Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i got a bad case of hand foot and mouth from my kid, my wife just had a fever

i got the fever and the headache and blisters on my hand and feet and a couple on my tongue but worst of all,
I AM PARTIALLY BLIND IN ONE EYE

yes you can get hand foot and mouth so bad you go blind, hopefully its temporary

Unilateral acute maculopathy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4333364/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Volmarias posted:

No and hopefully that answer does not change

afaik that one's literally just a map modelled after a public bathroom and you spawn with a vape pen lol. that's it

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Roblox and Minecraft mods seem to fill the void that Flash games did. There’s a few gems here and there, but most of it is cheap imitations of things that kids without disposable income or transportation have limited access to.

So many squid game clones… god of war knockoffs… Pokémon card game reimplementations of poor quality…

As an adult who can just go do the original, they are baffling.

but yeah, Roblox is a scummy company, and i don’t want my kid getting mixed up in the money making aspect of Roblox programming, as it’s not really achievable if you’re not a scammer at some level.

I see the Minecraft marketplace being similarly sketchy, but Microsoft has more reputation on the line, so there’s at least some semblance of policing the content.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
my kid just loves making redstone poo poo in minecraft. little dude made a conveyor belt today just off the top of his head.

i decided to run a server on an extra machine i had kicking around and now it's become a really great thing that all 3 of us do :3:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Perplx posted:

i got a bad case of hand foot and mouth from my kid, my wife just had a fever

i got the fever and the headache and blisters on my hand and feet and a couple on my tongue but worst of all,

yes you can get hand foot and mouth so bad you go blind, hopefully its temporary

Unilateral acute maculopathy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4333364/

holy piss I did not know this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blinkz0rz posted:

my kid just loves making redstone poo poo in minecraft. little dude made a conveyor belt today just off the top of his head.

i decided to run a server on an extra machine i had kicking around and now it's become a really great thing that all 3 of us do :3:

a crack up thing is that a lot of things in minecraft are emergent

and people have created “farms” and they’ll be these elaborate battery farms for things

and my kid obv knows they aren’t real animals because drat they’re some pretty inhumane farming practices

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I may or may not have built an iron farm that involved putting 6 groups of three NPC villagers way up on platforms with 3 mobs in the Center of the grouping in a puddle of water so that when he bobs up the villagers have a panic attack, spawn an iron golem into an adjacent platform which then dumps the iron golem into a pit of lava that drops iron into a conveyor belt and into a box

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
my kids have really been enjoying doing a little soccer camp this week. I think it’s generally great for them to get their energy out, learn to try new things/evaluate them/try to enjoy them, and I like the effects on their mood and attention.

thus far I guess the major activities we’ve encouraged have been bikes&scooters, swimming, rock scrambling in the park, and soccer, though I guess gymnastics and dance classes (for both my son and daughter) count too. skiing and the rock climbing gym have been done very few times, but made big impressions

maybe it’s good if I just encourage them to grow up into friendly, peaceful little jocks. I wish I had been raised to spend more time enjoying and taking care of my body and the internet is only getting weirder and more hostile and seemingly more influential on non-online culture too

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

sorry Huxton, you are A Fucker right now. I really hope you parents wise up to the reason they only ever find out about a play date after it happens and reconsider their parenting strategy of letting you be a complete jerk to other kids for fun.
I mean I am THAT rear end in a top hat but parents only get one chance to control their kids around mine, and after it escalates from kid being gently kept away to kid getting picked up and swiftly delivered to the lovely parents. My wife was horrified the first time I picked up someone else's kid, but you don't get a second chance at hitting my little guy.

Perplx posted:

gently caress that noise, get well soon.

Elder Postsman posted:

oh man wait until they get a bit older and start finding stuff like "is it cake" and "floor is lava"
floor is lava got us through a hellish 14 hours unplanned layover so I can't hate it.

In other news we went skiing for the first time this year and kid 1 is already *absurdly* good at it for only going like 3 times last year on a tiny nearby hill. Started the day on easy blues and by the end he was racing his pal down spicy reds.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 24, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

oh that reminds me, is there like a self-hosted instagram sort of thing? my kid's been talking IG lately and she and her friend pretend to do it but idk it might be nice to set up a private one that the two of them can use without exposing them to, you know, all the pain and garbage of the real thing
There's picture-centric ActivityPub stuff if you wanna go that way (god rest your soul).

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

evil_bunnY posted:

floor is lava got us through a hellish 14 hours unplanned layover so I can't hate it.

look they might be fun to watch once, but by the fourth time through "is it cake" in the past month, any kind of appeal really starts to fade

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

There's picture-centric ActivityPub stuff if you wanna go that way (god rest your soul).

i will maybe look into this. thanks (?)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

evil_bunnY posted:

you don't get a second chance at hitting my little guy.
:haibrower:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I may or may not have built an iron farm that involved putting 6 groups of three NPC villagers way up on platforms with 3 mobs in the Center of the grouping in a puddle of water so that when he bobs up the villagers have a panic attack, spawn an iron golem into an adjacent platform which then dumps the iron golem into a pit of lava that drops iron into a conveyor belt and into a box

minecraft is pure sadism

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
curious but do your kids swim?

my kids were quite lucky because school pools were a thing when I grew up but increased regulations closed most of them

my kids school however had the community pool next door and it became de facto school pool

so in summer almost every school day for like six years my kids got to play in a pool. there’s just little substitute for the amount of hours they had in the pool and now they’re just so confident in the water. my eldest is NOT into sports or physical stuff at all but he’s easily the best swimmer in his friend group, at least in the sense of confidence.

we went to the pool today and diving off a 4-5 meter diving board and only later did it occur to me that not even once did I worry that they wouldn’t be fine

anyway is swimming valued in the education system? or in society at all?

