Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Had a Nidhogg trial once where a sprout got the stack marker and proceeded to run as far and as fast away from the group as possible. He immediately died of course and the marker snapped into the group and all the veterans had a quick laugh.

I think that was at the time the first time a stack marker appears outside of Savage/Extreme content, but I'm guessing that honor might be taken by an earlier trial now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kwyndig posted:

I think that was at the time the first time a stack marker appears outside of Savage/Extreme content, but I'm guessing that honor might be taken by an earlier trial now.
I think the first mandatory fight that has stack markers now is in the Praetorium, against Nero tol Scaeva. I remember a Black Mage getting obliterated by it twice in the same fight and thinking he was just picking someone to randomly delete because she didn't notice the stack marker the first time, and didn't understand it the second time. :shobon:

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
The reworking of the older ARR content to introduce mechanics that later became standard was such a welcome change!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

They also added modern looking stack markers to stack attacks in the Crystal Tower raids.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
RIP "touch balls" jokes.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Kwyndig posted:

Had a Nidhogg trial once where a sprout got the stack marker and proceeded to run as far and as fast away from the group as possible. He immediately died of course and the marker snapped into the group and all the veterans had a quick laugh.

This vid has minor visual spoilers for the fight spoiled here: https://youtu.be/43yi_W4FpG8

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

orcane posted:

RIP "touch balls" jokes.
You can still get those with positive/negative charge mechanics.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

The training fight in the preceeding dungeon actually has it now! It's actually preparation for the fight and not completely unrelated mechanics!

Also has anyone else run Aetherochem since the patch? I got it in roulettes and actually wiped on the last boss once, so I brought in my free trial sprout friends to see if they could manage it (they had just completed 3.3). Wiped a lot even with callouts (had about 30 left on the timer when we cleared it). Really seems out of depth for the MSQ overall.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

derra posted:

The training fight in the preceeding dungeon actually has it now! It's actually preparation for the fight and not completely unrelated mechanics!

Also has anyone else run Aetherochem since the patch? I got it in roulettes and actually wiped on the last boss once, so I brought in my free trial sprout friends to see if they could manage it (they had just completed 3.3). Wiped a lot even with callouts (had about 30 left on the timer when we cleared it). Really seems out of depth for the MSQ overall.
There's a part of me that isn't surprised, since between the new Praetorium and Pandaemonium they've been doing a lot to make Lahabrea an actual mechanical threat in gameplay as opposed to a joke who gets curbstomped in 10 seconds.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

derra posted:

Had a recent experience in a roulette with two sprout players, and we beat the last boss with something like 35 minutes left as well. Everyone ate a few rounds or orbs before we understood/remembered what the hell that was, but even after that death seemed to be extremely close all the time. Definitely got me going "Wait, hold on, what's this now" after a few wipes, even if I can't exactly place a finger on just what exactly made it so difficult that time.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

derra posted:

it's really funny how the boss to aetherochemical research facility is like that now when the trial that follows it is still as clownshoes as it was prepatch.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They should really cap the item level of the final boss trials. It's a very easy to implement "fix" to them being pretty underwhelming these days.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'd assumed they'd rework the fight like they did with Ultima Weapon but since they didn't, I'm gonna guess that they're saving it for if/when they get around to adding duty support to post-2.0 trials.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

The final boss of 3.0 doesn't need a rework, it's mechanically fine, it just needs to ilvl sync because if people have 270 gear it goes down far too quick

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That raids and trials don't have a proper ilvl cap makes the earlier patch raids and trials completely stupid.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I can fool myself into thinking it works in the context of the dumb old man doesn't really have a grasp on the eye's power and ends up getting positively spanked pretty quickly

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I got to the end of ARR and wow... what a string of boss battles to close things out. I haven't felt some of those feelings since like... the 90's fighting Sephiroth lol it all seemed to come together pretty perfectly, as I had only just gotten comfortable enough with the combat mechanics and my rotations in time to be able to handle and actually enjoy those long solo fights.

I'm thinking now is the time to grind some alt jobs and the crafting classes while I still have the free trial. I got my thaumaturge up to lvl 15 but it wasn't really hooking me. I've found that I have a lot more fun when I'm staring at a bunch of flashing lights where my character should be rather than running around the edges of the arena and casting one thing at a time. do the caster and healer jobs become more "rewarding" with that in mind? I'm afraid I might just dislike the fundamentals of those class/job and leveling them up would just be a waste of time.

