Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
that said it is an artificial limitation most of the time. if you have a choice of focal lengths though and deliberately choose the "wrong" lens, that's on you; it's up to you to make it interesting. the rules may not be hard and fast rules, but they're still excellent suggestions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i like photografy

anyway i took this picture in york back in 2018 with a minolta i used to have shooting hp5+. I really like how this picture turned out especially since i don’t do a lot of portraits and this was snapped on the fly. i probably mostly shoot film—35mm and 120 but some digital too.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
its good. that guy looks like he lives in a castle

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

that said it is an artificial limitation most of the time. if you have a choice of focal lengths though and deliberately choose the "wrong" lens, that's on you; it's up to you to make it interesting. the rules may not be hard and fast rules, but they're still excellent suggestions

I always choose the right lens because I know what look I want

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

i like photografy

anyway i took this picture in york back in 2018 with a minolta i used to have shooting hp5+. I really like how this picture turned out especially since i don’t do a lot of portraits and this was snapped on the fly. i probably mostly shoot film—35mm and 120 but some digital too.

some extremely good poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

I always choose the right lens because I know what look I want

even if you genuinely believe this to be true it's still nice to have a variety of focal lengths to choose from. sometimes things happen that you can't anticipate of course

plus sometimes i'll prefer a certain focal length in the moment and find another one better afterwards. its rare, but it happens. i would probably not be satisfied with just one

e: lol wow i just left a whole word out of there huh. try to guess which :ninja:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 21, 2023

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i keep all of my lenses in the clothes dryer and when i want to go take pictures i fire it up and grab one out at random. that’s the lens i have to use for the day.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

even if you genuinely believe this to be true

I suppose it’s possible that the answer to the question “how many times do I have to experiment with shorter lenses before I fully conclude that I am a nothing but long dude” is “still a few more times” but my patience is wearing thin on it

I’m totally jealous of anyone who can take a good photo with a 35mm or even a 50mm, because I can’t.

so for me, I’ve got a lens length that I like, I love the results and the compressed look, the photos remind me of photos in magazines I read as a kid.

it does mean it’s impractical for some situations but that’s ok because I don’t need to take photos in every situation and even if I had a shorter lens, I can’t take photos I’m happy with at shorter lengths anyway, so I don’t feel bad that I can’t take photos I wouldn’t like

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think having a gently caress around phase is fine and good, I certainly had one, lots of different cameras, lenses and films to try. However, the hobby can become the gear, thats fine too I suppose. It's the difference between someone who's into photography and someone who's in to cameras. I mean, I still shoot 5 different cameras but they all serve different purposes.

Personally I only shoot primes, this is partly a function of all of my cameras being a minimum of 50 years old, but also honing in on the focal lengths I compose in, 28, 45 and 100mm full frame equivalents.

The real skill is looking as a scene and thinking "I want this compression, I need to stand here and I need to use this lens". Looking at the world and having a vision of your output is the hardest thing, and can only come with experience and practice, and I think limiting yourself to certain focal lengths, even if it is with a zoom, is very beneficial to this understanding.

When you have to move your feet to compose you move more, you look more, you understand the differences instead of going "Yep, I want this bigger" and slamming that zoom.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've hosed around, and now I am down to business

another good reason I only shoot with one lens: money... I don't have any.
this keeps me humble

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
film does make daytime shots look pretty good ngl

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Black and white of any kind is good for midday as your expression is all in contrast and texture. It highlights the play of light without the distraction of colour

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
funny I am going back thru some old photos and I found the point where I must have first discovered how to raise blacks

man, I was raising them from the grave back in June lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what if your gently caress around phase *checks watch* lasts for 5 years and counting?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

then you find out, op

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

*jerking off motion

eventually!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

got the replacement leatherette for the argus today. pictured next to an old yashica* i fixed up a while back. got a neat little antique camera collection going here.

*the yashica is also a piece of poo poo.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

can’t wait until i die and my family has to deal with all of this junk. I’ve got so much squirreled away everywhere! :sickos:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got my macro lens just in time for a cold snap to hit. maybe the bees will warm themselves in the sun today and ill get some pics though

went on a yesterday hike, took the g95. i was very disappointed with the landscape shots. got some decent flower pics etc but the landscape type things were really not good pictures, which was a bummer because i was up on a ridge looking out over the pacific and it was beautiful. but it didn't really come through in the photo.

that's what i said before i mashed "auto" and set the white balance. then the greens jumped out and i was super stoked. it turns out that my copy of Photoshop Elements can't read the files my g95 makes, so I have to run this DNG converter thing first. The camera's supported by Adobe camera raw (and the operating system), but I guess supporting new cameras is one of the reasons people buy new copies of Elements.

