Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
watched the whole thing, and y'all remember more than I do lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think i watched one episode as well and had no interest

it's been said that it was originally designed as its own show and then sci-fi (or syfy, can't remember if they'd yet re-branded; this was definitely well into the "network president hates sci-fi and is pushing a shitload of cheap wrestling programming" era though) bodged it into being a BSG prequel because BSG was the one sci-fi thing they had that was respectable

there was also that "blood and chrome" prequel which tried doing all-greenscreen sets in hopes of making it on the cheap, but it wound up costing at least as much if not even moreso than building physical sets, so it died pretty early

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol i've been trying to recall details of it without looking anything up (because it seems most of us don't remember much about it)

it's actually pretty remarkable that the most memorable thing was how unmemorable everything is

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i think i remember liking the set design :shrug: lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the cylons were the only interesting production design in that franchise that didn't come from the 70s. the rest was generic corridors, cutting the corners off of things and lots of vancouver

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think I watched a couple episodes but I can't remember anything. I guess I remember the bombing thing but probably only because of it being mentioned here.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
tried to get my wife to watch bsg with me and I couldn’t even handle it, despite being a superfan as it released. didn’t even finish the first season

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 24, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like if I rewatched it it would be solid through the miniseries, through season 1, and halfway into season 2. the point where it stops being serial and starts getting episodic is the point of no return and it's never as good as that initial stretch again, with the possible exception of the new caprica arc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol, i actually asked mrs if she wanted to watch BSG again and she just laughed at me. fair

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i don't think i finished caprica but i do remember

- suicide bomber's mother finds a brooch that belonged to her daughter, and because of this crashes her husband's press conference to announce that her daughter was a terrorist to assembled media
- suicide bomber's consciousness is saved inside the prototype cylon. said consciousness begins a romance with a human teen
- suicide bomber's father suspects that his daughter's consciousness is alive in the cylon, so he tortures the robot by pouring a ring of gas around it and lighting it on fire to trigger her pyrophobia
- endless scenes in the metaverse in every episode

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
caprica sucked lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
caprica sounds like the name of wegman's brand of dry pasta

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

same

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
drat that's a good catte. that catte is good as hell

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1628213356195897344

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

jarjar balls

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

jarjar balls

this guy binks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i watched avatar 2 again but in 3 dimensions

the 3d effect is real good.. but by the end of the movie you’re not being wowed by it any more

but that’s a good movie. the attention to detail, in the acting and the way the family interacts with each other is golden. it does so many things to such a high standard.

the end drags. just get out of the boat! jimmy c loves his water

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

the ending of BSG was so bad

like Orson Scott Card isn't the worst mormon sci-fi writer bad

like Lost sure tied up those loose ends elegantly bad

like my posting

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

isnt bsg the show where the ending is that humans land on earth or someething like that?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

no its dumber than that. the cylon robots reach earth at the end, seed the human race (because this was thousands of years ago) and also eventually turn into cell phones

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it's even better than that: everyone is singing a terrible cover of "all along the watchtower" for some reason

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Beeftweeter posted:

no its dumber than that. the cylon robots reach earth at the end, seed the human race (because this was thousands of years ago) and also eventually turn into cell phones

as dumb as the ending was, I don't think it was implied the actual cylons turn into cell phones, just that humanity is doomed to repeat its mistakes of making machines in the likeness of a human mind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the combined human and good-cylon fleets reach earth. they find it populated with cavemen. they decide the root cause of the cycle of violence the caprican and cylon civilizations are trapped in is technology, so they fly all their spaceships into the sun and live among the cavemen. eventually they interbreed and evolve into the modern human race. helo and athena's daughter is revealed to be mitochondrial eve. head-six and head-baltar are revealed to be godlike figures who observe all of this with wry amusement. it is implied that the real-world field of robotics risks continuing the cycle with another uprising in the future

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Truman Peyote posted:

it's even better than that: everyone is singing a terrible cover of "all along the watchtower" for some reason

the bob dylan one?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ymgve posted:

as dumb as the ending was, I don't think it was implied the actual cylons turn into cell phones, just that humanity is doomed to repeat its mistakes of making machines in the likeness of a human mind

don't they literally use the red cylon eye effect in the phone itself when showing someone using like, a motorola razr lol

i haven't seen it in several years though so i guess i could just be conflating things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no one ever accused them of subtlety

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

don't they literally use the red cylon eye effect in the phone itself when showing someone using like, a motorola razr lol

i haven't seen it in several years though so i guess i could just be conflating things

verizon had to pay lucas for use of the word "droid"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/grottoheavens/status/1454925796062253056?s=46&t=kphwQz6N_cUBXfqN1mXYbg

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

echinopsis posted:

but that’s a good movie. the attention to detail, in the acting and the way the family interacts with each other is golden. it does so many things to such a high standard.

the end drags. just get out of the boat! jimmy c loves his water

the ending did drag. I thought they should have cut some stuff and made room for a little scene with the whales earlier to demonstrate that they can understand and speak to the blues. as presented you sort of think the whales are solitary and dangerous creatures and don't know that the kid is talking to it and not at it at first. that kinda came out of nowhere. it wasn't confusing, but in a movie where everything is so deliberate and considered it was one of the few things presented (in both movies) without context. and if the final battle is gonna be that long have more scenes of the whale loving poo poo up rather than boring swim chases, those were the most satisfying parts. show me more of the whale biting these fuckers heads off

indigi fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 24, 2023

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oops wrong twote

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/1629012071563120640?s=46&t=kphwQz6N_cUBXfqN1mXYbg

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:toot:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

my Culture book collection is nearly complete. idgaf if Elon names rockets after Culture Mind names, I still really love this series

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're fun books

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Looking forward to the day an AI can write some new Culture books. I generally don't support AI-generated stuff but I really think it would fit with the spirit of the series.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Looking forward to the day an AI can write some new Culture books. I generally don't support AI-generated stuff but I really think it would fit with the spirit of the series.
When AIs can write new culture books you won't need new culture books because you'll be living in the culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
then the AIs will just be journalists