Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
https://apnews.com/article/politics-united-states-government-gerald-ford-ronald-reagan-hospice-care-f4e26c10a7b366f14e62f690da403b0a

Here's a guy who's lived by example, a simple peanut farmer who stepped up to the plate to be Prez after Nixon shitted everything up, then he got railroaded because had a brother who loveed him some beer, got fired by American voters, built some houses for America's neediest for decades and is now in hospice care.

I hope the man doesn't suffer for any length of time, and while that sounds like I'm wishing him a speedy death, I just want him to have enough time to get his affairs in order before he ODs on morphine in a controlled environment in hospice care, because that's the best humanity can do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

:( Jimmy Carter is the best, I hope he doesn't suffer either

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
He'll be fine :)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Hated a baby??

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
On his second day in office, Carter pardoned all Vietnam War draft evaders by issuing Proclamation 4483.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
He will probably come back as a space baby or something anyway peace out JC

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
don't forget how he saved Ottawa from nuclear disaster

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m sure someone’s going to Kramer in here with how Carter was literally Hitler but as far as US presidents go I think he was probably the least offensive as a person and I hope he goes peacefully.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Tinkin & Prayin & Shittin & Peanuttin

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Piss Creep posted:

On his second day in office, Carter pardoned all Vietnam War draft evaders by issuing Proclamation 4483.

On his second day in office, Carter pardoned all Vietnam War draft evaders by issuing Proclamation 4483. During his term, two new cabinet-level departments—the Department of Energy and the Department of Education—were established.

Edit:
Don't cut off the part that they're trying to roll back right now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah, all presidents do bad things, but at least he spent the rest of his life trying to do good.
Hope he's comfortable.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
He was still building houses for people at 98 years old and you're 43 and still sleeping with an anime pillow

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nooner posted:

He was still building houses for people at 98 years old and you're 43 and still sleeping with an anime pillow

I wish I could afford nice pillows

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’m sure someone’s going to Kramer in here with how Carter was literally Hitler

yup it was you

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

His brother also made crappy beer, so, y'know, that's cool too

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

"I splashed some water with a paddle. The animal was in distress or possibly beserk"

Wee fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 19, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anyone who pisses Reagan off can't be that bad

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Piss Creep posted:

"I splashed some water with a paddle. The animal was in distress or possibly beserk"

the text is so lovely it looks like a dot matrix printer when i try to zoom in

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 19, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

quote:

According to Carter's press secretary Jody Powell, columnist George Will reportedly blamed the Iran hostage crisis on Carter's "timid" response of splashing water towards the rabbit instead of having the Secret Service shoot it. Powell also writes that journalist Robert Novak stated he saw documents that revealed the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan was a result of Carter's purported weakness in the incident.[2][undue weight? – discuss]

lmao time... time never changes.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Man, the only decent president and we're about to lose him

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Wendigee posted:

the text is so lovely it looks like a dot matrix printer when i try to zoom in

Its the dumb cartoon next to it that matters.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

When my dad entered hospice at home a couple years ago, it was a little over a week until he passed away. It was probably the hardest ten days of my life mentally. The hospice nurses were wonderful and helpful in answering all the questions we never knew to even ask. I'm sure Carter will have great care taken off him during this time, but it's still incredibly tough for the surviving family to deal with. That feeling of "it could happen any hour now" is just torturous. I also hope he has a quick and uncomplicated passing.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I think one of his greatest legacies will be the eradication of Guinea Worm. When his foundation began working to reduce Guinea Worm infections in 1986, there were 3.5 million cases reported annually. Today, there are only 13 human cases in the entire world. If all goes as planned, Guinea Worm will be only the second disease eradicated in human history. And this should happen within the next 24 months.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

FPzero posted:

When my dad entered hospice at home a couple years ago, it was a little over a week until he passed away. It was probably the hardest ten days of my life mentally. The hospice nurses were wonderful and helpful in answering all the questions we never knew to even ask. I'm sure Carter will have great care taken off him during this time, but it's still incredibly tough for the surviving family to deal with. That feeling of "it could happen any hour now" is just torturous. I also hope he has a quick and uncomplicated passing.

My mom entered end-stage with her disease. My family was asked if we wanted to try something aggressive that would very likely fail, or just keep her comfortable until the end. We decided that the aggressive treatment, even if it extended her life a little bit, would not be worth the additional suffering she would go through. We opted for the comfort. she did not even get a chance to move to hospice. She died just a few hours later.

