Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/thetrough/status/1626662830131798020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol they definitely trained it on dril tweets

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760?s=20

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is also kind of fair game, in that i think mainstream headline tech press is the one writing field where just about any ai model is clearly a bit more eloquent and clever then the humans already at work.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

wrap it up PR department i think this things got it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol. a good bing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:toot:

quote:

Known as Microsoft Teams 2.0 or 2.1 internally, Microsoft has been working on this new Teams client for years. The app should use 50 percent less memory, tax the CPU less, and result in better battery life on laptops.

While Microsoft shipped some of this early work in the built-in Teams experience for consumers in Windows 11, businesses running Teams have been using the older Teams client due to the amount of work involved for Microsoft to rebuild the client. This new app moves Teams away from Electron and to Microsoft’s Edge Webview2 technology. Microsoft has also moved to React, a Javascript library, that will offer further UI improvements for Teams in the coming months.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

If they are rewriting the client, you'd think they'd be doing it in Maui, their newer .net ui framework that's supposed to run on everything.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
making it web based in the first place was a combination of some idiot exec trying to salvage the microsoft purchase of electron and only wanting to hire low cost web "developers"/interns to do the work.

going to edge webview2 is them trying to fix it while retaining backwards compat. they've been trying (and failing) to fix the teams client for longer than .net maui has been around.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I can't believe they actually managed to replace Skype for Business with something that sucks worse
microsoft, uh, finds a way

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Intel and AMD must be bribing MS to prevent them from making an actual native client

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

I can't believe they actually managed to replace Skype for Business with something that sucks worse
microsoft, uh, finds a way

nah, teams sucks but sfb was still so much worse.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Imagine what a good showpiece for maiouiueio it would be if a piece of software that millions of people use daily was built in it to a high standard

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

imagine if microsoft could summon any attention to detail whatsoever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

imagine if microsoft could summon any attention to detail whatsoever

yep. in fact, a hearty lol at "imagine if they put in a lot of effort and made teams a good thing?" the technology basis is not nearly enough to explain the mess, the split between flavors of teams is in fact a huge user headache *caused* by microsoft going "lets change the technology basis" without bothering to do the first *or* second version good.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

distortion park posted:

Imagine what a good showpiece for maiouiueio it would be if a piece of software that millions of people use daily was built in it to a high standard

the microsoft corporate IM client can never be good so if you try to make it the showpiece for some framework it'll just doom the framework

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

distortion park posted:

I'm sure you're not surprised at this but I'm trying to use MAUI.Graphics for some stuff because large parts of System.Drawing.Common don't work on Azure and it's a dumpster fire of half-implemented stuff with no documentation.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

what the gently caress microsoft you absolute shits why the gently caress did you make chedgium have a separate root CA store!?!? how the gently caress am i supposed to deploy certs to that via intune god this is bullshit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
certs deployed to the windows cert store seem to work fine in edge on my work comp

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my favorite feature of old google calendar (which they got rid of, assholes) was the natural language parsing thing where you could type "meet with dan 5:30 pm next tuesday room 229" and it would figure out exactly what you meant and make the calendar entry in a single shot.

is there anything like that in outlook? or a plugin that would do it? i hate opening a new window and filling out three or four fields for everything i add

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the windows mail app, if you copy an email address from chrome or whatever it might literally copy into the clipboard "mailto:sagebrush@egghead.com" and when you paste that into windows mail you have to manually delete the "mailto:" a scenario so rare of course the devs never thought to address

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
got new work laptop. forgot that all the customized application poo poo doesn't come over, grumble grumble.

but the fuckingest thing for me is the goddamn taskbar. why are the buttons so goddamn wide?! this makes no sense. :mad: this is gonna drive me nuts.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

in the windows mail app, if you copy an email address from chrome or whatever it might literally copy into the clipboard "mailto:sagebrush@egghead.com" and when you paste that into windows mail you have to manually delete the "mailto:" a scenario so rare of course the devs never thought to address

copying the mailto is dumb as hell. bug is in chome, wontfix.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/frantzfries/status/1628178202395873286

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they're right though. edge is just chrome but better. there's no reason to use chrome now

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I use Firefox again now after a decade of not using it. gently caress it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol i also went back to firefox

the alternatives forgot why they existed

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Firefox is the only browser that gives me reliable sound output on Microsoft Teams meetings

it crackles and pops on both chome and chedge, i think because the audio buffer is too short. wtf microsoft

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have never strayed from the one true path of mozilla

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

they're right though. edge is just chrome but better. there's no reason to use chrome now

except that requires change

im old now. i'll vote against my interests to avoid change

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

didnt know microsoft got another one on their payroll in here

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

chrome is a google product and so sadly must be shunned, so as to make it slightly harder for the panopticon to fix its seedy gaze on you

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I use ungoogled chromium since it has all the tracking stripped out. There’s Waterfox as well that does the same for Firefox.

Edge’s vertical tabs are really good though. I haven’t found an extension for chrome or Firefox that does it as well. There is one that has them in a separate window which isn’t as convenient.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Edge is also just a bit faster/more efficient. If you're using a Chromium browser (and not, say, the Real Opera, or Firefox), there's no reason to use the actual Google Chrome.

Pretty fun article on Billy G's obsession with Minesweeper: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/02/how-bill-gates-minesweeper-addiction-helped-lead-to-the-xbox/?comments=1&comments-page=1

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

edge does lovely desperate things like that injection ad and bing tie ins. I prefer to browse without that sort of loser stink following me around :smug:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Last Chance posted:

edge does lovely desperate things like that injection ad and bing tie ins. I prefer to browse without that sort of loser stink following me around :smug:

not trying to whattabout but has chrome ever done that sort of thing?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

not sure? but Microsoft has more opportunities to do so b/c it makes windows, so you get edge shoved in your face more if you use windows

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

I'd have to use it to find out so...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

i do have some bad news for you about the loser stink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

not to the extent of injecting ads into the page but every single google page pops up with “this is better in chrome!” when you visit using another browser

jesus WEP posted:

i have never strayed from the one true path of mozilla