Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cold on a Cob posted:

the bubble isn't deflating

we've had like no ipos lately so i feel like it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, actual interest rates mean no free gambles on IPOs, and the layoff wave backs that up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the layoff wave including the massive blue chip tech institutions doubly backs that up

FAANG growth halting or reversing means the entire sector is in for a fun time

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
it seems like all the big tech companies have suddenly started introducing paid "premium" features for end-users

this may suggest that they're collectively feeling a squeeze and trying to put together recurring revenue streams that aren't advertising or infinite userbase growth and "making it up on volume"

it is also possible, though, that twitter's utterly shameless blue check poo poo has shaken loose long-held taboos about actually charging people for services and they're just trying to scoop up extra cash, in the same character as all the companies that were willing to burn reputation to shill a couple NFTs last year

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
targetted advertising is going away soon, due to legal and technical advancements, and even though it's been shown to not work much better than context based ads, it's literally the only id any tech corp has ever had and they don't think they can make money any other way. so instead, they've resorted to literally asking for money for nothing, for a few blue pixels

the shocking thing to me is that they're not looking into stuff like just old fashioned context based ads. but maybe they are actually doing that behind the scenes, and they can just flip a switch once apple and chromium or the european commission kill cookies and tracking

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

still waiting for zuck to take "full responsibility" for all the fuckups and layoffs like he said he would

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Internet Janitor posted:

you'd think that if somebody takes a subject seriously enough to write a paper that advances a field they'd have earned "scholar", but apparently you'd be wrong

while your were studying ancient history, I studied the blade *snips scissors in ur face*

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

it seems like all the big tech companies have suddenly started introducing paid "premium" features for end-users

this may suggest that they're collectively feeling a squeeze and trying to put together recurring revenue streams that aren't advertising or infinite userbase growth and "making it up on volume"

it is also possible, though, that twitter's utterly shameless blue check poo poo has shaken loose long-held taboos about actually charging people for services and they're just trying to scoop up extra cash, in the same character as all the companies that were willing to burn reputation to shill a couple NFTs last year

it’s this. el musko’s flagrant cash grabs over the past couple months, combined with augustus doo’s new paid verification scheme (when laid against the backdrop of mass layoffs and unpaid bills) smacks of people who know the bubble is about to pop and are making a last desperate hoovering up of idiot’s money before the wheels come off.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
the bubble is not 'about to pop'. the bubble popped like 4 months ago.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

idk why but i think trig introduce me to them

anyway, tune

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

post hole digger posted:

It's not popping fast like an actual bubble though. It's just slowly deflating like a ratty old air mattress. I want a kaboom

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

idk why but i think trig introduce me to them

anyway, tune

trig probably introduced you to them because theyre great

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i know yall hate everybody that works at google, but ngl it feels pretty bad to read that people i like and who ostensibly like me think it'd be funny if we lost our house

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
just be glad you don't work for facebook

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
since you're here, could you fix search?

tia

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i hope you kept on diversifying from your rsu's from the last time you mentioned that you did that

there's no such thing as job security in this business. the execs and investors ripped out their "dont defect" button from their side of the iterated prisoners dilemma and put a brick on the "defect" button, thats the rub. hope you get your interviewing mojo back

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
condolences if you got the Job Insecure Fear. i just live with it all the time forever but i am a weirdo who chooses it, obviously most peeps hate it

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Achmed Jones posted:

i know yall hate everybody that works at google, but ngl it feels pretty bad to read that people i like and who ostensibly like me think it'd be funny if we lost our house

yeah yospos has always simultaneously held the idea that 'tech bubble is bad and should fail' and 'choosing to work for tech bubble is okay because it pays like 6x anything else and taking care of you and yours is good'. it's much harder now that tech bubble is actually failing to not come across as a shithead when it's good people losing their jobs instead of the tech bubble leaders.

