Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

idk if anyone else brought this up but an interesting data point for you - the place I’ve been at for a while (sf-based startup, got bought about two years ago) was founded by xooglers and a lot of their engineers didn’t like the ctci algo lottery style interviews from experience, so they switched to something that was pretty different; no live coding, just a bunch of “go through this function and tell me what it does”, “let’s diagram a system”, “explain something you’ve worked on in the past and let’s unpack it in the interview”, etc

candidates hated it, broadly. eventually there was so much pressure due to swe candidates bombing out that we switched to a more traditional live-coding style of technical interview.

while I like the idea behind “explain something you’ve worked on in the past” if they want a deep dive I’d probably waste way too much time trying to remember what is public and what isn’t

I’ve not minded the “what does this code do” interviews I’ve had in the past but I’ve only encountered those so far with embedded positions so they’re more C pointer syntax/implications tests. I could see it being problematic if you use code examples turn it into a framework/standard library quiz.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mantle posted:

Wtf? I would love that type of interview. It would be a great way to figure out what it's like to work with the interviews.

strong agree, i cannot wrap my head around anyone hating that style of interview. i'm really curious about what this common "bombing out" looked like.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

raminasi posted:

strong agree, i cannot wrap my head around anyone hating that style of interview. i'm really curious about what this common "bombing out" looked like.

I imagine the job where kitten emergency works gets a lot of people fresh out of college who expect a Cracking the Coding Interview style of interview, or beep boop robot silicon valley types who have sacrificed social skills for their abilities to memorize algorithms.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

raminasi posted:

it’s been a couple years since we switched but the biggest thing was people who were good on paper but couldn’t talk through the system/past project stuff (because they were worried about public vs nonpublic stuff for example), or actually withdrew themselves because they didn’t think we were “rigorous” enough

edit: mostly sv brained people - we were hiring pretty senior people then

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

beep boop robot silicon valley types who have sacrificed social skills for their abilities to memorize algorithms.

And do you really want to work with these people?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i mean, yes, empirically, seems like?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

kitten emergency posted:

candidates hated it, broadly.

what the gently caress

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ultrafilter posted:

And do you really want to work with these people?

its not a matter of if i want to work with them or not

its a matter of how im going to destroy them dr manhattan style if they keep on writing dogshit defects against our product because they dont like the UI

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the "talk through it" interviews work really well for me because i can do that and i'm a cis guy with light skin and control over what type of accent i use. interviews that lean more into conversational styles are basically alley-oops most of the time unless it's actually a place that i wouldn't want to work. this is especially true if there's no formal rubric structuring the evaluation of the conversation. in my experience, the people who think conversational style interviews are better very rarely have rubrics implemented. as someone who cares about minimizing the effects of bias in hiring, i don't like giving those kind of interviews though. unless it's explicitly as a shitbird filter, then it's ok i guess

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

a good shitbird filter is important.

typically, we throw in a data structure question and then do followup questions until they get stuck, mostly to see how they handle not knowing something.

its okay if they get flustered with a question they don’t know, good if they seem eager to learn something they didn’t before, and bad if they get defensive and tell you what school they graduated from

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Achmed Jones posted:

control over what type of accent i use

Talking through how I "theenk" so the other Californians in the room implicitly trust me

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

somehow i've put myself into an interview process with five technicals and then a panel at the end

thunderdome feels really unappealing right now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

dioxazine posted:

five technicals and then a panel at the end

gross. Like back to back?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

thankfully not, but it will probably take two weeks

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dioxazine posted:

somehow i've put myself into an interview process with five technicals and then a panel at the end

thunderdome feels really unappealing right now

what do they expect to learn from the fifth technical not uncovered from the four previous?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

maybe they have a distinct separation of duties and each person only does one thing and they combine into voltron at the end to become a full stack CTO?

i'm not too worried, i'll probably flame out by the third

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

champagne posting posted:

what do they expect to learn from the fifth technical not uncovered from the four previous?

that’s normal FAANG interviewing, it’s 5 different people talking to you

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s normal FAANG interviewing, it’s 5 different people talking to you

i remember goog being 3 but its been a while

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
goog has been five for a while, unless you're converting to full-time from an internship.

it's not supposed to be five technical algo-lottery interviews though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in my org it's 2 coding, 2 domain knowledge (presumably architecture/design for SWEs), and 1 googleyness/leadership

