Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks y'all!

re: getting closer i thought i had one of the super steep wash i went up, but i didn't. might give it a try the next time i go back, though! thanks for the rec!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i had a couple yashica point and shoots, slrs and rangefinders. they were all pretty good :confused:

idk about argus though

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

It's okay, my TLR is a Seagull I got in Shanghai for like 15 dollars and I guarantee it's an even bigger piece of poo poo.

It still takes great photos if you stop down.

that’s cool. seagulls definitely have a place In inexpensive camera history. at one time they also had a license from minolta to crank out x370s as rebadged vivitars and whatnot too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
on the subject of landscapes and trails this is probably my favorite picture I’ve ever taken. same trip as the centurian i posted above. I’ve posted it before but it’s been a while.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

in the grand scheme of things it’s middling but for me it’s very good. when i took a black & white darkroom printing class a few years back i made big prints for our place and for my mom and dad.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

beautiful. morning or afternoon?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it feels like there’s sweet fuckall to photograph around here. if i was less lazy I’m sure i could make something of what’s around here but it just seems so mundane.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

beautiful. morning or afternoon?

just after sunrise

it's a spot up the hills that looks down into that valley/bay, and I can spin around and look back on christchurch, which is this photo

but christchurch was completely clouded over with low cloud only on one side of the hills. you can see just the very beginnings of the sun on the clouds

almost all of the good shots I've ever taken, of places or of people, have been done around sunrise/sunset.

its a good reason to get my rear end out of bed

they were taken on a 50mm on a crop sensor so equiv of 85mm.. which is middle of the road, but goes to show, I think you get excellent value from fuckin telephotos in landscape

this is a repost - but also taken on 135mm:

again tho, I'm fundamentally broekn and simply can't take good wide pjhot

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 22, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
man echi those are really begging for better contrast lol

the last one looks pretty good to be fair. but the first ones look like they could really stretch and limiting it seems like it's hurting more than it helps there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

man echi those are really begging for better contrast lol

the last one looks pretty good to be fair. but the first ones look like they could really stretch and limiting it seems like it's hurting more than it helps there

it was a hazy morning, I haven't "de-contrasted" them at all. (actually lol I realise I did raise the blacks on one ;), but nothing else )

spose my issue is that when I increase the contrast, it looks fake. and like, something I aim for with my work is some kind of feeling of what it really was like, and that's what it was like

feel free to have a crack at them.. I'm curious to see if I'll feel like they look fake*

https://mega.nz/file/vUR2FDIS#MVnAktVgaqi43kebKlIRF2FFkY2OTTruRtJrPi98BXY
https://mega.nz/file/rRgykYZA#GumxrhIFDCv5uYgg5JF7wHWkUm1mOS8ocK6vWo4VW0w

*this is one of the only images I've purposely upped the contrast, with the dehaze tool amongst others

it's never sat right with me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I really like LR’s dehaze for bumping up contrast without making stuff look fake and over processed.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

if you don't mind leaving them up i can take a stab at them tomorrow, but yeah i understand your reservations

i guess thats partially why whenever i import something into photoshop or whatever literally one of the first things i do is crank the contrast down to at least -50%. if you're trying something like dehaze or clarity, those all enhance contrast, just in differing areas as opposed to the image overall or a select area

the exact methods are proprietary for adobe's crap but dehaze seems to be a combination of gamma tweaks and associated contrast adjustments for balance. clarity is probably selective per-item contrast (item being individual pixels, highlights, shadows, etc)

which means adjusting either one will gently caress up the contrast pretty badly. it's a pretty common mistake people make and it gives things a very artificial feel as a result

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh also it was the second one, you raised the black levels on the second one

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

these are nice and bring me pleasure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

oh also it was the second one, you raised the black levels on the second one
when i said one i meant “one of them” lol

but yeah no worries, only put them up because you seem to enjoy having a crack at others stuff

does that steamy river scene give off over-processed vibes to anyone else? the scene was so misty and hazy and the original photo was really too hazy to be worthwhile. by the time I’d cleaned up the haze, it kinda left the photo looking over saturated maybe?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

these are nice and bring me pleasure

thankyou, for this is all I aim to do

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

when i said one i meant “one of them” lol

but yeah no worries, only put them up because you seem to enjoy having a crack at others stuff

does that steamy river scene give off over-processed vibes to anyone else? the scene was so misty and hazy and the original photo was really too hazy to be worthwhile. by the time I’d cleaned up the haze, it kinda left the photo looking over saturated maybe?

ehh no, if anything it looks again deliberately de-emphasized, but that's probably because you were aware of this and adjusted it lol

the edit really isn't that bad either, but it also looks a bit flat now. there's a lot of really beautiful colors and the composition is good, but you might've gone too far in trying to make it look less dynamic. imo of course and i haven't looked at the raws yet but that's my hot take