I can’t help but feel like it’s something we probably all grew up doing but has become something only some kids get to do

also lol going on the hydroslide was sk much fun hahah

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The community pool here is at the high school and they have a pretty strong swim team.

All of my sons friends do swim lessons and swimming at a lake is popular in the summer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m pleased to hear it. i mean swimming isn’t an essential life skill but it really feels like something worthwhile for everyone to be able to do

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tbh I feel like swimming is a core skill on the same level as riding a bike

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it doesn't have to be your favorite hobby but you should know how to do it in a pinch

The Fool fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 25, 2023

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i’m pleased to hear it. i mean swimming isn’t an essential life skill but it really feels like something worthwhile for everyone to be able to do

i think it actually is. my 5 month old will start swimming lessons soon :)

her mother doesn't know how to swim and in a way i live in constant fear that she wi fall in water some day and drown

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

we started our kids at swim lessons at 2 and 3, my now four year old toodles around the in laws pool for as long as you’ll let her on her own and she told me this summer she wants to learn to swim under water like daddy :kimchi:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

and never mind that water parks are like the most fun you can have without sex or drugs

like coming out of a hydroslide and ending up rear end over face and being totally disoriented and hosed up is so good lol

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

The Fool posted:

Truth
Learn how to survive 2/3 of the planet's surface with this one neat trick

(some restrictions may apply)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
(offer void where rescue does not come in the first 1 to 20 minutes)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

The Fool posted:

yeah. passing a basic swimming test (iirc swim a 2 laps, tread water for 5 minutes) was a graduation requirement at my high school.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Fool posted:

This. My parents hounded me with swimming lessons until they could yeet me fully clothed into the water and I could get back/out.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
if you find yourself needing to tire kids out and can’t let them do it on their own or with someone else, swimming is a very good choice of activity.

a lot of the energy people use in swimming just comes from body heat lost into the water. children’s volume to surface area ratio is way lower so they lose a lot more energy just being in cool water than adults do. many other activities, if you do them with your young kids, you will run out of energy before your kids do or your kids will recover from that activity before you do. NOT SWIMMING

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
my kid doesn’t know how to swim or ride a bike

he’s also a very cautious little dude and has a lot of difficulty getting into new things

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

he’s also a very cautious little dude and has a lot of difficulty getting into new things

same. he's been in the pool a million times and had All The Lessons but :shrug:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

prisoner of waffles posted:

if you find yourself needing to tire kids out and can’t let them do it on their own or with someone else, swimming is a very good choice of activity.

a lot of the energy people use in swimming just comes from body heat lost into the water. children’s volume to surface area ratio is way lower so they lose a lot more energy just being in cool water than adults do. many other activities, if you do them with your young kids, you will run out of energy before your kids do or your kids will recover from that activity before you do. NOT SWIMMING

hell yeah, this is the type of parent hack i need

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
swimming lessons are great because they unlock primo kid activities at the beach, friends' pools, hotel pools, etc. like ok your seven year old can beat bloodborne but if they can't swim they're a bad hang

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah. passing a basic swimming test (iirc swim a 2 laps, tread water for 5 minutes) was a graduation requirement at my high school.

no poo poo?

Blinkz0rz posted:

my partners mum is from ireland and she can’t swim and is terrified of the water to the point of not having a bath

well she was like that…. in her late 70s early 80s she’s started to face that fear and has even gone out into the water in a bay up to her waist

some things just take a bit of time

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

echinopsis posted:

no poo poo?

it was because my hometown is on the shores of lake superior and there were multiple drownings every year. it's a dangerous lake.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
for me to poop in

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
but yeah it’s like a freshwater sea

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

we didnt have to do laps but we had to do a 40 minute deadmans float to pass 10th grade gym

swimming was mandatory in jr high and thats when i learned to swim. thank you so much mrs. shaneyfelt for keeping me after class and making me jump into the deep end one on one

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
swimming was once a week for like 2 months and kids would get so nervous a couple would yarf on the way to the pool every time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

aka jettisoning ballast

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

there was a pool at my primary school and I can't remember any kids not being able to swim but idk I was just a kid. we used to be allowed to swim and cool off on hot summer days at lunch :11tea:

we are not lucky enough for the local school to have a pool now days though :( sorry kids housing market etc means you can't grow up where I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
my 5 year old got a pretty cool Christmas present for learning how electric circuits work:

https://shop.elenco.com/consumers/sc-750r-snap-circuits-training-program.html

he's putting together all the stuff simply by looking at the diagrams and learning lots, such that he can build his own circuits and predict how they'll work given the electricity flow, the components used and their polarity etc

does anyone know anything similar for biology? there's a nice duck pond at his school that must have all sorts of great stuff swimming in it, but I don't know that just getting a microscope would be that compelling for him