Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I used one of those faucets before and I think I wouldn't mind turning it on/off via touch if that was the only way to turn it on/off and the knob just controlled temperature or something, but having two ways it has to be turned on is really confusing/infuriating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/SpotifyNews/status/1628394585532555264

they're rolling out an AI DJ that will deliver custom radio DJ chatter for you, using text-to-speech

https://twitter.com/charlesxholmes/status/1267188973090361346

e: better video

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

I used one of those faucets before and I think I wouldn't mind turning it on/off via touch if that was the only way to turn it on/off and the knob just controlled temperature or something, but having two ways it has to be turned on is really confusing/infuriating

Only took us a couple weeks to get used to just leaving the handle open all the time.

We got the Costco one. Very much enjoy the touch when cooking.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/SpotifyNews/status/1628394585532555264

they're rolling out an AI DJ that will deliver custom radio DJ chatter for you, using text-to-speech

makes sense that theyd move on to this, as they have already perfected the AI behind their recommendation engine and it works great.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1628413103707750401?s=20

:rip: metaface

just keep shoveling money onto the burning trash heap that is your n64-looking vr world

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*zuckerberg doing a huge bong rip in the conference room* what if we had chatgpt make the metaverse

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
it would be difficult to do a worse job at creating a 3d multiplayer game than facebook employees are currently managing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jonny 290 posted:

they go into their choice of eyeglass frames in the article even.

read if you want to be super bummed out

https://www.businessinsider.com/pronatalism-elon-musk-simone-malcolm-collins-underpopulation-breeding-tech-2022-11

can super babies fix the planet? We asked Adolf Hitler

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lady seriously look like a turtle

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
like touch sensitive stuff but only the tank circuit kind not the “wave your hands in front of an led” kind

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the best kind of sink is the foot switch tho

way more things should have foot switches imo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just set a treadle down there and go to town

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

turtles are one step closer to the endgame of all evolutionary races: crabs

carcinisation is our destiny

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

just set a treadle down there and go to town

but what if one of the cross beams goes out askew on it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
graham chapman starts getting very frustrated with you

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fart simpson posted:

chinese ridesharing apps have a special mode for this and people actually use it. normally its like, a dude has to drive 15 hours to another city anyway so why not let a couple strangers ride along for $100 each or w/e. ive used it a few times to get places when train tickets were already sold out

my wife and i just did this for a 15 hour drive back to shenzhen a few weeks ago. it cost us about $100 plus the driver asked everyone to chip in for tolls and he also picked up 2 other guys going the same way, all through a ridesharing app

the post-soviet equivalent is random drivers with minibuses lining up vans at the local bus stop behind signs for various cities. once it's full or gives up on more passengers, it leaves

i have had several leave and get a radio call saying there are three more people after 20m, so they turn around and pick up more lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

yeah I'd be down for that in the kitchen or workshop

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

yeah I'd be down for that in the kitchen or workshop

i put the shopvac on a footswitch and i have never been happier.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

there's no such thing as bad press.

ask milo yiannopoulos lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1628413103707750401?s=20

:rip: metaface

just keep shoveling money onto the burning trash heap that is your n64-looking vr world

I'll give zuck credit for one thing:that haircut does look like a Roman statue in profile

shame it's one of the poo poo emperors tho

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

I don't think she's turtly enough for the turtle club

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

fuckin' A

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

mapping a footswitch to the mouse click is a revelation especially as you get older

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ruffian Price posted:

mapping a footswitch to the mouse click is a revelation especially as you get older
My mom was a medical transcriptionist and had foot petals for controlling the tape player so she wouldn't have to take her hands off the keyboard.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'll give zuck credit for one thing:that haircut does look like a Roman statue in profile

shame it's one of the poo poo emperors tho

going to the barber and asking for 'whatever is easiest to carve'

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Agile Vector posted:

going to the barber and asking for 'whatever is easiest to carve'

we have no proof that the Romans didnt all have quiffs and they just couldn't be bothered to carve them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we do have proof that roman statues were originally painted (and pretty garishly too) so his hair is patterned after something that is not at all what the romans intended it to look like

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

your amg is a pos

mystes
May 31, 2006

"Quicker in-car updates and longer vehicle lifecycles are coming, Mercedes says. "

(replaces everything with touchscreens that are going to be obsolete in 5 minutes)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

buddy i don't even want to upgrade my desktop OS, why the gently caress would i ever want a car that randomly bricks itself or introduces bugs over the air

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

weird how that keeps happening

i'm sure none of the incredible feature set will require constant access to hosted back-end systems that will be sunset as soon as they've lost interest in those services

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

weird how that keeps happening

i'm sure none of the incredible feature set will require constant access to hosted back-end systems that will be sunset as soon as they've lost interest in those services

notice that they’re using android automotive without google services :thunk:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in a very weird turn the probably better news in that article is where it goes "The chip-to-cloud Linux and QNX-based MB.OS platform...", greenfield-building a stack for a product and winding up with two radically different os's mashed together would often be a real bad sign, but here it probably does mean that there remains a "keep the steering working" qnx system and a "do an all-fart rendition of beethovens fifth while randomly flapping the doors" linux system.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

classic tech bubble thread fav soylent is going to spend more time with its family getting fobbed off onto a random consumer brand holding company

quote:

And just who is Starco Brands? The public company, part of The Starco Group, creates and acquires consumer products like household cleaning, automotive and personal care items. It was started in 2010, then going by the name of Insynergy Products.

Insynergy went public in 2012 and changed its name to Starco in 2017. It was in that same year that it came out with its line of Breathe aerosol cleaning products. In December 2021, the company teamed up with singer Cardi B to launch one of its more popular brands, Whipshots, a vodka-infused whipped cream.

During the past six months Starco has been busy on an acquisitions tear, first acquiring Art of Sport, the athlete-inspired personal care brand co-founded by Kobe Bryant, in September. Then in January, Starco acquired fragrance creator Skylar. Soylent is its third acquisition in that time frame.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in a very weird turn the probably better news in that article is where it goes "The chip-to-cloud Linux and QNX-based MB.OS platform...", greenfield-building a stack for a product and winding up with two radically different os's mashed together would often be a real bad sign, but here it probably does mean that there remains a "keep the steering working" qnx system and a "do an all-fart rendition of beethovens fifth while randomly flapping the doors" linux system.

android automotive (the aosp part anyway) is actually a good architecture here and it’s all public:

https://source.android.com/docs/devices/automotive/virtualization/architecture

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

we have no proof that the Romans didnt all have quiffs and they just couldn't be bothered to carve them

i like to think this is true because the coiffes of roman women in mosaics and described in translations are true. a stylist figured out how and published several papers, and has a youtube channel showing how, which is very cool

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the real loss of progress with the fall of the roman empire was sweet hair and we're only just beginning to realize how much farther we could be if those secrets were known

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

I could tell even from the first version that it was a very serious piece of experimental archaeology which no scholar who was not a hairdresser—in other words, no scholar—would have been able to write.
jesus christ dude

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

you'd think that if somebody takes a subject seriously enough to write a paper that advances a field they'd have earned "scholar", but apparently you'd be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
no true haircutsman