Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

got into mtga for 15 minutes, but what it made me realize is that people are apparently paying like $1000 a piece for some physical cards i had in storage, so it turned into a money-making chore instead

As a boardgamer, MTG and Warhammer are both consistently mind-blowing. I could re-buy my whole group's whole collection for the price some of that poo poo goes for, and we've got a copy of Tainted Grail somewhere, Gloomhaven, multiple copies of Frosthaven (one of the group moved overseas), and Eclipse: Second Dawn.

Just for one card or model.

And both games are (as a rules lawyer myself) rules lawyering hellscapes.

I mean I do generally get it. If you like TCG or wargaming, that's what you play because they've each pretty much monopolized their respective genres. But still. Mind-blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oh gently caress so it is. i was thinking "it can't be that" for some dumb-rear end reason (i.e.: me) when I could've just GISed "ff8 card game"

i never did beat FF8...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like mtga specifically because it doesn't have a card market, if any given card I want just costs a wildcard

a while ago i priced a physical version of one of my decks and it was like $400, whereas my total investment in arena has been $0

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

oh gently caress so it is. i was thinking "it can't be that" for some dumb-rear end reason (i.e.: me) when I could've just GISed "ff8 card game"

i never did beat FF8...

controversial opinion: ff8 is better than ff7

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

The Fool posted:

:wrong:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ff7 is a great game slightly let down by a dodgy translation

ff8 is some dumb poo poo about a wizard army in a flying school where all the enemies level up with you so theres no point to levelling your characters up, and all the good items are hidden in that loving card game

ff9 is the actual best one

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 22, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fortunately you can play the card game with a better ff game attached to it for just 15 bucks a month

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

what was that "JRPG" with the good card game?

ffxiv also has triple triad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ff9 is indeed v. good.

its card game is pretty bad though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

no game has yet had a good card minigame inside of it. gwent got closest but the game outside of it sucked rear end so

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is kind of weird that they don't, because it is not *that* hard to invent a good card game by mostly ripping off stuff that already works

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i think ffxiv probably gets closest just because triple triad is a decent enough base, but it does basically nothing interesting with that core so getting all the cards is more about getting a cool mount than actually having a collection of cards to play a game with

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

(ffxiv has a minigame problem in general, triple triad is deece but nothing more, chocobo racing is fun but too involved for most folks, verminion is way too involved for most folks, and mahjong is pretty tough for westerners to get into. just gimme like eorzean poker or something ffs)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Fool posted:

I have black and white in my retro game queue, might try one of them after I'm done with this fire emblem game

I've never played a pokémon before

black and white are v good

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I cannot recommend scarlet/violet enough, and I’m excited for DLC to be released soon

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Sweevo posted:

ff7 is a great game slightly let down by a dodgy translation

having played a bit of the remake i kind of think the dodgy translation is part of what makes ff7 work. same with the really simple graphics. it's a lot easier to project an interesting character onto a few awkward colored blocks spouting slightly weird dialogue than it is on something that has full motion capture and voice acting

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

finished dq4, now working on dq8. mobile tho :negative:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dq 7 is my favorite because im a sicko

though the ds version is the only playable version.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dq11 is my fav, followed closely by 5

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Decon posted:

As a boardgamer, MTG and Warhammer are both consistently mind-blowing. I could re-buy my whole group's whole collection for the price some of that poo poo goes for, and we've got a copy of Tainted Grail somewhere, Gloomhaven, multiple copies of Frosthaven (one of the group moved overseas), and Eclipse: Second Dawn.

Just for one card or model.

And both games are (as a rules lawyer myself) rules lawyering hellscapes.

