Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I'm having fun with it but I think I'm the only one lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

prom candy posted:

On the one hand I never would have heard of Atomic Heart without this thread but on the other hand this thread has also prevented me from actually playing it. So I guess I'm back where I started

It's about the journey

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wiltsghost posted:

I'm having fun with it but I think I'm the only one lol.

Other than the art which is really good, I love that it's a love letter to futurism without being an exact rip off. It's very much it's own thing even though you can instantly see what they were going for. The gameplay isn't bad, and as much as I would rather it have no crafting bs it's rather generous even on hard so I seem to get a new upgrade every few minutes.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Atomic Heart is as subversive as Russian media can be without getting yourself thrown out a God damned window.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Guess I should buy Atomic Heart to show my support for Ukraine!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

If you think about it, Bioshock was a libertarian power fantasy...

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

John F Bennett posted:

I think I enjoyed Bioschlock Infibutt more than Atomic Fart

i enjoyed bioshock infinite even though the story was insanely bad. thinking about playing through it again sometime

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Bioshock asks truly powerful questions, such as: "Is it ok to harvest a kid for power-up materials if the kid has bad vibes and you really need Ice Blast 3"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

barnold posted:

i enjoyed bioshock infinite even though the story was insanely bad. thinking about playing through it again sometime

it's dogshit and way worse than you remember.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

For as dumb as the story is in infinite, the combat and actual game parts are worse.
They all kind of stink in their own way but bsi is awful.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 24, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snacksmaniac posted:

For as dumb as the story is in infinite, the combat and actual game parts are worse.

yep. awful awful game. 1/2 are great

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Tried an hour of Powerwash Simulator and uhh that's definitely not a game for me.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Whirling posted:

Bioshock asks truly powerful questions, such as: "Is it ok to harvest a kid for power-up materials if the kid has bad vibes and you really need Ice Blast 3"

Excuse me

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Issaries posted:

If you think about it, Bioshock was a libertarian power fantasy...

My take has always been that it argues that Randian objectivism and laissez faire liberalism/free market libertarianism are inherently contradictory and any society built in Randian ideals will devour itself.

But I think it's hard to distinguish if the game itself is saying "this is a libertarian utopia but it's corrupted because those in power immediately attempt to curtail liberty" or if it's saying "This is a Randian utopia and Rand's poo poo is incompatible with many of its own tenants".

But whatever I loving love it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfEjdihKnYk

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MJBuddy posted:

My take has always been that it argues that Randian objectivism and laissez faire liberalism/free market libertarianism are inherently contradictory and any society built in Randian ideals will devour itself.

But I think it's hard to distinguish if the game itself is saying "this is a libertarian utopia but it's corrupted because those in power immediately attempt to curtail liberty" or if it's saying "This is a Randian utopia and Rand's poo poo is incompatible with many of its own tenants".

But whatever I loving love it.
I think Rapture is more akin to free-market laissez-faire gone to its natural extreme than Randian. Like I don't see in Bioshock 1 or 2 that it's a 'Galt's Gulch' kind of deal. It also makes more sense in 2 that after Ryan and Fontaine are both gone, Sofia Lamb's collectivism becomes very appealing to the parts of Rapture society that Ryan and Fontaine both exploited.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Ugh...

Thinking on it, I feel like Bioshock 1 didn't age as well as its parents (Thief and System Shock 2) did for me. I find myself returning to the older games way more than I do to Bioshock 1. I think a lot of that feeling stems from how dumb the revive chambers are in it; System Shock 2's revive chambers cost a pittance, but there's exactly one per deck to my recollection, while they're all over the place in Rapture. There's no tension the second you realize that you can never actually lose or, at least, set yourself back severely on the default difficulty.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

"booooht"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whirling posted:

Ugh...