I sometimes wonder if she knew and gave in, or if a nurse helped her along, which would have been an absolute mercy.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Jimmy Farter

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Advanced Health Directives and Enduring Power of Attorney and Guardianship are more important than a will.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Yet Kissinger still lives.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Genesplicer posted:

My mom entered end-stage with her disease. My family was asked if we wanted to try something aggressive that would very likely fail, or just keep her comfortable until the end. We decided that the aggressive treatment, even if it extended her life a little bit, would not be worth the additional suffering she would go through. We opted for the comfort. she did not even get a chance to move to hospice. She died just a few hours later.

I sometimes wonder if she knew and gave in, or if a nurse helped her along, which would have been an absolute mercy.

My grandfather suffered from anemia near the last few years of his life. He kept a great attitude about it despite the blood transfusions. By the time he was 88 he was in the hospital fairly frequently. The last visit he walked in on his own and of sharp mind. We still don't know for sure what happened but he ended up in a coma. His last wishes that we already knew about was to pass in his home wearing socks and that's exactly what happened. The ambulance brought him home, put him in bed and he was gone 24 hours later. I think hospice is fantastic but if its my time I want to go out like Grandpa.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
give jimmy a kissinger he's leaving

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Genesplicer posted:

I used to make chemo drugs; standard, experimental and super-aggressive. None of them sounded cool at all according to their SDS, and after years of spending 12 hour nights having to be scared to death of exposure in the back of my head, I've kinda just made peace with accepting fate and wanting comfort over being filled with poison that's racing to the finish line with a tumor.

Dementia scares me way more than cancer, these days.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Imagine being born and your dad drives you back from the hospital in an old timey model T. A dodo bird crossed the dirt road and your dad has to blow the horn and it goes AHHHHHROOOOOGAH. Your childhood best friend was paid a nickel per hour to stand on a milk carton and yell "extra extra read all about it, dow Jones races past 100 points" and your grandpa tells you stories about fighting off the Yankees during the civil war.

Then on your deathbed you turn on your magic tablet that connects you instantly to every person on earth and find you're getting roasted by "20 blunts" calling you jimmy farter on a dead comedy forum. This saddens you so you put your magic hyper resolution mask over your eyes so you can transport yourself to the moon and slap some VR anime cat girl titties around.

LaserPrinter69 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 19, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

MrQwerty posted:

I used to make chemo drugs; standard, experimental and super-aggressive. None of them sounded cool at all according to their SDS, and after years of spending 12 hour nights having to be scared to death of exposure in the back of my head, I've kinda just made peace with accepting fate and wanting comfort over being filled with poison that's racing to the finish line with a tumor.

Dementia scares me way more than cancer, these days.

If it helps most dementia people aren't flashing back and forth between like reality and dementia. Its loving awful, yes, and the people around them are challenged constantly. People with dementia will get confused and angry, but its not like the difference between asleep and awake. Its small things and its constantly. Losing your keys every single time you put them down instead of some times. Getting lost on a walk around the block. Not knowing who your neighbor is anymore. Its gets worse obviously, colours disappear, depth perception may go, facial recognition went away long ago, other peoples voices are your kids.

But its a path that can be managed. And you can choose when that ends before it gets too far.

Regardless of the death sentence - Get an Advance Health Directive. Get an Enduring Power of Guardianship sorted with someone who really gives a poo poo. Or you end up in permanent care wasting away out of your mind. Because your family may unfortunately think thats easier than deciding to turning you off.

Wee fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 19, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LaserPrinter69 posted:

Imagine being born and your dad drives you back from the hospital in an old timey model T. A dodo bird crossed the dirt road and your dad has to blow the horn and it goes AHHHHHROOOOOGAH. Your childhood best friend was paid a nickel per hour to stand on a milk carton and yell "extra extra read all about it, dow Jones races past 100 points" and your grandpa tells you stories about fighting off the Yankees during the civil war.

Then on your deathbed you turn on your magic tablet that connects you instantly to every person on earth and find you're getting roasted by "20 blunts" calling you jimmy farter on a dead comedy forum. This saddens you so you put your magic hyper resolution mask over your eyes so you can transport yourself to the moon and slap some VR anime cat girl titties around.

That's life alright, just meaningless nonsense.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Wow

:(

The thread

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

FPzero posted:

I remember vividly the sense of profound relief I had when my grandmothers 8 month terminal cancer finally put her to rest. I was blessed in that I was able to say goodbye (without using the literal term) when she was still mostly lucid. Even with that thought, those months were an incredible stress I only realized the weight of when it was off.

Terminal illness sucks, I hope I just pass suddenly in my sleep at the age of at least 70+ while my mental faculties are vivid.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jimmy going to the giant peanut farm in the sky.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
He was a real good guy, shame that as soon as Clark Kent showed up on the scene he had no chance with Lois Lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I think we should get to eat a bit of him.