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

With the recent layoffs, and hiring freezes I keep on hearing about, is it worth applying for tech jobs now? Or should I wait a couple of months?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

how does holding off help things?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I don't actually know. My thinking was with the recent FAANG layoffs a lot of people would be applying, and with the hiring freezes in place there would only be a fewer slots open than usually and that waiting a few months would help out with both.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Might as well keep an eye open and apply to anything looks appealing. Maybe your odds aren't great but they're better than the zero you get from not applying.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
I haven't been applying non-stop to places, but I still haven't been able to land an interview -- I did have a phone screen with Google, but it was the week before their layoffs and then my recruiter got impacted/assigned to a different team lol. a month later they reconnected and were like "cool you passed but we don't have any teams open for you right now so we're dropping the application" :(

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Apparently this is a volume game. It's been so long since I've had to do this that I'm not sure what is normal. I'd say to start applying now because I've sent a ton of stuff out and it's completely crickets.

I had one initial phone chat via a friend but everything I thought could be fun about the role wasn't actually part of the role, so I withdrew.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

havelock posted:

Apparently this is a volume game. It's been so long since I've had to do this that I'm not sure what is normal. I'd say to start applying now because I've sent a ton of stuff out and it's completely crickets.

I had one initial phone chat via a friend but everything I thought could be fun about the role wasn't actually part of the role, so I withdrew.

I didn't mean to imply that I had stopped applying. I have pretty much been applying for spots nonstop since the year started. The only in person interview I have landed was at adobe, but found out weeks later after trying to follow up and not getting responses that I was rejected.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

how long do folks wait before no-showing a candidate?

i was talking to our hr person while waiting today, and she said she never waits more than 2-3 minutes, while i was worried that my 5-8 minutes might be too short.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i was talking to our hr person while waiting today, and she said she never waits more than 2-3 minutes, while i was worried that my 5-8 minutes might be too short.

your hr is a psychopath and has caused you to miss out on qualified candidates

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

one minute for every misspelling in the job posting

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i would probably give them 10

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Truman Peyote posted:

i would probably give them 10
10 minutes is what id give them too

although it depends on how hard the job is to fill - if the req has sat open for four months and this is the first qualified person weve been able to bring in, i might wait a little longer

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

your hr is a psychopath and has caused you to miss out on qualified candidates

But we already knew that.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I usually zone out after about 5 minutes and leave the call open for another 5 minutes before calling it.

If you had the nerve to join an interview 10+ minutes late I’d probably give you some points for it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

tk posted:

I usually zone out after about 5 minutes and leave the call open for another 5 minutes before calling it.

If you had the nerve to join an interview 10+ minutes late I’d probably give you some points for it.

it was in this context that i recently learned of an apparent zoom bug where it will somehow put two people who are putatively in the same room in separate ones, so that they both think that the other no-showed

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

heh, usually we use zoom, but this was another goddamn calendly candidate that insisted on hangouts

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nudgenudgetilt posted:

is it an online meeting? Then I'd give people way more because computers are awful.

If you've reached your waiting limit why not give them a call? You have phones right?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

champagne posting posted:

is it an online meeting? Then I'd give people way more because computers are awful.

If you've reached your waiting limit why not give them a call? You have phones right?

lolwat

a primary responsibility of the job is showing up to meetings on time via computer. this particular candidate went so far as to insist we use their scheduling software and their video conferencing software for the call instead of our own. i'm definitely not calling someone to see why they didn't show up when i could instead start looking at the resume for my next call.

i'm not so cruel as to only give 2-3 minutes, but by 8 minutes you better have a pretty loving amusing story for me, and a total no-email/no-show is getting a generic rejection letter.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

on occasion i have had issues with zoom that require a reboot in worst cases, which can double combofuck you over since you are already probably sweating bullets debugging audio issues 1 minute before the interview

on the other hand, you should always do a quick sound-video check before calls like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

4lokos basilisk posted:

on occasion i have had issues with zoom that require a reboot in worst cases, which can double combofuck you over since you are already probably sweating bullets debugging audio issues 1 minute before the interview

on the other hand, you should always do a quick sound-video check before calls like that

poo poo happens, but if you can't reboot your poo poo in 5 minutes in 2023....

and I'd hope you'd shoot an e-mail "I'm running a moment behind"