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
theres this effect some photographers do and they do it lightroom apparently where its like they restrict the palette to like 6 colours, and make everything fit that. wish I could find an example, but I wonder if it's done thru manipulation of hue sliders etc. spose with no examples its hard to explain.

useless post I know

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

https://mega.nz/file/LUZVnKqY#5radCJETLCET5kBtVCwr9CEqYgw1hVU_chOJ8IvtnXE

man I was right, the original image was so misty it's amazing anything got recovered at all

anyway also here is a photo I like:

weirdly, any attempts to remove the glare ruin the image for me. I only like it while it still has the vibe of having the sun streaming in your face. maybe it's just a poo poo photo lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i can't even get myself to do my own work so i didn't spend a lot of time on this

but i tried to approach them as i would normally anyone else's work and just basically went with what looked right to me in a snap decision. that doesn't mean that this is correct or even really good, but i've found it's helpful to do something like this quickly, take it in as it was modified, then come back to it later (because your eyes can get fatigued looking at the same thing over and over for a really long time)

there is a lot in this scene. it felt like the contrast was too shallow before because there's a lot of great colors and lighting. as for feeling artificial — well, i have not been to many places that look like this. perhaps it's just unique

same with this really, it wasn't bad as-is and i'm not sure what else would improve it much. some of it was hidden behind a camera preset. it's fine to go with something that isn't a literal rendering of what you had seen at the time and this strikes a decent balance imo

this one is also quite nice in terms of dynamics but yeah it's pretty bad straight out of the cam. after applying something like dehaze (but not dehaze) a lot of it was quite recoverable, but imo it was a bit too green the way it was. yeeaah maybe i went a bit far in the other direction but i think it works

like i said i guess i can come back to these later, but i generally find hot takes on exposure and composure to be decent enough. sometimes i'll hit on something much later but this is sort of more instinctual, if you get what i mean (it's hard to explain)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

messing with curves a bit

for tonality anyway, the luminosity looks about the same even if it's not

this one still looked a little hazy. maybe better?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

like i said stepping away for a bit and then coming back to it helps

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol ok this feels fake

but in a good way i guess, it doesn't seem artificial. just... fantastical? i guess? man i'd love to go take some pics there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember my friends using velvia film back in the day and raving about it so when I got my first fuji a few years back I immediately started using it and the digital simulation just makes everything purple like that edit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the original was quite green so i had adjusted the white balance the first time around, but i just did the r/g/b curves individually to end up there also, on the second edit. seems to suit the scene pretty well, or at least a weird idealized version of new zealand lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

I remember my friends using velvia film back in the day and raving about it so when I got my first fuji a few years back I immediately started using it and the digital simulation just makes everything purple like that edit

yeah velvia is way too saturated imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

bit of a brighter curve. i feel like that's pretty well balanced now. you could probably do a grayscale conversion pretty easily from there

anyway i guess i'll stop messing with it again lol. interesting experiment

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol infrared LUT in top of the color image is interesting

anyway

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

It's somewhere by/on cougar mountain. Licorice fern trail i think? It's not the most interesting hike but it's a fine winter stroll

Ah cool I went to coal creek last week and took a couple of photos of waterfalls too.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh wow beef thankyou!!

yeah there’s definitely a fatigue thing or something where shifting it too far from the original state looks immediately wrong, and I probably need to just come back to them after a bit

I actually really like your very first attempt at the scene with the hills and the township, a lot.

appreciate the time you’ve put into them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

oh wow beef thankyou!!

yeah there’s definitely a fatigue thing or something where shifting it too far from the original state looks immediately wrong, and I probably need to just come back to them after a bit

I actually really like your very first attempt at the scene with the hills and the township, a lot.

appreciate the time you’ve put into them

lol no problem, those were more serious attempts at addressing what you'd specifically identified as issues that concern you

the later ones were just more messing around (except maybe the one with the powerlines pretty much mid-frame). there's a good photo there, you just gotta find it

i think it's interesting doing this kind of stuff anyway. for the others my thought process can be kinda condensed to: i've never been to NZ but i assume the clouds work the same way — which means that, yes, in shadow during sunrise, clouds will look purpley. yeah, it's autumn there, so i guess a more magenta palette might be appropriate. but lol it also looks fantastical, probably because i have no idea what it actually looks like!

...and that's fine i think -> :justpost:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do we really need to see six slightly edited versions of the same photo every time echi posts something

at least make them into a contact sheet in one post or somethign

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

do we really need to see six slightly edited versions of the same photo every time echi posts something

fair enough, but i didnt do them all at once and had different ideas at different times. not really sure how to communicate that effectively otherwise but it's a good point

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Beeftweeter posted:

fair enough, but i didnt do them all at once and had different ideas at different times. not really sure how to communicate that effectively otherwise but it's a good point

its fine imo, i usually go "cool" and scroll past them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i thought it was interesting and wouldn’t have paid each image much mind if they were all mashed together

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

in short, beeftweeter please ignore sourbrush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

in short, beeftweeter please ignore sourbrush

sagebrusque