Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

I made some rectangles on the living room wall. Also painted, got a new TV, and moved some stuff around:

Before, with bad lighting, paint samples on the wall, and various junk piled against the wall:

After, on a sunny day, cleanup still pending but better organized:

drat that looks great. I love the color and the mouldings really add a ton. Is your ceiling poured concrete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yup! It's mostly the result of highrise construction, but also a cheap-rear end builder. Also known as every builder ever.

The style grew on us, it's not quite in-your-face brutalist as it would be if all the walls were bare concrete as well. Even my :tito: rear end would think that's too much.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is your ceiling poured concrete?

I looked at it about 100 times and couldn't figure out what was going on there.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I made a bellows for a Speed Graphic large format camera as the one on it was well and truly perished.

Getting materials together. Various glues, cutting and drawing instruments as well as the 3 layers the bellows are made from, a blackout curtain, 300gsm cardboard and green vinyl.

The template drawn on the cardboard and ready for cutting.

A dual bladed cutter I made out of one of my many Opinels I had lying about.

Cutting the relief cuts into the cardboard, this will make the skeleton of the bellows.

All the relief cut and glued into place on the interior fabric of the bellows. The tape is there to hold the now seperated ribs in alignment.

Scoring all of the fold locations, this helps also with alignment.

Gluing the outer skin on.

Trimming and scoring the skin for ease of alignment and folding.

Gluing the bellows into shape.

Starting folding.

Finished product.

I'm very happy with it for my first DIY bellows however it is very much thicker than the original it's replacing which will be a problem for closing the camera. Eventually I'll do a second one with thinner material but for now this'll go on and do the job.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 12, 2023

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I love seeing something like that. Post some pics taken by the finished product?

Also, modifying an Opinel into a double cutter is brilliant!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Finally finished out some built-in bunk beds for the family river house. The rails still need staining, but my mom's been taking care of that.

The bottom rails and the ladder are removable, so that my brother can keep his young kids (2 and 5) from climbing up when they shouldn't, and older kids who don't need the bottom rail can get in and out of the bottom bunk easier.

The niche they're built into is a non-standard mattress size 30"x72", but it'll still work great for kids and shorter adults.

These look awesome! The only thing to be aware of is that any gaps on children's beds should either be so small they can not get their pelvis through, or so big their head can pass through easily. This is after some very sad events where kids have rolled over in the night, gone feet first through a gap and then got stuck at their neck. Also be aware that the edge of the mattress can compress, so gaps may actually work out different to how they look.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Trabant posted:

I love seeing something like that. Post some pics taken by the finished product?

Also, modifying an Opinel into a double cutter is brilliant!

I'll be sure to! The camera it's going on also needs a service before it can be used so I'll be sure to follow up when that's done.

Thanks, it's easily the most dangerous bespoke tool I've made.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

For those interested I've revived my old restoration and repair thread to go further into the servicing and repair of the camera the bellows is made for with a real big post on the leaf shutter service: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975259&pagenumber=2&perpage=40&userid=0#post529155385

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Really cool. My Grandfather used a Graflex in WWII. He's one of the guys featured in this magazine blurb/photo: https://books.google.com/books?id=z...ography&f=false

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

*dumb and posted in wrong forum*

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 27, 2023

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I built a raised planter box recently. Might need to do something for sealing it or painting it, not sure. Pretty pleased with how it turned out. It will be even nicer when it warms up and the flowers look nicer.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:3: And yeah, some kind of weather protection is probably in order.

Hope to one day -- if/when we're not condo dwellers -- make some for herb and vegetable purposes. Or an entire greenhouse... if my skills can catch up to my ambitions.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I was given a 3D printer for my birthday 10 months ago and have been enjoying using it to create all manner of items.

Recently I decided I wanted to create one of the Replicators from Stargate so I got to work.

This first one is my rough plan of how I want it to work. A lot of this has gone together with superglue and hot glue for the moment.

My intention is to get something with a cleaner look and with luck add mechanical aspects to make the limbs move and flap.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The great thing about a project like that is that you really only need to print a few to get started. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tsietisin posted:

I was given a 3D printer for my birthday 10 months ago and have been enjoying using it to create all manner of items.

Recently I decided I wanted to create one of the Replicators from Stargate so I got to work.

This first one is my rough plan of how I want it to work. A lot of this has gone together with superglue and hot glue for the moment.

