Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
failfox is the worst piece of poo poo and mozilla/netscape are responsible for the terrible state of the web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol @ single browser users

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i already chose the best one so there’s literally no need to go chredging my bets

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jesus WEP posted:

i have never strayed from the one true path of mozilla
mozilla is the way and the light

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

edge doesn't auto embed tweets for me on forums dot something awful dot com. i always have to click through to the bird site and deal with the "sign up" popups

burning swine
May 26, 2004

microsoft: we won't rest until you're on edge

That loving Sned posted:

Edge’s vertical tabs are really good though. I haven’t found an extension for chrome or Firefox that does it as well. There is one that has them in a separate window which isn’t as convenient.

vivaldi does vertical tabs well

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it's funny because the chrome download page is probably the single most visited URL across all edge users

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Microsoft is actually the least consumer-hostile of all the major tech companies. They make all their money ripping off large corporations (a mitzvah), so they don't have to make money by stealing your data (Google et al) or abusing a million poor people (Amazon) or ripping off average folks (Apple).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Microsoft is actually the least consumer-hostile of all the major tech companies. They make all their money ripping off large corporations (a mitzvah), so they don't have to make money by stealing your data (Google et al) or abusing a million poor people (Amazon) or ripping off average folks (Apple).

yeah really their only hostility towards their customers is just irritating them with terrible products and user experience, which compared to selling private info and other stuff isn’t really that evil.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it feels way more gross when microsoft does it for some reason
like when they made microsoft accounts mandatory for windows 11 home installations
and all the "hey, can we pretty please spy on you?" prompts when you set up your new computer and after every windows update (unless you find the button that stops it buried in the notification settings)

and all the crapware you didn't ask for from the windows store that you have to uninstall

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i am very much on the "lesser evil offering many conveniences" with microsoft, but they sure do love randomly annoying me for pretty much no gain.

excepting forcing a microsoft account for windows, i think that is genuinely a sensible consumer- and developer-friendly decision. in that most people really should have a microsoft account to make sure they can do things like account recovery, find my device, and all the related identity management stuff. and once you make almost everyone have an account it becomes a support nightmare as developers will just assume everyone has one and rely on the related os functionality, so make everyone. the very obsessed nerds can dodge it anyway, but just embrace that being an unsupported configuration.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and given the idea of using macos without an apple
id seems ludicrous

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Imagine a world where MS makes an OS that people want to upgrade to. Where every UI element is updated yet familiar. One they feel like they could actually charge for instead of still accepting Windows 7 licenses.

I wonder how much money they actually make off me. No Xbox, no gamepass, just some desktops and laptops with $5 Windows keys.

Actually, I'll buy HiFi Rush on Steam so there's that at least. Although Shinji Mikami, one of my favourite game developers, left them a few days ago.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

personally i care fantastically little about the "look at this old bit of ui in windows", if i got to choose between having all windows 11 ui suddenly updated to the "modern" style or the "visual search" button on images in edge disappearing forever i'd certainly go for the latter. despite the fact that you can turn the latter off in two clicks (issue being that updates sometime forget that setting, because microsoft are so loving annoying about this stuff).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unfortunately designing a good operating system is at odds with shareholder needs

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

personally i care fantastically little about the "look at this old bit of ui in windows", if i got to choose between having all windows 11 ui suddenly updated to the "modern" style or the "visual search" button on images in edge disappearing forever i'd certainly go for the latter. despite the fact that you can turn the latter off in two clicks (issue being that updates sometime forget that setting, because microsoft are so loving annoying about this stuff).

They can keep the 3.1 fonts menu, just maybe not have a stripped down Windows 7 settings menu with all the stuff they haven't bothered to add to the new one.

Apparently adding even a single option to Settings is a bureaucratic and technical nightmare, but they've had over a decade to do it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nah the 20 different ui styles sucks rear end and is indicative of a massive lack of quality control

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it sucks and looks lovely but it's ultimately functional enough, which is apparently all that matters to MS now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
works
for adobe

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i absolutely hate the split context menu of win11, gently caress this lovely little row of icons along the top

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Don't worry just repeat this unfathomable registry incantation to restore the useful context menu

code:
reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ec-e460e6e5a82a

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

r u ready to WALK posted:

Don't worry just repeat this unfathomable registry incantation to restore the useful context menu

code:
reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ec-e460e6e5a82a

why do they keep doing this if they're all registry flags

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Microsoft absolutely sells user data to the highest bidder. Didn't someone recently do a comparison between Win 11 and XP where they found that there's rampant third-party spyware from a fresh install?

Apple might be worse in terms of creating a 'walled garden' ecosystem that's hard to break out of, but you don't, under any circumstances, have to hand it to Microsoft.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 23, 2023

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

i have a friend who’s convinced aero was the best windows look

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

nah the 20 different ui styles sucks rear end and is indicative of a massive lack of quality control

lol, no, what is indicative of a lack of quality control is the lack of quality control. i would also be up for microsoft putting some of the old ui back if they'd spend 5 minutes debugging some of the new stuff in trade.

(also ironically posting on the page where people are posting regedit strings to restore old ui)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Armitag3 posted:

i have a friend who’s convinced aero was the best windows look

your friend is almost right, it's the runner up after windows 2000

microsoft completely removing the aero code from windows 8 and above just to make it run on garbage underpowered arm handhelds is unforgivable

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

watercolor was the best visual style

look how goddamn functional that is

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That looks freakin sickkk

Also I'm Jim Midnite

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol i actually know that guy. from like 20 years ago

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the worst aesthetic was XP. plastic infantile mess. just dogshit to look at, and even worse when i turned my monitor on

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

the worst aesthetic was XP. plastic infantile mess. just dogshit to look at, and even worse when i turned my monitor on

they replaced watercolor with luna somewhere around beta 2

https://guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/whistler2257

this is a pretty incomplete version, most themes i've seen are based off of the theme as it appeared like 200 build numbers later. but you can see the direction its going in right before they lobotomize it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

there were some fun windows xp logo mockups shared on twitter a while back that i found interesting

https://twitter.com/wowstartsnow/status/1449405899685105667

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the best windows logo was the one apple did when they made bootcamp and redid the windows logo lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Last Chance posted:

there were some fun windows xp logo mockups shared on twitter a while back that i found interesting

https://twitter.com/wowstartsnow/status/1449405899685105667

:sigh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it's actually kind of funny that they had a design that would not be out of place today but just decided to go whole hog aughts design with it

...maybe not "ha ha" funny, but this is yospos after all

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol, no, what is indicative of a lack of quality control is the lack of quality control. i would also be up for microsoft putting some of the old ui back if they'd spend 5 minutes debugging some of the new stuff in trade.

(also ironically posting on the page where people are posting regedit strings to restore old ui)

oh so you're one of those "ux doesn't matter and isn't real development" people, gotcha

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the amount of work it would take to have a full scale desktop operating system actually have a 100% consistent ui is so huge that the project velocity would be slower than the incoming changes and it would never be completed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hypothetically, what if we just reverted to the windows 2000 ui?

what would we lose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

jesus WEP posted:

i have never strayed from the one true path of mozilla

firefox has the best 3 wolf moon theme, so i stay loyal