Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

i once set up a custom background of myself looking into the room at myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

everybody clapped immediately

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mr. Crow posted:

Don't use blur who gives a poo poo unless you've got a sex dungeon behind you.

I have a big rear end trans pride flag as my backdrop am where does this put me vis a vis blur?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just dont work for a chud company then

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I blur my background

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

keep your grubby eyes off of my stuff

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i have a bookshelf with a bunch of records and books and dvds as well as art behind me, some photos and paintings and prints

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
i share an office with my partner directly behind me. they have a band poster on the wall desk which has "WAR" (along with other stuff) in giant letters, along with "nothing matters" in block letters above their desk. i use a blurred or autopainted background to stop that from showing up

when covid started i went a full year with an animated beach as my zoom background, that was pretty fun

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
my office collectively and unspokenly decided at the beginning of covid wfh that we would never turn on our cameras and i am immensely thankful for that

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
How do I make Zoom blur the foreground instead

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CPColin posted:

How do I make Zoom blur the foreground instead
drink more coffee

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I just have a bunch of poo poo everywhere because we are fixing up our house and I don’t want to explain ladders and drop saws and bits of computer.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

drink more coffee

lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

drink more coffee

this tracks :hmmyes:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Fool posted:

I agree, don't use blur

but unless you have the space or time to curate what is behind you use a custom background

Use a photo of the main office from a desk as your background

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have meetings with our cto pretty often and i always thought a funny bit would be to take a picture of his office and use that for my meeting background picture.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

distortion park posted:

Use a photo of the main office from a desk as your background

this is a pro move when you're interviewing and use the office of the person you're interviewing with

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

how would you have a photo of the office of the person you are interviewing with

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that's what they'll be thinking

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:hmmyes:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Changing my background to a bathroom so everybody understands why it sounds like I'm pooping

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CPColin posted:

Changing my background to a bathroom so everybody understands why it sounds like I'm pooping
i also post here during meetings

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've made myself a green screen setup with OBS where my green screen is a frame, and for a while I did a thing where I swapped things and I appeared inside the frame in my office for all my meetings and it was very jarring for everyone involved

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thats cool

maybe i'll cover my whiteboard with green screen fabric

right now I'm using a photo of earth from the iss viewport. early pandemic I'd make "extreme social distancing" jokes but now I'm just being lazy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

MononcQc posted:

I've made myself a green screen setup with OBS where my green screen is a frame, and for a while I did a thing where I swapped things and I appeared inside the frame in my office for all my meetings and it was very jarring for everyone involved

lmao

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
At one point I added a chryon that would periodically pop in and one time I even went full effort and made a ticker that would scroll real-time stock quotes along the bottom of my video. But honestly the effort and impact on my machine from having to be running OBS during meetings was just not worth it.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

post hole digger posted:

i have meetings with our cto pretty often and i always thought a funny bit would be to take a picture of his office and use that for my meeting background picture.

One of my coworkers did this and it's a great bit. Before he left he had the whole sr team and he'd pick one until someone noticed. I was careful enough that he wasn't ever able to screenshot my background with me out of frame, but eventually he just photoshopped me out.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

got my baby PMP cert (CAPM) test scheduled, got my soft skills and out-of-domain healthcare expertise locked and loaded on my resume. now it's time to look at all the over salaried non-engineer project manager jobs in tech and take a biiiiig drink of water :kiddo:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

interviewing updates: still sucks

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

raminasi posted:

i think this is the point of contention? algo lotteries aren't uncommon or outliers, they're the status quo for the best-paying companies. surely that's not an accident, especially since things like ctci - which is specifically an algo lottery study guide, not a comp sci fundamentals textbook - is specifically recommended by recruiters for the algo lottery interviews. and i'm skeptical of the proposition that this extremely high variance algo lottery is the absolute best that anyone can do to gauge proficiency with fundamentals of the trade. tech majors have a lot of money and freedom to experiment - is this the best they can come up with? i'm more sympathetic to the counterargument that it is the best they can come up with, but they're solving a different problem than purely gauging fundamental competence.

bdid is right though, this isn't really a useful conversation to have without the original thing i was trying to find.

idk if anyone else brought this up but an interesting data point for you - the place I’ve been at for a while (sf-based startup, got bought about two years ago) was founded by xooglers and a lot of their engineers didn’t like the ctci algo lottery style interviews from experience, so they switched to something that was pretty different; no live coding, just a bunch of “go through this function and tell me what it does”, “let’s diagram a system”, “explain something you’ve worked on in the past and let’s unpack it in the interview”, etc

candidates hated it, broadly. eventually there was so much pressure due to swe candidates bombing out that we switched to a more traditional live-coding style of technical interview.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Wtf? I would love that type of interview. It would be a great way to figure out what it's like to work with the interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kitten emergency posted:

idk if anyone else brought this up but an interesting data point for you - the place I’ve been at for a while (sf-based startup, got bought about two years ago) was founded by xooglers and a lot of their engineers didn’t like the ctci algo lottery style interviews from experience, so they switched to something that was pretty different; no live coding, just a bunch of “go through this function and tell me what it does”, “let’s diagram a system”, “explain something you’ve worked on in the past and let’s unpack it in the interview”, etc

candidates hated it, broadly. eventually there was so much pressure due to swe candidates bombing out that we switched to a more traditional live-coding style of technical interview.

McDowell has broken the brains of everyone in this industry, lmfao.