I've been having a good time tanking with my paladin so far, but I've recently graduated a ninja and I am loving how snappy and involved it is. would I likely get a lot out a dark knight or gunbreaker?

I'm probably overthinking this

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Arcanist/Summoner is a good entry drug into casters, since it has a fair amount of instant casts even at low levels and it only gets more and more as it goes.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Now would certainly be a great point to take in some side content, try other jobs etc. Loads of blue quests should have unlocked at the waking sands and the major cities, and you now have flying too!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

only problem with summoner is it can feel slow and plodding up until you're almost done leveling to 90, but they do seed in the flashing lights and sounds over time.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

oh I am doing all that stuff too!

btw do the early level side quests eventually go away as you get deeper into the game? or am I going to be playing through like endwalker and still staring at oceans of level 1 50 exp side quest exclamation points in the major cities

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

God Hole posted:

oh I am doing all that stuff too!

btw do the early level side quests eventually go away as you get deeper into the game? or am I going to be playing through like endwalker and still staring at oceans of level 1 50 exp side quest exclamation points in the major cities

The early sidequest markers will be there forever, silently judging you

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

God Hole posted:

I got to the end of ARR and wow... what a string of boss battles to close things out. I haven't felt some of those feelings since like... the 90's fighting Sephiroth lol it all seemed to come together pretty perfectly, as I had only just gotten comfortable enough with the combat mechanics and my rotations in time to be able to handle and actually enjoy those long solo fights.

I'm thinking now is the time to grind some alt jobs and the crafting classes while I still have the free trial. I got my thaumaturge up to lvl 15 but it wasn't really hooking me. I've found that I have a lot more fun when I'm staring at a bunch of flashing lights where my character should be rather than running around the edges of the arena and casting one thing at a time. do the caster and healer jobs become more "rewarding" with that in mind? I'm afraid I might just dislike the fundamentals of those class/job and leveling them up would just be a waste of time.

I've been having a good time tanking with my paladin so far, but I've recently graduated a ninja and I am loving how snappy and involved it is. would I likely get a lot out a dark knight or gunbreaker?

There are three classes I'd recommend for all new players:
Dark Knight - best job quest storyline in the game. Worth getting up to at least 80 just for the story, even if you don't actually play the class otherwise.

Marauder/Warrior - SSS tier in all side content due to its frequent burst phases and incredibly strong healing (both for themselves and for their allies). It's also fantastic for getting comfortable with big pulls when you're tanking dungeons thanks to its short defensive cooldown basically being an invulnerability button against large groups of enemies.

Arcanist/Summoner(+Scholar): Easiest job to play in the game thanks to its simplicity and large number of instant casts (you only have to hardcast two/three spells per minute depending on how high level you are, compared to BLM needing to hardcast almost everything), and comes with a free healer so you can do the role quests in Shadowbringers and Endwalker. Also really powerful in side content thanks to its incredibly strong burst phases, which are strong enough to sometimes rip aggro off the tank during dungeon pulls.

A couple of others I'd recommend:
Dancer - Another incredibly easy job to play, and helps the party a lot even if you yourself are terrible. Just remember to use both your dances as soon as they come off cooldown, instead of trying to hold onto them.

Lancer/Dragoon - Very static rotation that's hard to gently caress up, just press everything as it comes off cooldown. Doing the questline will also introduce you to the main conflict of Heavensward.

Samurai - My main. Big damage with little responsibility when it comes to throwing out party buffs, also the big iaijutsu attacks feel amazing to use.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I started clearing my maps of side quests, one zone at a time. The individual stories are all great at fleshing out the world so far, but by god is it tedious. I only have the EW/arr zones cleared. The catholic elves have so many quests....

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Solution: do all side quests while you’re MSQing and level two classes.

