Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lamo that was fun.

e: the best dessert is a pie with a man hidden inside, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
that is fun. shamelessly stolen from a friend:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Chris Knight posted:

e: the best dessert is a pie with a man hidden inside, apparently
it's nice to see you regard the story of your conception so highly

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

no it isn't. people are broadly credulous and superstitious, and they have a natural tendency to anthropomorphize everything, and they can be fooled by incredibly dumb tricks.

nah you're wrong and also kinda talkin out your rear end on this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no. "do people generally consider this thing to be a human intelligence" is a stupid metric. humans think all kinds of things are smart when they are not (computers, pets, elon musk) and ascribe human behaviors to inanimate objects that can never have them all the time because that is how humans understand the world.

yes i am aware of the epistemological argument, brain in a jar, p-zombies, blah blah. those are irrelevant. this is a pragmatic question of whether a specific system is a suitable replacement for a human intelligence in specific situations, not whether we will hypothetically someday come up with a system that does fool everyone in every situation, or whether something counts as smart because stupid people think it is.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I have chatted to it a few minutes and it is indeed very dumb.

yes i agree, very humanlike.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its very much ducktyping to me. If it displays the attributes of intelligence, as most people would understand it, then its intelligent. I dont really think that you need to get into ontologies and whether pattern-matching is knowledge or whether it "knows" things or any of these other questions that I have never heard resolved to anyones satisfaction for humans either.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you showed chatgpt to an AI researcher from the 80s or 90s or even early 00s and asked them if it was an AI I think they'd have said yes. We know how it works so we're inclined to say that no its not intelligent but I am not sure whether knowing how it works should factor into the decision.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

rotor posted:

if you showed chatgpt to an AI researcher from the 80s or 90s or even early 00s and asked them if it was an AI I think they'd have said yes. We know how it works so we're inclined to say that no its not intelligent but I am not sure whether knowing how it works should factor into the decision.

:wrong:

No, this was a part of AI research back then too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think there's any way to know whether current machine learning stuff can (or maybe more accurately theoretically could if cpu speed was still doubling every 18 months) eventually lead to something like actual intelligence. I think that it most likely won't but I'm not convinced that anyone can guarantee that it won't or that it's really possible to know the answer at this point.

We don't understand how the brain works in the least so it's easy for us to imagine that there's all sorts of magic stuff going on in there, but honestly who the gently caress knows?

Maybe all you need is to slap on some sort of additional stuff on top of chatgpt, how the gently caress should I know.

That said I don't think the human race is ever going to be in a position to find out at this point.

endlessmonotony posted:

No, this was a part of AI research back then too.
So what? It didn't work at all then, and it's working better now. If AI didn't actually hit a wall during the ai winter like people thought then how can we actually know what its limits are?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we can agree to disagree.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

rotor posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sure ok

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Things aren't working better now, we're hitting the same wall we did back then, the wall we knew existed well before we had the computing power to test it.

Understanding the world requires a mental model of the world, and without it, you've got a system that repeats what it hears, and nothing else.

It's not a natural language processing breakthrough because it can't extract meaning from the words used, it can't translate what you want into controlling some other system.

Sagebrush is, very unfortunately, right. In that specific post. People thinking something seems intelligent is a stupid metric.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it absolutely can translate what you say into some other system though; the dumb bing bot does indeed do bing searches.

sagebrush is both right and wrong, in that people are not a good metric for intelligence, but otoh people by and large do not seem to be misunderstanding chatgpt *that* deeply (outside a handful of people, like nyt headline writers and that one google engineer).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also lets move to the chatgpt thread please, i love the cyberpunk thread for *not* being about extremely shallow current tech garbage.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
A system being better at replicating human speech doesn't make it more intelligent - or indeed, more useful - any more than house prices going up makes an economy healthy. Ironically, recognizing these specific fuckups in thinking is key to evaluating intelligence in the first place. What being a techie helps understand is that this is a solution looking for a problem - it's completely unable to understand if the information its regurgitating is right or wrong, which means you need an use case for a robot that produces infinite amounts of vaguely plausible bullshit.