Instead of buying Elements 2023 (I don't even know if it's released yet), I will probably be buying Pixelmator Pro even though it isn't on sale. I meant to buy it during the half-off sale in January, but got distracted and forgot.

Anyway, I am really happy that the pictures turned out to be not-too-bad after all. I'll post some when I have a chance to poke them and maybe do a little cropping, unless I get dissatisfied with them and am embarrassed to do so

But never forget that:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

advice on editing, framing, etc all appreciated

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

looks like a nice place to be but, as far as being a good photo, it needs better light and a more interesting sky

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
suffers from middle-of-the-day-itis

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what do you generally do in such situations? i'm sure somebody could've found a great picture to take, but yeah it ain't me. could always put less sky in it, but when i tried to do crops it kinda felt weird. same with the photos i took of different parts - they just felt, idk, _off_. i wan to just say "idk i guess there wasn't a good photo to be had" but i don't think that's true. i'm sure it was there, but i don't know how to get it

as far as the light goes, yeah, i underexposed the photo i think and had to futz with it on the computer (and generally don't know what i'm doing there).

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

it's not bad. as a result this might sound a bit harsh and i'm sorry for that,

it works a lot better if you crop it towards the bottom of the hills imo. as it is it's too immediately busy and your focus is drawn to a shapeless blob of hill and brush in front of you

the framing as is could work, but you'd need to be about 10 feet higher up. alternatively it looks as if the framing to your immediate right (like, think if you rotated about 30°) would be pretty decent. alternatively to that if you wanted the more contrasty forest in the background about 60° to the left would probably also work

as far as the sky goes, it could be more interesting, but that's of course not your fault. since its pretty bare though you probably want to minimize the amount of space it takes up or otherwise find some way of de-emphasizing it (it's pretty bright, really)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 21, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean, it's really not that bad, maybe a bit underwhelming, and to be clear there is nothing wrong with that

there isn't much i can say is technically wrong with it because rotating the aspect even nets you a decent crop

(which was literally just at a random point, there are probably others that work better)

there are several elements of any landscape that can and do make for interesting pictures. sometimes when you pull out and take a wide shot of them though, it doesn't work out. i feel like that's what happened here

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

interesting, thank you! and that doesn't feel harsh at all, this is literally the type of advice I was hoping for :)

I will have a try at fixing it a bit at lunch. I have some other photos of different angles, but they have weird spots on the lens that I assume are from dust getting on it. i don't wan to waste too much of everybody's time on "workshop achmed's stupid poo poo" so if i go overboard please don't feel bad at telling me to simmer down

one thing: when you say "crop it towards the bottom of the hills", that means crop out more of the greenery at the bottom, right? it sounds that way from context but I just wanted to make sure I'm not totally misunderstanding

i may have mashed the "lighten it up" button too much in post in the interest of More Green - I'll include something not as intense on my second go-around

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, it's really not that bad, maybe a bit underwhelming, and to be clear there is nothing wrong with that

there isn't much i can say is technically wrong with it because rotating the aspect even nets you a decent crop

(which was literally just at a random point, there are probably others that work better)

there are several elements of any landscape that can and do make for interesting pictures. sometimes when you pull out and take a wide shot of them though, it doesn't work out. i feel like that's what happened here

lmao yeah wow that's way more interesting to look at. i actually took some zoomed in stuff, too, that i mostly threw away - maybe it's still in the recycle bin and I should give it a second look!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

interesting, thank you! and that doesn't feel harsh at all, this is literally the type of advice I was hoping for :)

I will have a try at fixing it a bit at lunch. I have some other photos of different angles, but they have weird spots on the lens that I assume are from dust getting on it. i don't wan to waste too much of everybody's time on "workshop achmed's stupid poo poo" so if i go overboard please don't feel bad at telling me to simmer down

one thing: when you say "crop it towards the bottom of the hills", that means crop out more of the greenery at the bottom, right? it sounds that way from context but I just wanted to make sure I'm not totally misunderstanding

i may have mashed the "lighten it up" button too much in post in the interest of More Green - I'll include something not as intense on my second go-around

yeah to be clear that is what i mean. it's kind of hard to explain in text, but you got it

fwiw when you're doing edits the "brightness" slider is a trap. kind of. think of it as literally making the sun or lights in the room brighter, with all of the consequences

a better way to manage contrast is with gamma edits and shadows/highlights. sometimes you need to mask some of it off for this, sometimes you don't