Except Moogles. gently caress the Moogles.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Fun fact I just learned yesterday! If you're trying to click on an aetheryte crystal to TP there but there are yellow quest icons blocking it - holding ctrl will bring the aetheryte to the foreground! (Yes every zone is covered in yellow quests for me I'm never doing that nonsense)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The stormblood Warrior quests are the best job quests in the game :colbert:

But before that, yeah. Dark Knight is peak.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I would point out that if someone has only just beaten the 2.0 msq they're still a ways off being able to unlock Dark Knight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vitamean posted:

only problem with summoner is it can feel slow and plodding up until you're almost done leveling to 90, but they do seed in the flashing lights and sounds over time.

It's not too bad when you get trance at around 60. Your Ruin 3s becoming instacast help speed things up a lot.

Also don't forget to resummon Carbuncle if you die!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I generally only do side quests if I really like the area or find them interesting -- doing them all aright away grinds MSQ'ing to a halt.

Also in addition, DRK starts at 30 so you still need put in 20 levels to get them up to HW content. But its still worth it because the 30-50 DRK questline is pretty good

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Summoner is always my DPS of choice in level 60+ content, but if I know I'll be synced to 50 or below I take another job (Bard, usually).

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've done all sidequests because making exclamation points disappear is one of my main sources of joy in this whacked-up world.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

God Hole posted:

Being able to try things out and knowing your preferences is a good thing. I started as Pugilist-Monk and that was fine but then I switched to Lancer-Dragoon because... I wanted to look like Kain from FF4. Go ahead and try different jobs and ask questions here.

Also overthinking is a common MMO player trait so you're doing just fine.

FuturePastNow posted:

if I know I'll be synced to 50 or below I take another job (Bard, usually).
This is a weird choice to me because Bard only having two songs at level 50 makes it feel so awful to play imo

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

hopeandjoy posted:

Solution: do all side quests while you’re MSQing and level two classes.

Except Moogles. gently caress the Moogles.

Buddy,

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

iPodschun posted:

Being able to try things out and knowing your preferences is a good thing. I started as Pugilist-Monk and that was fine but then I switched to Lancer-Dragoon because... I wanted to look like Kain from FF4. Go ahead and try different jobs and ask questions here.

Also overthinking is a common MMO player trait so you're doing just fine.

This is a weird choice to me because Bard only having two songs at level 50 makes it feel so awful to play imo

thanks, that's reassuring. I'm really digging how great this community is in general. also that's def valid, Kain is dope.

Feldegast42 posted:

I generally only do side quests if I really like the area or find them interesting -- doing them all aright away grinds MSQ'ing to a halt.

yeah this has generally been my way of going about things. it pays off sometimes too, I stopped in Bronze Lake for some reason while I was in the middle of the Hildibrand SQ and decided to do a random SQ while I was there, so I inadvertently ended up giving Godbert two unrelated deep tissue massages in the span of about 5 minutes

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As a WoW refugee, I had fun with the idea that my main from WoW had literally stumbled into a new setting, taking the idea of "WoW Refugee" to a whoooole new level.

Started as a Pugilist, since he was a rogue in WoW and Pugilist kinda comes closest to that out of the starting classes - especially since that WoW Rogue uses fist weapons. Went rogue as soon as I got to Limsa, and its been my "main" job ever since. Though uhh, Jon has definitely become fond of the Gunblade. I enjoy the style, and frankly, that thing is just a really fun new toy for the character. He's sad that he can't take it home with him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

As a WoW refugee, I had fun with the idea that my main from WoW had literally stumbled into a new setting, taking the idea of "WoW Refugee" to a whoooole new level.

Started as a Pugilist, since he was a rogue in WoW and Pugilist kinda comes closest to that out of the starting classes - especially since that WoW Rogue uses fist weapons. Went rogue as soon as I got to Limsa, and its been my "main" job ever since. Though uhh, Jon has definitely become fond of the Gunblade. I enjoy the style, and frankly, that thing is just a really fun new toy for the character. He's sad that he can't take it home with him.

I Died In <current_tier_WoW_raid> And Woke Up In Limsa Lominsa

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

SMN owns BLM is infuriating and not in a good way

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BlazetheInferno posted:

Though uhh, Jon has definitely become fond of the Gunblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I even have him canonically terrible at cooking, explicitly as a reference to an early Garfield comic. It's obscure enough that, to this day, no one has realized it without being told. He is never going to pick up Culinarian. I'll have to make an alt to do it.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 21, 2023