Thinking on it, I feel like Bioshock 1 didn't age as well as its parents (Thief and System Shock 2) did for me. I find myself returning to the older games way more than I do to Bioshock 1. I think a lot of that feeling stems from how dumb the revive chambers are in it; System Shock 2's revive chambers cost a pittance, but there's exactly one per deck to my recollection, while they're all over the place in Rapture. There's no tension the second you realize that you can never actually lose or, at least, set yourself back severely on the default difficulty.

A players number 1 action in the game is looting bags of chips.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Beastie posted:

"booooht"

Pennsylvanian shibboleth

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Real hurthling! posted:

A players number 1 action in the game is looting bags of chips.

Could you imagine how nasty those chips are? They've been sitting around for a year in a place that's almost certainly getting more and more humid as the city breaks down.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Atomic Fart is a good game. It just takes like 4 hours to really get going. You have to get to the real open world area and get some basic abilities to have fun with it. Also, it really isn't a AAA game so why would people expect it to be?

The soundtrack might be one of my favorite things about it. Not a bad track in it

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The songs that play when you are browsing the sex fridge are kind of weird. Almost like they should be in a different game or something.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Well, now I have to see what this Sex Fridge is all about

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That's the second horniest fridge I've ever seen!

Someone mentioned Thief earlier. I've never played it but I frequently see it on sale for 3 bucks. Does it hold up, should I just buy it anyway?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Thief remake is a pale imitation of the originals. It isn’t the worst thing ever, just a very average first person stealth game that failed to be anywhere as good. However, I don’t think you can go wrong at that price if you’re at all curious and like stealth stuff.

It isn’t like the modern Deus Ex games where they (IMO) mostly succeeded in emulating what made the original game so fun.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

John F Bennett posted:

Someone mentioned Thief earlier. I've never played it but I frequently see it on sale for 3 bucks. Does it hold up, should I just buy it anyway?

Depends on what Thief you're talking about. The Thief reboot was fairly middling, but I'd highly recommend the original Thief: The Dark Project (usually sold as Thief Gold) and its sequel, The Metal Age. You'd need to mod them a bit, which the intro of this vid goes over, to get things like modern resolutions and sound card emulation working, but it's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBN5k6WoG-s

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mandalore ftw

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres no scenario where I recommend Thief 4 over the previous thief games, especially with its awful load screens

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

It’s poo poo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Jumped back into Hitman to try out the new game mode, after not touching it for nearly a year.

Either the new mode is hard as hell, or I really loving suck at Hitman. Or both I guess

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

It's hard. Sometimes it's easy but they definitely throw some curveballs at you. I've been hooked on trying to get through the progression though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

webmeister posted:

Jumped back into Hitman to try out the new game mode, after not touching it for nearly a year.

Either the new mode is hard as hell, or I really loving suck at Hitman. Or both I guess

It can be tough. I had a final mission in Colorado that involved 4 possible targets, and the game started me in a water tower with one exit.

Said exit was a ladder to a largely open rooftop with three armed guards. I was dead by the time my feet hit the ground, campaign ruined.

It definitely requires you to keep calm and not panic when things go tits up.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I shot more people in the first hour I played freelancer than I did in all three base games combined. Going out loud is encouraged

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Losing my will to live with my Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2. Connection drops are ridiculous, though the sound quality is good.

Going to return them to Amazon - any recommendations for the Xbox Series X that are of comparable price and quality, but are more reliable? In the UK if that's relevant.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
Ok, let me be real for a second. I downloaded the game Far because someone recommended it here, but it's not about rafts. It's some dumb platformer like Limbo. I was hoping for something like Flame in the Flood. This is the first time goons have steered me wrong, and I'm disappointed.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I haven't trusted goons since they recommended EDF, but it sounds like reading the game's description right next to the download button might have solved your problem.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

EDF!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That poster has 3 brain cells so that checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
I'm sorry, I meant to post Elden Ring and Vampire Survivor are GOATs. loving autocorrect.

Omon Ra fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 24, 2023