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

nice setting. focus more on the winding path in the center there.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Achmed Jones posted:

you might find a graduated nd filter will help you tone down the sky but for the most part, a big empty blue sky isn't worth half the frame

one thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that you might find it easier to emphasise tone and contrast by taking a black and white photo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i haven't had any time to actually try to do what y'all said yet - but this was open in photoshop that I'd forgotten about when I opened my personal machine. I had it cropped like this, but not actually altered or saved. The angle is a bit better, as you get the leftmost island but are able tp crop out the water tank (or whatever). The colors seem better in Adobe than they do in Pixelmator to me, too, which is a bit disappointing but welp

this one also has the horizon straight without needing to do a touchup rotation (lol)

will still need to have another go properly taking everyone's advice into mind, but have to get back to work now (stupid work makes me do poo poo that isn't playing with photos and stuff)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

that’s definitely some improvement

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

President Beep posted:

that’s definitely some improvement

yeah. it seems like you had already thought of most of the things (that i said, anyway) and that's good. eventually you start to do it beforehand

which doesn't make it any less frustrating when it happens, because it absolutely still does, just less frequently lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok! I found an angle that I think will work better. here's the image as-shot:

and here's the edited version:

here is a slightly tighter edit - I was worried about the shapeless stuff beef mentioned at hte bottom. but i like it better with some kind of grounding there, it feels kind of top-heavy and wobbly almost without the grass there at the bottom. but here's that edit:

edit: actually, i like this tighter crop better here when it's smaller than I did when I was editing at full screen. significantly better. not sure which of the two crops I ultimately prefer, but it makes more sense to me at least

I also tried my hand at a b&w image. i liked this crop with more of the clouds and stuff in b&w, i don't really know why but the little extra hill there seemed boring in color, but that + the clouds had interest in b&w. maybe i'm just making things up to feel like a smart opinion-haver though

and here's a beepic taken with that 30mm (60mm FF equivalent) macro lens:

while I was out playing with the bees, I realized that, when I was using exposure bracketing, I had set it 2/3 of a stop lower exposure, because I was bracketing at as-set, +2/3, -2/3 and figured I'd be more likely to have -4/3 be a good picture than for +2/3 to be good. anyway, that was on for the entire hike, which explains a lot. I couldn't see the viewfinder and stuff very well because I was having to take off my (polarized) sunglasses, and didn't want to use the big screen because dust, dirt, not wanting to gently caress with it when I was trying to hike, etc. anyway, I turned off bracketing because it was negatively affecting my burst ability, but I forgot to reset the exposure and that's why stuff was so dark and disappointing on the hike, i think

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

can you get closer to the path? if you can stand right on it and shoot up its route you’ll get a neat perspective.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nice! i like the bee. you're probably right about bracket burst too, that sometimes happens to me also

yeah, for a crop i would leave a bit at the bottom. but since you're going for a picture of hills, the best way to illustrate the contrast between individual hills is probably with lighting and shadows (imo anyway) since you're dealing with a two-dimensional image, at least to illustrate depth that might not otherwise be communicated effectively because of the wide focal length. kinda functioning like cues i guess. converting to grayscale can definitely help that too since you are forced to think about it

and that isn't specifically criticism of your picture anyway, just what my thought process was when i thought of how i might frame something like that. i think you've got an idea of what you want to do differently

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 22, 2023

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Achmed Jones posted:

I also tried my hand at a b&w image. i liked this crop with more of the clouds and stuff in b&w, i don't really know why but the little extra hill there seemed boring in color, but that + the clouds had interest in b&w. maybe i'm just making things up to feel like a smart opinion-haver though

sometimes b/w is just nicer because it emphasises contrast that isn't always obvious in color

but i am a b/w liker

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
on b/w, here's a catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

*the yashica is also a piece of poo poo.

It's okay, my TLR is a Seagull I got in Shanghai for like 15 dollars and I guarantee it's an even bigger piece of poo poo.

It still takes great photos if you stop down.