about the early Biturbo is that the surge tank houses a whole Weber carburetor inside of it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DJ Commie posted:

My favorite part about the early Biturbo is that the surge tank houses a whole Weber carburetor inside of it.

It's like it was designed by racing engineers trying to find a loophole in the rules.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I might need to be physically restrained

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
25k sounds a bit much

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Feel like 25k should get you a restored Z

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Urgh my ex was obsessed with those. I think he still has one rotting in his mom’s driveway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Feel like 25k should get you a restored Z

Ya, I feel like that’s a $10-15k car. I also feel like five years ago it would have been a $7k car.

:corsair:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Is there a reason why the dashboard has one of those fluffy mats old people put under the toilet across it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Captain Log posted:

Is there a reason why the dashboard has one of those fluffy mats old people put under the toilet across it?

Probably to hide the cracked dash.
Anyone that goes to sell a car and doesn't take the seat, steering wheel, and dash covers off that they may have installed to show you exactly what you are getting are big dumb morons :colbert:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Ya, I feel like that’s a $10-15k car. I also feel like five years ago it would have been a $7k car.

:corsair:

Sort of the same but then im like used car prices are insane maybe that's also classic cars ??? Inflation and age has destroyed my ability to evaluate costs

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've got some good ones to post when I'm back at my desk.

But does anyone on the planet get fooled by this phrasing?

"Clean title, salvage"

I've seen that more than I can count.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I've got some good ones to post when I'm back at my desk.

But does anyone on the planet get fooled by this phrasing?

"Clean title, salvage"

I've seen that more than I can count.

Clean means "I have it in my possession, it is in my name, with no liens or other encumbrances." Salvage is a class of title, not related to clean. So I don't really see the problem.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I get what Captain Log is saying. In my mind, a clean title is a non-branded title. No flood, salvage, rebuilt, etc. Those things can affect the ability to register a car in some states.

If someone told me a car had a clean title then I went to check it out and it was salvage or rebuilt, I’d be miffed at the dishonesty. Wouldn’t necessarily turn me off the deal but i certainly wouldn’t pay retail/market value as if it were a clean title.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

On Craigslist, here are the title categories -

- Clean
- Salvage
- Rebuilt
- Parts
- Lien
- Missing

I don’t accept the phrase, “Clean Title Salvage.” It’s just trying to juke searches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Deteriorata posted:

Clean means "I have it in my possession, it is in my name, with no liens or other encumbrances." Salvage is a class of title, not related to clean. So I don't really see the problem.

Yeah, TBH, I typically think, when I hear "clean title" as not write off, rebuilt etc..... Maybe thats not the *actual* definition, but thats how I always saw it.