None of this is vaguely new, these are all known problems in research of cognition, perception, and intelligence.

Hell, my entire thing is focused around the topic of being wrong in banal, predictable ways that people don't do because they know them to be wrong, just so I can understand why people form the ideas of how they need to act to be right or wrong. And then not repeating that mistake myself and instead making more boring mistakes because I know how hill climbing algorithms work and that's a mistake that's very easy to be.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also lets move to the chatgpt thread please, i love the cyberpunk thread for *not* being about extremely shallow current tech garbage.

Agreed.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Oh but doctor,

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

endlessmonotony posted:

Things aren't working better now, we're hitting the same wall we did back then, the wall we knew existed well before we had the computing power to test it.

Understanding the world requires a mental model of the world, and without it, you've got a system that repeats what it hears, and nothing else.

It's not a natural language processing breakthrough because it can't extract meaning from the words used, it can't translate what you want into controlling some other system.

Sagebrush is, very unfortunately, right. In that specific post. People thinking something seems intelligent is a stupid metric.

and I think the point people - or at least me - are making is that "understanding the world" is a very vague concept and that if it acts in all cases as though it is intelligent then perhaps it "understands the world" albeit in a way that you're not prepared to accept as "understanding"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fair enuf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Not that I disagree about moving it but cyberpunk is all about shallow tech garbage!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Not that I disagree about moving it but cyberpunk is all about shallow tech garbage!

in regards to technical depth maybe, but if there's one thing that defines cyberpunk it is deep societal commentary. and while gpt stuff might get there, it for sure isn't happening, or is obviously about to happen, now.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

rotor posted:

both parties coming to an agreement that each other is unsalvagably stupid does imply some level of understanding

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

both parties coming to an agreement that each other is unsalvagably stupid does imply some level of understanding

:rolleyes:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RokosCockatrice posted:

that is fun. shamelessly stolen from a friend:

your friend is catastrophically stoned with this thing outside of a wendy's?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

E: missed the agreement to move on. I think it's pretty obvious to any yosposter that rotor isn't unsalvageably stupid though!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 25, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

facialimpediment posted:

So all of this AI poo poo is basically just rebranded chatbots, but you very much shouldn't rely on voice passwords anymore, apparently!

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1628798416754032643?t=bDU1QwXLdaCsFi4i3XJXmg&s=19

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1628802287698329601?t=7iz-L_gFaQLs-dxMjG9FEQ&s=19

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

distortion park posted:

E: missed the agreement to move on. I think it's pretty obvious to any yosposter that rotor isn't unsalvageably stupid though!

yeah i think the right joke was distain for one anothers opinion. IDK sorry rotor not on my a game here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

infosec.exchange/@thegrugq/109931380593033961

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
a full auto 3D printed gun seems like an extremely bad idea

or or those only partially printed and the important parts are metal

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

a full auto 3D printed gun seems like an extremely bad idea

or or those only partially printed and the important parts are metal

probably that second one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can see a metal barrel sticking out. i'd imagine they are basically just printed plastic housings over real gun parts.

since it is a guerilla group, perhaps the intention of the wild colors is subterfuge or smuggling

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

you can see a metal barrel sticking out. i'd imagine they are basically just printed plastic housings over real gun parts.

since it is a guerilla group, perhaps the intention of the wild colors is subterfuge or smuggling

i would wager metal smoothbore barrel and bolt with plastic everything else.

for a fun time, look up “gun barrel electrochemical machining”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

id be pretty shocked if those printed magazines worked at all well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
You can 3D print the lower and possibly even the upper, as long as the firing mechanism, barrel, bolt, etc is all metal it would probably work just fine

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

iirc the only part that is a "gun" is the receiver, everything else you can buy as a spare part without any overhead.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

aah, heres the vice video that 100% of my opinions are based on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4dBuPJ9p7A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

it turna out "how far homemade guns have come" is surprisingly far because gun science has been aggressively trying to make guns simpler and easier to manufacturer for a hundred years