I mean I do generally get it. If you like TCG or wargaming, that's what you play because they've each pretty much monopolized their respective genres. But still. Mind-blowing.

if i ever find a house that i can buy, i'm going to cash out my power + reserved list dual lands to buy it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The Fool posted:

word

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sweevo posted:

ff9 is the actual best one

this is the official thread opinion

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
more like final fantasy nein

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

a man of taste

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

quiggy posted:

no game has yet had a good card minigame inside of it. gwent got closest but the game outside of it sucked rear end so

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The Fool posted:

a man of taste

time travel, a goofball fucker that chokes to death on hot dogs… it’s got everything.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'm not saying that ff7 is bad or anything, but it gets a lot of the praise it did simply because its the first game of this type that a certain generation was exposed to

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i was doing some cartography the other day when i came across the US fish and wildlife symbol that this meme is based on. it was jarring.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i never finished ff8, but i will give it that it has a lot of artistic ambition going on. it was probably already too weird to achieve the mainstream appeal of 7, but it then also generally goes off the rails in the second half.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

just because the bait is low quality doesn't mean the underlying view isn't correct

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

President Beep posted:

i was doing some cartography the other day when i came across the US fish and wildlife symbol that this meme is based on. it was jarring.

Fishing is cool and good, its not that i suck at it its that the fish don't bite here

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
I literally have never played a Pokemon or a Zelda or a Mario any classic console/mobile games from any generation, I had commodores then PCs growing up and all my friends had computers of one sort or another too

but I have a couple kids and while modern games are mostly exploitive trash I don't want them to be the kids at school whose parents never let them play video games, so I thought it would be fun if we played through a fairly curated trip down memory lane

if anyone's such a list of must-play classics I'd love to see it, as other than the big Nintendo franchises I don't even know what I'd be missing

on that note if you're looking for a C64 collection literally look no further than this, the absolute gold standard of any game collection I've ever seen: https://www.zombs-lair.com/c64-dreams

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

quig's spur of the moment "top ten games you should play before you die" list

- super mario bros
- super mario 64
- ocarina of time
- doom (1993)
- half-life 2
- final fantasy 7
- skyrim
- shadow of the colossus
- pokemon (any)
- street fighter 2

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i've got 9 out of 10 (never played, or even heard of, shadow of the colossus)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

quiggy posted:

- super mario bros
- super mario 64
- ocarina of time
- doom (1993)
- half-life 2
- final fantasy 7
- skyrim
- shadow of the colossus
- pokemon (any)
- street fighter 2

how do you have HL2 and not HL1 :goofy:

Black Mesa is a supremely good remake everyone should play it, esp. if your the kind of player who wont play HL1 because of graphics or whatever

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i've got 9 out of 10 (never played, or even heard of, shadow of the colossus)

it was an innovative and good game by the same team that did Ico (older) and The Last Guardian (ps4) that absolutely does not hold up. the controls were rear end at the time but you could forgive it for everything else but these days even in the remake its just... Ugh pass

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

quiggy posted:

- super mario bros
- super mario 64
- ocarina of time
- doom (1993)
- half-life 2
- final fantasy 7
- skyrim
- shadow of the colossus
- pokemon (any)
- street fighter 2

ff3/6
chrono trigger
link to the past
super metroid

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

quiggy posted:

- super mario bros
- super mario 64
- ocarina of time
- doom (1993)
- half-life 2
- final fantasy 7
- skyrim
- shadow of the colossus
- pokemon (any)
- street fighter 2

super mario world goes on there for me

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Internaut! posted:

I literally have never played a Pokemon or a Zelda or a Mario any classic console/mobile games from any generation, I had commodores then PCs growing up and all my friends had computers of one sort or another too

but I have a couple kids and while modern games are mostly exploitive trash I don't want them to be the kids at school whose parents never let them play video games, so I thought it would be fun if we played through a fairly curated trip down memory lane

if anyone's such a list of must-play classics I'd love to see it, as other than the big Nintendo franchises I don't even know what I'd be missing

on that note if you're looking for a C64 collection literally look no further than this, the absolute gold standard of any game collection I've ever seen: https://www.zombs-lair.com/c64-dreams

bro just let them play Fortnite so they don’t get made fun of lol. big Onion dad energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

quiggy posted:

oh well in that case after ~8 months i am at the last quest of 5.55 and getting ready for endwalker to emotionally destroy me

Unashamed to admit I wept like three times. Endwalker was a roller coaster the entire time and good enough that I may even newgame+ it.