My intention is to get something with a cleaner look and with luck add mechanical aspects to make the limbs move and flap.

That's good work, I recognized it immediately.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Tsietisin posted:

This rules. It makes me want to rewatch Stargate SG-1.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Have you ever looked at your keyboard and said "gosh darn it I sure wish I had more keys" well I did and I decided to do something about it.

The concept

A nice idea But I didn't want to go tearing up a rather expensive keyboard.

The alternative

The keyboard extender.yes I know some key caps are missing I lost them behind a desk ok

Sadly I lost all the build pics but it's made of 2 stainless steel keyboard plates cut and brazed together then silver soldered to a steel frame.
All 100 switches are wired together into a 10 by 10 matrix with diodes and are then connected to a driver board via a DB25 socket to make
swapping the driver board fast and easy.

It's a bit of a mess but it works

The result

I call it the FUMK board or the gently caress you more keys board, I still have finish the case and go through the painful process of flashing firmware onto it but in terms of hardware it's 90% done.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

coldpudding posted:

The result

I call it the FUMK board or the gently caress you more keys board, I still have finish the case and go through the painful process of flashing firmware onto it but in terms of hardware it's 90% done.

gently caress board - gently caress U Centi-Key board

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

coldpudding posted:

Have you ever looked at your keyboard and said "gosh darn it I sure wish I had more keys" well I did and I decided to do something about it.

The concept

The alternative

The keyboard extender.yes I know some key caps are missing I lost them behind a desk ok

Sadly I lost all the build pics but it's made of 2 stainless steel keyboard plates cut and brazed together then silver soldered to a steel frame.
All 100 switches are wired together into a 10 by 10 matrix with diodes and are then connected to a driver board via a DB25 socket to make

The result

lmao it's a loving monstrosity and I love it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Phantom of the Opera rear end keyboard, the way Dr. Frankenstein would make a spreadsheet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

coldpudding posted:

The concept

The alternative

The result

Now eat a durian.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

coldpudding posted:

The concept

The alternative

The result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJoP4MkTnwQ

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
So what kind of simulator do you run with all those keys? Flight simulator? Airline check in simulator? Bank teller simulator?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Congratulations.

EMACS loop 2 has been unlocked.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Phantom of the Opera rear end keyboard, the way Dr. Frankenstein would make a spreadsheet

Not far off actually I intend to be able to swap it between being a midi controller and a button box hence the quick swap driver.

Also to be totally honest I only started this project because I wanted to go in the other direction to the ongoing fad for hilariously cut down keyboards like 30% boards.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That looks awesome, I've always wanted a keyboard with way more keys, but I want them on the main matrix.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Now make it ergonomic

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Commission I got to make four gift boxes themed around the recipients' hobbies: photography, quilting, pottery and gardening

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Still not entirely sure why I made this, but here is Janus:

https://i.imgur.com/QeRsVVF.mp4

(the faces are carved and dyed maple)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I dismantled an old shipping pallet and turned it into a work table in my shed. Not bad for two hours on a Sunday

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Heck yeah, everybody needs a workbench. I think I’m at like month three of mine. :sweatdrop:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

^ That already looks too nice to actually use. :)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Put together a build video of the sculpture I posted... 3 months ago?? :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybgpl-228E

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Awesome sculpture and video showing the process. FWIW your backing music is pretty calm and I don't think you need to lower it as much every time you talk. I have a hard time not getting fixated on stuff like that.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you, I appreciate that :3:

re: sound -- I've tried to strike a balance and make it seamless but yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the best approach. This and my previous video both had very calm background music (at least until I cranked the music in the final reveal) and probably didn't require an aggressive dip when the voiceover comes in. The jazzy music I used in my first video was different, so it was probably more necessary there. So thanks for the feedback -- I'll keep tweaking the settings instead of applying the same cutoffs in each video.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

been doing embroidery with watercolor pencils

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's fantastic :3:

So the lines are embroidered and then you pencil in the watercolours?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Trabant posted:

That's fantastic :3:

So the lines are embroidered and then you pencil in the watercolours?
yes!

it's based off a painting, i needed to practice my technique (a lot more licking then you'd think)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's a seriously cool technique and the outcome is excellent! Also,

Post your projects:

InsertPotPun posted:

a lot more licking then you'd think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.