(I posted that twitter had too many employees when they got bought and that hasn't aged well).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sagebrush posted:

It's not popping fast like an actual bubble though. It's just slowly deflating like a ratty old air mattress. I want a kaboom

we'll get a kaboom when a debt zombie everyone thought was ok declares bankruptcy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
goog, fb have debt to equity of sub 0.1. apple is at 1.75ish, microsoft at 0.25ish. compare to mariott at 17 or colgate at 75

oracle is a promising one at -20x ratio (negative shareholder equity). also the ratio might not be it, it might just be debt amount or some other thing. also i have a raging hatred of larry ellison like any other sane peep should

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 25, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
watch it be microstrategy, again

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Yeah it’s been a stressful few months at Amazon. Im with AWS but am on a smaller team that isn’t profitable, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they axed us and we’d be totally screwed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

anime was right posted:

watch it be microstrategy, again

no contagion with anyone important tho

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bob dobbs is dead posted:

no contagion with anyone important tho

if youre looking for contagion twitter is basically attached at the hip to tons of SMM/ad companies. its not gonna ruin the whole ecosystem but it could drag a lot down with it.

zoom or shopify seem like good bets for being large enough and potentially eating poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i hope you kept on diversifying from your rsu's from the last time you mentioned that you did that

there's no such thing as job security in this business. the execs and investors ripped out their "dont defect" button from their side of the iterated prisoners dilemma and put a brick on the "defect" button, thats the rub. hope you get your interviewing mojo back

yeah it'd have to be _pretty bad_ for us to actually miss a mortgage payment or anything like that, but on a long enough timeline it's still a possibility. tbh i have more than i'm comfortable with in goog from when their poo poo was absolutely bodying the market but i also have more than that in both oldjob's stock and plain ol index funds.

but i do infosec. depending on who you ask, my field is either the last to go or the first to go. i'm also remote. if i lose my job, realistically i'll have to pick between staying remote (read: continuing to live with my family) and struggling or making comfortable money but having to live away from my family with 5 roommates

could be a lot worse, though. how i feel will probably be significantly impacted by comp discussions in a couple weeks.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

infernal machines posted:

since you're here, could you fix search?

tia

i already did but you're not doing it right

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yeah yospos has always simultaneously held the idea that 'tech bubble is bad and should fail' and 'choosing to work for tech bubble is okay because it pays like 6x anything else and taking care of you and yours is good'. it's much harder now that tech bubble is actually failing to not come across as a shithead when it's good people losing their jobs instead of the tech bubble leaders.

(I posted that twitter had too many employees when they got bought and that hasn't aged well).

i feel like if you can comfortably slash 10s of thousands of jobs, destroying that many people's livelihoods, after burning through 9000 billion dollars on a personal pet project, you should have your assets seized and be put under examination so we can study these sociopaths and figure out how to get rid of them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

thanks! :cheers:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i think the proper method is to only want to find the things that google will return

anyway, very earnestly, good luck. i hope you're able to keep your job as-is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

google should just have someone you can email and they go find the website you want for you in google's card catalog

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Shame Boy posted:

google should just have someone you can email and they go find the website you want for you in google's card catalog

library reference desks still exist and they're very good

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Shame Boy posted:

Pizza website? Let me call my Mancierge

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d4WrPkKc2Wg

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

https://twitter.com/burstofbeaden/status/1083137440120885248?s=46&t=-cv_KJW1O1sZKOJd49k1xQ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

for a while there was a story getting repeated on these forums that in the 1960s lockheed had run pine wood through the nuclear reactor at GANL and through a mysterious radioactive process it became incredibly strong and glossy and they called it LOCKWOOD.

i wasn't aware of any process that could do that and was very interested in how it could happen, so i dug around a bit and found a reference to an issue of the lockheed corporate quarterly magazine from that era that contained the word "lockwood." it was only available in a box in the basement of georgia tech's library.

i called our library's reference desk and made an ILL request and had a scan of the article in my email inbox by the end of the week. it turns out that it wasn't a mysterious transformation of the wood with the power of the atom -- they just soaked wood blocks in acrylic monomer and then cured it with gamma radiation into a polymer composite. still very cool but much more mundane and no supernatural processes involved.

i love the library

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

there’s a lot of youtubers who are independently rediscovering weird old tricks like that in various fields and the comments always have one greybeard dude who knew about it and references an obscure paper or book from decades ago describing the process

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

A lot of it was just corrections for the open positions/consumption that was needed during peak covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

this poo poo makes me think i should actually try and contact the belarusian state archives' media collection desk to request a copy of this obscure 1980s movie

the film studio actually has it along with a bunch of other neat archival stuff (and a bunch of unfortunate modern garbage) on their youtube channel, but the copy there has a bunch of audio muted because the late 80s soviet union wasn't exactly proactive about obtaining international licenses (if they obtained any licenses) for american and british music in their film soundtracks